RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. MrBob

MrBob Long timer

Oddometer:

upload_2020-12-4_11-44-24.jpeg
    The Norton was the modern travel bike.
    This was the first long touring machine and I was on the road for a summer.
    Thanks for the numbers. I think budgeting is one of the biggest questions about a RTW trip.
    Jamie Z, dogibrown, pceire32 and 5 others like this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    you'll be surprised how much under that budget you will come, RTW travel is nowhere near as expensive as most think, I come in a lot less than you are estimating for solo travel and not living like a hobo, don't be surprised if you can stretch that 3 years to 5 or more with that bankroll. Once you get into the life on the road mindset there are no boundries
  3. MrBob

MrBob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been traveling in my van for 4-5 months of the year. Once you get dialed in to the road, it’s much less expensive than living in an apartment or house.
    pceire32, Tomaso, ywr969 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at that posh windscreen and those proper panniers.

I appreciate that. I hope you're right. I'm pretty good at traveling on the cheap, but I don't want to set my expectations too high. I'm taking the NASA approach. They send rovers to Mars with a 90-day mission length, but then the rovers continue to operate for more than a decade.
    gpfan, MotoSly, neanderthal and 13 others like this.
  5. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to following your progress. Please be sure to include moto details as you progress, too. It will be interesting to hear how the CB500X does along the way, whether it meets or exceeds expectations for a trip like this. With 60+mpg, we already know you’ve got plenty of range, and it will be easy on your fuel budget!
  6. MrBob

MrBob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bicycle touring panniers. Wasn't much else available in those days. I must have removed the sissy bar by that time. :lol3
    pceire32, ywr969 and Jamie Z like this.
  7. EZ-D

EZ-D Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jamie I appreciate you sharing your thought process and RTWPaul, your seconding of his thoughts means a lot.

I'm sure you'll go through your gear selection process as well. Or at least I hope. I'm probably two years away from lift-off on a S. American trip, so this is great information and great timing.
    Jamie Z and Cal like this.
  8. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jamie I am looking forward to your trip. I wish I was going with you. I hope to leave about this time next year. Please post all you can.
    pceire32, Cal and Mofrid like this.
  9. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still rate your North America 2007 trip report as a highlight of the forum.

I'll be watching.
    pceire32 and Jamie Z like this.
  10. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Since just after I bought my motorcycle in January of 2020, I’ve been steadily decreasing my footprint by selling, giving away, and donating everything I own. I have no emotional attachment to any of my possessions, though I did feel a twinge of guilt selling my almost-new bicycle, for which I had so many grand plans. I did sell it for more than I paid for it two years ago, so that made me feel better (thanks Covid!).

[​IMG]

I cleaned out a storage closet and one item was a large box full of 35mm prints, thousands of photographs. I have almost no photographs of my life or myself before about 1998, when I met a guy who would become a lifelong friend. Matt sparked an interest in photography and many of my memories of that time were saved in the pictures I took from 1998 until about 2004, from age 23 until 29.

[​IMG]

I have digital backups of a majority of the pictures in that box, but I wanted to sort through them to make sure I wasn’t throwing anything out which I wanted to keep. So for many hours I sat on my couch and flipped through those scenes of myself in my twenties. All the friends I had then, all the adventures we went on, a few women I dated, a lot of women I didn’t date, and people whose names I’ve since forgotten. Many old friends I haven’t talked to or heard from in a decade or two.

[​IMG]

Looking at young Jamie and all the opportunities in front of him was nostalgic overload and for a few days--even now as I write this, to be honest--my mind went back to that time and wondered about all the different paths my life might have taken.

And here I am in my mid-40s, leaving everything behind to live on the road, and wondering if I’m on the right path...
    gpfan, ACR, GringoRider and 40 others like this.
  11. Old Islander

Old Islander n00b

Oddometer:
    If you need housing or support in the Seattle area as a RTW just email me at ferryrider(@)hotmail.com. Remover the extra characters. We've been doing it for years. Long time BMW GS family.
    pceire32, Jamie Z and Fidget like this.
  12. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    There is no wrong path, only different paths. I sound like Yoda. Did Yoda say that?
  13. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Good post on your budget, with that level you will be easily able to stretch the budget to 5 years and longer it all depends on your level of comfort and making an income from your travels is a good mindset.
    These two articles was an eye opener for me and I have identified myself as between the Reasonables and Relaxed ones with a $25K budget per year and a 10 year travel plan somewhere in those 10 years I hope to be able to develop a skill good enough that someone would pay for it but I will be 55 when setting off
    https://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/cost-to-travel-the-world/
    https://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/round-the-world-with-no-budget/
  14. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    I caught up on your report this afternoon. Is December 15 still your departure date? Wishing you safe travels :thumb
    pceire32 likes this.
  15. keenerkeen07

keenerkeen07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    in and happy bout it
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I'll send you a PM....

Nice first post. :freaky Have you checked out the Tent Space?

Funny you should say that. I had never watched the Star Wars films, and a good friend of mine suggested that before I leave, we watch them all. So two weeks ago, we took a four day weekend and watched all nine episodes, plus Rogue One and Solo. So now, finally, understand Star Wars references I do.

I'm looking at leaving Monday the 14th if I can finish getting my apartment cleaned out. First destination is to hang out with my cousin in Phoenix for a day or two.
  17. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Due to you linking the 2007 trip just read the whole thread - dang good !!!!
    Jamie Z and Grinnin like this.
  18. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new cb500x is one of a few models that are being considered as an addition to my moto garage. I will look forward to reading of your thoughts on this bike during the next few months. Z everyone that is following along here wish’s you well on your expectation. As do I . Take Care Petepilot
  19. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    In. Good luck, sounds like a blast!
    Jamie Z likes this.
  20. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Jamie Z,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here I am in my mid-40s, leaving everything behind to live on the road, and wondering if I’m on the right path...[/QUOTE]

Don't second guess yourself buddy!
    You are on the right path!
    I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts and so will many other inmates here too.
    MotoSly, ChicoProf and Aces 6 like this.