"Rumble" in Neutral with Clutch Out

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by M3apx, Sep 29, 2014.

1. M3apx

M3apx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Realized the other day that when the bike is in neutral ('14 f700) with the clutch out, there is a definite "rumble". Slight pressure on the clutch lever and it quiets right down. Maybe a noisy throw out bearing? Bike is new - only a little over 700 miles on it. Will be going in for the 600 mile service later this week. Will ask the dealer about it. I'm not too concerned. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this before. The bike is new to me, so.......it might be very common. Thanks.
  2. CoffeeTime

CoffeeTime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine does it too, '14 F800. I get a clicking like it is trying to grab first gear. When I squeeze the clutch in it "disengages" and it goes away. I don't even think I have 150miles on the bike I've been so damn tied down can't even ride.

I notice it doesn't always do it though, but 80% of the time its there.
    I'm going to try and run by the dealership tomorrow if I get time and see what they think.
  3. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure what my point is...:lol3

But.. If i put mine (70,000km) on the centre stand, in neutral and turn her on.. The back wheel goes around... Stops if ya jam ya boot on it.. That type of clutch i guess...

4. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also havea new 2014 and also hear it. Pull the clutch it stops.
    I then had listen to a mates 2014 Adventure. Same thing. Listened to a 2012, same thing and this seems to be normal with all of them as well as the first gear loud "Clunck".

Coming from a 2012 Vstrom 650 these sounds were all a bit unsettling at first but seems they are normal and it is more of a "dirtbike". I just hope the sounds are signs of an over engineered or engineers-with-redundancy and tolerance ... like an AK47... rather than non-robust sounds.

Also...I have a feeling the F800GS has a very light flywheel?
  5. M3apx

M3apx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I didn't think it was serious. Thanks.
  6. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    The 'rumble' at idle in neutral is slight play between the primary gear on the clutch basket and the gear it meshes with on the crankshaft. Normal. Mine has always done it. Pulling the clutch lever disconnects the transmission mainshaft from the clutch basket, thereby reducing the rotating mass being spun by this pair of gears, and changing the rpm at which this resonation would occur to some rpm other than normal idle rpm.

Rear wheel turning in neutral while on the centerstand is due to viscosity of the engine oil transmitting a small of amount of torque among all the rotating parts of the transmission to the transmission countershaft, thereby turning the wheel. Note that the wheel will stop turning if you pull the clutch lever. Again, very normal.
  7. M3apx

M3apx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very helpful info on why it rattles I neutral. Thanks.
  8. JRwhite

JRwhite n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this, have been hearing a ticking sound on my '13 F700GS from new and was starting to worry. Is there any adjustment that can be made to prevent it from happening with the clutch out at idle?
  9. OKstripe

OKstripe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if this would affect your specific situation (it might!), but Reaver posted a tutorial in parallel universe by the above title. Very informative.