RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @bk brkr baker the October date makes sense. No reason not to be riding in southern BC in September and early October as long as you're watching for any unique weather events that might drop some snow on high passes.
  2. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1, I’m not a plant guy but that place is beautiful!
    Cal and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talking with my hands and riding poorly! Not a great multi-tasker, I actually clipped the center of traffic circle with my rear tire later… (and then kept right on talking and pointing.)
  4. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
  5. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    on the Island?
    i would be tempted to take the ferry (#1) to Saltery Bay/Powell River - maybe camp at Diner Rock. http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?site=REC0287&type=Site
    worthwhile to head to Lund, as well. a former hippie enclave. https://mountainculturegroup.com/lund-british-columbia-hippie-utopia-history/
    there is some interesting fire roads outside of Lund, if you feel like exploring.

the view from ferry (#2) to the Sunshine Coast (Earls Cove) is sublime. if it's not raining.
    https://vancouverisland.com/plan-yo...-ferry-earls-cove-saltery-bay-sunshine-coast/

nice communities along the Sunshine coast. land of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beachcombers. ferry (#3) takes you back to Horseshoe Bay - the perfect spot from which to head north on the Sea to Sky Hwy.

the first 100 kms of the Sea to Sky Hwy is loaded with folks blocking the passing lane, for no apparent reason. be vigilant at all times, on that hwy.
    gpfan, Nixels and Jamie Z like this.
  6. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    The earlier suggestion to ride up to Port Hardy is what I always do when I’m on the island, Tofino is a cool place to wander into too.
    SkizzMan and Baroquenride like this.
  7. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z , if you're still on the Island, two great pavement rides are Parksville to Tofino and Campbell River to Gold River. Both are out and back rides.
    Baroquenride, 8lives and Jamie Z like this.
  8. Pawlie

Pawlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Jamie,
    It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday and hearing of your adventures.
    I hope you enjoy your Van. Isl. travels.
    Safe riding Amigo!
    Pawlie
    Jamie Z likes this.
  9. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was fantastic having you visit, Jamie! About time we met! For anyone else thinking of offering "tent space," Jamie is the perfect guest!

Holly
    Jamie Z, Animo, Eyes Shut and 8 others like this.
  10. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the Kiwi Canuck

jonz and Kiwi Canuck like this.
  11. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun.
  12. Slasage

Slasage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No idea what this is about but LOVED it!!!
  13. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catching up on your latest travels @Jamie Z and had to quote this. Have mentioned countless times how much I appreciate your approach to crafting this story and keeping us up to date. I quoted this because I love this aspect of your report - small nuggets of history or lore that don't often get attention in the grand scheme of life. What a fantastic story that I never, ever would have come to know without your time and effort. Sincere thanks for that man!

So cool to have met up with such a great host of an inmate, great to see you kicking back with him and his family as you explore your first parts of Canada.

Sticky side down amigo, look forward to catching up on the next couple pages.
  14. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Jamie, been following you on your spot tracker today, wow big day today, Squamish to past Williams lake, that's a good ride.

Maybe you were trying to outrun the weather, or just putting in some miles, anyway hope you had a great day on those awesome roads.

David.
    Jamie Z, simmons1, AVPU and 3 others like this.
  15. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Hey Jamie, I was goofing off in northern Michigan a few days ago and somehow ended up coming home with a 2019 CB 500X. I remembered that you had a CB and I reviewed your preparation posts. They are greatly appreciated. I'm not planning any more epic rides, but I see an SW Motech center stand in my future and I know I'll benefit from your research.
    Jamie Z and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  16. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    August 27, 2021

Vancouver Island loop.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

Today I planned to make a loop of the southern part of Vancouver Island, it’s a route suggested to me by Paul, and Holly had a GPX file of a route she got from a magazine not too long ago.

Instead of the main highway out of town, Holly recommended one of the side roads. It was definitely more scenic, but I had to laugh when I kept seeing these unofficial bus stop seats. How Canadian.

20210827_120032~2.jpg

The road goes very near the Butchart Gardens, a well known botanical garden. I didn’t plan to stop today, but I wanted to check it out for future reference.

20210827_121729~2.jpg

I think the parking lot attendant was very irritated with me. He waved his arms motioning me to move. In any case, it’s a busy place and the entry fee is quite high, so I decided I probably wouldn’t be back.

When I got out of the traffic of the city there was more interesting things to see.

20210827_123657~2.jpg

And a small town with John Muir Elementary School.

20210827_134445~2.jpg

I’ve seen several John Muir-named places here; he must have visited this area and had an impact.

The southern portion of the loop follows the coastline. It’s hilly and the Pacific Ocean is frequently in view.

20210827_135935~2.jpg

And there’s lots of traffic and construction. I got stopped here for about half an hour waiting for the gate to raise with a line of cars behind me. Truth is, I probably could have squeezed around the gate on my bike.

20210827_142036~2.jpg

I stopped at a pulloff along the shore for a break and pulled out a bag of peanuts I’ve carried with me since Chiapas.

20210827_145847~2.jpg

I bought these when I tried to ride through the road which had been blocked by downed trees. No idea why I still have them.

The island is heavily wooded. Inpenetrable like the Yucatan, but in a completely different way.

20210827_163807~2.jpg

I kept seeing enormous stumps spread out within the forest.

20210827_152708~2.jpg

The old growth forest here must have been incredible before they were cut down. The logging industry is still big here. I see trucks and mills along the coast, as well as signs and bumper stickers in protest pleading to save the remaining old trees.

20210827_165110~2.jpg

20210827_153403~2.jpg

The road crosses numerous small rivers flowing into the ocean.

20210827_155021~2.jpg

I stopped briefly in the town of Port Renfrew.

20210827_162222~2.jpg

I purchased gas at a First Nations-owned store where the attendant told me he’d never seen a motorcycle hold so much fuel.

From here the road turned inland. There was less development here, but still quite a bit of traffic on this Friday afternoon.

20210827_165110~3.jpg

I followed a two-track back into the woods a ways, just to see where it went. The forest is magnificent and there were some good spots for camping.

20210827_165318~2.jpg

Finishing up the loop took me on a few curvy roads leading north.

20210827_174107~2.jpg

Before putting me back out onto the main highway. When I got back to Holly’s place, she had pork tenderloin ready for dinner.

20210827_201153~2.jpg

Oh my gosh it was good.

Holly told me about some of her travels to Europe and even Iceland. She showed me pictures of the international motorcycle events she has attended in Belgium, and some of her daredevil activities like hanging off the edge of the CN Tower!

I’d had a long day and went to bed early.
  17. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    August 28, 2021

Checking out Vancouver Island.

Screenshot_20210901-103420_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

Breakfast today started with maple sugar-covered blueberries. Fantastic.

20210828_092326~2.jpg

Look at that. Seriously. Look. At. That. :tb

I packed up my things and finalized my plans for the day. I wanted to explore more of the island. Holly showed me her Can-am Spyder before I rode off.

20210828_113944~2.jpg

What a terrific time with Holly. She is bursting with energy.

My first stop was just a few kilometers away at Canadian Tire. I bought bear spray on the advice of Holly, and my favorite adventure motorcycle hack:

20210828_120540~2.jpg

Canadian Tire sells much better sewer end caps than I can get in the US. It has a plastic seal and a wide lip.

When I purchased the bear spray, an expensive CAD$50 bottle, I had to fill out a form with my name, address, and the serial number from the can. Any insight why they collect this information?

I followed the highway toward the north end of the island. There are numerous scenic overlooks.

20210828_131413~2.jpg

20210828_132747~2.jpg

And also a lot of traffic.

16105600~2.JPG

I kept my eyes open but never saw another US-plated vehicle. In fact I’ve only seen two or three US plates since I arrived in Canada five days ago.

I did my best to ride along the coast rather than on the main Inland Island Highway. The coastal road is lined with hotels, resorts, restaurants, and bars.

I stopped in Parksville to pick up some groceries.

WTF Canadians? Please explain.

20210828_154727~2.jpg

The road here is again, heavily forested.

Along one stretch when I looked up at the scenery, the car in front slowed to make a left turn and I looked back up at the road just in time to swerve to the right around it. I cursed at myself for the lapse.

20210828_170021~2.jpg

In only a few spots is the sea visible, though here on the eastern side of the island, the water is in inlet looking across to the Canadian mainland.

20210828_172746~2.jpg

I turned inland at Campbell River with an eye out for a good place to camp tonight.

20210828_192522~2.jpg

iOverlander had several spots marked, but everything I saw was already occupied. It’s Saturday and there are a lot of people out. I spied a track leading down to the water and pulled in. There were several other vehicles there, but I found a spot over in the corner, just below the highway above. I can’t complain.

20210828_200404~2.jpg

Just after I set up my tent, a couple other vehicles pulled through. I’m sure they were looking for somewhere to camp, too.

20210828_203035~2.jpg

After they left, another vehicle pulled into the loop and backed into a spot directly across from me.

Not long after the sun went down I got into my tent. I watched a movie about the Chernobyl acccident and then fell asleep.
  18. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    "When I purchased the bear spray, an expensive CAD$50 bottle, I had to fill out a form with my name, address, and the serial number from the can. Any insight why they collect this information?"

I can only assume that since bear spray has been used on multiple occasions for holdups and robberies, the authorities can track down suspicious suspects. I don't think you fit the profile.

FYI, if you're forced to use it, hopefully the wind is at your back.... it can backfire and go badly very quickly.
    And,,,,,, I don't think it's legal to transport it back to the USA when it comes time to leave our beloved country.

Can't help you on the ketchup flavored, double crunch Ruffles.... sacrilege IMHO though..

Thanks again for keeping up the RR.. it's great to see our province through someone else's eyes.
  19. MrBob

Oddometer:
    When I was camping on the north side of Vancouver island, a long time ago, a ranger found me a place indoors because of Cougar activity.
    Tofino, on the western side of the island, is a center for outdoor recreational activities.
    Jamie Z and simmons1 like this.
  20. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I traveled with a Canadian women for several months and she told me Canadians call ketchup "American Gravy". She wouldn't touch it.

I agree with Hill Climber in regards to the bear spray.
    simmons1 likes this.