Running the TAT in a 4X4?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by x32792, Oct 23, 2008.

1. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Running the TAT in a 4X4 does seem to offer more safety, comfort and increased load capacity.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has run either the Eastern, Western or both sections of the TAT in a 4X4.
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Its on my todo list, I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara setup adventure style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A "well equiped" 4x4 would have no problems, at least on the sections that I've rode from Jellico to Moab.
  3. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not, just getting out on the TAT in anything is better than the couch.

I have driven some of it in my pickup over the past few years. Wifey and I will be doing parts of it in her new jeep. She finally decided that if she couldnt ride along, then do what she could in her jeep. So again I say Why not.

Will say, Between Green River and Salina Ut will be very slow. Salina to Baker, closed forest may effect the trip.

Go for it, and report back
  4. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
  5. roc104

roc104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would also really increase the amount of time it takes. But if you only do small sections of it I guess it would not matter much.
  6. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    You might want to bring some sand ladders for some of the softer sections in Utah and Nevada. Colorado will be exciting but doable.
  7. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Several sources suggest 95% of the TAT is do-able in a 4X4.

My completely untested and unproven idea is to buy a used Jeep Wrangler here in the Orlando (FL) area, drive it to Jellico, try to do 200 miles a day and stay in cheap motels or camp along the way.

4,400 miles / 200 miles per day should be about 22 days... to this add down time for any number of reasons, stops, laundry, getting lost and sightseeing makes the whole run about 4 or 5 weeks with a tail wind and good luck.

At the end of the run, sell the Jeep and fly home.

Sand ladders are a very good idea. A shovel, front end wench and plates covering transmission and transfer case are also good ideas.

With a GPS receiver hooked to my lap top, digital mapping, Sam's Maps, credit cards, mobile phone and not being in a rush, I should be OK.
  8. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd LOVE to see piccies from Warloop Rd.....:lol3 :lol3 :lurk
    Make sure the vehicle is narrow enough to pass through some of the trail..
  9. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    If there are sections too narrow or single track, I guess there's always back up and go around...it's all good.
  10. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Why do Aussies place their snorkel facing aft, while yanks face them forward? Ram air? Ram water?:wink:
  11. roc104

roc104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden the TAT, just studied reports like an obsessed stalker :lol3 That disclaimer being said, I think in the western states 200 miles/day, in a jeep, may be difficult to achieve.

I know Jeff@ has done the TAT (along with tons of other rides), and the fact that he also off roads surely makes him a better estimator of the capable mileage.
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    200 miles a day is doable in the west but it would be all day driving.
  13. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:

Hmmm...the Aussie company ARB likes theirs facing foward too.

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Snorkels/27.aspx
  14. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    I guesstimated 22 days PLUS 1 to 2 weeks...not enough?

Five weeks would be about 125 miles per day.
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    That would be a good estimate.
  16. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the pictures I have seen, a 4x4 could do most/all of the trails in fairly stock form. A winch, sand rails, hi-lift jack, you know the basic recovery gear would do it. The biggest question would be, what's your average speed going to be? It would be very hard to guess that. A decent suspension would, most likely, do wonders for that. My kinda stock Jeep Cherokee can go alot of places. It is also a lot cheaper than a wrangler, my 1st one ran great, not real pretty, cost $1500. Decent all around Cherokees can be had for $2500, and are (basically) as capable as wranglers
  17. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    byron555,

The total cost of this adventure is an important issue and you make a valid point. A quick price check in my area proves your point:

1999- 2001 cherokee 4x4 $5-6K

1999- 2001 wrangler 4x4 $9-11K
  18. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Nevada will give you trouble if you don't have some good ground clearence. There is some deep flour sections and the sage will be trying to rip out anything not protected underneath. You can see in one part of the video the 2 track has not been used by a 4 wheel vehicle in quite some time. There were numours sections like this.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n9VUIZgTQJ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n9VUIZgTQJ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Also, you wont get a 4x4 through the small tunnel in Eagle Canyon in Utah. Which you can see here if you watch it
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pxfGDJwvKjU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pxfGDJwvKjU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  19. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Come to think of it. You'll never get a 4x4 through the Pieute (sp, yea I know) Trail. But all of this is easy to navigate around if you wanted as long as you know what lies ahead.
  20. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your videos. Nice camera and post production work.

I am sure there are places were a 4x4 is too wide to pass thru, but I am equally sure there must be ways to go around.

On the Western part of the Trail, did you have any problems with navigation, lodging, camping, fuel, eats?