Rugged phones to use for gps on bikes.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rossguzzi, Aug 15, 2020.

1. AusTMan

AusTMan apprentice old fart

Oddometer:
    That looks ok and in my price range, but what's with the screw? Is it broken? Looks like just the thing to spear into your leg.
  2. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a Galaxy S8 fitted with the quad lock mounted to the wireless charger, 2 bikes and 2 cars are fitted with the charger, so it is so easy to transfer the phone to whatever vehicle I need, with no issues of wet or broken charging cables. As the S8 is a less complex than the newer models it does not have issues with the image stabilisation that the new phones have after being subjected to vibration...5 years and still going strong.
    Mapping I have the HEMA maps.
  3. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    20210712_173550.jpg 20210613_155640.jpg
    First pic is with lazer 7" tablet with gps. Second pic is with shorter zip ties for my phone. I can take some go pro footage of it in single track today if I remember to angle the camera down to get it in view while riding. I have a Hondo perfect squeeze and a ram mount that I dont bother with any more as I prefer phone or tablet sitting flush on the bar pad rather sitting off the bars on a mount. Used it riding in Glasshouse mountains tracks and phone stayed in place "like a bought one."
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It's just the tail end of the plastic bit with the thread ridges is all, flexible and well out of the way. It won't hurt you at all, you'd have to poke it into your own eye to do that.
  5. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    I love simple ideas. Looks good.
    Cuttlefish likes this.
  6. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    another velcro user.
    i used to run a phone on velcro on a steel bit of strap.
    Was fine on dirt. Except it would vibrate a bit, being cantilevered.

Then another set up, i just used velcro on a triple tree.
    Not a great phone angle or adjustable, but i only use gps to know where i am, not the details of turns on a track.

There is some really good quality velcro out there, main problem is the glue giving away in heat.
    I didn’t even bother with cable ties.
    For the first few rides i was paranoid it would give way, but eventually you just realise it works.
    I guess if you got it caught on something, like yourself, as you fell off the bike it may dislodge.

I’ve since swapped to quadlock for ease across 3 bikes, as i couldn’t find a big enough flat surface to mate on all bikes.

The above post set up with cable ties would be rock solid i’d say.
    I’d probably use those skinny, long velcro wraps as cable ties.
    On a bar pad it would be good for vibration as well on an expensive phone.
    Might steel that idea if i go back to velcro.

92CB3F83-B973-4EDA-A67D-906B6FFA376B.jpeg

05247A01-8BC6-4CFC-9E7F-3FAB7CD53522.jpeg
    Cuttlefish likes this.
  7. AusTMan

Oddometer:
    That sounds like something that I would do.:fpalm
    GodSilla likes this.
  8. AusTMan

Oddometer:
    I do like the idea of the quadlock but I don't know how well it would stick to the back of the X8 with it's rubbery, textured back.:hmmmmm
  9. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    i’ve found the multi pad thing is super sticky but one time glue use only.
    So i’ve also reused them with velcro and then stuck velcro on the back of the phone, when i changed a phone and also wanted a velcro mount on one bike - mounted flat off a home made nav tower - and a quadlock mount on the others off cross bars if that make sense.

D917BC0E-CE4B-47D4-9EAE-37E39B7E7928.jpeg

BE7832B4-CD55-4B15-9509-3E081700562D.jpeg
    Then i bought a quadlock mount for all my bikes and a dedicated quadlock case for my main contact phone and use my gps phone with the velcro pad mount attached to it. That way if i go for a decent ride i have those two phones and a sat phone as well. I often forget to remove my gps phone when i pull up, so one day it’s gonna be gone when i get back to the bike after lunch or a stop. Best to have options.

I killed a phone once from heat on multiple 40 plus days in the top of WA and NT.
    I sort of see the pad better for heat dissipation of the phone over a fully enclosed quadlock case in super hot temps.

i dont think my post is very clear, hope it makes sense.

BCDD05D5-3298-4C4F-A8C2-C4F7E836A912.jpeg

BA85E32D-6F39-4D84-B74A-608FD8509085.jpeg
    AusTMan likes this.
  10. AusTMan

Oddometer:
    Yeah makes sense, might be ok.
    What's the back of your phone like, hard smooth plastic or softer plastic.

I think the battery's charged on the harley. I put the charger on my 700 today, haven't ridden it since Jan or Feb.:(
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  11. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    tried to get a pic of surfaces.

Bit of a mix.
    I didnt think the pad would stick to the rubber / silicone type case over the phone but it did.
    Thats a non waterproof phone and with orientation it needed the case to cover the buttons to stop water possibly getting in.
    The phone is openly exposed on the DR and harley to wind and rain.
    Never had a quadlock mount fail, undo or twist in wind, rain, dirt or rough tracks.
    Never had a pad or velcro unstick so i tend to stick to products that work for me.

harley lives in the charger unless i’m riding it.
    It’s had a bit of engine work and seems to eat batteries.
    I think the alarm has a parasitic drain as well, even when switched off.
    The battery fails like clockwork every 4 years.

6B7C35E7-AE4A-405C-9C84-BB2F496D1642.jpeg
    AusTMan likes this.
  12. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    thats a long, no ride spell.
    I feel your pain.

I get two weeks holiday a year in october, i’m a full time 24/7 carer for my mum.
    My respite break this year is probably gonna be cancelled due to covid and not being able to sort respite options.
    I’ll probably lose my shit around november i’d say.
    Lotta blokes will be doing the same i guess by then..
  13. AusTMan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.
    I'm on a farm and it's about 6k's to the back paddock so get to ride the 250 most days, the 450 most weekends for a lap around the block of about 80 k's, juuust to see what the neighbours are up to and the 700 gets a run further afield, which hasn't happened for a while.
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  14. stumps

stumps Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using a GUB B-86 mountain bike bar type mount...3 or so years and 40K km of 690 shak'n and yet to fail...with a Galaxy S5 with ruggedised outer case. When/if it does go I would go Quadlock.

upload_2021-8-22_21-59-1.png
  15. JohnD01

JohnD01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What nav app are you using on the Lazer Tablet. TIA.
  16. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    My Quadlock thingo stuck well to the rubbery/plastic protective case on my phone. They're good, don't hesitate!

Also, I broke my second Quadlock suction part trying to pull it off my windscreen and I got a new one sent straight away under warranty.

I stuck the flat plastic thing it comes with the 3M tape on it to my curved and rough textured dash, and that has stuck too no problem the last few months.
    AusTMan likes this.
  17. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    OSMand. Free app. I've upgraded to the paid version to get more features.
    JohnD01 likes this.
  18. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I rode on Saturday, phone battery at 80 percent, left the screen on, and got home with 74% after an hour and a half.
    I had the screen off and forgot to turn the device off.
    Fast-forward to today (Monday), opened the screen, mapping app still active, battery still at 73%.
    seancampbell and wass like this.
  19. UTB

UTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using OSMand since MotionX stopped working. It's way better on Android than IOS. Took a bit of a while to get with it but now I'm a fan. I particularly like the having the OSM map with the Bing satellite image underneath - so if you're somewhere with unmarked trails you can pick them out on the satelite (with a bit of luck). I was favouring Locus (once I found the hack for getting google base maps) but now I think OSMand may be better. Really like the idea of mounting the tablet - I got an 8" Lenovo tablet for $130- which is great but I haven't worked out a good way of mounting it yet and don't feel much like taking an online purchase gamble with universal mounts.
    Cuttlefish and GodSilla like this.
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    OSM is my go-to nav app also, it just works.