Rugby World Cup 2019

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Wildman, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suppose this makes a change from the whining coming from the Australian Coach.
    :baby

Neil Francis is the same paragon of virtue who claimed in 2014 that “gay people do not have any interest in sport” and that “only a tiny percentage are actively involved in professional sports of any kind".
    :topes

He'll just have to take solace in his World Cup winners medal.....no, wait...:flip
  2. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Typhoon threatening to knock Scotland out if it disrupts the match against Japan.
  3. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was listening to local sport radio. They were discussing what happens if games are cancelled and both get points for a draw.
    In the end I was probably more confused.
    Seems 3 in pool a are level, so it comes down to points differential.

Announcements in about 4hrs 45 time.

Maybe the AB's game against the Eyeties affected and recorded as a draw. Haha.
  4. Oscar

Oddometer:
    All Blacks v Italy & England v France definitely cancelled.

Japan v Scotland probably still going ahead.
  5. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I fixed that mess for you.
  6. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    You didn't fix shit. You may as well say you can only tackle below the waist, and then hope like hell someone doesn't bump their head or you'll get red carded.
  7. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Neil Francis is a bitter cock of an individual.
    He isn't well liked here in Ireland either with his stupid articles and lazy journalism.
  8. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    From your posts it seems like you don't care much about player welfare or player safety. Noted.
  9. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    I wonder why they couldn't fly the teams to Hong Kong, have them play, fly back, then carry on. All teams will have experienced the same travel issues. But the fans who have tickets would be the ones getting the shaft.
  10. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Himm.

I think a few should stop and and consider what the ramifications of what may and is likely to occur in the immediate future in that area of the world.

Super Typhoon Hagibis is a Category 5 Hurricane.
    Not just a small tropical depression.

Possibly the fact that there is a very real possibility of widespread damage to infrastructure and buildings, loss of lives and total chaos in those effected areas.

For those who need reminding what this could mean I stole this off the net:

For comparison, the recent typhoon Faxai, which hit Tokyo Bay in September, killed three people, cut power for over a million and caused an estimated $300 billion yen ($4.5 billion NZD) in damage. Some homes are still without power a month later. As it is currently tracking, Hagibis is a larger storm than Faxai.

Last year, Typhoon Jebi hit the Kansai region of Japan, leaving 11 dead and 600 injured, making it the worst typhoon to ever hit the country.

Typhoon Lekima, in July, was the deadliest typhoon of the year so far, causing 90 fatalities across the Philippines, China, Taiwan, and Malaysia.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the government will do the utmost for the people's safety, and urged residents near the typhoon route to take precautions early.

Local offices in Chiba city have started distributing free sandbags to shield against flooding.

The city also cautioned against power outages from potential typhoon damage and urged residents to make sure they have enough food, water and their phones are charged.

#Hagibis still classed as a violent typhoon. Sustained windspeed of 198 km/h and central pressure of 915 hPa. Forecast to weaken before landfall in #Japan but will have big impacts, eg on #RWC2019 https://t.co/UfiKXu36df pic.twitter.com/DHdexKlQRv

— WMO | OMM (@WMO) October 9, 2019
    In Chofu in Tokyo's western suburbs, workers at the city hall renovation site reinforced scaffolding and placed protective nets to prevent equipment and construction materials from being blown off.

East Japan Railway Co. said it may suspend services on most local lines and bullet trains around Tokyo before the typhoon arrives.

hag 1570732852570.jpg

Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways said they may ground flights as early as Friday depending on the typhoon's movement.
  11. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I didn't even remotely get that from his posts. All he is saying is, if the tackler starts to make an entirely legal tackle and, for WHATEVER reason, the person with the ball ducks down/slips/whatever and the tackler makes contact with the ball-carrier's head, the tackler is not to blame. I kinda agree to be honest.

Much as it pains me to stick up for an Argie, that guy can feel a little hard done by - he at least was trying to wrap the arms. I think a yellow would have been a better outcome - Farrell dips down (he almost appears to slip that causes him to lean backwards and thus, he went lower).
    Bleh likes this.
  12. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Can't believe I'm doing this...first sticking up for an Argie and NOW the Jocks !!! They need to find a way for Scotland to play Japan - it's scandalous that they didn't have plans in place to cope with a fairly common weather event in that part of the world at this time of year. Of course, part of me saying that is there is a good chance, Japan may whup the sweaties :D While that may be true, they MUST find a way to get that game played.
  13. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    But the ball carrier is NOT required to be upright for an impending tackle. They may duck/ weave/ bob/ sidestep as they wish. They have every right to evade the tackle in almost any way they can. The onus is on the tackler to make a safe and legal tackle.

Same thing as contesting a kick; the onus is on the lower player (lets call them the contestant) to make sure that the higher player (lets call them the catcher, as they're more likely to catch the ball) gets down safely, even if their original intent was to go after the ball. Once there is contact in the air the outcome of the catchers landing determines the contestants sanction, if any. Regardless of the contestants original intent, where they were looking the entire time, etc.

I was rear ended in February while waiting to make a controlled left turn. Driver looked at their phone, drifted from the straight ahead lanes to the turning lanes and smashed into me. (Wrote off my bike, fucked me up quite badly, but i'm alive, i'm ambulatory, i'm whole.) I'm sure they didn't mean to injure or harm me, but ... they did. The outcome is the same as if they intended to smash into me.
  14. neanderthal

Oddometer:

I didn't realise it was that big.

I still think it's possible to fly the four/ six teams to a safer venue and play the games. Otherwise this World Cup result might have an asterisk next to it.
  15. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the ball carrier is not entitles to do whatever he can do to evade the tackle. I just think the referee needs to take into account the ball carriers actions when reviewing any subsequent tackles, that's all. If you are carrying ball and see a tackle coming and the tackler starts to make an entirely legal tackle, and you dip down such that, say, you lead with the head and the tackler hits your head in the tackle, should that be treated as a red card offense ? I don't think it should. Penalty ? Probably. I don't think the comparison to catching a high ball is valid - that is 100% cut and dry. No hitting the catcher until his feet are on the ground. Not like the catcher can defy gravity and as he is coming down pop back up again.

It's a difficult situation for sure - I think we all like to see big, legal, hits but for me personally, I don't want to see anyone get injured from an illegal tackle.
  16. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    But they do take that into consideration, we've seen it this past week, contact with force to the head or neck sanctioned with a yellow card rather than red. And in the referees talk with the television match official you can clearly hear them considering the ball carrier "dipping."
  17. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not sure that a Cat 5 Super Typhoon qualifies as a fairly common weather event.
  18. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Player welfare is important, but there's a difference between a careless/dangerous high tackle and a legal tackle that suddenly becomes high because of the actions of the ball carrier and they should not be met with the same punishment.
  19. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clearly they don't always take it into consideration, because Farrell clearly changed his height and the argie still got a red card 17 minutes into the game and made the result a foregone conclusion and ruined the game. He also got 4 weeks for it.

Maybe if he was a pom he would have only got a penalty or a yellow, but we are seeing massive inconsistency in this area.

Just like Kerevi getting penalized for a dangerous ball carry was a joke. It was a shit tackle, nothing more, nothing less. The week before Hodge got 3 weeks for a near identical tackle, the only difference was Kerevi got a forearm (quite legally) to Patchell's chest, which slid up to his neck when he bounced off, where Hodge and Yato (who also lead with his forearm and sent the tackler flying) had an accidental head clash.
  20. Oscar

Oddometer:

It wasn't a shit tackle, it was a dangerous carry.
    You can't fend with an elbow to the throat, any more than you can fend with a fist.
    Like the tackles that have been carded, he should know that anything above the "nipple line" is asking for trouble.
    neanderthal likes this.