Rural Road Rambling (Mostly but not exclusive to Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fall colors are awesome. Fall colors on a body of water are awesomer. The binoculars were funny. What a great place to ride in your neck of the woods.
    Chillis and B10Dave like this.
  2. RustyCanuck

RustyCanuck Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great shots of Dorset, my family had a cottage on a little lake(Paint lake) that connected to Lake of Bays when I was a kid in the 70s. We would jump into the 12' tin boat with the Elgin 12hp on it and head to town. My brothers and I would spend a bunch of time hanging around and waiting for the guy with the Donzi Sweet 16 to come to town so we could ogle his boat!
    Back then Robinsons was a family hardware store with mounted fish and stuffed game on the walls. I remember it fondly, creaky wood floors, Coke from a cold water cooler and penny candy. The building where the Museum is, was Claytons hardware back then, a smaller version of Robinsons , they were the place to go to for gas if I remember correctly.
    My middle brother never made it much past the first few flights of the tower as well, but my oldest brother and I would race up, loved going there! I'll have to get back up there to check it out soon.
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    Tillsonburg? My back still aches when I hear that word!
    B10Dave likes this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter is over. At least on the calendar with spring starting tomorrow. It is time to wake up my bikes for the coming season of "Rural Road Rambling". I made good use of the tire change stand and wheel balancer I bought over the winter.The Royal Enfield received an oil and filter change last fall so that is done. I replaced and balanced both tires; added fork gaiters and a small fly screen, serviced the chain and gave it a good clean. It's ready!!
    bike 026.jpg

bike 027.jpg

bike 005.jpg

bike 009.jpg

bike 007.jpg

bike 008.jpg

bike 006.jpg

Continued......
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once the R.E. was done I put my R50/5 up on the hoist. It received an oil and filter change and tire pressure check. I changed the final drive oil last fall so only needed to check the level. I removed the centre stand to repair the rusted out and dented leg bottoms and replace the broken tab used to initially get the stand down to the ground. After it was painted I reinstalled the stand and added the missing second retraction spring. Works much better now. I still need to give this bike a good cleaning and it will be ready to resume rambling.

bike 011.jpg

bike 013.jpg

bike 014.jpg

bike 016.jpg

bike 020.jpg

bike 023.jpg

bike 024.jpg

When I finish with the BMW it will be time to wake up my '48 BSA.

bike 025.jpg

Bring on the warmer weather. We are ready!!!!!
  6. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've been busy this winter... hoping for great weather in the coming weeks for ya'...
    klaviator, Chillis and B10Dave like this.
  7. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    May you get out soon and often, Dave!
  8. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Greetings from northern Cumbria Dave! :wave

I’m really enjoying your thread and I’ve only got to the end of the second page at the moment as I’m connecting up the locations on Google Maps as you mention them. I enjoy this ‘around my area’ content even more than the ‘normal’ RTW ride reports! I guess it’s probably because local knowledge gives you a far better insight into other parts of the world than a tourist view can.

Your photos and narrative show that live in a very beautiful part of the world and, as you know, I do like local history so I’m enjoying what you’re posting. I can’t think of the right phrasing here, but the First Nation and ‘recent’ history does seem less remote and more culturally relevant compared to the ancient Roman stuff I’ve posted in the past.

Time to up my game :D. Hopefully we’ll all be able to get out riding more this year. It’s great to hear that Mrs B10Dave is back in the saddle. Mrs JimRidesThis is also showing some interest too! She’s had her own licence for over 30 years but hasn’t had her own bike for the last twenty. She’s currently eyeing-up Interceptors, Bonnevilles or something similar. I’m only encouraging her :D
    gpfan, Chillis, B10Dave and 1 other person like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for dropping in Jim. Weather is getting warmer gradually and my rambling will resume soon. Two of my four rides are ready and waiting to go. I have to yet wake up the '48 B33 and I think my other BSA will stay resting for this year. It needs some engine work and also insurance here in Ontario is too expensive to license all at once. I have been enjoying your thread for quite awhile and hope you continue to look in here. There will be more content as soon as the weather allows....Cheers!.......Dave
  10. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Catching up. I’m on page 5 now :D

A few years ago (April 2008) I made a brief tour of northern France and Belgium. I was particularly interested in the WW1 tunnellers at the time - e.g Lochnagar crater, etc. because my father-in-laws lineage were all miners from the North East.

One of the most spectacular and moving sites I visited was Vimy Ridge where the Canadian forces played the major part in the action. Not one centimetre of land seemed untouched by artillery and there’s still so much unexplored ordnance there that several fenced off ‘no go’ areas.
    CdnGS, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    April 8th 2021. Bike prepared, check; weather warm and sunny, check; buddy ready to go for a ride, check; back roads ready to be ridden, check; craft breweries needing to be visited, check...Guess it's time for the first "Rural Road Ramble" for 2021.
    Left my home and headed north on Dorchester Rd. at about 11 this morning. Rode up through the hamlets of Crossley-Hunter and Gladstone. The winter wheat is greening up quickly and starting to grow.
    trip 002.jpg

I stopped for fuel at the service centre at Dorchester Rd & 401 Hwy. Got a pic for the "Your bike at a Tim Hortons" for the Canadian Regional thread.

trip 004.jpg

From there I continued on into Dorchester to meet up with my riding buddy Maurice at his home.

trip 005.jpg

Yesterday we went to Acton Ontario and picked up his brand new Royal Enfield 650 twin but for some strange reason he opted to leave it home today and ride his 450 Honda.:loco..:dunno

trip 006.jpg

We left his place and went north to and through Thorndale;on Nissouri Rd. and turned west on Cty. Rd 16 over to Prospect Hill Rd. which we took north to...where else?...Prospect Hill. From there a turn onto the Whalen Line took us to Hwy 23 North. On 23 we passed through Woodham and before we got to Kirkton I pulled over at a bridge spanning Fish Creek for several photos.

trip 007.jpg

When I walked out onto the bridge to take photos along the creek there was an old lure on the rail. I didn't see it and almost jammed my elbow down on it..:fpalm

trip 009.jpg

The farm just north of the bridge has an old iron township bridge in it's lane spanning the creek.

trip 010.jpg

trip 008.jpg

trip 011.jpg

Continued........
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Continuing north we passed through Kirkton and just before Russeldale we made our first brewery stop of the day at the Black Donnellys Brewing Company, where I bought six beers and a glass to add to my collection.

trip 013.jpg

Travelling on we passed through Russeldale and up to Mitchell. There is a company in Mitchell that makes an "air bar" for combine headers to help lift downed crop onto the header platform during harvesting. They have an antique open station John Deere "40" combine out front to advertize their product.

trip 014.jpg

trip 015.jpg

Our actual reason for stopping in Mitchell was to check out the auction lots at Jacob Auctions yard where their annual spring consignment auction was to take place on line this evening. Maurice wanted to take a close look at an ATV he was interested in bidding on.

trip 016.jpg

trip 018.jpg

trip 019.jpg

trip 023.jpg

trip 026.jpg

trip 028.jpg

When we finished perusing the auction goodies it was time to head east on Highway 8 over to Stratford.

continued.......
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reasons for stopping in Stratford were twofold. Beer and a glass for my collection were bought at the Black Swan brewery and lunch was had at the Erie Drive In restaurant.

trip 030.jpg

trip 031.jpg

trip 032.jpg

We left Stratford on Hwy. 7 heading west towards St Mary's. To make the ride a bit more interesting at the second round about we encountered we headed up Perth Line 16 to Road 125; down to Line 15 and over to Perth Road 130. This took us into the north end of St Mary's where we turned onto Glass Street and went to the Broken Rail Brewery where more beer and another glass were purchased.

trip 037.jpg

trip 038.jpg

trip 034.jpg

The Brewery is housed in an 1858 stone Grand Trunk railway station thet was known as St Mary's Junction Station. There is an active CN rail line behind the building which curves around to the south, passes over a large stone piered viaduct, passes the St Mary's in town station and continues on to London. It carries both freight and ViaRail passenger traffic. This station was called the Junction station because the rail line used to wye just to the west and continued to Sarnia where it continued through the St Clair tunnel to Port Huron Mi. and on to Chicago. This part of the line is now a rail trail.

trip 035.jpg

If you zoom in on the next picture you can read about a 16 year old Thomas Alva Edison who for a few months in 1863/64 was a telegrapher here and in nearby Stratford. His grandfather lived in Vienna Ontario and I have told a bit of his history in a previous post. TAE's father moved from Vienna to the USA after being on the wrong side of some political upheavel and ending up being a wanted man by the Canadian Government. Thomas used to visit his Grandfather Samuel during his boyhood summers in Vienna.

trip 036.jpg

continued....
    klaviator, chethro, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Upon leaving St Mary's we headed south on Cobble Hills Rd. to Hwy. 2/Dundas St. to Hwy 73/Elgin Rd. and on to Dorchester for a beer at Maurices house. I then went back south on Dorchester Rd. to home where I unloaded my beers into the fridge and added the glasses to my collection. Then this evening when I wrote up this report I enjoyed a glass of IPA from Broken Rail Brewing.

trip 039.jpg

trip 040.jpg

trip 041.jpg

trip 042.jpg

trip 043.jpg

Thanks for coming along and hopefully the next "Ramble" will happen soon...........Dave
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a chance to go for a 2 hr. ride this afternoon. I left home about 2:20 and went into Aylmer for fuel.

pbps 001.jpg

pbps 002.jpg

From Aylmer I continued south on Imperial Rd. (former Hwy 73) to and through the hamlet of Copenhagen and down to Port Bruce

pbps 003.jpg

pbps 004.jpg

pbps 005.jpg

My reason for coming to Port Bruce was to get pictures of the new bridge and some of the temporary bridge just down stream.

pbps 006.jpg

pbps 007.jpg

pbps 010.jpg

pbps 012.jpg

This bridge was officially opened in Dec. 2020. It replaces a bridge built in the 1960's that collapsed in the fall of 2018 as a loaded dump truck was crossing; pics in next post.

continued............
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    First two pics are not mine. I copied them from the Internet. They show the bridge and dump truck from the fall of 2018.

maxresdefault.JPG

port-bruce-bridge-coming-out.JPG

In the second pic you can see the crane in the background that was used to lift the truck after it's load had been removed. No official cause of the collapse has been released yet as there is an ongoing lawsuit. This bridge is the only one in Port Bruce spanning Catfish Creek and had replaced a much earlier one about two hundred yards downstream. Fortunately the original abutments for that bridge were still in place over 50 years later and the County was able to use them for a temporary span they bought and installed to restore access without having to make a 15 mile detour. Now that the permanent bridge is open the temporary one will be moved to another location. More about that later.

pbps 013.jpg

pbps 014.jpg

pbps 015.jpg

pbps 019.jpg

After getting my bridge pictures I left Port Bruce on Dexter Line (The Waterfront Trail) to head west through Dexter and on to Port Stanley.

pbps 009.jpg

pbps 020.jpg

Dexter isn't much more than a few houses and a Community Hall now.

pbps 021.jpg

Those fat tired bicycles were electric assist and seemed to be doing about 30 mph. when they rode past me as I took the picture.

continued.......
    klaviator, EmmEff, Chillis and 6 others like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode into Port Stanley to the main intersection and took a couple of pics.

pbps 025.jpg

pbps 026.jpg

Down by the harbour I got pics of the 1938 King George VI lift bridge and some of the fishing fleet docked for the night.

pbps 022.jpg

pbps 023.jpg

pbps 024.jpg

I left Port on the Fingal Line and turned north on Sparta Line to cross the old iron bridge spanning Kettle Creek. This bridge is going to be removed soon and the temporary one from Port Bruce will be installed as it's permanent replacement. I am hoping to get pictures of the removal process and the moving and installation of the other one when the time comes.

pbps 031.jpg

pbps 032.jpg

pbps 033.jpg

pbps 034.jpg

From here I went into St Thomas to see if there were any trains stirring (no luck) and on home for a couple of beers and supper. About 65 miles today. Thanks for coming along. Until next time.......Dave
    klaviator, EmmEff, Chillis and 7 others like this.
  18. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The RE is looking good! :thumb I like the windscreen.

I have never seen boats like those. That style would make one heck of a nice houseboat. Very roomy with a flat top deck. I don't think you could repurpose one tho...
    B10Dave likes this.
  19. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see you're out and about, Dave. Thanks.
    black 8 and B10Dave like this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was a decent one with mid 60's temps and mostly sunny until late in the afternoon. After a trip to get beer for the shop fridge I took off northbound on Dorchester Rd. to meet with my friend Maurice to go for a ramble. My R.E. was the bike of choice for today.

ride 32 003.jpg

ride 32 005.jpg

I passed through the hamlets of Crossley-Hunter and Gladstone. Just north of Gladstone I came across evidence of unrest by the resident population. LOL.

ride 32 006.jpg

I continued on into Dorchester to Maurice's house to meet up. Looks like he decided to ride his new steed today.

ride 32 007.jpg

We went north on Shaw Sideroad, right on Hwy. 2 and immediately left again on Fairview Rd. headed to Thorndale. Saw our first indication that some fields are getting dry enough to work.

ride 32 008.jpg

Upon reaching Thorndale we turned east on Thorndale Rd. over to Heritage Rd. where we turned north towards St Mary's. On the way we passed through Friendly Corners and then right on Plover Mills Rd. Just south of Belton we passed the Agromart fertilizer storage yard.

ride 32 010.jpg

We went through Belton; to and through Wellburn; right on Hwy. 7 and left into St Mary's on Perth Rd 123. Stopped at the edge of town to get a couple of pics of the St Mary's Cement plant. They produce bagged and bulk cement powder here from the limestone quarried across the road from the plant.

ride 32 011.jpg

ride 32 012.jpg

ride 32 013.jpg

continued........
    zookster, chethro, Chillis and 2 others like this.