1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rugged phones to use for gps on bikes.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rossguzzi, Aug 15, 2020.

1. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    So I am starting to look for a decent phone to also use as a gps on the bike. I have herd of Blackveiw, but have also herd of reliability issues with them.
    Samsung has a ruggerised version but I dont think they sold them in OZ. Could I import one and use it here ?
    I believe the standard connection into a phone is a weak point on corrugations.
    Any first hand experience appreciated.
    Cheers.

My HTC M8 is about to die.
  2. cascade63

cascade63 Gone.

Oddometer:
  3. BLU_FZ1

BLU_FZ1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been using a Samsung Note 5 since 2015, have gone through many cables but the phone socket is fine, mounted to an X-Grip.
  4. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    There is an x-grip mount with a wireless charger built in. This could be the answer?

I gave up and bought a garmin.

The s7 phone was good, except for charging issues and over-temperature shutdowns.
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    There are a few more Ip-rated phones on the market nowadays.

Try googling Ulefone Armor, some of them have stonking battery life too, shockproof, waterproof, dustproof, rated to stupid temperatures and suchlike. I've got one with a 10,000 mah battery, off-grid mapping installed, and I've been looking for a decent mount for it.

If you don't intend to use it for a phone, ever, you save many bucks by buying non-4G phones too, 'cos all they need is the GPS chip and receiver for navigation. Just be sure check the specs prior to hitting "buy".

Here's a linky so you can get an idea (a good price too btw).
    https://au.banggood.com/Ulefone-Arm...80643.html?ID=62878306246445&cur_warehouse=HK
    Big Willy and Suncoaster like this.
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Best I used was a Garmin Asus Nuvi phone. Was a Garmin GPS with a phone built in to it. Still going strong with my son using it after 9 years on bikes. Don't know if they still make them or not.
  7. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
  8. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
  9. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    Yeah it does look that way, that’s pretty disappointing if correct.
    I’ve got the car version in my Ute and it really is very good, it’s not cheap either but I got sick of stuffing around with cheap mounts that don’t work.
    The wireless charging is faultless and the mount never falls off the windscreen regardless of the weather.

On a second look it appears to be a USB C port which is a step up from micro USB, and it’s IP66 rated.
    Woody2627 likes this.
  10. Doka404

Doka404 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you could also look at the Sonim XP8. They are considered an ultra rugged phone and you can get them in Aus. i had one years ago before smartphones were a thing and it was pretty indestructible
  11. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    GodSilla likes this.
  12. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    As posted above. Maybe just get a gps. My old garmin runs both plug in power and batteries.
  14. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  15. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Got an S7. I don't think it is all that 'water resistant'. And I'm not going to test it to see. So I got a 'Lifeproof' case for it. Advantage: I can test it without the phone in it to see if it is water tight. Fist time I tested it .. I did not have it done up correctly. tested for 3 hours (they advise 30 minutes) .. no water in it. Makes using the headphone port difficult, charging port is good.

For the microusb port I got a magnetic coupled cable that has a small fitting to the microusb port that fits inside the lifeproof case, saves some ware on the microusb port.
  16. WesternND

WesternND n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the reliability of the Blackview phones. My first one (BV6000S) lasted 18 months then totally died. My second one (current one - BV5500) is having problems with the GPS and it's only 5 months old. Currently seeing how good the warranty is.
  17. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeepers, I have an S7 and after the screen smashing from a 2 foot drop onto carpet it's the last phone I'd mount to a bike regardless of whichever protection you use. Mine now has a screen protector, sits in a gel cover and inside a Nite Ize clip case and it goes nowhere near a motorcycle.
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another option is to leave your phone in your pack, and go with the new Garmin Montana 700 series

This has a vastly better screen than previously (although I love my old Montana) - but also includes InReach capability - satellite-based messaging etc, as well as EPIRB

Very impressive unit

19. Olythom

Olythom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]I posted a story in a different phone v gps thread and thought this would be a good place to share a short version.

I accidentally ran over my Kyocera Duraforce Pro phone in an asphalt parking lot with the front tire of our Scion Xb and it survived - 100%. Those are tire tread marks across the face of the phone! They wiped cleanly off the glass and left no marks at all.

I use mine with preloaded maps (no SIM card - WiFi only). Battery life is very good. Display has not let me down. I bought it used for (IIRC) less than $150.
    >T
    GodSilla and seancampbell like this.
  20. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    It would appear I’ve been mislead:
    https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...leading-phone-water-resistance-advertisements
    GodSilla likes this.