RTW the Jamie Z Way: San Luis Potosi Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That is your list to work from.

Possibly a Suzuki dealership - moto or auto with that Suzuki #. Suzuki sells large motos in Mex that use spin on filters.

Suzuki - Sada
    +52 951 515 1014
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/tETjka3UDhLpbYLE7

Atrum Suzuki Motors of Mexico
    +52 951 144 8805
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ji2Waeg9sygJNT138

Or those AC Delco part cross #
    CHEVROLET MEGA OAXACA
    +52 951 516 4299
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/9eS2RG4oWkTrcWXL7

Then there is a Yamaha cross
    Yamaha Oaxaca
    +52 951 503 0086
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/s3fdVNAenhWivqAm6
    y2blade and yamalama like this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You may even find the auto place has one?
    Honda del Valle
    +52 951 516 5290
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/YP6VpAuoVdBMkJKYA

I would ride around and use those numbers to search for one. After that you might need to have it in your hand and travel via taxi.

If nothing comes up just change the oil, the filter will still work just fine till you get back to the US
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    What? You never stop eating tacos!
    I use to live in Mexico and I eat tacos all the time, they are all a different interpretation.
  4. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z and eakins like this.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    28 de abril

Jamie goes on a Tinder date and gets introspective.

Screenshot_20210502-222356_Chrome~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view?homeActive=1&showAll=1&numDays=30

It’s been an interesting few days… where was I?

Oh yes, I camped near El Chiflon, and in the evening I didn’t have a chance before dark to see the waterfall, so this morning I woke up when I started hearing people around me. I got dressed and walked the path toward the falls.

20210428_090218~2.jpg

The well-maintained walkway parallels the turquoise creek.

20210428_091047~2.jpg

And leads to the first falls.

20210428_091616~2.jpg

There are some intermediate falls, but then the big payoff comes at the end.

20210428_093509~3.jpg

I didn’t expect this. These last falls were spectacular, and as is my custom, I arrived when the sun was in the worst possible location for trying to take photos.

There are campgrounds on both sides of the creek, and from what I could see, the viewpoints on the other side were probably better. I should have camped over there… oh well. Next time I’ll know.

Damn it was hot already. The short walk made me sweaty and I had to break down my tent and suit up.

Along the way I went through miles and miles of sugar cane fields.

20210428_114349~2.jpg

A person could probably make a living simply by gathering the cane which falls off the trucks at every tope.

I stopped for some “tepache.” I put that in quotes because this was not very good, and not like any other tepache I’ve had in the past, but the shop owner was very cool and asked me a lot about my trip and my time in Mexico.

20210428_123052~2.jpg

But it was cold and that's all I wanted.

20210428_121950~2.jpg

A lot of people are shocked when I tell them I’ve ridden my bike all the way from the US.

I was aiming for Tuxtla for another Tinder date. It was a woman I’d matched with last time I was in Tuxtla, we had chatted a few times since then, and I told her I was coming back through town. She suggested a ride into much-cooler San Cristobal, and she had her own helmet!

Steak dinner:

20210428_192338~2.jpg

She was an attractive Mexican woman who grew up in Tuxtla and spoke good English. We had what I thought was a wonderful time together. When I dropped her back off at her house, we made plans to meet up the next day.

...But the next day she was like a different person. Angry at me for reasons I don’t understand. I didn’t see her again.

So I walked into town in the evening, back to the marimba park, where usually there is nightly live music, but for the past year, the music has been canceled. When I walked up I thought maybe there was music after all, but it turned out to be a dancing street performer with recorded music.

20210430_215514~2.jpg

And I managed to find some tacos.

20210430_221503~2.jpg

I took a late-night ride up to a lookout over the city. I parked next to a couple other motorcycles and when I dismounted one guy asked me if I had any tools. He showed me his chain which had at least six inches of slack, and I think explained to me that the chain kept popping off.

I got my tool kit, but my largest socket would not fit his axle nut. Darn. Just as I was about to walk away, I remembered my own wheel removal tools and pulled them out. My front-wheel spanner fit his axle nut and I gave him a wrench for the chain adjusters.

20210430_234312~2.jpg

I only carry tools for other people. Like all Mexicans, he tightened the chain way too tight, but I kept my mouth shut and let him work on his own bike.

Oh.. and the overlook:

20210501_012643~2.jpg

I’d had a long day of doing almost nothing… and a lot of thought. I’ve been a bit down the last couple of weeks. Not really feeling like doing much. Waking up late. Little enthusiasm for the coming days. No doubt a lot of that has to do with the heat I’ve been riding through. It’s been terrible. But I think there’s something else.

Coming back from Cuba gave me the same sense as coming home after a long trip. I wrote about this in a thread a few years ago:

And I feel that way about Cuba. Cuba had a big effect on me, and I haven’t had much of a chance to talk about it. My friends and family at home don’t really care. So I’ve experienced this life-altering event, and there’s nobody to share it with. I’ve got the coming-home blues in the middle of my ride. That’ll probably continue to happen, unfortunately.

I wonder if the other Cuban riders (Fin? Or Amit, you still reading?) have the same feeling after getting back from Cuba.

It’s why my report here has been so important. All the comments and feedback, ideas and suggestions, and encouragement and criticism have been my outlet. I can’t wait until things start getting back to normal, I am vaccinated, and I can start looking at the Tent Space map, where I’ll have an opportunity to meet some other like-minded people with whom I can share thoughts and ideas with someone who is on the same wavelength.
  6. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    JZ, I care. TY for your RR.
    Centerlane, Jamie Z and dano619 like this.
  7. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    re oil filter, on my '16 CB500x the oil filter is almost identical to my Honda Element 2005 (which is just a 1/4" longer) Pretty sure they sold those 4 cyl hondas for years in MX. So, I would look for a filter that fits an Element (Civic also methinks)

Digging the RR!
    Mike B
    DC950 and eakins like this.
  8. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand completely what you're experiencing from my own past and present expeditions.
    The world has changed from a world of curiosity and questions to one of instant gratification, resulting in a "what's in it for me" generation mentality.
    Thirty years ago, one of my brothers and I did a life altering trip (changed my life from that point on) to SE Asia which involved an expedition in Nepal up to 15,000 feet, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia ending with the beaches of Bali. I have photos that rival National Geographic..... When we came home, we were asked to put together a slide and talk show of our experiences. We live in a small village and had 200 show up for the "show"... we spent 3 hours that evening instead of the hour and a half allotted with one on one conversations after the presentation. Today, we wouldn't be asked to put on such an event, and if we did so anyways on our own accord, I doubt if anyone would show up. You're right, nobody cares about other things or events that don't interest them because I believe, it doesn't involve them... no instant gratification. It's a world of selfies and "look at me", selfish generation.

You will find individual people in your future who will want to hear you and be inspired by your stories, but mostly by those who have had a similar experience(s).. how you've learned to appreciate life more now and how you can make it better, not only for yourself but for others too. To me, you express your thoughts and feelings in this RR with pictures and expressive phrases extremely well.. that's why you have a massive following.
    SPS7, DC950, Kevin S. and 18 others like this.
  9. EarsFlappn

EarsFlappn Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    JamieZ,

just to say that one of the first things I do every morning is get my coffee and look for updates on your ride report. people you don't even know exist, care.

stay hydrated,
    Suzanne
  10. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
    This too shall pass.
    juno likes this.
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Echoing the comments made and those that will surely come after reading this post; I eagerly anticipate your updates to this thread @Jamie Z. Though I definitely enjoy the images of places I have yet (and might not ever) experience, I truly appreciate the story you write and experiences you share. They resonate with me not only as a fellow rider, but as a simple person making their way through this nutso thing called life.

I empathize with the trip blues man, experience that same thing upon returning from small trips - can't imagine what it's like coming back from what you've done. I don't do social media outside of this forum, which is one of the reasons I enjoy putting ride reports together myself. In this modern world of technology where everything is so connected, it's a travesty how lonely the experience is for so many (me included).

In any event, if you decide to make your way up the PNW, my home is open to you.

Knobby side down man, your efforts have provided an inspiration to me personally...and I know there's no way in hell I'm the only one.
    snglfin, y2blade, torch and 5 others like this.
  12. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Firstly thank you again for doing this report. It was extremely useful for me on my just completed time in Mexico. I went to some of the places you did, and a couple I beat you to. The additional perspective is very cool. The heat (and humidity) kicked my ass as well. It’s probably hotter now than when I was around there a couple weeks ago. It will make crossing the Sonoran desert seem easy now though.

As for your malaise, I can only imagine how that is. I was “only” down there for seven weeks and the absorption of my experience is at times difficult. That you’ve been going for months, on top of the enormity of your Cuban experience, and still able to keep going is impressive to me.

I too look forward to your postings, and am in for the long, long haul. Eagerly awaiting borders becoming easier to cross.
    Old Codger and Mark Thom like this.
  13. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jamie while we haven't met I enjoy following your trip reports. Personally, I would love to buy you a beer sometimes and listen to your stories and pick your brain.
  14. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z said
    Ha!

I wanted to ask @FinTec about this very thing after seeing his snowboarding pic, but felt foolish about it.

There and back again- nobody on the mountain knew it but him!!

Probably, we've all been there- altered or impacted by an experience which others who have not shared simply cannot understand, relate to or even care about.

While it is fun to share, it can also be fun to have a secret.

I'm sure that some language in this world has a very descriptive word for this feeling....
    Cow Boy Brad, Centerlane and Jamie Z like this.
  15. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Your ride report with your writing style and pictures makes it worthwhile to read. I feel the same way about Ohio Danimal's report. Rich in so many ways.

My longest trip was 3 weeks and I felt the back home let down for a few weeks after, I can't imagine how you will feel after the adventures in Cuba under such stressful conditions. There must be Decompression Blues on the lonely road home.

Always looking forward to your next update.
    juno and Golden955 like this.
  16. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z so if I'm understanding you correctly you're feeling that post-trip blues after being back from Cuba because you yearn to be back there, or instead is it that you want to talk with people/personal friends about your overall experiences and share with them and just aren't able to as you'd like?
  17. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Ready

Oddometer:
    Jaime your RR is truly appreciated and admired. I don't have a way of putting my thoughts into words very well as my communication skills are pretty terrible and I usually end up coming off wrong to people. Because of this I rarely ever post anything, instead I simply hit the like button often. However after your last post I felt compelled to speak up and if anything just say thank you for sharing your experiences. I'd like to say that I totally understand your feelings but I don't have experience with long trips (my longest has only been two weeks). However I do always feel very down and out towards the end of these trips and usually get really depressed for a while after returning home. Can't really explain why. It is the redundancy of my every day life that keeps me dreaming of adventures such as the one you are on.

If by any chance you end up in the northeast US I would be very happy to meet up and converse over a beer if you'd be willing. Keep riding and living man, many people like myself truly are grateful for your story and the effort you put into sharing with us.
  18. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Jamie, obviously you've noticed a lot of followers on this thread...and who knows how many who never comment but keep up with it. Why is that? It's because in most cases we can relate. By "relate" I mean understand the joy, hate, euphoria, and doldrums that can occur across the spectrum of traveling...and especially traveling on a motorcycle. It's like life...it ain't all sunshine and unicorns...and it ain't all drudgery and pain. The ups and downs make you appreciate both ends and also everything in the middle.

For most people, one's relatives, family, friends, and acquaintances are not invested in our travels and interests anyway. Maybe somewhat superficially, or even for a very brief moment just to catch the highlights. And to be honest, there's no requirement on their part or ours that they need to be. We usually do these things like you're doing for ourselves. That's by no means meant to sound like a selfish endeavor. In fact it's an endeavor for self fulfillment that usually fills a void and makes us a better person.

I think what you're feeling momentarily is very common on long, extended trips. It will pass. It's very clear to me that your posts seem to kick it up a notch on the enjoyment meter when you interact with other riders or other people in the communities through which you travel. That is usually some of the more memorable and pleasant highlights we take away from a trip like this, even for those of us who can live within our own head for long periods without interaction...as long as the scenery and in the moment experiences are decent. I think the Cuba situation is indeed an element that may be playing on your mind due to the experiences you anticipated and the reality of what it turned out to be due to covid or whatever...but that's just speculation on my part. I've experienced similar results on trips that I highly anticipated with great eagerness that didn't turn out to be that awesome. But frankly, on trips like yours my greatest joy and memories were of situations, places, scenery, and people that I never expected but turned out to be pinnacles of that trip.

Spots of disappointment and even some negativity are very common while traveling, but in my experience they always pass.
  19. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    if experiencing Cuba did not alter some of your perceptions - then something would be wrong with you, imho. it's a sign of being compassionate/empathetic - two excellent qualities in a human being. these qualities are readily apparent in your FinTEC interview.
    take care.
    mpusms, jon_l, liv2day and 3 others like this.
  20. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jamie, thank you for doing this ride report. I enjoy it and appreciate it. Ed