RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Well heck!...I was just getting ready for Jamie to head to other parts of the planet that are warmer to continue the RTW. I'll miss these stories, Jamie.
    Mark Thom likes this.
  2. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    One of my moring ritualls is seeing where Jamie is at and reading the wonderful updates with the stellar pictures. Now will be missing Jamie's and Dan's (Ohio Danimal) updates as the days get shorter.
    Thanks for sharing your trip and taking all that time out to post it up. Good luck with the re-charge time and getting set up for the next leg of your adventure.
    Jamie Z and Mark Thom like this.
  3. ScottA

ScottA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jamie. As others have said, before work each morning I would check your report for updates, have a well deserved break and I can't wait for you to return!
    Jamie Z likes this.
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    holckster said:
    Glad the Mitas E-07 tires we mounted here are working for you.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Jamie's reply:
    I like the tires a lot, but curiously I find them quite squirrely off pavement. Their grip on both wet and dry on pavement is phenomenal, but off pavement, they feel quite slippery to me. I wouldn't expect that, as these are the most aggressive tires I've ever used.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    holcksters reply:
    If you'll recall I recommended the Mitas E-10 knobby front.

I also found the E-07 front felt not planted (squirrely) off-road.
    Switching to the E-10 front will plant the front and still be great on pavement.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  5. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jamie, for a wonderful and entertaining ride report!
    You know you've always got a place to stay if you visit Santa Barbara again.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  6. GulfCoast

GulfCoast formerly SWLAStrom

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride along Jamie Z. My mornings (or today, lunch) will not be the same without an update to your ride report. Alas, all good things must come to an end. I'm looking forward to the next installment!
    Mark Thom and Comrade Arturo like this.
  7. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Jamie. Enjoyed visiting new places through your travels. :thumb Be safe and Bill and I look forward to seeing you again sometime.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  8. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Say, I'm with "eyes shut" come spend the cold months where it's NOT cold! I've plenty room and a pipeline to Desert Nirvana
    The prettiest girls in the World are in Santa Barbara don't ya know. Santa Monica is "the Home of the Homeless" for a reason.
    Cold living is for folks that want to or have no choice. California the safest state for virus last I heard. I'd bet you could couch surf all Winter and keep riding. Prospects for viral control by next Spring are not looking to good.......
    Jamie Z likes this.
  9. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Boooo.

Enjoy the winter.
    van the man likes this.
  10. Trainee_adv

Trainee_adv Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was hopeful you were continuing east.

Enjoy your winter!
    Jamie Z likes this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    stop by when you’re back in Denver. Sorry I missed you when you stopped over before. I can get around better now and answer the door etc.
  12. Desert John

Desert John Desert John Supporter

Oddometer:
    What you've now done is give new meaning to the word, hibernation. Enjoy your winter while the rest of us anticipate your continued wonderful reports.
  13. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    No one should take this observation in the wrong light, but I'm curious on the hiatus. I have been thoroughly enjoying Jamie's trip and reports since the start. While I'm not planning any RTW trip by any means, I'd think I would route my trip in a way that would take advantage of the seasons as they shift across the equator. Seems like that would be the neat thing about a RTW trip whereas many riders are shut down for weeks/months due to seasonal weather in our home areas. I was curious if Jamie had some family or personal issue that came up that needs to be addressed or perhaps an income opportunity came up that will make the RTW trip more doable as spring comes around. Again, no condemnation of his decision here, as that is totally a personal issue.
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same.
    camgregus likes this.
  15. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie has his own reasons but other than Mexico ground travel in Central and South America is not easy at this time and not even possible in some countries. (Assuming that will be the direction he's going.)
    liv2day likes this.
  16. rbw

rbw n00b

Oddometer:
    Jaimie, thanks for the awesome ride report! Looking forward to the next chapter. I got a kick out of your convenience store photo in Del Bonito...front and center in the pic is our iconic Canadian junk food, Cheezies! If you didn't try a pack on this trip they are worth the price of admission when you make it back our way! Cheers!
  17. STSmitty

STSmitty n00b

Oddometer:
    Jamie;

I also want to thank you for your effort in documenting your journey in such a thoughtful and interesting manner. It's comforting to know there are people like yourself who are actually out there traveling about and living your dream. As many others have said, it's much too easy to sit on the couch and have life whiz by. I've also enjoyed reading about your experiences with the CB500X; I have a CB500F that I really like, and it has been a good and reliable "tool" for having fun. It was very interesting for me to hear about your time in B.C. and Kelowna - Looking forward to your continuing adventures! (And yes, Hawkins Cheezies are a staple, made in Canada, eh!)

Ken
  18. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie,

You couldn't have picked a worse time too start your adventure. I think you deserve the ADV perseverance award of the year. I can see it must be draining on you.
    I hope you can recharge, add some more funds, sort all your gear and come out strong in 2022. We all need a better 2022 and I can see it being excellent for you!!!
    Keep us posted about your down time and your efforts to prepare for the road in 2022!
  19. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride along Jamie. Stay warm, stay sane, be cool. Have a good winter and see you come spring.
  20. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking us along @Jamie Z you've done an amazing job with your pictures and stories.....That little Honda has been superb

Enjoy your rest, I look forward to seeing this thread pop back up.

Look after yourself Jamie
    From the UK