Running report - Honda Rebel across the US

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by VegasRider, Sep 26, 2008.

1. VegasRider

VegasRider Ya, I'm a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Yes, today is the day I start to earn my ADV Rider patch. I will be riding my little Honda Rebel from Las Vegas to Kitty Hawk, NC and back. Departure time is as soon as I can get my butt out of work. Myself and Shoganai will be updating this thread as my trip progresses.

I am not bringing a laptop, so updates from me will be sporadic but should include plenty of pics.

Now, I am not just doing this for fun. I am riding for a cause. That cause is the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, and yes, I am accepting donations. 95% of all donations will go to them at the end of the trip. Tax letters are available.

If you browse on over to my site http://www.radstream.com, not only can you donate, but you can see where I currently am. Using ham radio and APRS is free and easy, although coverage can be spotty.

Here is my little pony, well equipped with an ADV sticker, all ready to go.
    [​IMG]
    Updates as they occur!

-Ken
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:lurk
  3. Daryl_Stamp

Daryl_Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, can't wait to see more.
    Cross-country on a Rebel is definately ADV.

DLS
  4. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    :thumbup An adventure with a cause behind it. A true quest, a noble steed,and a brave man, what more could you ask for in a good ride report?
    Is that a 450 Rebel?
  5. Dirtgeek

Dirtgeek Guest

ride well and safe travels. we'll be following your journey.

al:1drink
  6. VegasRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. Well, I got out of Vegas late and was riding in the dark by the time I made Cedar City, UT. A local told me of a great place to camp in Parawan but alas, it is too dark to see much of anything. Only a 200 mile day, but not bad since I left town at about 5.

So, I am hoteling it tonight and using the hotel's computer. I do have pics, but just can't upload them.

Tomorrow I will try to make it to Vail, CO; nearly 500 miles. I am supposed to hook up with Sludge there. But, if that don't happen, I should be there before dark and my tent is just aching to be used.

Oh, and no. It's only a 250. :-) But I can cruise pretty well at 75 without much problem.

More tomorrow!

-Ken
  7. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Sucks2drive

Sucks2drive Banned

Oddometer:
    People may look at that bike and think,,, wow, too small......... but I reckon you got it right for pavement work, not too fast, loadsa MPG's and Hondas are tough lil bikes...... well done!

9. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Glad you are on your way!

Look forward to reading the trip as it comes out.
  10. VegasRider

Oddometer:
    OK. It's Wednesday and I am in Illinois!!! Here are a few teaser pics...
    [​IMG]
    Day 1 - Friday afternoon - I have to renew my registration, so here I am waiting with a Kawasaki. (YAWN - Can I leave yet???)
    [​IMG]
    Day 2 - Big valley overlook in UT.

[​IMG]
    Entering into Colorado!!!

I am on a limited connection, so, more pics in a few days.

Now, I did see another Inmate in the big tunnel to the west of Denver. I think he was riding a Dakar, I am not sure. He did wave a foot at me. :rofl Who was it? Anyone???

OK - more in a few days.

I did have a little mechanical bike scare in KS but it was just stupidity.:evil

-Ken
  11. Sucks2drive

Sucks2drive Banned

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk:lurk
  12. VegasRider

Oddometer:
    Oh, forgot to mention... I lost my tracker in CO. Well, didn't loose it, but my GPS kept shutting off and at one of my stops, I smelled something 'funny'... electrical funny. So, I pulled the whole power plug on it.

OK, off to bed. Hope to be in Bloomington, IN or further tomorrow.

Later, all!

-Ken :D
  13. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    Noticed you were having a hard time getting out of Glenwood Springs :) Sorry I missed ya coming thru but sounds like you are making great time.
  14. VegasRider

Oddometer:
    St. Francis was WONDERFUL! The park was quiet, clean and beautiful. The police drove around a few times. We exchanged waves and all was good.

In North Carolina now and bike is fine. Plenty of pics for later when I get back to where I can post.

-Ken
  15. VegasRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the posts, Shoganai!!!

Well, I ended up in a little town off I40 yesterday. Only rode about 150 miles and hit a wall of rain. SO, a rider from Wisconsin and myself decided to get a room together. We dried off, drank a 12-pack of beer, and watched a ballgame as the rain came down.

This morning it was COLD! Got a little rain suit from the local truckers-store and rode about 23 miles of old RT66 with the fellow from WI. We ended up in Weatherford, OK where we both decided the threat of thunderstorms was a bit too much for us to continue. So... we settled in, had a bite and now at the library. Mighty nice.

Beale street in Memphis was GREAT! I had almost an entire day there. Had two "Big Ass Beers." (pics to follow) and enjoyed some great blues.

I have tons of pictures now that I have a camera that works. BUT the library computers here don't have USB ports. SO, it may be a few days before I get any pictures up.

Later, all!
    -Ken
  16. VegasRider

Oddometer:
    Shoganai!!! I just read your other post. DUDE! You didn't let me down at ALL!!! It's all good! You and Stevereno had a lot going on and I can be a little less that clear at times. :bueller

PLEEZZZZZZZZ!!!!! Don't worry at all about it!!!!!!! :thumb
  17. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Can we get an update on this trip?

did everything turn out ok?
  18. NatGATT

NatGATT n00b

Oddometer:
    VegsRider hasn't logged into AdvRider in some time, but his public profile lists his blog, which has recent activity and confirmation of a safely completed trip.