RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    Jamie Z and dano619 like this.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish I could have found the the same clinics you were seeing. I kept running into information like this:

Screenshot_20210824-052603_Chrome~2.jpg

And the availability of appointments was spotty.
    gpfan, y2blade and Nixels like this.
  3. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Celsius or Fahrenheit?
  4. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be C
  5. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Jamie it was great having you stop by.
    here's a few pictures we snapped while you were here.
    Jamie Z 1.jpg Jamie Z 3.jpg
    DC950, Andyota, liv2day and 23 others like this.
  6. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20210825-162342.png

American exceptionalism, we ain't going to buckle under! bwahahaha.

Attached Files:

ChicoProf, Andyota, imnothng and 10 others like this.
  7. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Golden, thanks so much for the map. Guess there’s no point in adding to your statement. From here in the Far East of Canada I certainly did enjoy the map. May I ask what part of the world you are?
    Jamie good on you for doing this RR. We all be riders. By the way I spent a summer about 8 years ago wandering the forestry roads in central b.c. Look for mapbooks by BACKROAD MAPBOOKS they be out Vancouver and make an excellent product. Get on forestry roads as soon as you can and wander north thru b.c. and camp by any of a few thousand lakes. You will meet extraordinary people. All the best Petepilot
    spokester, SilverAdvRdr and Mofrid like this.
  8. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    August 25, 2021

Chilling.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

I did not sleep great last night. My bruised ribs have been hurting the last few days. Not a lot worse than they have been, but enough to bother me at night when I try to lay on my side. This is exactly how it felt the last time I hurt myself like this. Took months to completely go away.

I tried to get up early and get a bit of work done; I heard David call up to me to ask if I wanted any coffee, so I finished up my ride report and went downstairs.

We looked at maps for a bit, trying to figure out where I should go next. We checked weather, ferry schedules, and riding distances. I had been considering the Port Hardy ferry from Vancouver Island over to Prince Rupert, but the departure and arrival times are not great. The ferry leaves at 7:30am with boarding an hour before, and it arrives to its destination at 11:30pm. And it’s rather expensive.

David’s son John suggested that I should not miss the Island if possible, and we looked at several alternatives to the long ferry. We came up with a more reasonable plan, in my view. Stay tuned.

So today I planned to wander around the area, maybe check out the city of Vancouver and a bit of the surroundings.

I left their house and rode just a bit south to 0 Ave. The roads here are numbered based on the distance from the US border to the south, and (I think) distance from the west coast. Zero Avenue is literally the international boundary.

20210825_121031~2.jpg

The road is in Canada, the houses on the left are in the US. If you look closely you can see one of the stainless steel boundary monuments.

This is what the monuments look like.

20210825_114959~2.jpg

While I rode I listened to travel writer Rick Steves' podcast about the US-Canadia border. https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/1075258225&color=0095c8&auto_play=false&show_artwork=false#

I stayed on 0 Ave for quite a few miles until it reached the Peace Arch. Unfortunately the Canadian side of the park was closed, and the arch inaccessible, but I got a pic from far away.

20210825_122225~2.jpg

The American side of the park is open, and it does appear that Canadians can enter the park. I didn’t stop, though. I didn’t want to step foot in the US and then be refused entry back into Canada.

I had been hoping to get some sort of iconic “Welcome to Canada” picture here. Denied, I did the next best thing.

20210825_131246~2.jpg

Coffee and a cinnamon bun. Apparently I got the wrong thing and should have ordered a double-double, whatever that is.

20210825_131826~2.jpg

I rode into Vancouver. I would later cross the far bridge on my way back.

15111700~2.JPG

My next stop in Vancouver, at a place I heard about online.

20210825_145006~2.jpg

The story is that this place used to have some mundane name, after some old white guy probably. An abstract sculpture was placed in the park that some people said looked like a guy reclining. Then someone placed a renegade park sign with the new name, “Dude Chilling Park.” The city removed the sign, but soon after the local community started a petition, and eventually the name was officially changed.

The original sculpture, which was made from wood, has since been replaced.

20210825_150034~2.jpg

I thought I’d probably stop by the park, take a couple of pictures, and then wander over to the ferry dock heading for the Island. But something drew me in, and I stayed at the park, on a bench, chilling. There were a lot of people coming and going, walking dogs, riding bicycles, laying in the grass. A couple guys played chess.

By the time I got back up and going, it was around 5pm, and now I wasn’t sure if I had enough time for the ferry.

This morning my host David had offered that I could stay another night. I had been wishy-washy. I hate doing that to my hosts, but I don’t always have a good idea of where I’m going. David had given me the code to his garage. So after stopping for dinner and contemplating finding a place to stealth camp or return unannounced to my hosts, I went back to David’s place and parked my bike in the garage.
    gpfan, van the man, ilten and 48 others like this.
  9. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z If it's anything like the east coast be careful. This is the way we (or at least everyone I know) works it.

You've been here more than three times in the last year, you aren't a guest any more, you're family. Get up off your lazy arse and get your own damned beer, you know where it is! :lol3

Once you're family you can never be a guest again so you also get "abused" like family.
    DC950, Andyota, ilten and 7 others like this.
  10. oldskool63

oldskool63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Burned too much time at the Dude Chilling Park! :D

Jamie, your updates are a great way to start the day! Thanks again
    Jamie Z and cprbusa like this.
  11. Wagg

Wagg n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure what direction you are heading but the ride up and area around Whistler may be worth looking at.
    It has been several years now since I was there. The ski lifts up to the gondola is worth doing but not sure how expensive it is now.
    It is a touristy area so probably expensive but beautiful area. Not sure if any of it would even be open though.
    Jamie Z and ktjim like this.
  12. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Are you just staying in BC and points North or heading east in Canada?
  13. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    many years ago I did a circuit NE of Vancouver. One section from Lillooet to Pemberton (I believe) was the best, with a spectacular road and neat little wooden bridges. Your BC hosts might know the exact route, since it's a popularly recommended one.

It's been around 16 years since I went, so things could have changed in terms of desirability, of course.
  14. MrBob

MrBob Long timer

Oddometer:
    We took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy, after catching a train in Winnipeg. The trip down the coast was memorable. I worked on an archaeology dig in Port Hardy during the early 70's and at that time it was mostly a sea plane base with log booms made up in the bay.
  15. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @amol It's the Duffey Lake road. Excellent pavement ride. Continue past Lillooet either south on Hwy 12 to Lytton or NE on Hwy 99 and 97 to Cache Ck. Either way, a great ride from there is Hwy 8 from Spences Bridge to Merritt, which points you towards Hwy 6 from Vernon to Arrow Lakes (via Kelowna) and on into the Kootenays.
    knight likes this.
  16. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I like Port Hardy and hope you make it up that way. A quaint little shore town. https://www.cafeguido.com/ Awesome breakfast stop with excellent mochas. The place doubles as a book store in case you need a book to read in your travels.
    8lives and Jamie Z like this.
  17. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    the Island is great. including Victoria.
    you really should take the Sea to Sky northward from Vancouver. well worth it. - there have been some traffic issues due to paving - the driveBC website should have updates.
    north to Darcy they onto the high line is sublime, imho. you can continue on to Lillooet via this longer route.
    lotsa forest roads, etc to explore in this area - not a lot of traffic back there, and lotsa bears.
    the Hurly Pass can get dusty and rough - beautiful vistas, nevertheless.
    gpfan, Jamie Z and mikegc like this.
  18. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There's an excellent and free campground near Pemberton , provided by B.C. Hydro.
    y2blade likes this.
  19. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a proper Jamie fanboy, I was raised in MN and currently reside in Golden, CO.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  20. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean the BC Hydro campground at Seton Lake, just outside Lillooet? That's an excellent base for exploring in all directions, one of my favourite places to camp.
    SkizzMan and roadcapDen like this.