Running the TAT in a 4X4?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by x32792, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:

Be prepared for a lot of mud and snowed in passes. Good luck...take lots of photos, and write a good report when you get back.
  2. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Have been reading all the threads on the TAT and now focusing on what appears to be the last issue...a GPS solution. Been looking hard at a Garmin GPS 60SCx, but someone has recently suggested I take a look at the Nuvi 500 or 550 (one has Canadian maps and the other does not).

The Nuvi 500 is about $300, has a bigger screen and is preloaded with maps of all 48 States and Topos. These are good things.

The 60SCx is about $300-350, has a much smaller screen and the maps and memory chip to hold the maps are extra.

Shopping Garmin can get expensive (and the options are confusing). Why do they offer so many flaming models with tiny little differences within each series? This rant is now complete, we can now flush and return to using our inside voices...The Nuvi 500 is better with routes than tracking. The 60CSx does both. On another TAT specific thread, I have just asked if anyone has ever run the TAT using a Mac based Nuvi 500 and will share the answer here if one is offered.

If anyone reading THIS thread has any personal knowledge or experience using a Mac based Nuvi 500 on the TAT, please pipe in.

For MacIntosh Users: Garmin offers FREE Mac Software downloads which offer most of the native Window MapSource and Trip Manager functionality. Some users report Garmin Mac software is just fine....Others disagree. There are still others who merely spit on the ground at the mention of Garmin anything.

Other Garmin-Mac options include buying a Windows based system and throwing your expensive Mac away OR buying a Window emulator like "Parrallels." The 2nd option requires you to purchase both "Parrallels" and "Windows 7" software. There is no need to catalog or mention the associated shame of using MicroSquash products.
  3. leonphelps

leonphelps TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer:
    If you are going in the 4x4 I'd get a GPS with a big screen, easier to see. My TAT partner (AugustFalcon) used a 276c with his MAC to upload software, I'd give him a PM and get some info from him. He did the second half of the TAT following me in my GMC Sierra 1500 because his bike died, KTM.

I'd load up POI's for National Parks, State Parks, Corps Of Engineer Parks to help you find good camp sites. We carried a book with all the info, which was easier to figure out on the map.

We actually used the GPS as a back up and mostly used the road book to find our way. When you get on the trail sometimes the GPS took us in some crazy directions!

AugustFalcon also mapped out the points for the GPS as waypoints so if we got lost we could just look for the closest waypoint to get back on track.
  4. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    Sure a rental car on the TAT...ha!

[​IMG]
  5. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

As suggested and used by John and Jack Bunce, a very good short hand "Old School-New School Navigational Method" to navigate the TAT might be to simply enter the latitude and longitude of each milage point marked with a Big Black Box on Sam's maps. These are frequent and could be entered as POIs or whatever your device will accept, naming them TN5.19, TN12.54, TN28.36 and so on to relate them back to Sam's maps.

Then when (not if) you get lost just push, "Take Me There!" and BLAM you're back on the trail.

Actually, a very clever and simple method compatible with any device capable of accepting, naming and storing multiple locations.

Kudos to Jack and John Bunce.
  6. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've seen that map before! The other guy we were with TomPound burned his maps every night!
  7. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    Sure. Keep in mind any idiot can roll a jeep, rental car, motorcycle into the woods. Keep this joke in mind:

Q: What is the difference between a rental car and an SUV?

A: There are some places you just won't take an SUV.
  8. DCZ

DCZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I accept your invitation and look forward to joining you as you make your way across Colorado and into Utah

Rick
  9. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Rick,

Welcome Aboard! Look forward to meeting you and seeing Colorado.

Still trying to resolve the Great Mac-Garmin Debacle. Thought I had a handle on which device to buy until someone whispered into my ear, "Nuvi 550."

This happened just at the very moment my finger was poised on the trigger to buy a shinny new GPS 60CSx with 2G micro storage card and City Nav Maps which are reported to be sufficient to make this run.

With the GPS thing still in the air, this means I may reach Canada or Mexico before you see me in Colorado. Be that as it may, I'll be out there somewhere. I do speak many of the local dialects I will encounter along the way, a little Mexican and have a credit card, so I should make it...I hope.

My only brother, the Viet Nam era Marine Gunny Sergeant, after hearing me cry about all things Mac and Garmin waggishly suggested, "Why don't you do what Lewis and Clark did? Get yourself an old Indian woman to guide you across America!" Yes, he is a rare treasure...You don't get many of these to the pound.

Packing my MacBook Pro (unless I have to buy a Windows Netbook to get the Garmin to work?), so we should be able to stay in touch on this thread, by PM or email.

John
  10. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should be a good trip, have you set the departure date and schedule yet?
  11. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Vinnie,

The departure date from the Orlando area is set for May 1st, a leisurely two day drive to Brevard, NC, a visit with Teddy the Toad of Toad Hall and from there on to Jellico. This should put me at the trailhead about May 6-7th?

From there, on the Canada or Mexico (or both?) if I don't get this GPS thing sorted out....Working feverishly with another inmate who strongly believes the TAT can be done using a Nuvi 500 or 550 (which ever one is preloaded with CityNav and US Topo) using Mac BaseCamp...I live in hope.

As we squeak, we are noodling out the details. If successful, I will publish the details and a flow chart giving full credit to the inmate responsible for doing all the heavy lifting.

I've even heard rumors of a Noble Prize for the best damn TAT Navigational System running on a Mac for under $300....We are living in interesting times.

John
  12. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    10-4,

Keep me in mind if you get in the Tulsa Area, may be a good place to spend a day here at the shed.
  13. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    Dont rely on the auto route to complete the TAT with the GPS. You will have to plot the points if you are not using the road book. I couple of times I relied on the GPS to route me when I got lost to find the next point and it was quite an adventure to get back on the trail. It will send you in a weird route!

I can't stress enough to use the road book to find your way on the TAT and use the GPS as a back up. Or if you do use the GPS, plot each point so you stay on the trail and have the road book to help.
  14. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    Awesome video....
  15. leonphelps

Oddometer:
  16. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

For a Mac based GPS n00b like myself who has never owned or operated a GPS anything outside of occasionally looking at one in golf cart, the most difficult step is the first one.... Deciding which GPS to buy.

Without the information, help and support provided by many people on this board, I'd still be sitting in my boxer shorts, drooling, rocking back and forth, my brain vapor locked over the many choices available. The small incremental differences between each model makes the selection process confusing and difficult.

I'd like to extend a special thanks to Ogre_FL for his time spent in explaining to me the applications and uses of a Nuvi 550. These were dark and troubling times.

Over the coming weeks, I will be using my MacBook Pro (Mac OS X, Version 10.6.2 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) loaded with a full set of Garmin-Mac freeware to learn and test a slightly larger Nuvi 1490T.

Unable to find and buy a Nuvi 1450, I bought the next model up which has FM Traffic Alerts and BlueTooth. I am certain the FM Traffic Alerts will prove to be of great value on TAT.
  17. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Purchased a Nuvi 1490T tonight at Costco, a big box, higher end, discount chain.

Registered and downloaded the available Map Update from the Garmin site, but when I opened Basecamp, what I got is what you see above.

This is downtown Orlando, FL, a city of 2.5 million people. No need to zoom in any closer...there are no more details....no more streets.

This map set doesn't even show the street I live on or Jellico, TN.

Hoping this is merely an Operator Error (me) and Garmin Support will soon have me up and running.
  18. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    check your Adv PM mail box.

humor me ... zoom in stuff starts to appear around at 0.2 miles.
  19. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    Get the TOPO maps....
  20. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Jack,

At full zoom and full detail, there is no more detail than what I posted above.

Regarding your PM, hope you were correct in writing Garmin would not do this to me, but in checking Basecamp Map Tab, the "US Basemap V2" is the ONLY map I have loaded.

My internet connection did stutter a little last night, so this may be just some sort of download error which can be corrected quickly. Thank you for sending me this screen shot (below) of what I should be seeing.

John

[​IMG]