RTW the Jamie Z Way: Going to Yucatan.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Oh in a pinch I'm sure it would mount up.
    I'd say that Mitas E08 rear is his best option for the $ in the direction he's headed.
    Very similar in use to a 705.
    https://www.mitas-moto.com/en/products/motorcycle--trail--tires
    Animo likes this.
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    It's too bad when you were at San Borja that you couldn't have gone on a tour with the son. For one, he speaks excellent English. But he explained that he and his family are the last of his group if indigenous people of the region and that his family are the last that can speak their language or dialect. He said the church pretty much closed down because all the slave labor the people were forced to endure had killed off the men used for the heavy lifting.
  3. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man Ohhhhh Man, this report is R double OO rockin!!

Thanks!!
    Jamie Z likes this.
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    13 January 2021

Last night I got ambitious and took advantage of the fantastic desk in my room to work on my next video. My last video got a good reaction, and I’ve got another in the works with a little different camera work.

20210112_223304~2.jpg

And after a couple of (large) beers, thought it was a good time to do laundry. But where? The bathroom sink was a little small, and it didn’t have hot water. And there wasn’t a bathtub. I needed a basin of some sort.

Oh, what’s that? A wastebasket in my room? That’s like a wash basin.

A squirt of Dawn dish detergent, a gallon of hot water from the showerhead, and two manual cycles of kneading and scrubbing, and my clothes were clean. Well… as clean as they’ve been since I arrived in Mexico.

20210112_232849~2.jpg

I hung them to dry across the bathroom and went to bed.

20210112_235448~2.jpg

Having stayed up late, I woke up around 9am. My clothes were mostly dry.

I had no destination, just heading south.

Screenshot_20210113-211644_Chrome~2.jpg

The first section is completely flat and straight. When there was a bit of scenery, I pulled over to take a photo.

20210113_132422~2.jpg

And then a little later, more scenery.

20210113_134326~2.jpg

Shortly I arrived in La Paz where I’ll be leaving by ferry in a few days.

20210113_151640~2.jpg

I intend to spend some more time in La Paz, but first I want to make a loop of the southern tip of the peninsula, I checked out for places I might stay. I had promised myself to camp out tonight. I need to start getting my budget in check. Nightly hotel rooms aren’t going to be sustainable.

I found a potential place on iOverlander, right near the coast about an hour away. To get there is a long sandy track that leads directly to the beach. I arrived just before sunset.

20210113_173852~2.jpg

I walked around a bit, but unfortunately this was not a good place to camp. There was no protection from the wind, which was kicking up sand in all directions, and any ground which wasn’t fine, blowing sand, was either prickly plants or lumpy and uneven from endless cattle traffic.

20210113_181114~2.jpg

I rode up the beach a ways and made several loops on foot to try to find someplace, anyplace, to set up my tent. I mean, in a pinch, I could have set it up just about anywhere. The thought of the blowing sand and the cow crap everywhere didn’t make it impossible, but unappealing.

Since Todos Santos was only about 20km away, I headed that way in the dark and found a room at the Hotel Guluarte for 500 pesos. It’s my first ride up the sidewalk to park my bike next to my room on this trip.

20210113_192943~2.jpg

It’s not a bad spot, and it’s a cool town. I walked around and found some tacos.

20210113_200721~2.jpg
    jon_l, BigDogRaven, Smidty and 27 others like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z likes this.
  6. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    You'd think so, right? But the best life I ever had on both tires and chain was that trip I took to Mexico in 2007. I don't remember the details exactly; I know I rode on Metzeler Tourance tires, probably DID chain. The trip itself was 16,000 miles, and I remember when I got back, my tires still had decent life left and I rode them for another month or two. Same with the chain. Lasted the whole trip plus a while after I got home.

Wow! Thanks for that excellent information!

Admittedly I am a procrastinator, but sooner seems unnecessary.

Here's my tire today:

20210113_160239~2.jpg

It still has decent tread. It's just worn faster than I was expecting.

A little insight into my thought process, The Jamie Z Way™. When I left home, my front tire was brand new. Rear tire had something around 1000 miles on it. Chain was factory, with about 7000 miles on it. The plan was to head south to Mexico and Cuba for four or five months, then return to the US for the summer. At that time, I would replace tires, chain, sprockets, brake pads, etc, before heading south again in the fall. Clearly I underestimated the mileage I'd get out of my tires and chain.
    Hi Marcos. When did you leave Cuba? I'd love to hear the story if you care to share.

Where were you from in Cuba? Do you still have family there? Could I go and revisit anyplace in particular for you and get some photos to post?

I'm no chain expert.

I adjusted the chain in California before I entered Mexico. At that time, it had a lot of slack in it. A few days ago I started to notice clunking and banging. I checked the slack and it was quite loose again. I've adjusted it to the loose end of the spec. There is still room to move the rear wheel back some more. I also noticed that the chain hangs with some kinked links. And those clunks when I accelerate have not gone completely away.

Rear sprocket looks fine! I should post a photo.
    You bring up a point which I didn't delve into. If you go to just about any mission and read/hear about the history of that mission, there's almost always something like, "The mission closed up in 1820 because of the diminishing local population." In other words, by 1820, they had killed off and exploited just about everyone, so there was no more need to be out here in the middle of nowhere.

I had the pleasure of befriending an indigenous Mayan the last time I was in Mexico. I lost contact with him a few years ago, but I'm going to make an effort to reconnect with him again. Some of you might remember Sergio:

IMG_1695~2.JPG

Sergio was a devout Catholic.
    Smidty, BIG OIL, juno and 14 others like this.
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    juno and eakins like this.
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    The front (countershaft) sprocket shows wear more quickly since it spins several times so that's where I'd check but lots of bikes have that covered which makes it mildly more of a PITA to check. Also, the kinked links are concerning - I'd lube the heck out of it, work the kinked links, and see if you can free them up some. When you have the rear wheel off, check the rubber dampers in the rear hub as that could cause a clunk if they are excessively worn
    Hill Climber likes this.
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me where this is?

I took this photo in 2007, and I'd like to go back to this same place. it's how I might find Sergio.

IMG_1703~2.JPG
    juno likes this.
  10. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, binge read complete. Happy to stumble on to this report. I've been reading your threads and posts for a couple years. Sometimes I think you are full of hooey (the dear Penthouse variety), but dang you write well and your pics are great.

And I like and appreciate the work you put into the video's. A nice, easy to watch short video that tells the story, shows the scenery and the ride, easy to watch while following along in the RR.

Thanks for putting in the time and work it takes to do a real time RR. I am subscribed and looking forward to updates.

Oh yea....Where is your drivers license at today? :jack
    Jamie Z, oldskool63 and tomcat9 like this.
  11. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, @Jamie Z
    I spent a bit of time doing a bit of searching and the only thing I came up with was this in Oxchuc:
    N16.78162 W92.33738
    The streets 1ra, 2da and 3ra Calle, may be named Primerea, Segunda and Tercera (from Google maps)

Oxchuc.jpg
    Jamie Z likes this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    This is the city, county, state per say on that sign.

Paxtontijá
    Chiapas, Mexico
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/CMkqdXcRNyEmrzBw8

Unless Paxtontija is a colonia (neighborhood) in Oxchuc? But I don't see one.

Oxchuc
    Chiapas, Mexico
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/d81q1ufXJtc6MAyg9

Those areas look familiar?
    If you find that Prebestarian Church then show them that pic.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That tire should easily make it to Guadalajara if you choose that avenue to source another.
    It's colder so rubber lasts longer.

Then carry the new tire with and change when needed.
    You'll find a llanta shop most anywhere you go.

You're learning with that weight what the rear on that bike lasts. Maybe put a higher mileage rear on for the next round back in the US.
    Those Mitas E07 original or K60 do last a real long time. An E07 f&r might be the ideal tires for your setup. That front 705 should make it 20k as reported by many others so all you need is a rear till you are back next summer.

It's the front sprocket you need to look at.
    That's the one that wears fastest and then takes the chain out.

If you can only source 1 sprocket the front is a key one to buy & a chain.

To get the longest chain life (on a high end chain) many run a front sprocket no more than 10,000 mi then replace it with another new one. You often can get well past 20,000 miles with this technique vs a worn sprocket wearing out a chain towards the end. Some get 30,000 this way.
  15. Cactus Dave

Cactus Dave Born to Argue

Oddometer:
    Re: Tires & Chain:

- I have used the Heidenau K60 Scout tires and they are a good dual sport option. They last a long time for a dual sport tire as they are a fairly hard compound. They also have a stiff sidewall, so spooning them on/off requires good technique, and a bit of patience. They make a 150/70-17 rear. I can't imagine you'd find them at a moto shop in Mexico - hence, this would be an order ahead, have it shipped and pickup option.

- Any dual sport tire you choose will wear relatively quickly given your gvw and the highway miles.

- Beware of counterfeit DID chains. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. I've encountered 2 such chains purchased off Ebay at "really good" prices. false economy is what resulted and I'm fortunate the consequences were not worse. A "real" DID chain will cost $100+. The counterfeits are $50-ish. Close inspection when you get it will most likely reveal the offending item, but, if you don't know what you're looking for, it can be iffy. Unfortunately, I now know what to look for. DID knows they have a problem: In Indonesia they have a website where you can input your product code and determine whether you have a counterfeit chain. All of the foregoing stated, I almost exclusively used DID chains - road racing, dual sport, road - they make an excellent product.

- Sprockets and chain as a set is my recommendation. Otherwise most likely will be false economy and frustration.

Enjoying your report and the adventure. All the very best as you continue.

Cheers,

Dave
    juno likes this.
  16. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad about the paywall, looks like in interesting article.
  17. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:

One word of advice is to make sure you mount the new tire before you go to Cuba. It will almost definitely get stolen in Cuba if you don't.
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update @Jamie Z! Nothing like doing some laundry in a trash can after a couple of big beers :lol2 :lol2. I remember lots of times using hand soap in a sink to wash travel weary clothes; amazing how much funk comes out with just a little kneading :lol3

Sucks you weren't able to find a camping spot on the beach, but camping on a beach when the sand is blowing and getting in everything you own is a really shitty experience. Never forget camping in a sandstorm in Saline Valley (Death Valley); had sand and grit in everything - one of the worst nights of camping.

Haven't been that far south on the peninsula, so it's great to see your shots and read your experiences. Really cool you found Todos Santos to be a good town and those tacos look frickin' fantastic man.

Knobby side down; hope hanging in La Paz while you wait for the ferry is enjoyable.
  19. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ed used "Mercado Libre" to get a pair of Mitas delivered, good price also.

Do try to change out Chain & sprockets together, maybe available same way??

My CB-X ruined a new chain in 8K, prev owner had a new chain fitted in the middle a ride, worn sprockets did the rest.
    Very happy with Mitas (E07 orig, E07+, E10, & also H60 ICE), but 7-8K seems my limit (except the E10) all 150-17s (RRaid Wheels)

Enjoying the RR, happy to help ship goods south.

Mike B
    Jamie Z likes this.
  20. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    To check for a worn chain - try to pull the chain away from the rear of the sprocket on the rear wheel. If the chain is worn, you'll reveal about half a tooth of the sprocket. A new chain will wrap around the sprocket snugly and won't pull away.
    jwc, eakins and ktjim like this.