RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoosterMan

RoosterMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yourself, Edventure, and RTWPaul have been my regular fixes for the last few years. I've missed your twisted sense of humor and honest writing style. Glad to see ya back.
    RoninMoto likes this.
  2. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it does!

Oh shit. don't hold your breath.
    Grynch likes this.
  3. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    ^^ This. Well said. Looking forward to the NZ section and you getting this RR off your desk :deal
    RoninMoto likes this.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. DirtRideRoader

DirtRideRoader Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer:
    Me too!

It's great to hear from you Noah. I will definitely be reading about the rest of your adventures.
    But like your trip, you only need to finish the story if you feel the need.

Good to hear you are doing well.
    RoninMoto likes this.
  6. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    Hi Noah!

Great to see you posting again. You started this RR right around the time I became aware of ADVRider and seeing your adventure unfold sent my mind racing!

Two points:

That section where you rode with the beautiful Russian motorcyclist was amazing. I haven't re-read your report but to this day I still think about that story (in a totally not creepy way :rofl).

The few other reports I read before yours which involved long periods of travel seemed to have only one type of starring character: the moto bum. It was great to see you are a working professional and chose to live a different way. From what I gathered you were happy to travel extensively then head home and replenish your bank account before striking out again. About the time your report started I was starting grad school and your story gave me hope that I could be a working professional and experience the world by motorcycle. That the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. Of course I recently got fired due to a month-long motorcycle trip to Alaska but that's a story for another day :jack.

Noah I wish you all the best whether you post the rest of your story or not! (but please do post it)

-Tyler
  7. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to get out and ride bud. For me, if I not working in the US, I should leave. It is cheaper to travel outside the country than to live in the country. Especially if you do it cheaply. Insurance has been $1000 ANYWHERE in the world except the US... for a whole year. Contract work is amazing. Especially if you have a contracts that are 50 hours a week/pay overtime etc. Make money when you can. Live cheaply. and fuckoff as much as possible. :p
  8. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the beginning of the report. I believe he has info on all the issues.
  9. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first chairlift ride was at Afton Alps. Jackson is much better.
    RoninMoto likes this.
  10. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very happy you are finishing this - it's much appreciated!
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I'd be on the road if I weren't paying off a bad business deal from last year. Dammit! I could have been riding in a support truck at Dakar in January!
    just jeff likes this.
  12. pmnsg

pmnsg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noah...happy to hear from you! Thanks for sharing what you are happy to..but keep on doing it ;)

Greetings from Portugal!!!

Best,
    Pedro
  13. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Yes but it could take another 2 years :imaposer
    sprouty115 likes this.
  14. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks! But you already know that. You should be riding in a support truck. Get there. do it.

You are not kidding.
  15. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mentioned earlier about health insurance being about $1000 a month in the rest of the world. Which companies do you use? We are looking for insurance for Mexico. What do you do for Medical while you are working in the states? Thanks.
  16. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Not an idiot. Because you were too trusting. Tough way to learn, but you know better now.
    To revisit this, travelers need secure parking or to stay with their bikes.
  17. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    $1000 per year dude...
    Last winter I used WorldNomads. When I was on the motorcycle I used HCC. http://www.hccmis.com/atlas-travel-...CXiVX--s5oLz8iJlLeRpgBQNm6sizl6528xoCKXXw_wcB
    ErGuss, kiwial and Grynch like this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    There are a number of options in that department, I've used Atlas and have my SPOT coverage
  19. ChopperCopper

ChopperCopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Noah! Like many here let me also say that I look forward to your new posts and new adventures. Glad to hear you are doing well! Mike
    Mofrid likes this.
  20. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished this RR after several weeks. I'll just add my thanks and admiration at what you were able to accomplish. Like many of you, I'm waiting for the true 450-650 adventure bike, and it doesn't look like the CCM will make it to the US anytime soon. Short of that, it looks like the DR650 or the 690 are on the short list to replace the VStrom. Of course, if I had found ADV sooner, I'd have never bought the VStrom to begin with. Heavy bikes take all the fun out of backcountry riding.

Anyway, thanks again, Noah. Bumped your page so others can find it (and to give you that gentle nudge to finish the damn story. :rofl)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.