RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think they were installed in anticipation of Canada´s coming ground invasion.
    roadcapDen, jon_l and liv2day like this.
  2. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you end up back in Denver for the winter lemme know...
    Jamie Z likes this.
  3. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Kinda funny, riding season just started for us in Oklahoma!

Summers are pretty brutal.
    simmons1 likes this.
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need an assistant? :D
  5. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm up for this as well, I'm in Golden, easy to get to Denver or West.
    Earache likes this.
  6. scudo

scudo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the wood burner Jamie.
  7. Sōul-ō

Sōul-ō sick and tired I stand alone Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, as high as rent is in the Denver area, I’d consider hunkering down in a place with lower cost of living, so you can save more of your seasonal earnings for fuel and tacos.
    Jamie Z and Baroquenride like this.
  8. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that Colorado is your comfort zone, but if not, I'd suggest hunkering in Vegas for Winter. Much work and Vegas don't sleep so two jobs is conceivable. Plus the riding season don't end there.
  9. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride along, Ride Report and honesty. Loved reading about the adventure…Enjoy the break and we’ll see ya when you’re back out there!
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for hanging out by the fire the other night Jamie. It was great to meet you and shoot the shit. You’re welcome to stop over any time.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    There he is! Right between Panama and El Salvador!

B90DAE10-C092-4BCE-A68E-5B7957AFFEAC.jpeg

Here we go. Closeup. Thanks for the decal Jamie. Sunny wears it proudly.

121128B1-E4F0-4F3F-AADE-2BBAE0AAD476.jpeg
  12. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent a couple of weeks returning to Denver after I crossed into the US at Del Bonita.

Northern Montana is a place I want to return to. It’s a place I’ve never been, or at least not for very long. I was impressed.

20210920_170601~2.jpg

I camped in a free campground my first night back in the US.

20210920_184255~2.jpg

According to quite a few roadside signs, the Corps of Discovery came through this area.

20210921_115451~2.jpg

I really enjoyed the town of Fort Benton.

20210921_162459~2.jpg

A few nights later I camped at another free campground.

20210921_193459~2.jpg

And enjoyed this impressive liquor aisle in the nearby grocery store.

20210921_210237~2.jpg

A few other sites.

20210921_181928~2.jpg

20210922_125201~2.jpg

20210922_140033~2.jpg

20211004_112552~2.jpg

20210922_173749~2.jpg

A churchside campsite to watch some football.

20211003_181637~2.jpg

I found a perfect free campsite in the Black Hills.

20211005_104441~2.jpg

My plan initially was to stay here a few days, but after the chilly first night, I scrapped that idea.

But I did enjoy the area (again).

20211005_122850~2.jpg

20211005_152045~2.jpg

Camping in the sand dunes after I found the nearby campground completely full.

20211006_090138~2.jpg

During the night the wind blew hard and I could hear, and then feel the sand blowing against and inside my tent. When I woke, everything was covered in finely sifted sand which had come through the mosquito net.

In the morning I hiked the nearby geological site.

20211006_100319~2.jpg

I made it back to Denver where I did some quick maintenance and found this unusual wear. My rear sprocket is noticeably worn; the front sprocket is fine.

20210929_152624~2.jpg

20210929_152632~2.jpg

Once again I stayed in Amy’s guest room. I ordered some special pasta online and Amy made sauce from scratch.

20211008_191332~2.jpg

Dan invited me over for a Saturday night fire, barbecue, and to check out Sunny.

20211009_204840~2.jpg

I was happy to have finally met Dan after exchanging numerous messages and following each other on our trips and we traded quite a few stories about Mexico and beyond.

I also washed all my gear, and hopefully got all the sand out of my sleeping bag. I took a few days off being lazy, barely getting out of bed.

An old friend messaged me out of the blue and told me he was living in Phoenix now and suggested that it was a good place to work, if I happen to be looking for a new gig, so I put in a couple of job applications. When I moved to Denver back in 2015, Phoenix was second on my list, and I always thought I’d end up there somehow, so hopefully a job offer will work out. If nothing comes out of Phoenix, I'll see about getting my old job back here in Denver.

To that end, I’ll be heading out in the next day or two to Phoenix in my job search. I’ll be in my car.

20211008_152247~2.jpg
    levain, workerB, DaleE and 70 others like this.
  13. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The weather right now in Arizona is perfect. Until next June.
    Starstruck, Cow Boy Brad and Jamie Z like this.
  14. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    It is always fantastic when 2 ride reports cross paths. I found about Jamie's ride reports from one of Dan's posts on his ride report.
  15. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Thanks for this post. Even when you're "not doing nuttin'" you take great pictures. Good luck in AZ. I'll have to disagree a bit with @lookatdirt; June is already too hot there. Hopefully you'll be back on the road by then.
    y2blade, lookatdirt and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  16. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been digging the ride report from the beginning - good luck with job search (I'd hope for Phoenix) and looking forward to more in the futurs
  17. daveindenver

daveindenver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jamie, thanks so much for your ride report. I spent the last couple weeks reading every post. Not many folks get into Cuba on a motorcycle!

I’m curious about your experiences with the chain(s). From the number of your posts on the topic it seems like you had a lot of chain issues. Compared to your past experiences would you consider your chain problems to be excessive, or are the number of posts more reflective of you just being detailed with your analysis?

Any lessons learned?
    Sunday Rider and y2blade like this.
  18. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Steel rear sprocket or hardened aluminum? Many are the reasons some like shaft drive when traveling. Supposedly newer technology has made chains more better but that's not been my recent experience with a BMW GS700, same old hassles. Worth having a heavier bike just to lose the pain of the chain. Trade your sister, that GL500 a winner IMHO.
    Get to the West as it's the Best, get here and we'll do the rest.
    Keep up the Good Work
  19. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, can't see everything. But when you left the Canadian Del Bonta border gate about 10-12 miles into the US is the below driveway leading to what most of us consider the most important Corp of Discovery/Lewis and Clark campsite. The pictured driveway below is the route across an Indian wheat field to the Camp Disappointment. Here Meriwether Lewis spent 4 days trying to see the stars to calculate the latitude location of a little creek running from the Canadian border south, toward the Gulf of Mexico...giving the US all land east from Montana to Louisiana (via Louisiana Purchase Territory). Over cast clouds for 4 days so Lewis could not calculate the exact coordinates so he called their camp, Camp Disappointment. Lewis guessed at the coordinates and wrote down a detail description of their campsite and location of creek. These coordinates took this hunk of the US territory away from France...otherwise France would have owned Montana, Idaho, etc.

CampDisappointRoad.jpg

View attachment 3248423

Attached Files:

Jamie Z likes this.
  20. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Out the dirt driveway (above) is the actual campsite of Camp Disappointment. (below). You came down Hwy 444, aka Meriwether Lewis Road...runs into Cut Bank, Montana to the south. The little coral off to the right of picture is believed to be the site of their camp.

Camp_Disappointment.JPG
    The drive way was just south of your picture (below) of the long stretch of a gravel road. South of here Private Field and Capt Lewis killed two Blackfoot Indians....only killings on their expedition.

[​IMG]
    RustySpokes and Jamie Z like this.