Running the TAT in a 4X4?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by x32792, Oct 23, 2008.

1. leonphelps

leonphelps TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer:
    I think you are going to have to purchase the CityNav separately. I think GARMIN just includes basemapV2 with all its units. To get the better maps they want your $$. Even the 60csx only comes with a base map, and you have to upgrade.
  2. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    John,

Get a hold of Garmin.

All of us that bought Nuvi 500/550's recently got the City Nav 2010.4 maps downloaded to the computer when we did the map upgrade.
  3. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    The Garmin website is very specific about "What's in the Box" for the Nuvi 1490T:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36082

nüvi 1490
    Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America or Europe (full coverage)
    Lifetime traffic¹
    FM traffic receiver with vehicle power cable (indicated by "T" after model number on the box)
    Vehicle suction cup mount ²
    USB cable
    Dashboard disc
    Quick start manual
  4. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Steve,

Have already contacted Garmin Support by email and gone thru the online download update process twice, once last night and again this morning. Still all I can see under Basecamp Map Tab is that stinking (and useless) US Basemap v2.

This has got to be an Operator Error (me) or a download snafu because the map update file I down loaded is a whopping 2.4G's.

If I can just find those precious (and misplaced) CityNav maps, I think this will work as you and I discussed it.

John

PS

As to the idea of paying for ANOTHER set of CityNav maps, I'd sooner call in an air strike on Costco (if this is be their doing) and stick pins in my eyes.

Cultural Note for any foreign readers: Cracker Americans are some of the sweetest and most gentle folks you will ever find. They are generally the salt of the Earth right up to the moment they discover they have been flim-flammed or dun wrong. After this they can become unruly, violent, vindictive and downright pissy.
  5. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their e-mail replies can take about 2 days.

Don't try this via e-mail, call them.
    They wont bite :D

No you dont get the CD of the maps like they used to, but they have provided the computer maps to many of us via the upgrade download.
    Some have had snags and have had to call support, but we have all got them.

BTW does your Nuvi have the latest maps on it now?
    Go to Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info
    See what maps are there, should be 2010.4

Hey...did you get a 1450 or a 1490T?:huh
  6. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Steve,

Under the Tools Tab there is no Setting>Map>Map Info. There is, however, a separate Maps Tab with drop down menu: Maps>Installed Maps Info>US Basemap v2.

The US Basemap v2 is the ONLY map listed (or shown) in the Installed Maps section.

I got the Nuvi 1490T...Couldn't find a 1450.

As per your suggestion, now on "hold" and have been told to except a 30-35 minute wait to talk to a real live Tech Rep.

John
  7. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    If only the base map is there on the Nuvi as well something went wrong with the whole download process or there is an issue with the unit.

Get Garmin on the phone, they will fix it.
  8. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Oh Steve-ee-oo,

After a 35 minute wait online to speak briefly with a Windows Tech, I was transferred to a wise and powerful Mac Tech.

The CityNav map were FOUND by the Windows Tech inside the Road Trip program.

There is a small window, upper right, under which in fly type is written "Currently Displayed Map." There is no similar option to display CityNAV maps in Basecamp (this begs the question, "What the hell is Basecamp good for?")

The CityNav maps are also reported to be hiding inside my Garmin 1490T...I'll try to confirm this when I unplug the Nuvi from my computer.

Custom routing and trip planning are done with Road Trip...not in Basecamp...Big misconception on my part.

When the Mac Tech understood my specific TAT application, he suggested I use Road Trip>mark all the Black Box Mile Markers as WayPoints>then lay out my Route between these Black Box Mile Markers/WayPoints.

Once completed, upload the routing and waypoints to my 1490T device, put the device on the dash of my Jeep and away I go. Sounds easy enough.

We decided 1,000 "waypoints" should be more than enough assuming a 3,500-4,000 mile trip with "waypoints" every 10 miles = 400 waypoints/Black Boxes Mile Markers with many "points" to spare.

I blessed both the Windows and Mac Garmin Techs, but only promised to name a child after the Mac Tech. He had no sense of humor, but he was most helpful.

Sorry for rambling on, but I just had to type this out while it was still fresh in my head.

Hope this report will help some other poor Mac GPS n00b. Lord knows I've poured over many, many reports on AdvRider to find answers to some of my questions.

I think the Garmin dark clouds may have parted?

John

Shortly after writing the above, I can now add with a great degree of certainty, the clouds were cleared for a brief moment until I bobo-ed into the next snag; Uploading My First Route to my remote device (tech-talk for Nuvi 1490T).

Arrh, there be beasties in these waters and none of this is intuitive or easy. The manuals are written with the brevity of a fortune cookie and FAQs more often than not create more questions.
  9. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

When your Nuvi 1490T turns out to be little more than a fashion accessory for the "soccer mom on the go" and you've rolled off your Roll Charts, I guess you can always stop and ask for directions.

Meanwhile, back at the Lab, progress is being made...We think?

[​IMG]

The differences between the Mac BaseCamp and RoadTrip versions loaded on my computer is the fact I CAN ONLY FIND latitude and longitude locations in the BaseCamp program.

Using BaseCamp>Find>Locate Coordinates>enter the Latitude and Longitude shown on Sam's Roll Chart for a TAT Mile Marker>Name Location>check Show on Map>>>

Work Around: This data is then transfered to the GPS Device and then imported from the GPS device back to the computer where it can be seen in Road Trip displayed on the more detailed CityNav map.

Once the Named Waypoints are displayed in either BaseMap or RoadTrip on the more detailed CityNav Maps, use the Routing Tool to connect these Waypoints and create a Route.

Seen above are WayPoints named TN 5.19 and TN 12.54. The green line connecting them is the Route. I have checked this method out as far as TN 28.36 and the green route follows Sam's route. Out to 28.36 miles, I used three of the system limit 1,000 "points." Note: The motorcycle friendly, waterproof Nuvi 500 and 550 have a system limit of 500 points, but Orge_FL assures me there is a work around. CORRECTION: I was mistaken. Orge_FL has not found a points limit work around

I am encouraged.

If a way can be found to activate the more detailed City Nav maps in BaseCamp, all this Hokey Pokey could be eliminated.
  10. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry John,
    I think you misunderstood me.
    The work around is the 10 route limit, not the waypoint limits.
  11. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Jack,

As per your suggestion, I checked and found I was running BaseCamp 2.0.1.

Found the download for the BETA version of BaseCamp 2.1.1 and BLAM, I have CityNav Maps and the ability to find locations using Latitudes and Longitudes. This should make the job easier by eliminating the need to do the Hokey Pokey. Thank you.

CAUTION:

Although the beta version of this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

System Requirements to use the Beta 2.1.1 version of BaseCamp:

Intel-based or PowerPC G4 or later Mac
    OS 10.4.11 or later
    1024 MB RAM

Steve,

I've been suffering from informational overload for the last few days and did misunderstand your comments on "point" limits and the possibility you might have found a work-around.

Thank you for correcting my error.

John
  12. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Working with Mac, Garmin and Nuvi is like trying to read and digest the Federal Tax Codes as administered by Borg. Resistance is futile.

After a steep and difficult Learning Curve which I could not have completed without the help of many, I did a 377.02 mile section of Arkansas last night in about 4 hours. If this makes me a Speed Demon or the Village Idiot, I don't know, but I thought I was flying.

I now believe working with Sam's Maps, Roll Charts and gaining a working knowledge of a GPS device is an essential and not always pleasant part of the TAT experience. Anyone who tells you, "Heck, it weren't nothing" is a big lying pile of steaming dog pooh.

I still have an imperfect understanding of route storage and device memory limits, but I now know a whole lot more than I did a week ago about All Things Mac, Garmin and Nuvi.

Again, thanks to all who have helped me thru this difficult and dumpy portion of my TAT experience.
  13. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's an AVERAGE speed of about 91 mph on the TAT! :huh That's gonna help us with the locals for sure. :gun2

On my bike I average around 200 miles a DAY or about 25 mph. :gerg So that will be a closing speed of 66 mph from BEHIND. Unless, of course, I am stopped over the hill or around the corner taking a picture or a leak. That adds a new level of adventure to riding the TAT. :grim
  14. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Jack,

I did 377.02 miles thru Arkansas last night on my computer using BaseCamp v2.1.1...Not in my late model vintage Jeep Wrangler.

John
  15. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow... that's a relief! :freaky

I was wondering how you could get a vintage Jeep Wrangler to go that fast. :lol3
  16. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    And in the dark too. :rofl
  17. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    I agree. And I want to offer one more observation:

My miles/beer went way down the later it became every evening.
  18. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Above is my GPS "route" from TN to MS. This is a graphic representation of a GPX file generated using Mac Garmin Freeware.

After a week (full time), I was able to master BaseCamp v 2.1.1 and program my Nuvi 1490T to haul my tired old grey ashes, turn by turn, all the way from Jellico, TN to Utah.

Below is the first section of my "route" running between the first two little flags on the map above. This section is about 7.35 miles long and below is what it looks like close up on my computer screen. This data is then uploaded to my on-dash GPS device for display in 3D with audible turn-by-turn prompting.

[​IMG]

I was very resistive at first to learning GPS anything, but now find myself being drawn to the Dark Side of GPS Tech. On order is the companion Topographic maps. The detail on the Garmin US TOPO 2008 is only 1:100,000 which is not as good as the more expensive 1:24,000 maps, but the lesser detail maps load faster and will do.

The TN 5.19 and TN 12.54 nomenclature above corresponds to mile markers on the paper maps and motorcycle roll charts I purchased from the Cartographer of the Trans America Trail, Sam Correro.

This entry has been edited and revised to make it more informative for AdvRider readers. This site has been a terrific source of useful information for me and I felt obligated to do my best to return the favor.
  19. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Personal Safety Gear, AGATT:

Non-DOT Approved Head Gear, $11 on sale.

Stihl Chain Saw Safety Glasses, Impact Resistant, 100% UV Protection, $10 from the Garden Center.

Long Sleeve Cotton Shirt from Costco, about 14 bucks.

Personal Protection and Safety, Pricelesss.

(Please remember, I also have a three point seat belt, full roll bar and air bags.)

Camp Stove:

[​IMG]

Single Burner Pro Bass Propane Camp Stove, 10,000 BTU, $19.99. Propane Bottles are about $3 each from anywhere.

Cookware:

[​IMG]

Non-Stick Grille Pan can do a meat, potato and vegetable all at the same time...No oil required. Pretty neat. Perfect companion for Pro Bass Single Burner Propane Camp Stove.

Small Stainless Steel Pan with lid from Target for $10. Just the item for hot chocolate, oatmeal, soups and stews.

Large Designer Cup-Bowls from the Dollar Store. Looked at Calvin Klein titanium camp cups for $35 each, but decided these $1 each ones would do. If one breaks, I'll buy another.

Some Fancy Eating Tools:

[​IMG]

Some fancy eating tools and a container to put them in. So where's them paper plates and where does Ms Suzi keep her steak knives? Certainly, she wouldn't miss just one little knife?

All of the above "camp kitchen" items, along with a gallon of water, fit neatly into one plastic Sterilte storage crate for easy loading and unloading at campsites.
  20. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

15" MacBook Pro Laptop

iPod Shuffle, gotta have my tunes

SD 2GB Flash Drive with Garmin Maps back-up

Cell Phone which won't work out West

Nuvi 1490T, precious, sweet and chatty little darling

Digital Camera (not shown in picture, Cannon PowerShot SD1000)

Phone Charger

Camera Charger

Laptop Power/Charger

Laser Mouse

Assorted Cables

Packing enough Tech to make me feel like George Jetson.