RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course I have a sewing kit. :fpalm

20210908_103102~2.jpg

My zipper isn't ripped. It's one of the seams, and it's multi-layered with a separate liner. Yeah, if it were an emergency, I could hack it together, but I don't have the skills to properly fix it, when I could wait just a bit and have someone fix it right.

The sewing kit is for things like my tent, or shirt, or pants.
    gpfan, y2blade, advrockrider and 20 others like this.
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    re: Tap to pay. That's old news. Many in Canada now wave their arm and pay with their smart watch. No card in sight. :D
    imnothng likes this.
  3. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just pay with my vaccine chip now a days, it has everything loaded on it.
    DC950, Bapeter11, Kinsman and 9 others like this.
  4. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    And we know where you are right now. :lol3
    Golden955 likes this.
  5. olderigetfasteriam

olderigetfasteriam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wanting to "sewing kit" shame you, alas. :D
    Jamie Z and Golden955 like this.
  6. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    If you come into Mt Robson Park from the west there is a great photo op with the mountain (faintly visible in the background)

[​IMG]
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    August 31, 2021

Long, cold, wet, scenic day.

Screenshot_20210908-204435_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

It had rained last night off and on, but this morning was dry with mostly overcast skies. I wanted to make some big miles today, as I was hoping to catch the fleeting weather farther north. I had a couple-day window without rain coming up, but today wasn’t that day.

I rode north on the Sea-to-Sky highway, a stretch I’d marked on my map a long time ago, and have heard numerous recommendations since then.

20210831_091317~2.jpg

I stopped at several scenic overlooks.

20210831_103631~2.jpg

Not only to photograph the scenery, but to add a couple extra layers.

I went through some First Nations land, and they had signs out asking people to stay out.

20210831_122349~2.jpg

And another bilingual stop sign.

20210831_122414~2.jpg

Rain came and went intermittently. It never rained hard, but instead a constant drizzle. The road goes up and over a couple mountains.

20210831_130023~2.jpg

The temperature dropped when I went up in elevation. I saw as low as 5C (41F), though most of the day stayed around 10C (50F).

The road was great.

20210831_130325~2.jpg

I had to time my photos for when there wasn’t any traffic. There were quite a few cars and trucks, and even a lot of motorcycles, despite the weather.

There were a few sections of construction, though I think I got lucky and didn’t have to wait very long at all.

20210831_134026~2.jpg

I stopped at a rest area to use the washroom and spoke to a local guy who said he had a V-Strom at home. I see a lot of them in Canada.

20210831_145646~2.jpg

He said that this traffic is a lot better than it usually is. We both commented on the lack of US tourists here. He told me that usually the road is filled with RVs from the US.

A while later I made a stop at a gas station in a small town to figure out what my plan for that evening would be. I had been cold almost all day. Holly had told me about Deby and Donn who also have a ride report here about their trip to Alaska. Apparently they had some trouble finding hotel rooms, not because the hotels were closed, as I thought might be the case, but because all the rooms were booked! I checked booking.com for rooms in Prince George, a couple hours up the highway and was happy to find plenty of rooms, and rates lower than I was expecting. I found one with good reviews for CAD$92.

While at the gas station another rider came up to me: “Let me guess. You’re going to Alaska?” I thought maybe he saw my Colorado plates, but it was the loaded adventure bike that gave him the idea.

Another fellow came up and asked me about my bike. He wanted to sit on it. he said he was almost 70 and wanted a new bike, but something smaller than what he had now.

And then a guy who appeared to be intoxicated tried to make conversation, complaining about masks and vaccination requirements. He told me that he would never get the vaccination because “they’re injecting poison into your body!”

With a room booked in Prince George, I now had a goal for the evening, and it was still a couple hours away.

20210831_185606~2.jpg

20210831_194915~2.jpg

I got to Prince George after dark, picked up some fast-food dinner and a couple of beers, then went to my hotel room and cranked the heater up and stripped down to my underwear.

[photo removed by moderator]
    jon_l, gpfan, Centerlane and 46 others like this.
  8. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, photo removed by mod.. what are we missing?
    Females can post a pic of themselves in a string bikini, so was your pic more revealing? :lol3

I think it's fantastic to see the country I live in through another, well seasoned traveler. Your perspective gives me new perspective... Thanks!!
    steved57, liv2day, cprbusa and 4 others like this.
  9. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Well if anyone wants to see something you will “never unsee”
    I grabbed a screen shot before that mod “Don’t F with me” pulled it.
    :rofl

But I can’t send it cause it put a tracker in my puter like those vax shots are doing. So I wrapped it in foil and mailed the whole thing to Jamie at his Newfoundland address.:imaposer
    jon_l, liv2day, GringoRider and 8 others like this.
  10. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    September 1, 2021

Highway of Tears.

Screenshot_20210909-121901_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

I did not sleep well last night. The room was great. Excellent WiFi. Clean bathroom. Quiet. But the bed was very hard and the hotel provided only a thin blanket.

So I slept in, struggling to motivate myself to get up. After I woke I spent a couple hours catching up on my ride report, backing up photos, and updating apps and maps.

Getting out of town took a while because of traffic and stop lights. I passed a Walmart and a Honda dealership. This is a big city. The thought crossed my mind to buy oil before it’s too late. An oil change is due soon, and from here I’ll be riding into remote territory. But as usual, I left that until another day.

Eventually I left the city and looked forward to the open roads.

20210901_115721~2.jpg

I stopped early for a snack. The road has frequent rest areas, some with bathrooms and picnic tables, others just a wide spot in the road with a trash can.

20210901_123240~2.jpg

But I soon realized this was not a desolate road. It sure felt like I was in the middle of nowhere, but the wide road was filled with trucks, cars, RVs, but curiously no motorcycles.

20210901_140517~2.jpg

I mention the traffic not because it was a bother. Yeah, there were a lot of trucks, but it’s not a problem. I talk about the traffic because when I looked at a map of Canada in the past and saw this road, I pictured it as desolate and remote, but that’s not the reality at all.

I came into yet another big town with multiple gas stations, auto parts stores, and strip malls. I stopped for a little “sleep aid.”

20210901_141311~2.jpg

It was a much different experience than Colorado where your identification is scanned before entry and your purchase is bagged up and stapled with the receipt. Here it was like buying a soda at a convenience store.

I stopped for a few scenic shots.

20210901_145315~2.jpg

20210901_142142~2.jpg

And then yet another large town with shops and restaurants. I pulled into a Subway knowing I’d need something later for dinner. Canadian Subway still serves roast beef!

On my way out I noticed a display at the government building across the street. Canadians reading this will know right away what I’m talking about. I’ve seen these displays a few times already, notably on Vancouver Island.

20210901_152223~2.jpg

It’s a topic I haven’t brought up, but I think is relevant to my experience. In recent months, unmarked graves of hundreds of indigenious children have been discovered, stemming from a government system to assimilate these First Nations people into the white Canadian culture. Investigations are continuing, and more unmarked graves have been found throughout Canada.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau ordered flags to be lowered to half staff until further notice. I have seen numerous places in front of churches and government buildings where people have left children’s shoes as a reminder of this tragedy.

I’ve seen red clothing hanging along the road (and also visible in the photo above) though I don’t know the significance.

Now with dinner, I could ride until I found a good place to camp. Continuing north on 16, the scenery continued to amaze.

20210901_160754~2.jpg

20210901_171619~2.jpg

In the town of Moricetown, I saw this disturbing sign.

20210901_180829~2.jpg

I could be mistaken, but I think I listened to a Crime Junkie podcast about this area and the indigenious girls who have gone missing. [edit: it's here: https://crimejunkiepodcast.com/serial-killer-highway-tears/]

Kiwi Canuck had messaged me recommending I stop in this town for smoked salmon. Sounded like a great idea, but everything in town was closed up.

A little more scenery on the way up.

20210901_181543~2.jpg

20210901_184501~2.jpg

And then the junction with highway 37, the Cassiar Highway.

20210901_191625~2.jpg

From here, the road was how I was expecting. Narrow two-lane through the forest with very little traffic.

20210901_195157~2.jpg

I’d checked iOverlander for a place to camp for the night, and there was a highly-rated spot coming up, though I didn’t want to get caught out if they were occupied, so I watched along the road for a suitable backup.

The sites were along a lake down a wet gravel road.

20210901_200036~2.jpg

And of course, the spots listed in iOverlander were already taken. I thought I was going to have to backtrack, but then I found an almost-as-good spot a little ways further. There was no picnic table, and the ground was bumpy gravel, but I couldn’t pass it up.

20210902_085201~2.jpg

A loon passed my camp as it got dark, and I could hear its mate calling across the lake.

20210901_203538~2.jpg

(That may not be a loon, it was pretty far away. But I could hear a loon in the distance.)
    jon_l, gpfan, falcofred and 55 others like this.
  11. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
  12. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like SASQUATCH country to me! :yikes

:lol3

Thanks for the great updates Jamie! :thumb
    RD
    Jamie Z likes this.
  13. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d say that’s definitely a loon in the pic. The head profile gives it away.
    EmmEff likes this.
  14. cprbusa

cprbusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see it, it looks nothing like my mother in law...
  15. Delta_Rider

Delta_Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Jamie.
    I'm fairly new to the forum. I have read through all your report and am definitely in for the ride. Thank you for taking the time, and great pics along the way to keep us in the loop. Stay safe, and I look forward to more from your ride.
    Centerlane, Oldmanx, dano619 and 6 others like this.
  16. njmotophoto

njmotophoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The "raised in Minnesota" in me says that is definitely a loon. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this -- really enjoying it. Excellent writing, excellent photos. Outstanding adventure. Ride safe.
    Roads and Trails and Golden955 like this.
  17. kmag

kmag Average Sedentary Man

Oddometer:
    Interesting seeing the price of gas in Kitwanga. CDN$1.48/litre. Translates to about US$4.40/gallon(US gal). That's what I'm paying in the Los Angeles area.
  18. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    I thought it would be higher than that up there, in the Toronto area it is $1.39 per litre.
    kmag likes this.
  19. Lou Skannon

Lou Skannon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, definitely $1.47.9 for regular but $1.91 for premium. We must have passed each other along the way. I am coming back from Haida Gwaii.

Attached Files:

Jamie Z and rider1150gsadv like this.
  20. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch, $1.91/liter is much higher than the average $1.69/liter I found for Chevron 94 or Shell 91 everywhere north of Lillooet. REmind me not to fill up at Kitwanga!! @Lou Skannon hope you had a great trip on Haida Gwaii!
    Lou Skannon likes this.