RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Boooo.

Enjoy the winter.
    van the man likes this.
  2. Trainee_adv

Trainee_adv Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was hopeful you were continuing east.

Enjoy your winter!
    Jamie Z likes this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    stop by when you’re back in Denver. Sorry I missed you when you stopped over before. I can get around better now and answer the door etc.
  4. Desert John

Desert John Desert John Supporter

Oddometer:
    What you've now done is give new meaning to the word, hibernation. Enjoy your winter while the rest of us anticipate your continued wonderful reports.
  5. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    No one should take this observation in the wrong light, but I'm curious on the hiatus. I have been thoroughly enjoying Jamie's trip and reports since the start. While I'm not planning any RTW trip by any means, I'd think I would route my trip in a way that would take advantage of the seasons as they shift across the equator. Seems like that would be the neat thing about a RTW trip whereas many riders are shut down for weeks/months due to seasonal weather in our home areas. I was curious if Jamie had some family or personal issue that came up that needs to be addressed or perhaps an income opportunity came up that will make the RTW trip more doable as spring comes around. Again, no condemnation of his decision here, as that is totally a personal issue.
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same.
    camgregus likes this.
  7. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie has his own reasons but other than Mexico ground travel in Central and South America is not easy at this time and not even possible in some countries. (Assuming that will be the direction he's going.)
    liv2day likes this.
  8. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    See
    Travel isn't much fun during a lockdown and when people gathering together can produce potentially fatal results. I'm sitting out this year, as I did last year, and hoping for a better, safer springtime. Thanks for sharing, and your experiences are part of the reason I have my own CB500X, which I think is a great bike.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  9. rbw

rbw n00b

Oddometer:
    Jaimie, thanks for the awesome ride report! Looking forward to the next chapter. I got a kick out of your convenience store photo in Del Bonito...front and center in the pic is our iconic Canadian junk food, Cheezies! If you didn't try a pack on this trip they are worth the price of admission when you make it back our way! Cheers!
  10. STSmitty

STSmitty n00b

Oddometer:
    Jamie;

I also want to thank you for your effort in documenting your journey in such a thoughtful and interesting manner. It's comforting to know there are people like yourself who are actually out there traveling about and living your dream. As many others have said, it's much too easy to sit on the couch and have life whiz by. I've also enjoyed reading about your experiences with the CB500X; I have a CB500F that I really like, and it has been a good and reliable "tool" for having fun. It was very interesting for me to hear about your time in B.C. and Kelowna - Looking forward to your continuing adventures! (And yes, Hawkins Cheezies are a staple, made in Canada, eh!)

Ken
  11. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie,

You couldn't have picked a worse time too start your adventure. I think you deserve the ADV perseverance award of the year. I can see it must be draining on you.
    I hope you can recharge, add some more funds, sort all your gear and come out strong in 2022. We all need a better 2022 and I can see it being excellent for you!!!
    Keep us posted about your down time and your efforts to prepare for the road in 2022!
    liv2day, Jamie Z and Mofrid like this.
  12. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride along Jamie. Stay warm, stay sane, be cool. Have a good winter and see you come spring.
  13. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking us along @Jamie Z you've done an amazing job with your pictures and stories.....That little Honda has been superb

Enjoy your rest, I look forward to seeing this thread pop back up.

Look after yourself Jamie
    From the UK
  14. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Avidly following from the outset and sincerely appreciate all the time you've taken to keep all of us inmates involved from our respective screens. Still need to catch up on the next couple pages as I don't think you're hanging in that border town for the next few months, but wanted to quote this.

Safe stay where ever you land for the hiatus @Jamie Z, you've enriched my life vicariously and that's something man. None of us are getting out of this life alive, your candid approach to this report has been most excellent.
  15. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Meaningless post to make this thread easier to find.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd love to catch up with both of you guys at the same time. I'm in and out of the Front Range this next season.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Even the most dedicate travelers get to this point from time to time.

I travel alot but on 1-4 week stints...I'm always happy to be back in familiar settings at times...and then the itch starts up again.

GISdood and Sparrowhawk like this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell you can stop by anytime man.
    Aside from my PT sessions I’m doing a whole lotta nothing. Would be great to meet you (and JZ)
  19. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    LOL!...good reference. I think the Covid suggestion is probably the best reason...or at least perhaps a big contributing issue. Jamie had quite a few issues with it in some locations, so it seems reasonable to let the hoopla settle a bit.
  20. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Between inevitable mutations, lack of vaccine compliance and general ignorance it's going to awhile before long distance travel becomes
    practical again. Jamie Z has done a great job in spite of the Virus but certainly his trip suffered. Good time to hiatus and throw down more duckets into the fund, travel locally as can. Wait until travel can actually occur which could be quite a while sadly. Id say a couple years.
    Need the World to accept the Virus is real and vaccinations are only way to stop it.
    Kudos to Jamie for going as far as he did
    yamalama, liv2day, Animo and 10 others like this.