Run what you brung hack build

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by redfishguide, May 23, 2014.

1. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming from you a thumbs up is really appreciated. Been following your thread for a long time.

Just can't figure out how to get a couple of those little guys to work in my shop. Round here at the mention of real work the little bastards go deep underground. Don't know how you do it. :norton

Hey Dan,

The oxy/accet course I took was a major help. I already owned a couple of welders but was really clueless. Learning to weld with a torch really taught me about the puddle. To me welding is 90% controlling and manipulating the puddle. Mig and Tig are basically electric torches.

I can't begin to calculate the amount of time I spent practicing and welding up bed frame pieces to make things around the shop. :deal

Having said all that I am far from expert and usually do a practice weld before most projects. I still suck at out of position welds and my aluminium skills seem to go up and down as much as the stock market. :rofl At least I know I am getting better all the time. However you will notice that every weld on the sidecar frame and mounts was braced or gusseted for extra strength.

Jack
  2. Ol'NumNuts

Ol'NumNuts A Bloke and his Akita- Flynn

Oddometer:
    Great little video...

I keep telling my missus I want to get a sidecar.... For her....

But between you and me... It's really for the dog...

You get what I'm about... Right!

Attached Files:

3. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr. Nuts,

You bet I get it. Buck has camped and fished with me since he was a small pup. Only time he would complain is if I don't take him.

You need to just do it! My spouse and daughter absolutely love the Hack even though its intended for canine use only. :deal

Yeah I get it; the SHORTS not so much!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

4. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    You can be more than proud of your accomplishment.

I generally get them drunk and threaten to hide their clothes. Crude, but it seems to work for me.

5. kshansen

kshansen kshansen

Oddometer:
    Redfish,

Any chance of getting some advice on the upholstery job on the bike? My XS650 outfit seat is in need of some of your handy work.:lol3 Actually I went for the more classic style on mine with old school silver duct tape!

Some day when I think I'm ready for the insults I just may post some pictures of my 650 outfit! Right now it does not look too good, rained a little the last time it was parked outside at work so some of the patina has been washed away, at least the rust is still holding up good, "rust never rests"
  6. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Hey Ken,

Just for you. :evil My learned advice is don't use electrical tape. :mad? I have since done a major upgrade to the latest and greatest (new school baby) black gorilla tape.

[​IMG]

Works great. Of course I haven't really sat on it yet. :deal

However truth be told I have a "guy". I made a solo seat pan for my sportster and he finished it. Love the job and at a fair price too.

Now that I seem to have sorted out some of the pain in the butt problems that have a way of cropping up in a build I hope to pay him a visit in the next week or so. Either have this seat redone or maybe fit a dirt bike seat I have laying around. We'll see.

Jack
  7. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Come on Ken post that picture. Put it right up here in my thread so I have something to shoot for.

8. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    I did however do some work on the car today. Mounted a second Odyssey battery in my storage box and created sort of a false floor so I can put junk ah
    make that tools and camping gear on top.

My winch will fit right along side the battery, as will a small dc air compressor and maybe a small air tank. Might even be able to fit a marine two battery charger.
    The battery is fully mounted in rubber ah make that old heavy duty tubes neatly cut up. Remember this is the run what ya brung thread!

Access is fairly easy, remove said junk ah make that tools and camping gear, then loosen 5 thumb screws and voila floor is removed. And no the battery is not wired in yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes I will seal up that gaping how where the upper rear mount comes in.

Jack
  9. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Hey Ken where did you go? XS 650 dudes are a rare commodity we need to stick together. :freaky Come pay us a visit.

Jack
  10. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Impressive, especially for a 1st effort. Good to know us old dogs can learn new tricks.:clap:clap Now I just have to find time to get in a welding class, refresh my skills, so I can do mine.

I may cheat and buy a frame from Jay, but the rest will be all me, I put in way too many hours,and would NEVER get finished without the kit.

I'm already debating how to build the car, which bike to do,etc.:huh

I have a non running 82 CB750F/SS and an 06 Guzzi Breva 1100 to choose from.

I'm leaning toward the 750, as the Guzzi is my DD, if I do the 750 it'll be more like a scrambler/ds type of rig. I've been going round and round on this in my head for awhile now, based on the 750.

Seeing you do it gives me confidence that I'll be fine.:wink::wink:

I hope you and Buck enjoy the rig. Stay safe.:D:D:D
  11. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Hey Slowpoke,

My old stomping grounds were in south Jersey. Fishing the coast and riding in the Pine Barrens. Managed to break 3 ribs doing one of the Pine Barrens 500 a few years back. :eek1 :muutt Would love to hit some of those sand roads with my rig.

Buck and I have just started pushing our limits on some local sand roads. He is definitely enjoying it. Video soon.

I like the the Honda 750's a lot, plus it makes it a lot easier to dedicate a bike to tug duty, especially one you have to build up.

I would definitely pay Claude at CSM a visit before you get started. Your nice and close. I would bet that you will leave there with a whole new prospective.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jack

12. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    "Managed to break 3 ribs doing one of the Pine Barrens 500 a few years back." :eek1 :muutt

...that was a bad bad day :evil
  13. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Well Ray you can say that again!!!!!!!! I've managed to bust a number of bones during my not to illustrious riding career. Collar bone was nasty but nothing like those three ribs. Broken and separated near the spine and I can still feel it today several years later.

Hope you survived snow magedden!!!!

Jack

14. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Oh I did forget to mention I was in front of you at the time :deal

Jack

15. rw4x4van

Oddometer:
    ...snow was a joke

a good General always sends his scout up ahead :lol3
  16. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :rofl

great excuse, I'll have to use that some time
  17. slowpoke69

Oddometer:
    Still beats the crap outta work though!:lol3:lol3
  18. rw4x4van

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  19. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    I dunno about you but I will take a day's work over 3 busted ribs any time!!! I'm sure age is a factor but I've busted ribs on three different ocaisions The last three (ribs) being the worst. I'm hoping I never do that again. :p3rry:2cry

My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Jack

20. slowpoke69

Oddometer:
    Did you list frame dimensions and I missed them? You've got me inspired to hack my CB 750 F/SS, but I'm not sure of how big or small. I guess I better start measuring and doing the math to see what I come up with.:huh

I like the swingarm suspension, does it work well?

I'm going to go for what you intended to, kind of bare bones, but I'll probably end up about the same place you did.:lol3:lol3

Anything you suggest I avoid, or include, based on your luck so far?:ear

Thanks for your ideas, stay safe.