RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I said I had some video of the Harley Davidson Pan America, so here it is:

I hate to call it a review, more of a first impression. The video was made completely spontaneously. I just got on the bike for a test ride and decided to turn on my helmet camera.
  2. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    That made me tired :lol3
    garfey and Nixels like this.
  3. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll comment on the triple point, a few years back I tried to come in from the South in Colorado, although with the van, and was blocked with gates with heavy ranching and logging. Crossed over into Utah and came in from the West on fun roads like @DaleE

I’ve been to all four corners of Colorado and this is the best of them, wish I was on a bike but happened to be in the area with the big red van last time and went for it, was impressed with the old girl, felt like a true chicken bus making the rounds in Latin America lol. Even busted through some old snow pack.
    56218D98-C060-4FE1-A9BB-1D9A793F8316.jpeg FB197C58-0777-49DA-9228-94A89AFB492C.jpeg BEB48E3D-35F7-4934-A0F3-A37BE25568F3.jpeg

Cool you got to check out Irish Canyon too I really enjoyed looking around that area.
  4. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    Your impressions are similar to mine, particularly the low speed (on or off road) handling; there was something about the steering geometry that prevented countersteering at low speeds and required handle-bar-turning. Unlike you, I'm used to heavy adv bikes ... multistrada, fjr, r1200gsa, africa twin ... cone weaves on all of those are easy, but for some reason on the PA it wasn't.

Also, not enough space between the seat and pegs, but it was nice to have a low seat (I have a 32-inch inseam). I was surprised at the long reach to the bars. The engine is a peach! Pulled strong at any RPM; not as much low end torque as my Multistrada, not as smooth or as much top-end power as the FJR, but a really good motor. That's the motor Honda should have put in the Africa Twin!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  5. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    July 28, 2021

Some much-needed time off.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

While in Denver I needed to take care of a few things, mainly retrieve the spare chain and sprockets I have. I also had some mail which needed to be tended to, including addressing and stamping this pile of envelopes.

20210729_110648~2.jpg

A few of you here will be getting an envelope in a few days.

But mostly I did nothing. Sunday I spent much of the day watching YouTube and surfing around online.

On Tuesday I met up with Docwyte for a beer and a look at his new KTM.

20210727_221207~2.jpg

I put my riding suit in the laundry, reorganized some gear, checked into my plans to go to Canada and contacted a few people on ADVrider. Some video editing and ride-reporting.

I had a major uh-oh moment when I updated my navigation phone--a Kyocera Duraforce Pro 2--and then it no longer recognized the installed SD card. I ended up having to reload everything from scratch. That was a major pain in the ass and took many hours of downloading maps and my very large music collection again.

I spent four days off the bike in a much-needed reset and preparation for the next leg.
  6. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    Mofrid likes this.
  7. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a ride to the Seaplane museum in Sault St. Marie in the fall. I understand that we'll be allowed into Canada after August 9th, but I don't understand what type of restrictions might be encountered re-entering the U.S..
  8. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way to blow that Corvette away Jamie. A friend of mine is an engineer for HD in Milwaukee. One of his perks is access to any Harley model. He’s got a Pan American now and he’s having a lot of fun with it.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Nice PA H D review, l want one!

"Dead Swede Campground and the nearby Dead Swede Picnic Ground, are named for the gentleman whose grave is located there."
  10. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you watch Baldy's review of the Pan America?
  11. EZ-D

EZ-D Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Seaplane Museum is definitely worth a visit. But, I'd stay on the U.S. side to view the Soo Locks. I stayed at the Hotel Ojibway which was within walking distance to restaurants, bars, and the Soo Locks.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next time you’re back in Denver give me a shout Jamie. I need someone to take my bike out and bed in the new front pads/rotor

Have fun out there
    Jamie Z and Sunday Rider like this.
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/

In response to Mr Bob’s question , check the above us gov source for the more recent twist in the rules ( 28 July 2021)

While you are at it also check the other side ,
    gov. ca website for the requirements to enter. There is a lot of internet stuff to do BEFORE you show up at the Canadian border. Not yet as before , you cannot just drive up to the check point and buzz through after a few words .

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

And all these regulations can be changed at any time.
    Chip Seal and EZ-D like this.
  14. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    To fricken hard!
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree!!!
  16. Contrarian

Contrarian Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    20210801_160607.jpg

He's been busy riding. :D
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I visited Crater Lake in 2015; still one of my favorite National Parks. I don't know if I'll go back again or not...

I learned that the hard way. :D

I wish I had the time to loop around and come in from Utah, but daylight was running out. Irish Canyon was a nice surprise.

I doubt there are any restrictions come back into the US. I didn't have any problem coming back from Mexico. The border guys just asked me a few questions and I was on my way.

Yeah, I watched it when it came out.
    gpfan, CapitalG5, DaleE and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    July 29, 2021

Back to Fin's place.

Screenshot_20210802-091427_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

I did not get an early start. So much futzing around in the morning, I didn’t get on the road until after noon. I messaged Fin that I was on my way and I rode straight through to his place in Silverthorne.

We immediately brought my bike inside the shop.

20210729_155449~2.jpg

First task was to install the new chain and sprockets. 34,879

20210729_163432~2.jpg

20210729_155436~2.jpg

The next task was to fabricate some sort of exhaust deflector so that it doesn’t melt my side cases again. We considered a couple different designs, and what proved to be the most effective, and simplest to make was a flat aluminum plate attached to the silencer.

Fin mocked up a prototype with cardboard so we could test the effectiveness.

20210729_170915~2.jpg

Then he went to work on the aluminum.

20210729_171346~2.jpg

20210729_174601~2.jpg

20210729_175141~2.jpg

Afterward we went for a loop ride in the area.

19264500~2.JPG

20210729_193111~2.jpg

And stopped for Mexican dinner.

20210729_203038~2.jpg

Fin had to be up in the morning, so he went to bed when we got back home. I stayed up for a little bit before I got too tired.
    gpfan, DucaIan, jon_l and 37 others like this.
  19. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simple but effective exhaust gas modification!
    y2blade likes this.
  20. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I reviewed current Canadian border regulations and it looks like tourists are not being admitted, vaccinated or not.
    Chip Seal and EZ-D like this.