Runnin' Home - Tierra Del Fuego to Oregon!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SunnySideUp, Feb 21, 2009.

1. SunnySideUp

SunnySideUp O hell, I'll do it!

Oddometer:
    That is precisely the goal first on my list for this race - FUN!! Everything else is second to that.:D
  2. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:
    Thank you RR! I'll send out a blast before the race. If anyone is around on the day, it'll be fun to have some support out there. ... but that's a long ways from now, still! I'll keep you posted - and keep an ey on my blog :deal!
  3. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I told Riley...as you can see, he listened intently.

[​IMG]

Then he said "good luck"...only it came out as "bark" "bark" or something like that.

Good luck Erica!
  4. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:
    I made my decision to blog about my Ironman training experience in large part due to what I experienced here on ADV and in this ride report.

I never could have imagined the all responses and the support that all of you gave me while traveling. I was traveling solo (for most of the way), but I never felt alone. I felt like I was sharing my journey with many dear friends. And my experiences on the road and months in the saddle feel so much richer because of sharing it here.

Training for an Ironman can be a very solo journey as well. Most of my friends won't understand why I have to do a 5 hour bike ride in crappy weather in February and chase it with a run. Or why I'm choosing to go to bed at 8pm on a Saturday night rather than go out.

I think I'm also looking (hoping) for the same kind of support I had here. There will be hard days. And there will be days when I want to quit. But, as friends do, they encourage you when you need it, they kick you in the ass when you need it, they hold you accountable when you need it.

So in the end, I guess I'm asking for all y'alls help.

Won't you come along for the ride?:norton

http://www.elysium-on-the-hill.blogspot.com/
  5. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :wave

Is the hot water hooked up outside? :D

I'm trying to look for a "Subscribe" button or some such on your blog. I guess I need to sign up to follow you there?

Crush might happen the last week of September. I'm aiming to be there.
  6. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    All the way at the bottom of the page there's "Subscribe: posts(atom)" click on it and you're good to go.
  7. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Got it... I'm a subscribe virgin no more.....
  8. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    I'm too lazy/busy to go chasing new threads so it would be appreciated if you could post a date and location here. Good luck!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  9. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So do I need to click on the link once in a while (I have it on my Links bar now) to see the updates or does the browser pop up a warning?
  10. WOXOF

WOXOF Just wander'n

Oddometer:
    Way to go Ercia :beer

Train hard and have fun doing the Triathlon.
    My cousin Betty raced triathlons. She had a blast.
    When she couldn't run Tri's anymore, she took up open water swimming.
  11. Patagonian Fox

Patagonian Fox nOOb, not any more

Oddometer:
    SSU, What you did is very brave, I find this RR four days a go and since that was only enjoy every single post. What I can sed all the mates in this forum all ready tell you.
    My respects to you and if ever think to come back to PAtagonia it'll a pleasure ride with you.

Cheers

Omar :clap :clap :clap :clap
  12. Moto One

Moto One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's See... You have ridden a mt bike down or up the Congenital Divide, then added a short trip up from the tip of South America (for the most part by your self) that's easy, but you also dealt with a few on the road challenges. Hummm... And you think that doing an Iron Man is going to really going to challenge you... Don't think so.

You'll have a blast, you'll develop a core of Tri-friends to train with on those long days. And Your ADV pals will be here too, when you need a boost.

Enjoy.

Mark.
  13. rcook52459

rcook52459 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    right now there is a big forest fire in mosier she's probably fighting that right now too.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Not sure what your background is as far as what sort of cycling/swimming/running training you have done in the past but it really is helpful to make sure you set aside a little time everyday just to stretch/get a massage. It will go a long way towards keeping the injuries at bay.

good luck
  15. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    But, that still leaves her with one hand to post with. :type
  16. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:
    Hi Omar,
    I'm glad you enjoyed reading about the ride. I feel so lucky having been able to do it. If there is any regret, it is that I didn't have enough time - but of course, there are no regrets! I would have loved to see more of Argentina and I hope some day to visit Buenos Aires, as I have heard many great things about it. I may go back to the Bariloche area as soon as this winter to do some climbing, but it will be without my motorcycle.

Wishing you all the best,
    Erica
  17. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mark. I like to keep exploring the limits and keeping life interesting. I think I'll always be looking forward to "what's next!" I appreciate the support... both over the last months and these coming ones.:D Sorry we missed each other on my way up.
  18. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:
    Actually I'm back-filling for those who are on it.

Perhaps like you, my background is in swimming. But I've been a runner and cyclist for years too. And yes, stretching/Yoga are a key part of my training. Vital to recovery and repair. That and NAPS!! Yes, naps. Afternoon naps become an essential part of my day when things ramp up! Massages, I will need to learn to treat myself to more often.:evil
  19. Moto One

Moto One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your Welcome SSU.

If you happen to come this way, drop a PM, and I'll expect a FD tour if I pass that way.

[​IMG]

When you start doing things like this... Need I say more...

Mark.
  20. Patagonian Fox

Patagonian Fox nOOb, not any more

Oddometer:

Thanks for your words, and I understand you are training for the ironman....sorry shut call IRONMAN AND WOMAN, we all know your strenght and caracter and that makes you a hard competidor.
    My best whish for you and GOD bless you

Omar