RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Did you check out WorldNomads?
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    michnus, worldnomads left a expat living in Thailand without health coverage only to transport him back to Thailand. check STA travel in the states. Try progressive stateside MC insurance , they have medical addons.
  3. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a 2017 Husky 701.
    Cro59 likes this.
  4. Gone_Ridin

Gone_Ridin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The CCM is available in Canada and there have been new "Spy" pics of a smaller KTM ADV circulating the web.
    I somewhat did what Noah had and rebuilt an old 640 Supermotard so I would have lightweight and a carb for less electronics and easier maintenance if I ran into shitty gas.
    Cro59 likes this.
  5. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've looked at the 701. Another good candidate.
    RoninMoto likes this.
  6. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear... I ran into lots of shitty gas and I only ever had a problem in Australia and it never left me stranded. Carbs? are you serious? its 2016!
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are on Acapulco now, I will take Mexican gas anyday over ethanol infused California gas. I had about 10 liters in a container for about a year, put it in the scooter, the thing runs like a champ. Never even drained the float bowl.
    goodcat and Gone_Ridin like this.
  8. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Borrowed that line from our dumbfuck Prime Minister?
    Hey what can I say; I'm an oldschool mechanic and still like tuning a carb, did me fine when I used to race sleds for Polaris.
    Bought a 2003 bike for $2,700 maybe put another $1,000 into it with chain, sprockets tires and gear and then rode 8,000k around Eastern Europe in 2 weeks. Guess it did the job
    But I apologize for not putting gazzillions into the most recently hyped gear on the market just to go for a ride.
  9. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuel injection on bikes is hardly the latest thing - 36 years old now.
    https://rideapart.com/articles/motorcycle-history-motorcycle-fuel-injection
  10. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    I apologize, wasn't trying to hijack an excellent ride report or start a debate on fueling systems. Obviously fuel injection isn't new technology, just constantly being refined. It used to just feed the combustion chamber and now it's tied to traction control and other systems. I have experience with both and when I was deciding on what I would take over to ride I weighed all the pros and cons. I only meant to point out that I had chosen the simplest, lightest unit to do the job I was looking for or thought I needed/suited the ride I would be doing based on what I have read in the ride reports of others and it worked for me. I have read bike builds here that have riders spending more on their fairing and electronics than I have into my entire bike and then there's El and Blinkin at the other end of the spectrum; I was somewhere in the middle.
    I hope my posts aren't taken the wrong way, just options.
    varago, goodcat, AJRJ and 1 other person like this.
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said
  12. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    If I'm not poking fun at you.. I'm not doing my job. :p You did say a few right words... Mainly "lightest unit"...
    BikerBobber likes this.
  13. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how many total miles did you get out of that 690 Noah? Still have it? I remember seeing at one point you got 100k but lost track after that
  14. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    84k miles. original piston. Rocker arm exploded in NZ. Still have the bike but have not fixed her yet.
    sprouty115 and Onward like this.
  15. Engineer John

Engineer John Engineer

Oddometer:
    My 2009 had a loose rocker roller at 14,000 km (8600 mi). The small roller shaft had shifted sideways and was rubbing on the exhaust rocker.
    I'm glad I read this on the mega thread because as soon as I heard different sounds I checked the valves and caught it before the cam was damaged.
    A new factory number on the replacement tells me it's a recognized design flaw.

John
  16. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quote John:"A new factory number on the replacement tells me it's a recognized design flaw."
    Ya.... a bunch of us thought that too. Unfortunately there are still reports of the newest series failing.
    JJ
  17. guttrd

guttrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Noah, did the cuddle shuttle have 4wd stock? Or did you convert it?
  18. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Noah,

I just want thank you very much for your report about this epic adventure. It took me through the cold and misery weather in Dezember an and January. I was only reading in the end of the day under my warm blanket and took your story into my dreams.
    Very often I was looking forward to go to bed to open the next chapter :-)

It was really an epic adventure - and I am so happy that you wrote such a great report with so many pictures. I am of the same opinion about weight of adventures bikes - they became much to heavy over the last decade.
    I think that your KTM - the CCM 450 and some of the smaller bikes are great. Just down to the 250 whizzers - used by CJ - Motomavics. These bikes - and riders - have proven that small bikes are great to travel off road.

It would be great to see you doing the South America trip - perhaps you can revive your KTM?

Definitely I am looking forward to read more about your travel.

My best wishes and thank you for sharing your story.
  19. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I was the only one who thought that way.

Cheers.
  20. Rixrider

Rixrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Gray Cuddle Shuttle w the green wheels was spotted parked in a suspect parking lot a few weeks back......were you piloting Noah?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.