RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    "As I rode, I had a lot of time to think about what James and I had talked about, and traveling with a partner."

This brought back memories of a RTW trip of an Australian dude named Sheldon. He met a girl in Poland, they hit it off and he asked her if she'd like to join him and she said yes. Today, they're happily married (at least I think so).
    His RR:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ride...pe-and-beyond-starting-june-26th-2011.699326/

Her RR:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-po...e-world-from-the-back-of-a-motorcycle.953608/

Fate takes some strange twists and turns in this crazy life, and happens most unexpectedly.
    Who knows what your fate is.....
  2. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    I like the cut of your jib.

20210904_195549_2.jpg
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    September 8, 2021

This is turning into a credit card tour.

Screenshot_20210912-101952_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

For breakfast I tried one of the cinnamon buns I bought yesterday at Toad Creek.

20210908_102629~2.jpg

Unfortunately it had raisins in it.

The road goes almost directly south from here. Today there was a lot of truck traffic, and I saw no motorcycles.

20210908_121535~2.jpg

Early on, I pulled over at a picnic area to use the washroom. There’s a pond here.

20210908_120009~2.jpg

Called borrow pits, my understanding is that these pits were formed during the construction of the Alaska Highway. The crews excavated the dirt to build the road.

While I rode I listened to a podcast series about the 9/11 attacks. It talked about the earlier bombing of the World Trade Center tower, and FBI infiltration of Al Qaeda by an Egyptian immigrant.

At another borrow pit I found this wacky contraption.

20210908_124849~2.jpg

No, I didn’t.

I needed fuel and stopped at Buckinghorse River.

20210908_142227~2.jpg

The station consists of two containers, one for diesel, the other for gasoline. There’s a self-pay kiosk. Definitely one of the most unusual fuel stations I’ve been to.

It was around here I started to think about my plans for the next couple of days. I should make it into Dawson Creek today; I expected there might be some interesting things to see there. I was also cold, and the weather tomorrow wasn’t looking great. I booked a room in Dawson Creek for two nights with full plans to do as little as possible tomorrow.

20210908_155959~2.jpg

I followed “Old Alaska Highway” to a wooden bridge which is no longer open to traffic.

20210908_181704~2.jpg

When I got into Dawson Creek I went first to a grocery store and picked up a few things for dinner. Walking out, a woman called over to me and asked me about my bike.

20210908_192648~2.jpg

Carmen and I chatted for a few minutes; she was keen to suggest routes for me for good roads and places to go in the area.

I checked into my room. It’s another fully-furnished apartment-style room with a kitchenette and separate bedroom. For dinner, a deli-store wrap.

20210908_201650~2.jpg
  4. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    September 9, 2021

"What do we do now?" "Nothin"

I had to go to the front desk last night to ask how to turn on the heat. The room had one small base heater in the main room with a tiny temperature knob, but nothing in the bedroom or bathroom, so it stayed a bit chilly, but I slept well.

Because I booked the room for two nights, I didn’t have to get up and check out today, so I stayed in bed past 9am. It felt good to do nothing, and have no need to go anywhere today.

But I did have a few tasks I wanted to take care of. I checked Google for clothing repair and found one shop not far away.

I rode over there, but I wasn’t sure I was in the right spot. Didn’t look like a place to get my riding pants fixed.

20210909_105530~2.jpg

So I walked into the door on the right and saw a woman sitting behind a sewing machine. I told her I was looking to have my riding pants fixed and she asked to see them. She had a look, told me it probably wouldn’t be too hard and asked me when I needed them back. I told her I was traveling and planning to leave tomorrow.

She laughed out loud. “No way. Not going to happen.” She pointed at a pile of clothes and materials on the chair behind her.

I understood completely. I was half expecting this… so I started to thank her. And then she says, “Wait… I’ll do it. It’s a quick job.” And she went to work removing the stitching for the liner so she could access both sides of the shell.

20210909_105501~2.jpg

She told me to come back in a couple hours and my pants would be ready.

So in the meantime I went to get my iconic photo.

20210909_110409~2.jpg

Nearby is a reminder of the indigenious children being mourned by the country.

20210909_111132~2.jpg

The forecast today had been cold and rainy, but the day was warm and mostly sunny.

When I went back to the seamstress, she had my pants ready and showed me, “You can’t even tell.” She’s right. Looks just like the factory stitching.

“What do I owe you for that?”

I thought I misheard her reply. $5. I thought she was joking. I was expecting to pay quite a bit more than that, so I gave her $10 and told her to keep it. Wow.

Across the parking lot from my hotel is a dive bar, and I thought I’d go over there tonight and try to be social, but when I went inside, the place was almost entirely empty.

I got a beer and wings.

20210909_201956~2.jpg

A few days ago I took the Myers-Briggs personality test, based in part because it’s come up in one of my podcast feeds. I scored a ISTP. So I sat at the bar eating my wings and drinking my beer without saying a word to anyone. Not that there was anyone to talk to...

And then walked back to my room, where I caught the end of Dallas playing Tom Brady. I didn’t realize it was a regular season game until it was almost over.

20210909_204448~2.jpg
    jon_l, Dracula, van the man and 46 others like this.
  5. Yeagar

Yeagar Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures, I’m bad about taking the time to stop and take photos. I’ll have to stop and see your seamstress the next time through there, been trying to get my wife to sew up a ripped out pocket on my riding pants but she keeps forgetting! By the way, just because Gronk is catching passes from Brady doesn’t mean it’s New England! Maybe you’ve been riding longer than you think??? Safe travels
  6. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Ha! Corrected.

I'm not actually a big football fan, but I like watching sports.
    Animo, Bapeter11, gpfan and 1 other person like this.
  7. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that curved bridge is over the Kiskatinaw (sp?) River?
    I remember crossing that thing and thinking that it was one of the most interesting bridges I've ever been on.

You should've hit Carmen up to be your local tour guide. :brow
    She's adorable ...................... you know, in a sassy kind of way.

Continued Safe Travels!
    And as always, THANKS for taking us along. :thumb

RD
    HandCanonShootr and Animo like this.
  8. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Right, so what's Carmen doing that she can't put off for awhile? :-)

ISTP-T, ISTJ-T here. I can relate.
    Centerlane, 9w6vx and advrockrider like this.
  9. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA, 2016 R1200RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol, read this and promptly informed my wife “Hey! You are a Unicorn!” She was appropriately confused, and yes, I am lucky.

Jim
  10. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    You have a knack, Jamie Z. You pack a lot into few words and choose your pics well.

Are you using a P&S camera on a lanyard for your on-the-go pictures?
    Centerlane and EZ-D like this.
  11. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    September 10, 2021

Hey, I've been here before!

Screenshot_20210913-223158_Firefox~2.jpg

I stayed in my room until check-out time. I’d made arrangements with GISdood in Prince George to stay for the night and change my oil at his place. Today would be mostly a mileage day.

But I had to pull over for this.

20210910_113759~2.jpg

I was going to say it was crude and simple... but I think that's the point.

I had to wait at a construction zone.

20210910_134241~2.jpg

It turned out to be probably the worst section of road I’ve been on in a very long time. When they let us through, we followed a pilot car. The construction area was filled with dust. The cars in front of me kicked up dust, and a few times we passed trucks going in the opposite direction kicking up completely opaque clouds. I had to pull over and stop several times.

After that, I looked for a place to pull over.

20210910_135343~2.jpg

I stopped at a campground for lunch, overlooking a lake.

20210910_142916~2.jpg

A few more miles, a scenic overlook.

20210910_170205~2.jpg

20210910_170414~2.jpg

I got to Kelly’s place just before sunset and he offered a beer and some dinner. His parents are staying with him temporarily and we stayed up past 11pm with his stepdad talking about bikes and Canadian measurements.

20210910_232855~2.jpg
  12. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's Fred Flintstones CaveMobile !!!

Fred Flintstone_Cavemobile.png

Freds CaveMobile.jpg
  13. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    on my trip to Alaska ~10 years ago all the other traffic was ok with motorcycles going to the head of the wait line in construction stops. Helped reduce the amount of dirt we had to inhale :)

Hopefully that's still true and worth trying ?
    sieg, knight, Krabill and 3 others like this.
  14. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking the same thing. Motorcycles were usually always brought up to the front of the line....
    sieg and Dirt2007 like this.
  15. Anwar Namtut

Anwar Namtut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Flinstone car is awesome.
    Golden955 and Hill Climber like this.
  16. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the mini shoutout! Bummer you couldn’t get into Hyder... “The Bus” (seafood restaurant) was a highlight for me. I’ll never forget those halibut cheeks.

Enjoying catching up on your trip. Can definitely appreciate your thoughts on a riding partner. I get those “what the f am I doing out here by myself” feelings too. Carry on!
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    September 11, 2021

Short day in the rain.

Screenshot_20210914-152734_Firefox~2.jpg

I slept in Kelly’s almost-finished basement apartment. He had to be up early for work, so when I got up, he was gone and I ate breakfast with his parents. After that, a much-needed oil change.

20210911_112724~2.jpg

Kelly’s stepdad John and I talked in the garage about politics, the two-party system in the US vs the Parliamentary system here in Canada. They're having a national election here in a few days.

After I finished up the bike work, I loaded my gear and said goodbye. On my way out of town I stopped at Kelly’s job as a riding instructor.

20210911_140031~2.jpg

He called for a break and came over to chat with me for a few minutes.

My plan for the day was to make it to Jasper. The group thought I’d have no problem making it that far, and Kelly’s colleague Jeremy thought it would be likely that I might see a grizzly bear along the route.

But… they don’t know me very well.

I stopped for fuel when I saw the last sign saying it was 180km before the next available fuel. Here I discovered that one of my tank bag straps had come loose. It’s held on by zipties, so I guess the zipties finally broke.

20210911_144334~2.jpg

It’s a very pretty route and I found myself repeatedly stopping for photos.

20210911_155653~2.jpg

I pulled into this park. There’s not much here but a trailhead, and though it would be enjoyable to stop to check it out, I didn’t figure I had a whole lot of extra time.

20210911_162656~2.jpg

As I rode I thought about the next few days. I wanted to make it to Jasper tonight, a big ask. The weather forecast was not looking great overnight. And already it was raining on me. I also wanted to stop in the town of Kelowna, which was a bit out of the way of my current direction.

So I made an en route change of plans. I would head first to Kelowna, and then go through Banff and Jasper afterward, assuming the weather holds out.

I stopped in the town of McBride along the highway, and went to the shabbiest looking hotel. A room is CAD$90 for a night, which is more than I’d like to pay, but probably the best deal in town.

20210911_182143~2.jpg

I parked my bike on the sidewalk under

When the guy showed me to my room, I pointed at the radiator inside. “How do I turn that on?” I was wet and cold and wanted to warm up.

He says, “Oh, that doesn’t work.” What is it with Canadian hotels and not having heat? I feel like I’m back in Mexico.

The manager got me a space heater to put in my room.

He recommended a restaurant down the road called the Pub. It’s actually called the Gigglin’ Grizzly, but who’s going to say that aloud?

I think half the reason he recommended that place is because nowhere else is open. I walked through town and though it was early Saturday evening, nothing was open.

20210911_183958~2.jpg

At the Pub I ate a burger for dinner. There was one other guy sitting at the bar and he struck up a conversation.

After dinner when I went outside to walk back to my room, a steady rain was falling.

20210911_201130~2.jpg

This was another reminder that I have to replace my jacket. The jacket I have now is high quality, but it is very airy and absorbent. I need to find a good water-repelling down jacket with a hood which packs up tiny.

The McBride hotel has a lounge downstairs, and this being Saturday night, I went down to have a drink and see what kind of nightlife I could find.

Well.. two drunk guys at the bar.

20210911_204049~2.jpg

A little later, a group of four already-pretty-drunk construction workers came in. The lead guy bought a round of drinks for the whole bar.

The bartender made me what she called a strawberry whiskey penetrator (or dominator or castrator or something).

20210911_214531~2.jpg

It wasn’t very good, and according to my taste buds, was not very strong. She said the snowmobilers who come through here really like them.

After a couple hours in the bar, soaking up the atmosphere, I went back up to my room to watch some YouTube videos, and scroll around on ADVrider.
    ilten, GringoRider, GISdood and 39 others like this.
  18. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    Careful. Worse than roaches, that's when the house hippos are at their worst.
    Pete_Tallahassee likes this.
  19. jaratr

jaratr Without a ride

Oddometer:
    ROFL.
    liv2day and rider1150gsadv like this.
  20. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer: