Run what you brung hack build

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by redfishguide, May 23, 2014.

1. kshansen

kshansen kshansen

Oddometer:
    Ok, Jack how about these beauty shots?

I believe this outfit has been together since 1998, in 2000 it was t-boned by an Isuzu. Bent the lower struts , the swing arm off the sidecar and busted sidecar wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Slowpoke,

If you take a look at page one or maybe two you can see where I build a wooden mock up of the frame. This gave me a real good idea about the final dimensions. I had been advised to make the over all width at least 48 inches and too keep the wheel lead at about 10 inches. I made the frame to match the bike. Used the back of the front wheel and the axle of the rear wheel to establish length. I made the pinch blocks fairly large which gives me quite a bit of adjustability. I tried to center the attachments to get close to my dimensions while allowing maximum adjustability in either direction. I also wanted to maintain kick start capability so had to allow for that. Might have made the frame a little shorter but as noted I never planned on a full body so wanted the platform to be big enough.

I would recommend the wooden mock up as I learned a lot from that.

I used the swing arm suspension because I had all the components lying around my shop and a factory DR 650 in house to copy geometry.

I could not be happier with the swing arm set up. It works extremely well especially in the rough stuff. Started with a DR 350 spring which worked well but was too light once I started to add some weight. Right now I'm running a stock DR 650 spring which is working well. Also have a heavier spring which might come in handy when the hack is fully loaded.

Once I got the set up close I am able to make final adjustments by adding preload to the spring. This raises the side car slightly and adds a bit of lean out. Worked great to achieve neutral steering on most roads depending on road crown. Very easy to adjust on the road with a small spanner. I can also make minor adjustments at the swing arm for wheel lead and toe in using the chain adjuster.

I wish the bikes suspension was as good. On rough roads I find myself keeping the bike in the smoother areas and letting the car take the worst of it.

Couldn't be happier.

Yeah the body build took on a mind of its own but am satisfied with the results.

If I knew I would enjoy the side car experience so much I might have started with a bigger bike. But as stated earlier the theme of this build was to use what I had lying around. I think your Honda 750 would work great.

And finally I am considering some front end mods to reduce trail. Don't yet know where that will wind up.

Down the road I could see a bigger bike and a Leading link front end in my future.

Jack

3. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Hey Ken,

Thanks for posting looks good :clap I'm all about the patina! I'm telling ya a little bit of "new school baby" black Gorilla tape and it will look brand new.

If my rig turns 40,000 miles and looks like yours I will be more then happy.

Btw what will she do for a comfortable cruising speed and a top speed?

Thanks,
    Jack

4. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Two short vids of Buck and me doing a little rough riding. We had too pick a sunny section of this road to get a decent video. Road has pot holes big enough to swallow a truck!! :huh :huh but they only show at the beginning and endings of the vids.

By the time we finished the fifth video Buck was getting bored and was ready to catch some zzz's. He really seemed to enjoy the rough stuff but was waiting for a new stretch of road.

Side car suspension works great not so much for the bike. As long as I let the side car handle the rough stuff all was well.

Though I did manage to to break a couple of hack fender mounts for the third time. I will have to address this!! :eek1 :deal

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SoeyN4L5NrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SoeyN4L5NrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jack
  5. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Sorry managed to mix up videos and can't figure how to edit so the second vid is here.

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6uuA_PZ3pDw" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  6. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    All a bit different from your first tentative laps of your driveway.

Good to see you are having fun :thumb

Don't stress it too much. I've managed to snap a mount. Had to be somewhere and didn't have time to weld the supports gussets on, before leaving. Road conditions saw to it that I addressed that :lol3

[​IMG]
  7. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Fr700,

Just curious. I'm guessing your fender is mounted to the frame somehow. I have mine mounted to the swing arm so is moving with the suspension. Trying to figure a way to mount it to the swing arm so it will stay attached. Not having great luck so far. :cry

Jack

8. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

G'day Jack.

Mine are swingarm mounted. If you're swapping between bodies/cargo box it just makes it easier.

I use 3/4 tube for the supports. On that occasion I didn't have time to add the gusset on the longer of the two.

You can see the rear one here on the Gus Bus. 3/4 tube combined with 3/8th flat drilled and tapped to accept the mounting bolts for the guard. You can just make out more of it in the reflection behind the tyre. The front one is usually located in the 10 - 11 o'clock position and is much shorter due to coming off the shock tower ( generally about 6" long).

[​IMG]

Just had a quick hunt for pic's. Here you can see more from the inside view. This is just one variation depending on how the swingarm and suspension is fab'ed. You'll note that the rear 3/4 tube doesn't have a gusset at this stage. From memory I bent up a second tube that sat below to add support. This is on another sidecar, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]
  9. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    FR700

Ah yes why doesn't one just think once in awhile? :norton I am not a total idiot though some may disagree. :huh My whole approach to mounting the fender was to use as many existing holes brackets and what not. Also keep in mind the swing arm is aluminium. The fine folks from Japan never quite envisioned what I would do to their well designed swing arm.

Seems the only bracket on the swing arm that has not failed to date is the one I welded on for the brake (future) stay.

At this point all support pieces are mounted between swing arm and fender from about mid ships and forward to the front of the swing arm. Thus the rear fender half is entirely unsupported. Consider the weight of the tail light and the fact that I have two fenders welded together to form a single complete fender The back half is just flying around stressing all the great forward mounts I was so proud of. Btw I am using 3/4 or may be 1 inch stainless tubing for the fender mounts. I'll try and get a photo up tomorrow.

I suspect all I need to do is make a hoop like you did to support the rear of the fender as you pictured and dang the front brackets will no longer be stressed to the point of failure (three times).:baldy:baldy And "Bob's your uncle" or some such from the "Land down under".

Btw who the hell is Bob any way and who's uncle is he? Maybe he is related to one of those little guys. Damn I wish I could trap a couple of them.

As usual common sense prevails well er maybe not in my case but I do see's the light.

Thanks much. Will post up when I get to it and soon I hope cause me a Buck ain't going any where right now.

Jack

10. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  11. kshansen

kshansen kshansen

Oddometer:
    As I only use this outfit to get to work and back home and commute is all of one mile! Not sure about cruising speed. But in that short run have seen 70 mph on a day when there isn't snow or ice on the road to limit traction! It is a bit weak on the take-off but that could be because it lost first gear over a year ago! Could use a bit more ground clearance when snow gets over six inches it has a problem getting traction .
  12. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Okay, Okay I know its been quite awhile but Buck and I have actually been busy. I will get to some build posts in the next couple of days. Any how a couple of pics from the recent Memorial day parade.

Oh and before the ATGATT Nazi's come calling the parade was long SLOW and HOT. I ditched my helmet and Buck his Doggles. I know he appears to be squinting but the camera just happened to catch that as he was fine the entire way. Me not so much. Heavy duty clutch springs and an extra plate totally wore out my left hand.

Getting ready to leave the house.

[​IMG]

Down town Beaufort South Carolina.

[​IMG]

More to come
    Kingsqueak likes this.
  13. rw4x4van

Oddometer:

....be careful Jack ....just saying

Attached Files:

14. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    :huh:dunno:dunno Ahh think I missed something in the translation
  15. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the jungle. South Carolina in the summer time =s jungle and Banana SPIDERS. Neither Buck nor I like Banana Spiders but we will survive.

[​IMG]
  16. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Okay back to some build action. New shoes. Baby loves new shoes. Duro tires for the rear MC and the SC.
    [​IMG]

Way better then the old shoes!

[​IMG]

However all is not well. To be continued.

Jack
  17. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Bummer.

:clap

I do like XS650's :nod

18. rw4x4van

Oddometer:
    "Heavy duty clutch springs and an extra plate totally wore out my left hand"

When I raced my 360,.. I thought I needed heavier clutch springs so I went in the parts bin and found some HD clutch springs ..... I don't remember what springs they were, but that's how my arms felt after riding.......til I took them out:lol3
  19. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Okay I get it now. :deal

Clutch pull doesn't bother me during normal riding however during the Parade it was STOP and GO the entire route with plenty of clutch action. I am working on reducing the pull some what.

Except for the launch I don't remember using the clutch at all racing my 1972 dt2 mx. Maybe that's why I was quicker. :rofl :rofl :rofl

20. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    FR 700

Nothing really bad just extremely aggravating. Yesterday I yanked the third bad Stator and second fried Odyssee battery in less then 1500 miles. Working with the supplier to get this resolved but it is still aggravating. Pretty much have everything else sorted. We're getting there.

Really looking forward to the first real camping trip.