RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From your spotwalla, it appears you're now holed up in Kelowna. Waiting for the weather to improve perhaps? FYI, there's a Motogiro happening in Nakusp this weekend if you're interested in seeing old, small Italian bikes competing on a closed public road. Then again, the forecast is for cool and wet so maybe you're wise to stay indoors if you can.
    Sunday Rider likes this.
  2. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    September 12, 2021

Heading south.

Screenshot_20210915-111137_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

That space heater the hotel manager gave me did not do much to warm up the room. I still slept well.

When I packed up in the morning, nobody else was around. The hotel seemed to be completely empty except for me. The Shining, anyone?

On the way out of town I stopped for a few pictures.

20210912_130106~2.jpg

I turned off the main highway toward the town of Dunster.

20210912_130539~2.jpg

And a cool wooden decked bridge.

20210912_131039~2.jpg

Dunster started as a railroad stop. The tracks still run through town, but it wasn’t too long ago that the train was the only way in and out.

20210912_133122~2.jpg

I continued along the gravel Dunster road, hoping that it went back to the highway.

20210912_140311~2.jpg

And stopped for a break at a nearby cemetery, though with the lack of headstones, I wondered how many unmarked graves there are.

20210912_141418~2.jpg

On the back of the sign, somebody made a goof.

20210912_141445~2.jpg

20210912_142742~2.jpg

Lots of logging in this area. The road was a bit muddy and rutted in a few places from the trucks.

20210912_144239~2.jpg

Yesterday the guy at the Pub told me that there is world class fishing around here.

20210912_150441~2.jpg

20210912_155359~2.jpg

I found a free campground on iOverlander and turned off the main highway. The road to the campground went up and up, and cooler and cooler as my elevation increased. I got to the campground after sunset. It was cold and nobody else was there.

I thought about making a fire and searched around for wood, and then I hit the jackpot.

20210912_194611~2.jpg

The fire took an exceptionally long time to start putting out heat.

20210912_214250~2.jpg

I didn’t stay up nearly as late as last time I had a fire… but eventually I knew I’d have to crawl into my cold sleeping bag.
    glittleman, jon_l, ilten and 53 others like this.
  4. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

a little early throwback thrusday

[​IMG]
    TomTrek, DC950, y2blade and 3 others like this.
  5. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_0510.JPG

I always got a chuckle as I saw these signs for the bridges.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was warned about the Teslin bridge and it didn’t disappoint.. :eek7 Going sideways across the thing because the idiots installed the grating the wrong side up….:bluduh
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    September 13, 2021

Guess who!

Screenshot_20210915-175537_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

I slept a lot better than I was expecting last night. I bundled up before going to sleep.

When I woke up and got up I got a better look at my surroundings.

20210913_103224~2.jpg

Shortly down the highway, more construction. The flagger waved me to the front of the line.

20210913_123634~2.jpg

I stopped on a bridge.

20210913_134926~2.jpg

Heading for Kelowna today, I thought I’d take an alternate route from where Google was sending me. In any case, I ended up on a divided four-lane highway.

20210913_170242~2.jpg

And right around dinner time I landed at the house of some old friends.

20210913_190735~2.jpg

Some of you may recognize these folks.

Neda grilled steaks for dinner.

20210913_191105~2.jpg

And they set me up in a spacious guest room downstairs.

20210913_183122~2.jpg

Gene and I stayed up swapping stories. Most of Gene’s travel stories started with, “When my bike broke down in El Salvador…”
    TomTrek, jon_l, van the man and 65 others like this.
  8. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap I love it when multiple threads I follow intersect, especially when one hasn't been very active for awhile
    Sunday Rider and gpfan like this.
  9. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow that steak dinner looks exceptional, Jamie, see how those potatoes are, that was the look I was going for but didn't quite get it, I bet they tasted good.
    Nice job Neda.
  10. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soooo....what is Neda riding these days?
  11. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    The only reason I know about the world largest toaster collection in Stewart I following another guy whom traveling BC in he RV etc and posting interesting videos . Eg the 5 remains of the sternerwheelers up near dawson .
  12. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoyed the latest updates @Jamie Z, glad you were able to get out of the crap weather and end up staying with friends. I've ridden through part of the Canadian Rockies and stayed in Kelowna many many years ago, stunning scenery.

Was great to read your thoughts on a traveling partner, appreciate the transparency and insight. I have a feeling it'll be something I personally contemplate for the foreseeable future. My hope is if you're wanting to find someone to share your continued adventure with, you're able to. I can say that dating at 50 is a completely different experience than it was dating at 30 when I met my ex; at times a complete shitshow, though there have been glimmers of hope that keep me interested in continuing.

In any event amigo, sticky side down as you make your way wherever your Honda takes you :-). If you end up coming back down the west coast, mi casa es su casa.
    bjor1978, BIG OIL and Sunday Rider like this.
  13. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:

Most of what I refer to as 'peak moments' have been solo experiences.

YMMV
    y2blade and Golden955 like this.
  14. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Looking for opinions and ideas.

I had been planning to ride the Icefields Parkway which runs through Banff National Park between Banff and Jasper.

The weather forecast for the next week or so is not great, with highs around 50F (10C) and rain. So I can probably expect colder than that and with the elevation, I could conceivably see snow.

I'm not keen on riding in cold and rain. It's just not fun; can't stop to take pictures, and camping might not be a good option.

So... thoughts? I'm looking at coming back up to Canada, perhaps in the spring or next summer.

What are some good alternatives? Head back south into the US?
    y2blade, GringoRider and gpfan like this.
  15. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    While the Icefields Pkwy is stunning and Banff and Jasper are cool to visit, BTDT, I'd head south and maybe ride part(s) of the Continental Divide trail??
    You do want nice weather for the Icefields and rain, cold and sleet aren't it for sure.. JMHO, YMMV ..
  16. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three years ago I rode the Icefields Parkway in July part way before giving up due to cold. Here's a bit of that ride report:

1. "The wilderness north of Banff was my lose destination, past Lake Louise, along the Icefields parkway, maybe to Jasper. Icefields is well-named. Hot as it was getting in the lowland, in the mountains it was colder than a jilted debutant.

Twenty miles of freezing my parts on the Icefields Parkway was all I could handle. It was tough giving up the scenery, chasing a couple guys riding Ducatis con brio through the twisties (briefly) but the damp cold was getting serious. I'd left electric gloves and jacket-liner home, thinking it would be merely cool up here. I retreated to the town of Lake Louise for hot chocolate but didn’t stop - the town was writhing with competitive consumers and gridlocked traffic. Instead I slalomed down the mountain on the Trans-Canada Highway past amazing geologic displays writ-large and stopped in the tilted town of Field for soup & paninini. "

Jamie ~ depending upon where you wanna fetch up in the 'States... If east of Idaho, say, I'd suggest tooling on down to Osoyos and hang a left onto Canada Hwy. 3 to 25 or 30 miles east of Castlegar to the bitty town of Selmo and check into the Sal-Crest motorcycle-friendly motel on the right just as you enter town from the west, steakhouse/bar across the side street. It's got covered bike parking, concrete pad for bike washing in the lawn with hose bib & hose and the owners provide bucket, mild soap & fresh towels. Great couple.

I've been hankering to take two or three nights there and ride loops to the north past Nelson and others nearby you can learn of locally or on here. Salmo seems a dandy little town not yet yuppiezed three years ago. From there you can ride on 3 east into Alberta, etc., still fairly close to the border if you want or need to pop south.

If headed back to Seattle or other points west & south, the road down to Abbotsford and crossing onto Hwy. 9 to avoid slabs awhile in the US is a decent way to do it fairly directly, or to whip into Vancouver, but Hwy 97C west and a choice of longer winding routes are obvious alternatives to stretch out good Canadian times.

~ another fan of yours
    lvscrvs and BIG OIL like this.
  17. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Kelowna you are on the cusp of some of the best riding in BC! Head East young man! Nakusp, New Denver then Kaslo or for a little gravel spice Hwy 31 and still end in Kaslo. Nelson is also a cool stop. Along Kootenay Lake is good. Some of the Kootenay inmates will probably chime in with good intel. Pretty much no bad roads as you head East. If you are hitting Banff and Jasper, Kananaskis (Hwy 40) is really good.
    8lives, BIG OIL, knight and 5 others like this.
  18. MrBob

MrBob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding in cold and rain is for younger folk who have something to prove or are poor planners. You have nothing to prove. I rode around Lake Superior one early October and it rained every day. I was in leathers that never dried. I remember stopping at a coffee shop and drinking my coffee through a straw because I was shivering too much to hold a cup. Not fun, but the type of challenge a young person takes on.
    olderigetfasteriam likes this.
  19. wvpc1

wvpc1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto. Wait for the good weather for the Icefields Parkway. The vistas are well worth it. Go for the warm enjoyable riding destinations. You are rocking this thread, Jamie.
  20. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I had a great but freezing ride on the Icefields Pkwy - I guess that's why there's still lots of ice there. The weather reports here show a cold front moving from the north where you are into Montana with possible mountain snow on Sunday night/Monday morning but clearing after that. Maybe wait for the front to pass. If you want to race ahead of it, I have enjoyed several rides along Lake Koocanusa on the US side. I've never ridden the lake on the Canada side. Lots of great, free camping opportunities and a great motorcycle road along either side of the lake. Still, at some point, that front is going to catch you and if you want to hunker down in a hotel for a night or two, I'd pick an area as far from any national parks as you can find so the rates are better and there may be some availability.