Rural Road Rambling (Mostly but not exclusive to Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    St Mary's is also called "Stonetown" because of the extensive use of local quarried limestone in the construction of many buildings, houses,bridges and rail road viaducts. This newly restored building is just past the town entrance sign.

ride 32 014.jpg

And just beyond it is the St Mary's recreation area. This consists of two worked out quarries, the curling rink, some tennis courts and some park area. The west quarry has been used for a swimming place since it was closed and the local service club has made a nice facility there along with the other amenities.

ride 32 015.jpg

ride 32 016.jpg

ride 32 017.jpg

ride 32 018.jpg

ride 32 019.jpg

ride 32 020.jpg

Further into town more of the stone architecture is evident in the buildings.

ride 32 021.jpg

continued.........
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    We stopped at the bridge on Queen St. (Rd. 139) to look up the river, over the dam and on up to the old CNR/Grand Trunk rail viaduct which is now part of a rail trail.

ride 32 022.jpg

ride 32 023.jpg

ride 32 027.jpg

ride 32 028.jpg

ride 32 029.jpg

ride 32 030.jpg

We went further east in town to get pics of the other (active) rail viaduct and the ViaRail passenger station.

ride 32 031.jpg

ride 32 033.jpg

ride 32 034.jpg

The above pictured viaduct begins about 100 ft. to the right of the station in the pic.

continued.............
    zookster, popscycle, chethro and 4 others like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    We left St Mary's on Queen St E. (Perth Rd. 9) out to the roundabout at Hwy 7 and took 7 over to Stratford. Took some pics at the station in Stratford of the rail yard, station and some of the Goderich & Exeter power and rolling stock. This station is the other one mentioned in a previous post, where a young Thomas Edison was a telegrapher for a few months. It was built by the Grand Trunk Railroad which was later incorporated into the Canadian National RR. It is still an active passenger station for ViaRail.

ride 32 035.jpg

ride 32 036.jpg

ride 32 037.jpg

ride 32 039.jpg

ride 32 040.jpg

ride 32 043.jpg

From the station we went a few hundred yards down the track to the YMCA parking lot and got a mural picture.

ride 32 046.jpg

And then next door to the Municipal parking lot which abuts the old crumbling remains of the once very active Grand Trunck/CNR locomotive manufacturing and repair shops which closed in the early 60's. Too bad that nobody had the foresight to preserve this historical industrial complex when it still could be saved.

ride 32 048.jpg

ride 32 050.jpg

continued.......
    zookster, popscycle, chethro and 3 others like this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode out of Stratford to the Embro Rd. south (Perth 113) through the hamlets of Fairview and Brooksdale and down to Embro where we stopped at the well kept cemetery and the monument to the Zorra Township tug of war team which took on and beat all comers for the world championship at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893.

ride 32 051.jpg

ride 32 054.jpg

ride 32 055.jpg

ride 32 058.jpg

ride 32 060.jpg

We continued south on Embro Rd. through Embro Village and down to Cody's Corners where we stopped at the monument there. It commemorates several generations of the Cody family; an evangelical preacher of some note and a famous, to my generation, high performance speedboat pilot.

ride 32 062.jpg

ride 32 063.jpg

ride 32 064.jpg

ride 32 065.jpg

From here we rode south to the hamlet of Foldens, east to Plank Rd. (Hwy 19) south to Salford where we turned onto Dereham Line south to Mt Elgin Road where we went west to Verschoyle. At Verschoyle we turned south again down to Prouse Rd which we took west to Avon and over to Imperial Rd (Hwy 73). We crossed Imperial Rd and continued to Dorchester Rd. where we turned south to my place. After a couple of beers and some conversation, Maurice left to ride back home to Dorchester. All in all a good riding day and about 170 kms/106 miles were covered. Hope to get out again on Tuesday coming when the weather guessers are promising temps in the low 70;s. Thanks for tagging along....Dave.
    zookster, popscycle, chethro and 3 others like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely time to get out and ride with spring in the air...

That was a nice day ramble Dave...
    Chillis, B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a factory stock seat for my R50/5 from a guy in British Columbia. Today I installed it to replace the factory "low" seat the bike came with. First owner was a vertically challenged lady; hence the low seat from new.

seat 001.jpg

seat 002.jpg

seat 003.jpg

seat 004.jpg

Also; the mailman dropped off a package from Israel today that I have been waiting for since March 24th. I bought a mesh seat cover from a company called Sit n Fly for my Royal Enfield twin. Retailers in the U.S. want crazy prices for these covers and stupid shipping charges to Canada. The Israeli seller charged me half what the cheapest U.S. retailer wanted and this included free shipping in the price. I could have bought one on Amazon or E Bay for a lot less but I refuse to deal with Chinese retailers while their government holds two Canadian citizens hostage.

seat 005.jpg

seat 006.jpg
    Chillis, popscycle, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was shaping up to be a dandy so my riding buddy Maurice and I made plans to get out on our R.E. twins. Before I could go anywhere I had to go into Aylmer to fill up the fuel tank.

Ride33 001.jpg

Maurice was just pulling into my driveway as I got home so it wasn't long before we were northbound on Dorchester Rd. Lyons Line took us east; to and through Lyons and over to Putnam Rd where we went north again.

Ride33 002.jpg

Putnam Rd. took us to the hamlet of Avon where we didn't hang around as it was rather ripe smelling at the time.

Ride33 004.jpg

Ride33 003.jpg

Ride33 005.jpg

Avon Drive goes straight east over to Culloden Rd. Just before that is Spring Lake RV Park. It is built around a disused gravel pit which stays full of water because it is spring fed. When I was a young lad we used to get a ride out here with a neighbour's daughter who was old enough to borrow the family station wagon and take us younger folk for an afternoon of swimming.

Ride33 006.jpg

Ride33 007.jpg

Ride33 008.jpg

At that time it was just a worked out gravel pit with nothing but fields around it.

North on Culloden Rd. brought us to the village of Verschoyle where we turned right to go east on Salford Rd.

Ride33 009.jpg
    continued........
    Chillis, chethro, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salford Rd goes past the Ontario Southland RR maintenance facility and crosses Plank Line (Hwy 19) at Salford.

Ride33 010.jpg

Ride33 011.jpg

Ride33 013.jpg

We stayed on Salford Rd. untill it joined Hwy 59 at Holbrook.

Ride33 014.jpg

Hwy 59 goes east at this point, through Burgessville and turns south for Norwich in a couple of miles.

Ride33 015.jpg

At the point where the highway turns south we continued east on New Durham Rd. over to New Durham and on to and through Harley.
    Ride33 016.jpg

Ride33 017.jpg

Ride33 018.jpg

Ride33 019.jpg

continued.......
    zookster, popscycle, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    New Durham Rd. becomes Harley Rd. and we stayed on it untill the junction of Hwy. 53 where we turned right to go into Burford for our first stop of the day. I wanted to check out some pallet racking that was in an auction sale today. Didn't buy any as the prices went stupid high. Seems like steel pallet racking is made of pure gold at the present time.

Ride33 020.jpg

We left Burford on Hwy. 53 east and after going through the hamlets of Bishopsgate and Mt. Vernon we turned left on Cleaver Rd. which took us up to Bethel Rd. where we turned east again over to Hwy 24/Rest Acres Rd. that took us into Paris for our lunch stop at Fry Days.

Ride33 021.jpg

Ride33 022.jpg

Ride33 023.jpg

After lunch the plan was to go to Cambridge for a brewery stop. We took East River Rd. north from Paris, through Glen Morris and up to where it joined Hwy. 24 to get us into Cambridge.

Ride33 024.jpg

Ride33 026.jpg

After threading our way through most of Cambridge we stopped on Laurel St. at Wavemaker Brewery and Distillery where I got half a dozen beers and two more glasses for my collection.

Ride33 027.jpg

Ride33 028.jpg

We left Cambridge on Fountain St. south which fed us onto Dickie Settlement Rd. at a new roundabout. This road lead us to Roseville Rd. where a right turn took us to and through Roseville and on to Trussler Rd.

Ride33 029.jpg

continued.......
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    South on Trussler brought us to Drumbo Rd. (Oxford Rd. 29) which we took into and through Drumbo and on to Innerkip.

Ride33 030.jpg

Ride33 031.jpg

Ride33 032.jpg

Oxford 29 turns into Oxford 4 in Innerkip and this took us down to the north side of Woodstock where we took Oxford 17 west to skirt the new development in the north end of town. This road goes through the Hamlet of Golspie and also through Cody's Corners where it turns into Rd. 74
    which goes over to Hwy 19. where we turned south to Thamesford.

Ride33 033.jpg

At Thamesford we turned south on the 15th Line to Gore Rd. over to Richmond St. and down into Dorchester.

Ride33 034.jpg

I stopped at Maurice's hose for a couple of these.

Ride33 035.jpg

Ride33 037.jpg

After I left Moe's I went south on Dorchester Rd. through Gladstone and Crossley-Hunter and on to home.

Ride33 038.jpg

Ride33 039.jpg

A good day out with nice roads, excellent weather and 250 km. (150miles) on the odometer and a tank of gas gone through. Thanks for coming along on our Ramble. Hope you enjoyed it....Dave
    zookster, popscycle, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you out and about...

I was reading in trip planning that Covid cases are on the uptick in your neck of the woods... then I read updates from CTV News Toronto to see what was up...

Tryin' to keep current on the border status and looks like no opening anytime soon... :(

Stay safe up there...

Rudy
    B10Dave and Chillis like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Rudy, things are a bit grim here right now. However there are large shipments of several vaccines due during the next few weeks and hopefully as more get vaccinated it will peak and go down again. Health officials are saying that all adults over 18 in Ontario will qualify for vaccination by the end of May. I have had the first Pfizer shot and hope the second will come in a timely manner with more shipments anticipated. Also watching the border but I think 2021 will be a washout as far as surface travel is concerned. You also stay safe down there......

Dave
    Chillis and black 8 like this.
  13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some reason, I'm craving hot dogs and fries right now lol.
    Chillis, B10Dave and chethro like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually a sausage and fries Admiral. Sharon ; who operates Fry Days, six days a week by herself, has great food at reasonable prices. We stop here whenever Paris is on the dance card for that day.
    chethro and Chillis like this.
  15. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @TheAdmiral wasn't the only one eyeing that tube steak. I looked at that and thought of how we used to boils bratwurst in a mixture of beer and onions, finish them off on the grill, put em in a bun or roll and then smother with onions - condiments (e.g., mustard, horseradish sauce, etc.) optional. Goes good with a cold beer or two.
    TheAdmiral, Chillis and B10Dave like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    May 14th. Weather good, check; bike ready, check; to do list (mostly) up to date, check; Time to ride? Yessssssss!!!!!!. I left home today on the R.E. and headed into Aylmer for fuel.
    Ride 34 001.jpg

Ride 34 002.jpg

Ride 34 003.jpg

After getting fuel I continued south through Aylmer, down past the new Malahide South firehall and into Copenhagen where I turned east onto Nova Scotia Line.

Ride 34 005.jpg

Ride 34 006.jpg

Ride 34 008.jpg

Ride 34 007.jpg

This road takes you past some of the Erie Shores wind farm complex. And also past the Can Am pepper growers and packers facility. When I was a young man this land held McConnel Nurseries, which at the time was one of the biggest growers of rose bushes in North America. They shipped rose bushes all over the world. Now the land grows sweet peppers for sale at grocery stores all over Ontario. The lower sliver of blue in the next picture is Lake Erie.

Ride 34 009.jpg

Ride 34 010.jpg

continued.....
    popscycle, Chillis, chethro and 2 others like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next pic shows two houses on the same farm. One from the late 1800's and the other from the early 1900's. Both have been well maintained and you can see where dormers have been added to the attic of the older home to give more usable space.

Ride 34 011.jpg

Just beyond these houses I cross the line between my township of Malahide and into Bayham which is the eastern most township in Elgin County.

Ride 34 012.jpg

Soon after that I rode into Port Burwell and down to the harbour to Martin's Fish Market where i bought 13 yellow perch fillets and 2 nice big pickerel fillets. They have their own fishing tug ( a fairly unique style of boat mostly found on the north side of Lake Erie) so the catch is always fresh.

Ride 34 013.jpg

Ride 34 014.jpg

Ride 34 015.jpg

Ride 34 016.jpg

Ride 34 018.jpg

Ride 34 019.jpg

Across the Big Otter Creek is the resting place of HMCS Ojibwa a Canadian Navy cold war era submarine that is open for tours.

Ride 34 020.jpg

continued.....
    popscycle, Chillis, chethro and 3 others like this.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I leave Port Burwell heading north on Plank Line (Hwy 19) and go to Glen Erie Line east. You have to do this to bypass the closed section of Lakeshore line that is east of Burwell. Erosion from the lake has made the road hazardous to traffic so it has been permanently closed between Stafford Rd. and Cty. Rd 55 which is the Elgin/Norfolk dividing line.

Ride 34 022.jpg

Ride 34 023.jpg

Where Cty. 55 rejoins Lakeshore Line there is a large asparagus field which is ready to start picking but the migrant labourors are just finishing their quarantine period after travelling up her from various Caribbean Countries. They will start picking on this farm tomorrow.

Ride 34 024.jpg

Ride 34 025.jpg

Ride 34 026.jpg

Immediately east of this intersection you enter Norfolk Cty.

Ride 34 028.jpg

A short ways further on I stopped at the Hemlock Cemetery. One of the people buried there was a veteran of the war of 1812.

Ride 34 029.jpg

Ride 34 030.jpg

Ride 34 031.jpg

continued......
    popscycle, Chillis, chethro and 2 others like this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next picture is on another farm where asparagus is being picked by workers who have finished their quarantine period. Local low German speaking Mennonites and migrant workers from the Caribbean make up the vast majority of farm labour in this area.

Ride 34 032.jpg

Lakeshore Rd. has quite a few cemeteries and I stopped at most of them. The Alton/Jacksonburg Cemetery sits between the road and the Sand Hills trailer resort. Directly west and beside the cemetery is a wind farm interpretation centre.

Ride 34 033.jpg

Ride 34 034.jpg

Ride 34 035.jpg

Ride 34 036.jpg

Ride 34 037.jpg

Less than a mile farther east I stopped at the Clear Creek Cemetery. This one has burials of War of 1812 veterans and some United Empire Loyalists who moved here from the USA after the War of Independence. These people remained loyal to Britain so they left and came north to Canada.

Ride 34 038.jpg

Ride 34 040.jpg

Ride 34 041.jpg

It's after midnight so I will continue this report some time tomorrow........
    popscycle, Chillis, chethro and 3 others like this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay; where were we. Just down the road from the cemetery is the "Historic" village of Clear Creek. There is little left here except the store and a couple of houses.

Ride 34 042.jpg

Beyond Clear Creek is the Houghton Baptist Church which is celebrating 180 years of worship this year.

Ride 34 043.jpg

The Lakeshore Road is part of the "Waterfront Trail" which runs along the north shore of Lake Erie and presents a pleasant undulating and sometimes quite curvy ride. In my opinion the best section for an afternoon ride is from Port Burwell over to Port Dover. It is also part of the "Toast the Coast Trail" and there are several wineries and 2 breweries on or close to the this route.

Ride 34 045.jpg

It is easy to see what was the inspiration for the house in the next pic.

Ride 34 046.jpg

As you go farther east you enter an area known as the Long Point Biosphere Reserve. This area encompasses Long Point itself; (google it. too much info to include here) and a large area of marshes and wetlands that have a very diverse population of birds, reptiles, mammals and fish.One such area is the Hahn Marsh in the Big Creek watershed. It is an active hunting marsh in the fall for migratory waterfowl. Today the only birds to see were two families of Canada geese.

Ride 34 047.jpg

Ride 34 049.jpg

Ride 34 050.jpg

The next waterfowl area was developed by a private individual named Lee Brown and then donated to the Long Point Region Conservation Authority.

Ride 34 053.jpg

Ride 34 055.jpg

Continued.........
    popscycle, chethro and Chillis like this.