Ruckus or Zuma??

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rich_mc, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    Been wanting a scoot for a while....Usually eyeball them at Competition Accessories in Springfield, OH and the Ruckus and Zuma are the two I seem to like best....

I know the big differences like 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke......I assume the Zuma is faster???

Those of you who have either a Ruck or Zuma, why did you choose it over the other??

I normally ride a K1200RS, but recently got into small bikes when I bought a 1990 Honda NS50.....That 50 is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on, but I gave it to the fiance to ride.....Now I'm really itching for a scoot, but would like a few opinions to help make an informed decision...

Thanks yo!!!
  2. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    ask Ilmostro... he knows...

Ara
  3. donsolo

donsolo MasterOfLosingMaps

Oddometer:
    Didn't we cover this before?

And I think the Zuma's the smaller one.

But I love my Yammy
  4. 4SEVEN3

4SEVEN3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id get the Ruckus. That scoot is likda like the JEEP CJ of scoots. Sooooooooooooo many aftermarket things you can buy to make it unique!

www.battlescooter.com
    click on the forums for www.TotalRuckus.com
  5. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You've been to the mountain top of 50cc 2-strokes Rich! I had a NS50F for a few years and loved it. For some crazy reason I decided to sell it. I think my issue with it was the manual transmission not agreeing with the wife. I don't know now but it certainly seems like a bad move in hindsight. But I digress....

The Zuma is a nice fun ride. I haven't had mine offroad but I don't like the prospects. Lots of painted plastic. I think it's the Mall-SUV of the scooter community. The positives are that it's very popular so there are lots of bolt on mods and lots of information out there on them. The underseat storage is quite generous if you just want to run around town errands and maybe hop a curb once in awhile.

The Ruckus fad honestly puzzles me. It is the slowest of the scooter lot on road but it does look equiped, and built, to do well offroad. I guess if I lived on a farm or in a forest I'd be more interested.
  6. absent_carlo

absent_carlo n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2005 Zuma over the Ruckus. I loved the look of the Ruckus, but didn't have enough faith in the power of a 50cc 4-stroke and didn't think it was practical. Other issues were the lack of disc brakes and no lockable luggage. I'm always running errands on the Zuma so that being able to lock stuff up, including extra plugs, etc. was important.

I know there is a pretty big modding scene for both scooters, though one of the Ruckus mods is swapping a Zuma motor. You can pretty much rip the whole scooter apart with a phillips screwdriver, 2 hexes, and a 10 mil.

I've done my fair share of urban adventure riding with the Zuma and it's held up well on dirt, railroad beds, etc. My girlfriend also crashed it once and it was laying in the middle of the street, still running. I like to see how much I can carry on the Zuma--I've done cases of beer, lumber and my favorite, 100 lbs of bagged top soil.

I've taken it out a few times in the snow and am going to try riding through the winter on it (I need to learn to use the rear brake again).
  7. 4seven4

4seven4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    go ride the 125 zuma
  8. Stickler

Stickler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    X2

I believe either 50cc will leave you wanting more.
  9. ritchj

ritchj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about the best of both worlds - 'large' displacement 2 stroke?

Genuine Rattler 110 - great warranty, great performance (add the performance package/factory kit to get more suds) and at $2600 or so not a bad deal...

[​IMG]
  10. atomic frog

atomic frog pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer:
    Zuma.....Zuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmaaaaa....ZU...ZU...ZU..MA!!

and yes, I have ridden both...own the ZUMA
  11. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    I picked the Ruckus over the Zuma. Yes acceleration is noticeably slower, but top speeds are similar stock (42 or so mph). Both were fun rides, but the 2 stroke was a big turn off considering the pollution footprint and the better long term reliability of the Honda 4 stroke. Its a 50cc 4 stroke, so you're never going to be a hot rod without major modification. But it is simply fun to ride and not worry about faster speeds. Get a 125 or 150cc if you want speed, but stick to 50cc for fun.

The Zuma sort of blends in with other scooters, but the Ruckus stands out to everybody whether they know scooters or not. Prepare to get attention with one.

Check out totalruckus.com and you'll see the reason for the Ruckus cult following.
  12. Max Dongo

Max Dongo Coffee Achiever

Oddometer:
    When you want to, you can carry a passenger on the Zuma, and the Ruckus won't do any better offroad than the zuma either. With about $600 and the Parts Unlimited catalog, you can really make the Zuma scream.