RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. mazembe

mazembe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you come over to the island via Swartz Bay ,look into the route west of Victoria out to Port Renfrew and on to Lake Cowichan. From there you can go back to the east side of the island or north west to Port Alberni . Also an option on the way to Port Alberni is to detour further west to Pachina Bay which has a great campsite area and the town of Bamfield just down the road is an interesting place . The east side of the island has various sections of the old two lane coastal highway .
    knight likes this.
  2. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That'll be the one. It's been 10 years now , so I checked the map and thought it might be closer to Whistler . I went from Seattle north to Kamloops then south to Mexico and that campground was the last place I camped until Texas. It was mid September and the locals would ask "Why are you here on a motorcycle at this time of year ?"

Edit ; After being wrong about where the campground was , I thought I should have a look at my 10 year old ride report to see what else I had wrong. Timing ,it's off by a month. I got to Canada on October 7th and back into the states on the 14th.
    So Jamie , you likely have 6 weeks or so before the locals start hinting you should head south.
    Nixels, uncle m and Jamie Z like this.
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    So, I was looking at this:

Then I read this:

Looks like the good people of Point Roberts are strangers in their own land ?
    Jamie Z likes this.
  4. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    And have suffered mightily with the border restrictions. I have a cousin who lives there and getting anywhere has been difficult.
  5. Carl_Mega

Carl_Mega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    View attachment 3155501

I'm going with this, dude.

Mom 048.JPG
  6. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    August 26, 2021

An island surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water.

Screenshot_20210827-004145_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

David and his two boys were leaving today on their own motorcycle adventure. Their bikes were parked in the garage, ready to go. I woke up early and we all geared up and rode the first few kilometers together.

09185900~2.JPG

When they turned east, I turned west. Safe travels, David, John, and Alexander.

Late last night Pawlie on here had sent me a message inviting me. I replied to him that I’d be available for breakfast this morning and he agreed. I met Paul at his and we walked down the street to Sophie’s Cosmic Cafe.

20210826_111726~2.jpg

The meal was excellent, and the atmosphere eclectic. I pointed out the several portraits of the Queen hanging on the wall.

Paul had brought along a map of Vancouver Island and we talked about a few possible routes. After breakfast we returned to Paul’s place and looked through the maps some more, checking ferry schedules and weather forecasts. Hollyr messaged to remind me that she lives on Vancouver island and invited me to stay.

An oil change will be due soon, and who knows where I’ll be when that happens, so on the way out of town I went to the nearby Honda dealership to buy a filter. The rain was coming down steady by now.

20210826_135455~2.jpg

Then to the ferry. I had a 40-minute ride on what would ordinarily be a scenic route out of Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay, but today with the rain and fog, I couldn’t see much.

15160800~2.JPG

Unfortunately my rain pants did not fare well. It wasn’t long before I was sitting in water. I turned on my heated seat, so at least it was warm water.

I followed the signs for the ferry and waited in line; the rain let up a bit here.

15550800~2.JPG

Motorcycles were first to board and I parked up front. They had wedges available to keep the bike stable. I haven’t seen these before.

20210826_153051~2.jpg

The ferry set sail at 3:55pm, aimed for the town of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

20210826_160319~2.jpg

20210826_160524~2.jpg

Once off the ferry, the skies were now merely mostly cloudy, and a bit of blue sky and sun shone through. The rain had stopped!

The main highway on Vancouver Island is divided four-lane here.

20210826_183554~2.jpg

I had talked about this with Paul this morning. He encouraged me to get off the main road and explore some of the smaller out-and-back and loop roads. I plan to do that in the next couple of days.

Hey, I found another scale. I get a kick out of these. 270 rods to the hogshead, that’s the way I like it.

20210826_184228~2.jpg

I got off the main road for a few miles...er furlongs; the road went down along the shoreline and there was no traffic.

20210826_191039~2.jpg

20210826_191710~2.jpg

And this is just for Doug.

20210826_191620~2.jpg

When I arrived to Holly’s place in Sydney, just outside the capital of Victoria, she had the steaks grilling. We sat down to eat almost immediately.

20210826_203620~2.jpg

And then cake!

20210826_220611~2.jpg

Holly and I have worked together on the Tent Space list for years and I was glad to finally meet her. She has a long motorcycling history and showed me pictures, books, and maps, and told me a few stories about her travels in Europe.
  7. Chabochi

Chabochi Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome as always. Safe travels.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  8. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Josh, thanks for taking the time to put that together. I'm always curious what others think while I'm passing through, and it's interesting to see my trip from anothers perspective.

For those of you who have not met Josh, take a closer look of the helmet-cam picture I took of him on the road.

11563300~4.JPG

We were chatting over intercom and that's him talking with his hands. :lol3
    TomTrek, gpfan, liv2day and 16 others like this.
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    You guys have me flumoxed. Got a Google Map link to this free campground? I'll add it to my map.

Oh man. Point Roberts has a crazy story and history.

Skip ahead to 30:00: https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/mini-stories-volume-6/4/

I really wanted to visit Point Roberts, but given the border situation right now, I just didn't think it was worth trying to cross into the US and then trying to get back into Canadia.

So it's named after another old white guy?

Actually... I can see where that comes from. Makes me wonder if that what the artist's intention.
    gpfan, Nixels, cprbusa and 2 others like this.
  10. MrBob

MrBob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z, RustySpokes and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  11. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seton Lake campground located here.
    Campground website here.
    gpfan, BIG OIL and Jamie Z like this.
  12. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @bk brkr baker the October date makes sense. No reason not to be riding in southern BC in September and early October as long as you're watching for any unique weather events that might drop some snow on high passes.
  13. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy

Oddometer:
    +1, I’m not a plant guy but that place is beautiful!
    Cal and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talking with my hands and riding poorly! Not a great multi-tasker, I actually clipped the center of traffic circle with my rear tire later… (and then kept right on talking and pointing.)
  15. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
  16. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    on the Island?
    i would be tempted to take the ferry (#1) to Saltery Bay/Powell River - maybe camp at Diner Rock. http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?site=REC0287&type=Site
    worthwhile to head to Lund, as well. a former hippie enclave. https://mountainculturegroup.com/lund-british-columbia-hippie-utopia-history/
    there is some interesting fire roads outside of Lund, if you feel like exploring.

the view from ferry (#2) to the Sunshine Coast (Earls Cove) is sublime. if it's not raining.
    https://vancouverisland.com/plan-yo...-ferry-earls-cove-saltery-bay-sunshine-coast/

nice communities along the Sunshine coast. land of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beachcombers. ferry (#3) takes you back to Horseshoe Bay - the perfect spot from which to head north on the Sea to Sky Hwy.

the first 100 kms of the Sea to Sky Hwy is loaded with folks blocking the passing lane, for no apparent reason. be vigilant at all times, on that hwy.
    gpfan, Nixels and Jamie Z like this.
  17. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    The earlier suggestion to ride up to Port Hardy is what I always do when I’m on the island, Tofino is a cool place to wander into too.
    SkizzMan and Baroquenride like this.
  18. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z , if you're still on the Island, two great pavement rides are Parksville to Tofino and Campbell River to Gold River. Both are out and back rides.
    Baroquenride, 8lives and Jamie Z like this.
  19. Pawlie

Pawlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Jamie,
    It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday and hearing of your adventures.
    I hope you enjoy your Van. Isl. travels.
    Safe riding Amigo!
    Pawlie
    Jamie Z likes this.
  20. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was fantastic having you visit, Jamie! About time we met! For anyone else thinking of offering "tent space," Jamie is the perfect guest!

Holly
    Jamie Z, Animo, Eyes Shut and 8 others like this.