RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. kmag

kmag Average Sedentary Man

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z Spotwalla shows you in Dease Lake and it looks like a stretch of wet weather. Just wondering what the plan is?
    I lived in BC for 15 years. Made it is as far north as Haines Junction (driving, wasn't on a bike during those years) so I know the geography. I'm also riding a 2019 500x these days so your journey feels very familiar. I'm envious! Continued safe travels.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  2. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC, it was a closed lumber mill, and I slept on a floor. No farmer's daughters in sight.
  3. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
  4. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    Product Details
    • For use with one vehicle
    • Expires the day after the date printed on the pass
    Delivery Method
    Your one-day Discover Pass will be sent to you via email and will be printable at the end of the checkout process. You can download and print your pass for immediate use. If you are unable to print, write the transaction number and date on a piece of paper in large bold print and display it on your car's dashboard.”

It’s called, “planning ahead”.
    gpfan likes this.
  5. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jamie changed the title from "North to Alaska" back to "British Columbia" a while ago. It looks like he was unable to get into Alaska and headed north in BC instead, even getting a bit of the Yukon in. He's heading back south now. There are probably going to be some fantastic pictures and descriptions when he gets an internet connection again. I'm looking forward to them.
    Jamie Z, BIG OIL, MacG and 9 others like this.
  6. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Holly.
  7. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try to get out a couple of updates tonight and tomorrow morning... I got a room in Fort Nelson, BC. Let's home the wifi here is fast enough.

In the meantime, a question about routes.

Screenshot_20210907-202006_Firefox~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210907-202058_Firefox~2.jpg

Which one?
    gpfan, y2blade and scudo like this.
  8. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Through Prince George.
  9. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO, If the weather forecast is good go through Grand Cache. The road and scenery from Grand Cache to Jasper is great.
    gpfan and Jamie Z like this.
  10. shiryas

shiryas Dragon with matches

Oddometer:
    I turned off the Cassier at Cranberry junction and went west on the Nisga Hwy to the Nisga Lava Fields, then south down to Prince George. I was impressed, this was not what i was expecting from other igneous fields i have seen. Its gravel from Cranberry to New Aiyansh, then paved, scenic, twisty down to Terrace. From here on southward the logging trucks and traffic just kept increasing for me.

Agreed on scenery for this section, it was very pretty and I enjoyed the elevation changes. For me it was very cold though. I had 3cm of snow on the Icefields Parkway the day before.

We will stay tuned for what ever you come up with .. . Its all good.

Cheers, Chris
    Kinsman likes this.
  11. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    August 29, 2021

Back to the mainland.

Screenshot_20210907-225324_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

I woke up early today. An SUV had pulled in across from me last night and this morning I could hear a young woman outside playing with her dogs. I got up out of my tent, waved and said good morning.

This was the view outside.

20210829_071519~2.jpg

For breakfast I ate the cake Holly had given me to take along, and it was wonderful.

I planned to ride out to Gold River today. After that, I didn’t know. The road is beautiful.

20210829_090538~2.jpg

I stopped at a roadside park to use the bathroom and take advantage of the picnic tables. Did I mention I have a great love of picnic tables.

20210829_092556~2.jpg

Getting caught up on my ride report took about 45 minutes, and then I got back on the road.

20210829_103154~2.jpg

20210829_104552~2.jpg

I passed a trail going back to a waterfall so I stopped to get off the bike for a bit.

The trail back to Lady Falls is short and easy.

20210829_105733~2.jpg

The waterfalls are small compared to some I’ve been to.

20210829_110245~2.jpg

I stopped briefly in Gold River to fill up on gas and then continued to the end of the road along the coast. There are a handful of tourism businesses here, a few large boats, and some smaller fishing vessels. Reminded me of @nofate

20210829_125619~3.jpg
    20210829_125944~2.jpg

I considered riding further. There is a gravel road that loops around, but after further thought I decided to turn back and start my way back to the mainland.

20210829_145340~2.jpg

The out-and-back road is a great ride, though a little more fun on the way out. They’re laying fresh tar snakes.

20210829_150231~2.jpg

For late lunch I stopped at a rest area.

20210829_151838~2.jpg

I figured out I could make it to the last ferry of the evening off the island, leaving from Comox. It meant that I’d land after dark, but I checked iOverlander and saw a couple of potential spots to stay. I figured I could find something.

20210829_190455~2.jpg

As usual, they loaded motorcycles first. I parked next to a father and son who I overheard were on their first motorcycle trip together.

20210829_191334~2.jpg

Dinner aboard.

20210829_193035~2.jpg

Sunset off the back.

20210829_195001~2.jpg

The captain announced that a whale was visible on the port side, and everyone rushed to see. I slapped myself for not bringing my telephoto lens with me, so I had to digitally crop this one in order to see anything.

20210829_201637_exported_6566~3.jpg

Leaving the boat I felt a strange sense of disorientation. It almost felt like I was back in Mexico coming into a new city. Everyone is in a rush to get off the ferry, racing 160.9 km/h. I wasn’t exactly sure where I was going, and I had a flashback to being in a non-English speaking country. It’s a curious familiarity and foreign-ness, like when you’re a little kid and your parents get divorced and your dad moves in with his new girlfriend and you go to stay for the weekend.

I’d scouted iOverlander and had what I thought should be a pretty good place to stay. It’s fairly remote, about a 30 minute ride from the ferry terminal down a narrow road.

20210829_212311~2.jpg

There’s a small campground, but it was full, and in the darkness, I had a hard time navigating the steep loop. I turned around, concerned. It’s dark, and I have no place to stay.

No worries, though. I’m a pro at this stuff. I rode back toward the town and watched the road for any small tracks leading into the forest, and then bingo. A little two-track, and about 50 meters back, a wide spot with plenty of room for a tent.

20210830_004703~2.jpg

At first I felt a little spooked. It was very dark out here and there’s some trash spread out, but once I got my place set up, turned on some lights, and even a little music, it was home.
  12. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Thanks Holly. It was a wonderful experience staying with you.

For those of you who aren't Holly, John Muir is the father of the United States National Parks, and thus National Parks throughout the world.

I'd love to. I went through there more than a week ago. :doh

Apparently you've never met me. :lol3
    gpfan, GringoRider, ZGirl and 6 others like this.
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    August 30, 2021

BC Ferries!

Screenshot_20210908-004014_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

When I woke, I got a better look at my surroundings.

20210830_105826~2.jpg

I also had a better look at the tear in my riding pants. They ripped last night when I started to set up my tent.

20210830_112318~2.jpg

It looks like my fly is open, but that’s the torn seam, and every time I move, it gets worse.

I followed the track I had camped on back toward the coast.

20210830_113352~2.jpg

Eventually it ended in the middle of the forest.

I followed the main road up to Lund, not quite sure what to expect. It’s a sleepy town at the end of the road on the coast. Literally the end of the road. This monument claims to be the northern terminus of the longest road in the world, all the way to Chile.

20210830_115728~2.jpg

20210830_115748~2.jpg

There were a lot of tourists here, as well as a handful of shops, restaurants, and a hotel.

20210830_121149~2.jpg

Being the end of the road, I had to turn back. I went through the town of Sliammon, a First Nations community. I liked that they had bilingual signs.

20210830_124922~2.jpg

Powell River is home to the “famous” hulks. I’ve never heard of them. There are nine (or ten?) ships anchored in front of the port as a breakwater.

20210830_131118~2.jpg

Unfortunately the land is private, and this is the best view from the road.

Though I was on the mainland, I had another ferry to take, and followed the road east until I hit water.

20210830_134611~2.jpg

I was the very last person to board the ferry. In fact the lady at the ticket booth initially told me they wouldn’t be able to get me on, but then after a bit of discussion, they decided there was room.

20210830_143320~2.jpg

20210830_143754~2.jpg

If you look closely, you can see my bike wedged between a couple cars at the back.

The ferries here are like taking a scenic cruise.

20210830_145634~2.jpg

We made it to shore and everyone raced off. A mile away I passed a small bike pulled over on the side of the road. I stopped to see if she needed some help. It was Anabel from Germany who had stopped to put on her rain gear and somehow her key got bent and now it wouldn’t go back into the ignition.

20210830_153037(0)~2.jpg

I told her I was pretty good at getting things like this to fit, and I used a pliers to straighten the key. Kiwi Canuck, I could have used your help here.

The rain didn’t last long, and I never did bother to put on my rain gear.

I wanted to make quick time here to make it to my next ferry crossing, but I did stop for one photo.

20210830_162124~2.jpg

I got to the ferry terminal early this time. I didn’t want to miss boarding. The booth attendant waved me through without paying. I don’t know if this happens to be a free ferry or not…

I parked behind a Hells Angels member and his girlfriend.

20210830_174419~2.jpg

On board, dinner. It wasn’t great.

20210830_180451~2.jpg

I also figured out that my credit card does not have a tap-to-pay feature. I had been confused until now because every time I paid with my credit card, the clerk would hold out the card reader in the air, and I’d have to hold the reader steady to insert the card. I realized that most Canadians use tap-to-pay… My fancy-pants travel card doesn’t have this feature.

Once again, a scenic, though cold and windy, ride.

20210830_190308~2.jpg

I had about an hour or daylight when we hit shore, and I rode straight to one potential campsite. It wasn’t great. The ground was rocky and uneven, and there was trash all over, but I found a flat spot and set up my tent.

20210830_195847~2.jpg

There was sort of a view of the sea down a short path from my campsite.

20210831_091339~2.jpg
    Meatn'taters, jon_l, gpfan and 60 others like this.
  14. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just caught up again @Jamie Z - so thoroughly enjoyable to read through your updates man. Glad the time on Vancouver Island was so nice; you definitely lucked out on the weather front (haven't been there in ~18 years, need to get back and enjoy some Canadian hospitality).

Good on ya for helping out that German biker, and damn cool about hitting the literal end of Hwy 101.

Sticky side down as you make your way inland and around Canada. Did a long street ride many, many years ago that looped through Banff, never made it as far north as Jasper national park. Look forward to seeing those pics and reading your story about traveling there.

Safe travels amigo.
    dano619 likes this.
  15. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude, you must have sacrificed a virgin to see those sunny skies on the island. I worked on an archaeology dig near Port Hardy for 6 weeks and it rained or drizzled every damn day.
  16. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't carry a sewing kit ? It won't take up any room and sewing a quick repair will save you from looking for a 'Professional" to mend little things like the zipper.
  17. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    If/when the world goes back to normal someday, I'd encourage you to travel the Icefields Parkway! Incredibly beautiful scenery- we just don't have anything like it down here. In fact, I'd be happy to go there with you if you want a riding buddy. I had planned on doing another trip up there and then over to Hyder last year, but....well you know the rest of the story.
  18. samhain

samhain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z

Wow! What a report! I have been reading off and on for months and it has been amazing. I finally caught up! Thank you. I thought the report would get kinda lame once you made it back into the states. Boy, was I wrong!! I liked it better than Mexico and Cuba! My favorite part so far was when you were at the ADV Weekend and went for that group ride and those old dudes argued for 40 minutes on which way to go! Hi-Larous, as Mr. Burns would say. It's amazing how little you have spent on food and lodging when you were in the US. You camped out so much more than when you were in Mexico. I loved hearing about your cycling adventures and traveling the Mississippi River! You should write a book! I don't know if anyone would read it, but I would. And I hate books!

Can't wait to see where you go next! Thanks so much for letting us ride along.
  19. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    A sewing kit is easy to put together…sewing needle assortment and some upholstery thread. Wrap the thread around some cardboard or plastic, both flat and take up zero space.
  20. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Icefield Parkway was definitely cool my wife spent the entire road taking pictures