RTW the Jamie Z Way: Going to Yucatan.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    I have better luck the less I mess with a chain...
    Jamie Z likes this.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well crap. Another email from Ludwig this morning.

We have to take a Covid test in Mexico before we leave. He mentioned that last time. We also have to take another test when we arrive in Cuba, and then wait three days at anchor before we can disembark onto the island.

I understand the Covid procedures... but this means three fewer days to explore the island and $280 in additional expenses. It's a bummer, but I don't see any other option. If I don't go now, I don't know when I'll have another opportunity.
    juno, AngusMcL, Davidprej and 2 others like this.
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Exactly. Don't wait for tomorrow, it may never come.... Too many people wait for "later" and they never have the opportunity to do the things they wanted to do for one reason or another.

Go for it Jamie Z, you're doing it right.
    Mcahron, astroman1, motofshr and 7 others like this.
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That's the way I'm approaching it right now. I've tried to figure out when might be a "better" time to go to Cuba, but I realize it may not ever happen, or if it does, it'll be under quite different circumstances.

I had a chance to go to Cuba in 2007, and I didn't go. While I don't consider that a mistake, I don't want to miss the opportunity again.

Regarding chain/sprockets and rear tire. I'm guessing Mexico City will offer the best choices, no? I think my stuff is good for a little while yet, and I'll be going right past Mexico City.
    newcastlebob, juno, Ladybug and 4 others like this.
  5. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I can understand your sentiment and I'm not religious at all but I can still enjoy the colonial architecture and the way these buildings are used today in those communities. I think it's healthy to remember the history but I also think it's important to reconcile and move on. And it's worth noting the oppression and cruelty is still happening in our own communities as well as those in LA, the players have changed, of course. Baja is interesting to me in that it really bears little resemblance to the mainland. Your observations are certainly an influence but you'll understand what I mean when you get over to the mainland. I'm jealous, you have some great experiences ahead of you.
    Scribe, Jamie Z, dano619 and 4 others like this.
  6. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    these trips are much harder on consumables and much more difficult to purchase/replace than you think. At 11000 mi. that chain should've perhaps stayed home, big trips deserve a new chain/tires/pads (carry the old used pads as spare).
    For my .02 a new chain/tires is way more important than Cuba right now (cuba is, in a covid world, a long way away from where you are). La Paz is next for you the previously posted link is super helpful for shops. I've used the Motopartes.bcs shop for tires on two occasions, good guys. Find yourself a good O-ring chain and a squirt bottle of cheep thick gear lube, new tires (pads?), then go find some cerveza y taco's! As to maintenance, personally i'd give a squirt every now and then and keep it tensioned correctly, never even consider brush/clean/fussing as it cuts into beer time.
    Would like to be down south again but am locked up here above the 49th.

Been following your trip from the get go.
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I differ from the previous comments on tires and chains on changing before I enter Mexico. I have never had a problem finding both these items when travelling in Mexico. It may take a day or 2 but the search is fun and gives you interaction time with very helpful Mexicans.
  8. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mexico City is a huge metropolis. With all the benefits, congestion and problems that brings. You can certainly find something there. But getting around can be a PITA if you don't know where you're going. You'll have to make a determination as to how much life is left in the parts you have. Realize that getting stuck somewhere might mean a few days or more delay. Not necessarily a bad thing unless you're on a deadline and have a boat to catch. Plan accordingly.
  9. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    The search can be fun, and also lets you know where you're at with the Spanish language...:lol3
    Cal likes this.
  10. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    Totally agree with the previous 3 comments. Precisely how the shop in LA paz was discovered. Becomes a bit of a scavenger hunt, a fun thing.
  11. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feedback from a Baja forum consensus is to start looking sooner than later. If you find what you need in La Paz, you can strap it on your bike and swap when it's time.
    https://www.google.com/maps/search/...fornia+Sur,+Mexico/@24.145126,-110.315149,15z
    La Paz Honda dealer Ph number: +526121295311

Cabo San Lucas is another option, if you have time.
    Honda dealer ph # +526242473782
    https://www.google.com/maps/search/...rnia+Sur,+Mexico/@22.8976295,-109.9407625,14z

Mazatlan:
    https://www.google.com/maps/search/Motos,+Mazatlan,+Mexico/@23.24577,-106.4370451,14.1z
    There is or was, a Honda Moto dealer there, but no phone number.

Puerto Vallarta:
    https://www.google.com/maps/search/...co/@20.6591128,-105.2645083,13z/data=!3m1!4b1

Mexico City.... I'm not sure if this applies to foreigners or not, but driving in the city is regulated by your license plate number. Last number of plate, even or odd. Even, drive on even days of the month. Odd, drive on odd days of the month.
    It's a zoo in that city as far as navigating goes... hire a taxi and follow him to the address you want.

Motos, Mexico City:
    https://www.google.com/maps/search/Motos,Mexico+City,+CDMX,+Mexico/@19.3672309,-99.1601215,12.04z

Honda Moto, Merida, Yucatan:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...5fde039e5d7a01!8m2!3d20.9679716!4d-89.6187237
    Ph number: +529999280053
    juno, rbsride365, dano619 and 3 others like this.
  12. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z Mexico City is in a red zone, stay at home orders, I would go around it to Puebla via the Arco Norte cuota from San Miguel de Allende.

What size tire do you need?
  13. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Cuba here. It's a beautiful country and I've always found the people very kind and friendly, very much like Mexico.

Load up on candy and trinkets for the kids you'll run into, they'll appreciate it. Just don't hand stuff out in Havana or you'll get swarmed. Everywhere else people are respectful and appreciate anything you can spare, but in Havana they often expect gringos to have stuff and aren't shy about asking for it or even demanding it, if they see you pull stuff out.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. And, unlike what I was warned about, found parts needed for the drivetrain in SA, including 525 chains of decent quality.
    While it’s fine to have one’s favorites (tires-chains-etc), you’ll learn to be fine with what you find.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ed-venture found reasonably priced ADV on
    https://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/
    Shipped to him. On the mainland I'm sure you can source a 150-17" that way.
    He got Mitas E08s

This is about as cheap as it going to be to find an ADV rear in Mexico. They've got 8 left.

Generally 705 fronts last forever.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...cking_id=d66d5e91-724b-4eb1-b0b7-338905d507aa

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...&reco_id=e7a34c8b-2d9b-4778-8194-6b9722b67c57

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...&reco_id=4c1b4ad8-a700-4f49-96dc-c28e2495929d
    mikegc and Hill Climber like this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Mexico City use to be the best prices or Guadalajara, but Mercado Libre is a game changer for getting a price up front vs searching.

Just see how it's going to be shipped or that could be a mess or just buy and go pick them up.

Sellers above are in Tlaquepaque, Jalisco ie Guadalajara. Probably a shop that will mount for you too.

Could be this place?
    Ed @flyingdutchman177 should have a receipt from the place to confirm.

Llantymoto Motorsport
    De La Solidaridad Iberoamericana, Carr. Guadalajara - Chapala 335, El Tapatío, 45580 San Pedro Tlaquepaque, Jal., Mexico
    +52 33 3284 7074
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/7gsyLJbioAAxSKQM9
    Jamie Z likes this.
  17. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too recommend going to Cuba. Then again I'm Cuban so there's that. Would love to visit it one day when/if restrictions are lifted.

Enjoying the hell out of this RR and videos.

Marcos
    Jamie Z likes this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    150/70-17" rear ADV tire.
    Stock is 160-17 but 150-17 more available.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  19. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, that sucks. I have a brand new Sahara 130/80-17 I could have given him.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So how did you determine your chain needs replacement?

Adjust is normal from time to time, but continual need of adjustment ie most every way is the sign it's shot.

Are the o-rings falling apart?
    Is your front sprocket worn and hooked?
    Usually counter sprockets worn out is what will wear out chains.

You know you need f&r sprockets plus a chain too if the chain is at the end.
    Ride it several days and see if it needs and adjustment again. That's the indicator.

You may or may not need a Honda dealership for the sprockets atleast.
    Does not look like the 500X is sold in Mexico so it might get interesting crossing those. A Honda dealership is best place to start for sure collecting parts.