Rugby World Cup 2019

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Wildman, Sep 20, 2018.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    An Italian astronaut will be watching Azzurri live against the Boks in four hours. Ain't technology marvelous. I hope it portends good things for the Boks. We know this is the game Italy will step up for in a massive way.
    Wildman likes this.
  2. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Thank god for that red card, we got the bonus point we needed. I'm not looking past Canada after Japan 2015. I hope they rest Cheslin Kolbe so his ankle can rest.

Weren't Italy supposed to go to 14 men once they didn't have an experienced tighthead on the field? I thought you went uncontested scrums but you also lost a man...
  3. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    C465F0DE-8740-4B11-AD69-FAF1F935109E.jpeg
    What about this then seeing we are talking about sending blokes off.

I forget, was the ref in this game the same chap the AB’s coach got in strife for wining C465F0DE-8740-4B11-AD69-FAF1F935109E.jpeg and dining a few years ago?

No wonder Hansen is asking people not to criticise refs. This is beyond a joke now
  5. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, don't lose a man, just uncontested scrums for safety reasons. Although you'd think one of the two loose heads would be capable of playing tight head. A lot of them play both.

Italy were probably lucky not to lose both players for that tackle though
  6. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    A red card destroys the game.

Surely there's a better way to deal with this?
  7. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    They've gone over the top on high tackles, there's no way that should have been a red card, the ball carrier fell into it, but what pisses me off is the inconsistency. Later in the game I saw a worse shot from one of the poms that wasn't even looked at. By then it was too late to have any impact on the game, but for consistency he should have been red carded and subsequently suspended.
  8. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't think it was worse, maybe a yellow card. Assuming we're referring to the same one.

Red cards have been blighting the game for several years. That said, concussion is a serious issue and if no contact with the head, without mitigating circumstances, is the law, then contact with the head, with force, is going to get punished. Can't think of any other way to persuade coaches to train players to tackle low.

Like me, you're probably in the, "Back in my day ...." camp, but then the game is consistently more ferocious now. The frequency and force of the hits when I was playing 1973-92, was nothing to compared to today.
  9. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not so much "back inmy day", more that I just think that if the attacker changes their height (falls, leans, ducks, etc) and cops one around the chin, then it probably shouldn't be a red, unless of course the height change wasn't significant and it was always going to be high.
  10. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    So you're saying the runner must remain upright in order for the tackler to not make a high tackle? That's absurd.

I've ducked under tackles and stopped and tried to change direction, which brought my head down, many a time. I shouldn't cop a possible concussion for trying to evade a defender. I've also been the unfortunate defender who's tackle was high because the ball carrier made a move to evade.

I think the way the law is written is fair; blow to the neck or head WITH FORCE is an automatic card. Mitigating factors may reduce the sanction. A few years ago the big thing was the neck roll. They policed the hell out of it and it lessened in occurrence. The high tackles will slowly reduce in number. If that dirty Argentinian lock (name escapes me right now, but's a filthy filthy player!) Tomas Lavanini can reduce his penalty count for high tackles, then any player can.

Edit; remembered name.
  11. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, they don't have to remain upright, but when they change the height of their head while someone is trying to make a tackle it should be taken into consideration.

If someone it trying to tackle you around the chest and you try to duck under it and cop one in the head. That's your fault, not the tackler's.
  12. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I wonder how many teams are practicing the "Owen Farrell Flop", you get a chance to milk a penalty and a card has a good chance of being displayed.
    Bleh likes this.
  13. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have noticed "simulation" creeping into Rugby lately.
    There were a couple of times in the Championship where I thought there was a sniper in the crowd.
    At least one Argie and a couple of Jaapies seemed to be looking for Oscar nominations...
  14. neanderthal

Oddometer:

It is taken into consideration inasmuch as, if contact to the head or neck is made, with force, that's an infraction deserving of a card. An offensive player has as much right to try and evade a tackle as a defender has to try and make a legal tackle.
  15. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, but the ball carrier has to take some responsibility for being tackled safely.

In cricket, a bouncer is a ball that's over shoulder height in a standing position. If the batsman tries to duck under a waist high ball and gets hit in the head, that doesn't make it a bouncer.

Same should apply. If the tackle was going to be a good height, but the last instant the carrier ducks, falls, etc. That shouldn't be classed as high, regardless of how hard the contact.
  16. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    And if that batsman gets hit in the head while ducking, he still has the same chance of getting concussed as if he stood still and the ball hit him on the head.
    Player welfare doesn't seem to be your strong suit.
  17. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the chance of getting concussed when hit is the same, but it's not the bowlers fault.

Player welfare is important, but common sense must prevail. If the ball carrier trips and smashes his head on the defenders knee and gets concussed, it's not the defenders fault. If the tackler gets their head in the wrong spot and gets concussed it's not the ball carrier's fault, and if the carrier tries to duck under a tackle and gets hit in the head it's not the tacklers fault. It doesn't make the injury less bad, but you can't punish someone just because of the result.
  18. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ummm. Isint that an instant red card these days, see the Owen Farrell Flop photos.
    Isnt that what happened there??
  19. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's what we're talking about. I don't think it should have been a red. If that's what the rules say has to be a red, they've gone too far, in my opinion.
  20. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...s/news-story/a21ac7e2562531a4aa8745c1e6ae7a15

Refs letting All Blacks cheat

“If there is a rugby Heaven and Hell, Richie McCaw, who lifted two World Cups, will probably be sitting at the right hand of God whereas in the real world he should be down in the bowels of Hell with demons sticking hot pokers up his arse and Martin Johnson for company.

“They cheat, they cheat, and they cheat! And they are let away with it time after time!”
    :brow