RTW the Jamie Z Way: Winter Hiatus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. antipode

antipode Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Jamie, I will be following you like so many other inmates here.
  2. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! All the best! My 2016 CBX has been a excellent travel bike, bought used with the full RR kit. just retd from a 4000mi + trip, hung with the AT & GS riders (mostly) only needed a r tire on the road, chain & sprockets at 25K mi.
    Got wrenches to remove wheels? Rally Raids are great. That rack connection bears close watching, just not enough meat/metal, bracing for a top-box on a rough road.

...and I can pick it up!!

Go Jamie!
    Mike B

ps re: vintage travel. my avatar is me 1983 in Eastern Aust. No luggage but a backpack, have come a long way, since, but still very do-able (mindset).
  3. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    So... that's what you have been up to! A RTW plan, mkay.

Following along. The CB500X is a nice bike, but I like my NC700X a little bit better! These bikes are a nice when it comes to making a mid-sized Adventure style bike, and they are cost effective.
    Will be watching for the N. American route, if you get inside Missouri we'll meet up again for brews, a meal, a place to recharge, some riding.
    Jamie Z and pceire32 like this.
  4. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't imagine spending ten years on the road. For me, a trip like this has to be fun and not work. Extending a trip into years and years starts turning into work. I'd much rather have more, shorter trips than one super long trip that turns into a slog.
    EZ-D likes this.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    One week until blast off. I had been arbitrarily targeting January 15, but I should be ready to go by Monday the 14th, and according to the forecast, Monday is a better day to be on the road.

[​IMG]

I'll sure make a post or two about my gear and accessories.

I'm getting 70mpg. :deal
    For those unaware, I rode a V-Strom 650 to Mexico and Central America in 2007. That trip was somewhat spontaneous so I didn't have much time to plan and prepare. It's one of my most memorable trips, and I plan to go back to revisit a few places I saw back then. I also learned a lot about how I like to travel which has helped shape how I'm planning and preparing for this journey.
    It's hard to describe. While I suppose I could say that I'm second guessing myself, it's not exactly how I feel. I don't think I'm on the wrong path, but I'm suffering from Fear of Missing Out.

Like any big change... moving, new job, kids, marriage... this is a big step into the unknown for me, so it's hard not to have some reservations.
    Yes, I've got the Rally Raid axle tools, and I've used them both a couple of times to change tires. +1 on the rack. I'll be checking on it frequently.
    The NC700 was on my list for sure, and even when I went to the dealership to pick up the CB500X, I sat on the NC700 in the showroom, just to make sure.

Right now it doesn't look like I'll be going through Missouri... but you never know!
    I can't imagine it either! That's why I'm going to try it and see if I like it.

I look at it similar to someone who picks up and moves across the country for a new job. I'm picking up and moving. I'm going to live on my bike. I have a new job, albeit a non-paying job, my work every day will be living. This isn't a vacation, though I might periodically take a vacation while I'm on the road.

If it were to turn into a slog which I don't enjoy, then I'll find something else, just like anybody else would. If you don't like your job, you should look for a new one.

I have a couple of friends who saved up for years to take a several-year-long motorcycle trip. A few months in, they realized it wasn't what they were looking for and they weren't enjoying it, so they went back home. I understand I might end up doing the same thing. And if that happens, then I have enough for a good down payment on a house, if that's what I choose to do. Or any number of things. But if I get on the road and love it, I'm going to look into ways I can extend it for as long as possible.

...I wonder how those thoughts will sound to me if I come back in a few years and reread them.

Jamie
    gpfan, ACR, RTWstare and 31 others like this.
  6. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s fantastic. You might lose a few mpg when you’re loaded up, but with your 4.6 (?) gallon tank you’ll still have great range.

Will you carry any spare fuel? I’ve got a 1.3L (1.5?) Primus canister I’ve yet to mount. It isn’t a lot of fuel, but my GS gets 55+ mpg so one or two of these is enough reserve for anything I’m contemplating. Might even be enough for your big trip given how the CBX sips fuel...
    pceire32 likes this.
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    70mpg is fully loaded. I've taken a handful of 1-2 night trips to test everything out, and my mpg stays right around 70.

No plan to carry extra fuel, but my stove burns gasoline, so I'll have about an extra liter with me on the bike as an emergency reserve.
    gpfan, pceire32, Sunday Rider and 6 others like this.
  8. canuckrider

canuckrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow...just caught up on this thread...really looking forward to following your adventure! If you find yourself looking for a roof in either Winnipeg or Phoenix, let me know. We're invariably in one or the other!
    pceire32 and Jamie Z like this.
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    The way things are shaping up at the moment, I'll be in Phoenix next week (planning to stay with my cousin) if you want to meet up or do a half-day ride. I should be passing through Winnipeg in June 2021.
    gpfan and pceire32 like this.
  10. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your trip Jamie, it doesn't sound like you need any encouragement but I will say I have never met anyone who has done a trip like this and regretted it, myself included, it will be a fantastic experience. A good choice of bike, I met an Irish/Polish couple on the ferry between Vancouver Island and Port Angeles who had ridden up from South America and were coming back down from Alaska on a pair and they had nothing but praise for them, it would be my choice if I was setting off again.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  11. canuckrider

canuckrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're not heading to Phoenix until the New Year but we'll likely be in Winnipeg in June 2021 so be sure to let me know your schedule! I look forward to that...maybe Uncle Phil will join the party as his 2020 ride through on the way to Alaska got scrubbed as well! Both our spring and fall ride to/from Phoenix/Winnipeg in 2020 got cancelled because of the border shutdowns so I actually arranged to have my motorcycle shipped from Phoenix to Winnipeg so at least I'd be able to ride it this past summer in Western Canada. It means for the first time in 10 years I won't have a motorcycle in Phoenix over winter. Safe travels!
    Jamie Z likes this.
  12. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I've had those days on the couch, wondering what might have been (for better or more likely worse). Many of us have, not regretfully, taken different paths that won out over our love for adventure in far off lands but will be looking forward to this report. Good luck on the trip and there are many of us who will be living it through your eyes.
    MotoSly, Aces 6 and EZ-D like this.
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Reg!
    gpfan likes this.
  14. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    "Hmmmmm (twicthing ears and generating your best Fozzy Bear voice), There is no path wrong, only different." :thumb

As a college professor I had from the UK said; "Americans think life is A to Z and he drew a straight line. That is not living, that is waiting to die. Living to live is the same A to Z but like this" - drew a lot of crazy curvy lines. "It s the experiences and discovery gained along the way that is life."
    That was about 34 years ago but stuck with me.

So here's to the experiencing the curves in life! :beer
    Good luck and thanks for having us aboard.
  15. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    You already know this, but the harder you have to work for it the sweeter it is, enjoy the adventure.
    buckthedog, Andyota, Ctrod and 2 others like this.
  16. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Aces6,
    I like this quote!
  17. TomTrek

TomTrek out to lunch

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z.jpg
    Jamie! Exciting news! I remember you talking about this trip back in Feb 2014 when you, Brenda, Kev Brady, me, and the British couple who were touring the US all enjoyed a nice dinner. It was maybe a month later when I bought a XT 250 and started learning to ride. As fate would have it, I ended up journeying by canoe and car the following year, but still have the bike. Was planning to travel on it or something bigger eventually, but got married instead. Oops. Looking forward to your journey. We're in Houston and will be for another year, at which time my bride and I plan to spend a few years traveling by RV. If you make it down this way then holler.
  18. Old Codger

Old Codger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I followed your 2007 epic ride report and photos, looking forward to this one have a great time and be safe :clap
    Jamie Z likes this.
  19. EnzoftheRoad

EnzoftheRoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reg pointed out your latest adventure.

We're in the opposite direction of Mexico but if/when you hit the great white north, you have a few friends up here.
    4F32E01B-1959-4529-B8C5-0D22F74599C5.jpeg
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I hope I can keep up the report from the road.

I've been thinking about that a lot the last few months as I close in on the big day.

Oh man, that was a good time. If I recall, Kev was paddling the river, and the couple were caravanning around the US.

I'm not sure if I'll be coming through Houston, but I'll add a pin on my map in case I come through. Would be great to see you again.
    Thanks.

You ARE old!:lol3

I'll be zipping around Canada for a little bit, for sure. As long as they're letting Yanks in.