RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    I’m confused here Jamie.??
    Kelowna is way south almost on the US border.
    You will do several 100 extra miles to go south to Kelowna then back North to Jasper which you are close to (at time of report)
    Unless those are all roads you just want to ride.

Anyway—I am enjoying the trip whatever route you follow.
    Thanks for such a great (almost in real time) trip report.
    Look forward to your next instalment
    BB
  2. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    This is my favourite thread here.

One question, what camera does Jamie use for his travels? I don't think he lugs around a DSLR or large camera.

Thanks!
    EZ-D likes this.
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It didn't come up in my research.

Ha! That's pretty awesome.

Been seeing a lot of old cars, though mostly American made. Sometimes it's like being back in Cuba.

Most of my media came from Goodwill. For the year prior to departure, I made frequent stops at the local thrift shops and went through their CD/DVD collection. Just a couple minutes to rip the media and save it to my tablet.

I'm not sure if you've been reading my report, but I'm not much of a partier.

The trail past the main hot spring pool was blocked off... I don't know why.

And I pay zero attention to the price of fuel. It's an inelastic commodity. I need it. Doesn't matter what I have to pay for it. And the Honda is quite fuel efficient, so saving a few cents per gallon/litre really doesn't mean anything.

It's been so long since I had my V-Strom, and these two were two-generations separated from my 2005, but I did remember the engine sound. I didn't remember it being so smooth.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either, or with any number of good bikes out there. The Strom was going to be the bike I used on this trip, and I'm sure I would have been just as happy with it.

It's still one of my favorite things to do, and it did keep me there.

Very well-stated post.

Your comment about sharing a special moment with someone is what most often pops into my head. Some of the great sights I've seen, the beautiful rivers, lakes, and oceans. The clear night skies. Those are the moments when I am sitting by myself thinking how wonderful it would be to have my arm around someone. And I've had quite a few people (men and women) who have made comments like, "I'd love to join you." "Can I come with you?" And I usually say, "Yes, come on!" And yet nobody has. I have moments of frustration thinking to myself that "there must be someone out there somewhere who'd rather be doing this with me rather than going into work every morning."

But what would I do if someone took me up on the offer?

I've traveled with friends and girlfriends in the past, and I've always had a good time, but those moments you brought up would most certainly not have happened as they did. That's true. But no doubt I would have had other memorable experiences.
    Another reason I sometimes would like to have someone to travel with is exactly those differences. To have a different perspective. I consider myself pretty good at problem solving, but sometimes I figure something out, and then someone else will come along and say, "I think this other way would work better." And they're right. Like when Fin fixed up my topcase rack. I had spent quite a bit of time coming up with a good design in my head. Fin took a look and came up with a completely different solution which I thought was much better than the idea I had.

James told me that Vickie often gets him to do things he wouldn't otherwise do if he were by himself, and pointed out that almost always, he enjoys the new experience.

But I have to admit that quite often I've very glad that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want. I don't have to explain or compromise. I stop frequently for photos. I often make unexpected U-turns, or follow random tracks into the woods.
    Not sure of my plans for the next few weeks, but I'll mark you down on my map.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-aquatex-cover-with-top-case?sku_id=939404

It's this one, size large. I do like it a lot, though I had to have one of the straps restitched in Mexico. Also it was very pretty when I got it, so I had to mess it up a bit. The cover just barely fits over my huge top case.

That's the bridge. At some point they closed it. It's now blocked with concrete barriers that I couldn't get around even on a motorcycle.

Yeah, I had the same thought about Carmen, but she seemed to be in a rush. She told me she used to live in Dawson Creek, but moved away some years ago, and returned to visit friends for the weekend.
    In my world, unicorn is a fairly universally known term. I'm surprised your unicorn wife had never heard it.
    With rare exception, all my photos are taken with a Samsung Galaxy S10. I almost never take on-the-go photos. All those road shots are stopped along the shoulder, waiting for cars to clear.

I had the Bus marked, probably from your report.
    Hmm.. hard to commit on sizing. I'd sure like an opportunity to try it on. It does look like it might not pack up very small.

I'm confused, too.

Just trying to make the best choice based on weather and schedules.

As above, Samsung Galaxy S10. I do have a Moment 58mm lens attachment which I use occasionally.
    ilten, Baroquenride, liv2day and 7 others like this.
  4. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

"It was a great place to party on a Friday night."
    I'm not sure if you've been reading my report, but I'm not much of a partier.

No, I wouldn't take you for a partier. I'm not now, but I for sure when I was 21 years old and marooned in Kootenay Bay with a broken down 52 Pontiac. :photog
    liv2day likes this.
  5. codebot

codebot Neophyte RTA (Round The Americas).

Oddometer:
    I just about had to clean scotch off my computer screen with this statement. Alway happy to see an update from you!
    Jamie Z, liv2day and jaratr like this.
  6. EZ-D

EZ-D Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z likes this.
  7. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
  8. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank for all the effort you put into this RR. Been following since since I got de-railed onto this from Finn's excellent Cuba report. Anyways, I can't believe there's more than one flintstones car on this planet! I'll go back to lurking now:D

[​IMG]
  9. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've been to Rota!
  10. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From your spotwalla, it appears you're now holed up in Kelowna. Waiting for the weather to improve perhaps? FYI, there's a Motogiro happening in Nakusp this weekend if you're interested in seeing old, small Italian bikes competing on a closed public road. Then again, the forecast is for cool and wet so maybe you're wise to stay indoors if you can.
    Sunday Rider likes this.
  11. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
  12. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    September 12, 2021

Heading south.

Screenshot_20210915-111137_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

That space heater the hotel manager gave me did not do much to warm up the room. I still slept well.

When I packed up in the morning, nobody else was around. The hotel seemed to be completely empty except for me. The Shining, anyone?

On the way out of town I stopped for a few pictures.

20210912_130106~2.jpg

I turned off the main highway toward the town of Dunster.

20210912_130539~2.jpg

And a cool wooden decked bridge.

20210912_131039~2.jpg

Dunster started as a railroad stop. The tracks still run through town, but it wasn’t too long ago that the train was the only way in and out.

20210912_133122~2.jpg

I continued along the gravel Dunster road, hoping that it went back to the highway.

20210912_140311~2.jpg

And stopped for a break at a nearby cemetery, though with the lack of headstones, I wondered how many unmarked graves there are.

20210912_141418~2.jpg

On the back of the sign, somebody made a goof.

20210912_141445~2.jpg

20210912_142742~2.jpg

Lots of logging in this area. The road was a bit muddy and rutted in a few places from the trucks.

20210912_144239~2.jpg

Yesterday the guy at the Pub told me that there is world class fishing around here.

20210912_150441~2.jpg

20210912_155359~2.jpg

I found a free campground on iOverlander and turned off the main highway. The road to the campground went up and up, and cooler and cooler as my elevation increased. I got to the campground after sunset. It was cold and nobody else was there.

I thought about making a fire and searched around for wood, and then I hit the jackpot.

20210912_194611~2.jpg

The fire took an exceptionally long time to start putting out heat.

20210912_214250~2.jpg

I didn’t stay up nearly as late as last time I had a fire… but eventually I knew I’d have to crawl into my cold sleeping bag.
    jon_l, ilten, RozzyCat and 52 others like this.
  13. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

a little early throwback thrusday

[​IMG]
    DC950, y2blade, Golden955 and 2 others like this.
  14. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_0510.JPG

I always got a chuckle as I saw these signs for the bridges.
  15. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was warned about the Teslin bridge and it didn’t disappoint.. :eek7 Going sideways across the thing because the idiots installed the grating the wrong side up….:bluduh
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    September 13, 2021

Guess who!

Screenshot_20210915-175537_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

I slept a lot better than I was expecting last night. I bundled up before going to sleep.

When I woke up and got up I got a better look at my surroundings.

20210913_103224~2.jpg

Shortly down the highway, more construction. The flagger waved me to the front of the line.

20210913_123634~2.jpg

I stopped on a bridge.

20210913_134926~2.jpg

Heading for Kelowna today, I thought I’d take an alternate route from where Google was sending me. In any case, I ended up on a divided four-lane highway.

20210913_170242~2.jpg

And right around dinner time I landed at the house of some old friends.

20210913_190735~2.jpg

Some of you may recognize these folks.

Neda grilled steaks for dinner.

20210913_191105~2.jpg

And they set me up in a spacious guest room downstairs.

20210913_183122~2.jpg

Gene and I stayed up swapping stories. Most of Gene’s travel stories started with, “When my bike broke down in El Salvador…”
    jon_l, van the man, juno and 64 others like this.
  17. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap I love it when multiple threads I follow intersect, especially when one hasn't been very active for awhile
    Sunday Rider and gpfan like this.
  18. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow that steak dinner looks exceptional, Jamie, see how those potatoes are, that was the look I was going for but didn't quite get it, I bet they tasted good.
    Nice job Neda.
  19. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soooo....what is Neda riding these days?
  20. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    The only reason I know about the world largest toaster collection in Stewart I following another guy whom traveling BC in he RV etc and posting interesting videos . Eg the 5 remains of the sternerwheelers up near dawson .