Runnin' Home - Tierra Del Fuego to Oregon!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SunnySideUp, Feb 21, 2009.

1. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Sunny

If you go to mi thread, you'll find out about my moving. I've been hired for an building addition to the American Embassy in Lima, plus possible teaching Architecture at an University in Lima. Big change for a Chilean/American after 23 years in the US.
    The plan is moving the house in March 2010 using a 20ft or 40ft container Miami-Callao Lima, the cost is not expensive and part of my ideas was ot invite riders to share the container. I have one guy firm an another 2 interested. So, the plan is great and moving along. I am also taking the bike with me.
    Since you did it in the same way with your friends, I would like to tell me your experience. Well I think was in Chile right? I remember. BUT,

Questions

1. How did you manage to tie the bikes with out crating, just strapped and doing a base crate?.
    2. How was the best way to upload the bike in USA. Renting a forklift?, doing at the shipping warehouse?
    3.Did you do a separate bill of landing for each bike, or you did the whole crew on one bill?. To save money?
    4.Did you do the paperwork yourself at Chile or did you use an agent?
    5. Was everybody at the time of unload the bikes at the port or you had a notarized power to do that?
    6.Any other suggestions, such preparedness for the bikes during the shipment?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511165

Appreciate your tips and nice to hear about you.

Gaston
    Miami
  2. GastonUSAChile

Oddometer:

That was very expensive. A container from Miami to Lima, is around $1500 today plus port soft costs.
    To buy a container in Miami is $1250 (20ft) and $1400 (40ft), that leave you place to sell it afterward or used again.

Gaston

3. SunnySideUp

SunnySideUp O hell, I'll do it!

Oddometer:
    Hi Gaston! Congrats on the new job in Lima. It sounds like an exciting time for you and your wife.

As far as shipping the bike, once we found a shipper, the process was relatively easy and mostly hands off. Basically, we prepared our documents with the agent in Portland, we were told to deliver the bikes to the port at a certain time, and from there we handed our bikes over to the longshoremen at the port. We were not able to load the bikes ourselves because it is a union job or something like that. But we were reassured many times that the bikes would be in good hands and well taken care of. We were given pictures to prove it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once in Chile, the process was the same. By the time we saw the bikes, they had been taken out of the container and were waiting for us on the dock. In our case, it took virtually all day to get the bikes in our possession.

[​IMG]

Questions

1. How did you manage to tie the bikes with out crating, just strapped and doing a base crate?.
    No crating, just wheeled right into the shipping container. Disconnect battery, and almost zero fuel in tank.
    2. How was the best way to upload the bike in USA. Renting a forklift?, doing at the shipping warehouse?
    We loaded the bikes on a trailer at home, drove them to the port and handed them over.
    3.Did you do a separate bill of landing for each bike, or you did the whole crew on one bill?. To save money?
    Yes, separate lading on each bike. I don't know if it would have saved money or not.
    4.Did you do the paperwork yourself at Chile or did you use an agent?
    We had an agent on the other side, but with fluent Spanish you may be able to do it yourself. It cost about $300 to get them out of customs in Chile. All told, it was about $1500 and 1 month in transit. I met a some guys who shipped their bikes from Australia and had not seen their bikes in 3 months!
    5. Was everybody at the time of unload the bikes at the port or you had a notarized power to do that?
    We were all there in Chile to pick up the bikes. I think this is best to keep things simple. I imagine they will be pretty stingy about handing over a bike to someone, notorized or not.
    6.Any other suggestions, such preparedness for the bikes during the shipment?
    Really, in hindsight, it was pretty simple. And with you being able to speak the language, I imagine it will be even simpler.

Gaston
    Miami[/QUOTE]
    I hope this is of some help to you. I wish you all the best in your new endeavor.
    Erica
  4. LumpyOne

LumpyOne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Erica-
    I stumbled on your thread and fell in love quickly. You are amazing and I had a great time following along, mostly from the edge of my seat. I know that you are going to put together a post on riding gear and what worked and what didn't, but can you post approx. what you spent on a trip of this magnitude? I want plan a trip like this but need an idea on what it is going to run a few of us.
    You are a great inspiration and have helped me get off the couch and start living again. Good luck and we will be following the Ironman training!
  5. GastonUSAChile

Oddometer:
    Erica,

Thanks you veeeeryyy much!! for your tips , pictures and suggestions. Actually you gave me idea on installing the bikes perpendicular to the longest side of the container. I saw the rings on the floor before but I couldn't figure out using them to strapping the bikes through the other side. Now, the idea is not doing a base crate anymore and that is a big saving for each of us.
    Another good tip is taking the bikes out of the container once the cargo is resting in the port. That would make the transit at no extra cost, because they charge hard when the full container is waiting to be taken out of the port.

Your pictures were pretty graphic, never shown before in your thread. Thanks again darling, your very dedicated on your intentions. I am an architect and I appreciate what you did and should be explained and shown.
    JUST GREAT.

Now, my story as per today's date. I am getting use to Lima little by little. Even if I 've been here many times. Now is working, not so hard but working. Assisting a project for the American Embassy (part time job). Business is good and doing a lot of contacts. Things that you don't ussually do in america (cause, you are secluded in a car all day long). Walking, sahring with people, professionals, embassy people, tourist..... a lot of them in Miraflores, tons of them from everywhere around the world.
    And believe me ladies and gentleman, today a lost my wallet at Starbucks, came 10 minutes after that, my wallet was in good Peruvian hands. ughsssshh!!
    Traffic is a madness in Lima, you know better than me when you had to look for mechs and parts. So, I am thinking not to ride in my caponord next year but, using a simple scooter would be enough. Aprilia just for traveling
    People is great here, friendly and curious about what do you do and work. I am Chilean so, neighbors are seen jealousy sometimes. In my case no problem at all. I am open and smiley person with everybody.

If you see my thread, I have confirmed already 4 motorcycles coming here plus another Ecuadorian who want to buy a F800 in Miami and travel form Lima to Quito (not confirmed yet but crazy about it..).
    John is a retired floridian who is coming with me. He'll be living in Peru for a year and we already have planned to take trips north and south to export and import the bikes each 6 month (we are entering the bikes as a tourist , US tagged). My caponord is more than 5 years for importing it.
    It will fun, since I have Chilean and American passports, so that will be like playing cards with multiple options to exit and enter to Peru.

As for the American economy, still doing pretty bad at all levels. Construction, services etc.. For you to know, in Florida they are given layoff or shortening work hours to firefighters, police, teachers etc...... Unbelievable, which country in the world is capable to do that?, noneee!!!

One of the reason to look for work and business abroad was US economy. No job for me, no expectations for the next 5 years at least. Peru the economy is booming right now. This country need a complete renovation and be updated at all levels. One of the reasons is seeing so many american business people like rice in the main areas.

Peru is great nation, great people, regardless of low income population. I think a better standard of life is coming in the next 15 years. Chile did, so this country will do. This is a rich energetic country, not from 'cafeine' or 'coca leaf' but from minery, agricultural and other resources. Latin America is young, just 200 years after independence. Well cultured population and a lot of dreams and wealth fare. Good for us!!!

Now it is time to discover and do a lot of adventure on this land. Vast and hidden secrets, incas and rich pre-columbian heritage.

Now, it's everybody invited to help me, and help you to look for this land of opportunities. Who ever want to share my container, my endeavor and the endless sake of moto adventure, it is more than welcome to enjoy the dream. Moto, parts and service to tourism/business is a must right now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511165&page=2

As for you Erica, I did follow your entire trip and an open hat for your braveness and courage. I know that , you'll never forget latin america and the people along your miles. Keep that feeling, deep in your heart. We Americans from TDF to Alaska are one big bunch of great human beings, young and dreamers, as well as rich in heritage and traditions, food, laugh, intelligence, friendship ..

Hopefully my dreams of what I follow is the same dream of all of us, adventurers for life.

Thanks again and please, have me as a close friend , here or there, Peru, US or wherever life take me.

Chao y gracias , hasta la proxima

Gaston
    samericaxplorer@gmail.com

Attached Files:

6. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on an incredible ride and many thanks for taking the time and effort to post pictures (incredible pictures by the way) and write up your adventures as it was unfolding. You have motivated me to want to go on my own adventure ride....but I think I'll skip the triathelon for now. :D

I am really curious as to what ever happened to your friends cracked frame? Did the weld job hold all the way home? Did Suzuki provide any sort of on the road assistance or after they got home did they repair or replace it?

Cheers,

Mike
  7. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Just reread and deserves a bump forward.
  8. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    But, I missed the post that said she made a wrong turn and fell off the edge of the Earth.

Erica, where you is? :ear

HC has come and gone. You didn't wash away with 39 Road did you. :dunno
  9. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think a boy is in the way of the keyboard

:wave Erica
  10. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:
    I'm Here!! I'm Here!! Hello dear ADV friends!

The road off the edge of the world was quite tempting, but I've opted - for the time being at least, to keep one foot on this side! There are still too many adventures to check off the list!

Currently, I'm planning Part Two of the South American journey. I went south, now it's time to go north. This summer, I'm aiming for Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. That'll complete the north-south line. And with a bit of luck and good timing, this will be the brother/sister tour! Yippeeee:clap :beer :ricky!!!
  11. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Hi Erica, nice to hear from you. :wave

Glad to hear of your plan for a new trip. :thumb

Please keep us posted. :ear
  12. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    When are you going? Maybe I'll see you there. I leave on Monday.
  13. Mr. Vintage

Mr. Vintage Family Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Erica!

(Did you do the ironman? :ear )
  14. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    About time you get back in the saddle! So Alaska is still on huh.
  15. Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you're around, or heading over to redmond for the beemer rally, but if you are we'd look forward to a visit....

All the best:

Bill, Patty, Roy, and Ruby...
  16. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:

I'm hoping to make it over for Friday night, but have to be back on Saturday afternoon. I'll definitely send you a message if I head over.
  17. mrhunt

mrhunt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SS,

Wicked cool trip! :clap Thanks for taking the time during your ride to post everything...which leads to my question. I know you used your Ipod touch to get the photos online, but how did you get the photos from camera to said device? Did you drag along a laptop as well? Been through the thread, but can't find the secret. Thanks!

MH
  18. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
  19. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken! I was hoping to make it, but my dear old dog got ran over a couple of days before the rally. He's doing fine now, but I couldn't leave during that time. It certainly looks like a fun time was had! I was hoping to enter the Red Baron into the Anti Concours contest. It's definitely been well used. :D
  20. SunnySideUp

Oddometer:
    Hi MH! I took a usb/sd card/thumbdrive. And I would stop at "internet cafes" to upload my photos. South of the border, internet cafes (cafe, but no coffee - just computers) are almost everywhere and easy to find. Hope this answers your question. Be well!