RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    I have the same rack and also used bolts, rubber and metal washers and nylock nut to secure the adaptor. I found the nylock nut to loosen one or 2 threads over time (then stop) so the rubber washers act as a damper. As for failure, I have read of a couple and seen one "online with pictures". Users claim rack was not overloaded. Anyway, on my last trip into Mexico, the SW Motech rear rack with 38L top box held up fine. On a previous trip, I had a Metalmule rear rack with top box that snapped and required re-welding. I keep my topbox pretty much empty when riding long distances except for a bottle of water (1L), some snacks and gloves. I only overload the top box when going from grocery store to campsite/accommodation (less than 10 miles). Anyway, since you have what looks like the 52L Givi, be cautious. The positive is South of the border, finding someone to re-weld is cheap and easy. Also, "toll" highways have no speedbumps. The "free" highway is littered with them.
    IMG_20201202_125124.jpg
    Jamie Z likes this.
  2. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I have used the SW-Motech ALU rack system on multiple motorcycles, lots of miles and years, and have never experienced any failures.
    pceire32 likes this.
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before in a different thread.

Here's how I have my adapter plate reinforced. I've used stainless buttonhead bolts with nylock nuts underneath with flat washers. I added a thin steel plate (painted black) on the underside of the rear bolts because the bolt holes were close to the edge of the rack.

20201202_111042.jpg

20201202_111101.jpg

I haven't noticed the nuts loosening at all over the course of the last couple thousand miles that I've had this setup.

You can also see where I've inserted nylon washers under the rubber spacers on top of the adapter plate to make them fit a little tighter against the top case. All my modifications have noticeably firmed up the top case, though I'm still dismayed at how much flex there is in the whole system. It's not a lot of flex, but it's more than I've experienced with any other bike. If I had to do this over, I'd probably get a smaller top case, and I might not go with SW Motech racks, but to be fair, the CB500X has no significant rear subframe to attach the top case, so any rear rack is going to have this potential problem.

I'm also concerned about the rear Givi lock striker, what SW Motech calls the "snap hook," it's bolted onto the thinnest part of the adapter and seems vulnerable to me. I tried to think of a simple way to reinforce that area, but I can't come up with anything without having access to machining tools (and skills).

I've got a spare adapter plate ready to go, so if this one fails I can quickly replace it... or at least as quickly as shipping it to wherever I am at the moment. In the worst case, I'm confident that I could find a welding shop to fabricate a replacement adapter plate from steel and simply transfer the Givi mounting hardware over.

Mine is the Street Rack. I tried to find an Alu Rack but they're not made any more. In any case, it's good to know that yours has held up. Maybe I'm worried over nothing... I hope that's the case.

Jamie
    gpfan, pceire32 and scarysharkface like this.
  5. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Jamie, you have the newer adaptor plate, I am using the older version with 3 pins. Looking at your setup, I can't imagine the adaptor plate failing. The 4 bolts vs my 3 bolts setup is much stronger. Also, you are using larger bolts and nuts. If there is any failure, it would be the rear rack plate that is bolted under the seat. Enough speculation...you will be fine! Enjoy the adventure.
    sw motech.jpg
    Jamie Z and scarysharkface like this.
  6. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Good advice. Thanks!
    gpfan and steved57 like this.
  7. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    IN
    First of all congrats on the hardest part of the journey...the first step.
    Excellent choice on the bike(had one). It will run forever and the maitenance is very very low. Its also a ubiquitous motor as Honda has and continues to flood the world with it...so, parts and expertise RTW is growing. It also runs on plain old gas. Obviously add a pre filter for the fuel, or even use a sock in the places where you know the gas is suspect.

Little known story: Neil Armstrong longed to be a sailor. He dreamed of it and made plans with his girlfriend. Together they made plans to sail the seven seas. As the sail date grew closer his enthusiasm grew more intense. One day he came home only to find his girlfriend had hooked up with a Bartender from Wichita and moved out...she was gone. He took up flying instead....
  8. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    I’ve been running those on my CB500X Jamie. Couple fronts and just put on 3rd rear. Tried 150/70-17 first & now on second 170/60-17 and feels better.

I run with soft bags and probably lighter than you will be, and getting 14-16,000 Kim’s on rears (mostly loaded) and they sure work decent all round.

Mostly pave, at probably 60mph average, 10-15% gravel, no real “offroad” due to bikes limits and my age.
    You may just end up putting another set on.
    Safe travels dude and I’m sure looking forward to your report.
    BB
    scarysharkface likes this.
  9. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran the 705 tires on my wife's V-Strom 650 and on the KLR. They were a great tire on the road and okay on everything else except mud and wet grass. Long lasting and inexpensive. I ran Heidenau K60s on the big GS and they lasted forever. I think I got 13k MILES out of a rear.

John
    pceire32 and Dan Diego like this.
  10. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    This is going to be good. Take care and stay safe in your travels. :lurk
    pceire32 and Jamie Z like this.
  11. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Jamie, thanks for all your work tending the tent space threads on the site for the past few years. Keeping this valuable asset current has been a big job. Hopefully you can benefit from some of the work that you and some others have done with this as you make your way on your trip. Best wishes on your RTW trip! Looking forward to following your experiences.
  12. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Hi Jamie... I think it is so very cool that you can acknowledge Brenda's contribution to your dream even though it did not work out as planned.
  13. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Here here! Well said... thanks Jamie... My wife and I have hosted many folks and they all have been great people with interesting stories to share.
    pceire32, Jamie Z and scarysharkface like this.
  14. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    I’m in. Following, popcorn, if you are in east AR you have a couch or bed, as needed.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  15. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your travels Jamie. Your threads have always been a fun read and I'll be following this one.

If you make it up north and need a place to stop for a few days in Helsinki, let me know. I have a garage and tent space. Depending on schedule I could even show you around a bit. Discu Stu and his wife always speak highly of you and it would nice to meet up. Ride safe, ride fun, and have a great time.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    A what now?
    gpfan likes this.
  17. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Believe he is talking about a filter that you can put in the tank opening to “pre-filter” the fuel as it goes into the fuel tank, they can look like a sock that can be fixed around the fuel inlet on some bikes.
    Like putting a heavy duty coffee filter between the fuel you buy and your bike’s tank.
  18. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I've used the Shinko 705 in the past and they've worked out for me. Historically I'm very easy on tires, so hopefully I'll get some good mileage out of these, or I'll be buying tires in Mexico.

I'm currently running the 150/70-17, but I might switch to the wider tire next time, like you say. John, thanks for the Heidenau suggestion. Trying to figure out which will be my long-term tires.
    Thanks!
    I'm looking forward to utilizing Tent Space as a guest!
    Only if we can go listen to some good live music! Good to hear from you Gregg.
    It'll be a couple of years, but I hope to be up your way! Thanks.
    gpfan and scarysharkface like this.
  19. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    You carry this on your bike? I don't know where I'd put something so bulky, while keeping it clean and not making the rest of my stuff smell like gas.

mrfunnel.jpg

I did some searching around and found the Guglatech filter which fits inside the tank itself... but they don't list the CB500X. Looks like they have other Honda bikes, and I'm sure the filler hole is the same... but I just don't see how it'd fit. The filler hole on my bike is just barely big enough for the fuel nozzle; I can't imagine trying to stuff a filter in there also.

But I think more importantly, I'm getting into a time crunch. I'm planning to leave very soon, so I won't have time to order something online and wait for it to arrive. I've already got a couple of packages on the way which I'm not sure will make it before I leave.
    gpfan, MotoSly, Andyota and 1 other person like this.