1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Rural Road Rambling (Mostly but not exclusive to Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I continued east to Mabees Corners where I went south on Mabees Sideroad to Bostwick Rd. I followed this road east until it becomes Hazen Rd.

daytrip37 023.jpg

daytrip37 024.jpg

daytrip37 025.jpg

daytrip37 026.jpg

At Norfolk Road 21 I went left, past ginseng fields with their shade cloth covers and over to Andy's Corners at Hwy. 59.

daytrip37 027.jpg

daytrip37 028.jpg

I went south on Hwy. 59 through Langton and Walsingham and turned east on Concession 2 towards St. Williams. I passed the Backus Conservation Area and Historic mill but it is still closed to day visitors til sometime in June.

daytrip37 029.jpg

daytrip37 030.jpg

daytrip37 031.jpg
    At St. Williams I made a short jog south to turn east on Front Rd. and go to the overlook of the marshlands at Long Point Bay where I turned for home on last weeks ride.
    daytrip37 032.jpg

continued......
    black 8, Chillis, zookster and 3 others like this.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the observation point I continued east to Long Point Eco Adventures.

daytrip37 033.jpg

daytrip37 035.jpg

daytrip37 036.jpg

daytrip37 041.jpg

They have hiking and cycling trails, a rappel tower, ziplining, canopy tours and canoeing and kayaking in the marsh. There is also an observatory to look at the heavens at night. But more important to my stop it is also the site of Hometown Brewing where I picked up a six pack to take home. They have a bar and eating area there also but it won't fully reopen til sometime in June. The deck has a nice view of the marsh as well.

daytrip37 037.jpg

I continued east on Front Rd. to Normandale; site of one of the early bog iron furnaces in Ontario.

daytrip37 042.jpg

daytrip37 043.jpg

daytrip37 044.jpg

When you exit Normandale heading east there is a maple tree that was trained around a bicycle wheel when it was young and pliable and the wheel can still be seen embedded in the tree.
    daytrip37 045.jpg

From Normandale I continued on to Fisher's Glen where I will leave this narrative for tonight.

daytrip37 046.jpg

To be continued....
    black 8, Chillis, zookster and 3 others like this.
  3. olddude53

olddude53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NICE! Really like the pics of the R50.
    I wanted to buy either the bsa royal star or the R50 in 1970 but parents said a 500 was way to big for a first bike and $$$. At the time friends were on 90's to 175's. Ended up with the first new 1971 CB350 at the dealers.. Great choice and traveled all over ontario on it. Never did get a bmw
    B10Dave likes this.
  4. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Beemer is lookin good! :thumb
    B10Dave likes this.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went down the hill into and through Fisher's Glen and around the tight hairpin turn at the village exit. From there I stayed on Front road over to and through Port Ryerse. I then went north on Port Ryerse Road up past the Hay Creek Conservation Area dam and pond.

daytrip37 047.jpg

daytrip37 049.jpg

daytrip37 050.jpg

daytrip37 052.jpg

daytrip37 053.jpg

daytrip37 054.jpg

daytrip37 056.jpg

daytrip37 057.jpg

daytrip37 058.jpg

continued.........
    black 8, Chillis, zookster and 2 others like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I continued on Port Ryerse Rd. to St. John's Rd. where I turned west and over to the village of Walsh.

daytrip37 059.jpg

daytrip37 060.jpg

daytrip37 061.jpg

From Walsh I continued over to Charlotteville West Quarterline Rd. daytrip37 062.jpg

daytrip37 063.jpg

daytrip37 064.jpg
    Hmmm, what's that growing in the field across the road? Hops. Must be a brewery close. Yup. Charloteville Brewery is just around the corner. I stopped there as well to get a six pack to take home. Glad my hard bags are roomy!

daytrip37 065.jpg

When I left the brewery I continued north but within a couple of concessions I could see rain pouring down on the road ahead. I turned around, went back one concession and went west again to skirt around the shower. This took me over to Forestry Farm Rd. where I went north on the new pavement to Silver Hill.

daytrip37 066.jpg

At Silver Hill I had to turn west again to avoid more rain so I went to Hazen Rd. and took it north once more.
    daytrip37 068.jpg

continued......
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hazon Rd. becomes Bostwick Rd. and takes me back over Bell Mill Rd. to Maybee Sideroad and back up to Mabee's Corner.

daytrip37 069.jpg

daytrip37 070.jpg

daytrip37 071.jpg

daytrip37 072.jpg

daytrip37 073.jpg

At Mabee's Corner I turned west on Heritage line back through Guysborough, into Elgin County again and stopped for a picture at the Guysborough Cemetery. From there I just retraced my route back home.

daytrip37 074.jpg

daytrip37 075.jpg

daytrip37 077.jpg

daytrip37 079.jpg
    Great day for a ride. Went just shy of 100 miles all together. Thanks for tagging along.......Dave
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday June 6th was HOT! Low 90's but a great day for a ride to Bayfield for an "Un official" Bayfield Old Bike Day. Stay at home order has been recinded but gatherings of more than 5 people are still not allowed. That will ease off later this week but the Ontario Government; having just barely started recovery from the Covid Virus "third wave" is being cautious about reopening the economy and is doing it in three stages so as to not have a reoccurance. With more and more people vaccinated this time should be the end of restrictions. Anyway, here are some pics of bikes in Bayfield and the brewery we stopped at on the way home.

Ride38 003.jpg

Ride38 006.jpg

Ride38 007.jpg

Ride38 008.jpg

Ride38 009.jpg

Ride38 011.jpg

Ride38 013.jpg

Ride38 014.jpg

Ride38 015.jpg

Ride38 019.jpg

No road pics this time as we went the shortest, fastest and most boring route to get to Bayfield and it was too hot to be stopping in the full sun for pics. Next time>>. See you on my next ramble.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I decided to go for a short ride to Port Bruce and Port Stanley to see what progress is being made on the new abutments and movement of the temporary bridge from Pt. Bruce to the Sparta line location I showed in a previous post. I left home and went south on Dorchester Rd to College Line where a left took me over to Rogers Rd. A right there sent me south to a short jog at Hwy. 3 and continued journey south on Rogers Rd.

Ride 40 001.jpg

Ride 40 002.jpg

Ride 40 003.jpg

Ride 40 004.jpg

Rogers Rd. is at the west end of Aylmer and goes south to connect with John Wise Line ( Cty. Rd. 45)

Ride 40 005.jpg

Corn crop is looking good.

Ride 40 006.jpg

There is a resting bench and garbage container for bicyclists who frequent these lightly traveled roads and the township has erected a sign to give a bit of history about this road.

Ride 40 008.jpg

Ride 40 007.jpg

This area of Elgin County is part of the "Great Sand Plain" of southern Ontario and tobacco was once king of the crops. Most tobacco farmers no longer produce tobacco and the sandy land now produces many different vegetable crops. Since every tobacco farm has an irrigation pond the pumps and piping now irrigate the veggie crops.

Ride 40 009.jpg

Ride 40 010.jpg

continued......
    black 8, chethro and Chillis like this.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Continuing south on Rogers Rd. you find this field stone house at the corner of Catt Line.

Ride 40 011.jpg

And then you come to Pinecroft; a pottery/tea room/restaurant/bed & breakfast establishment that has been a popular destination since 1948. They have the main building and several cabins they rent out for the B&B.

Ride 40 012.jpg

Ride 40 013.jpg

Ride 40 015.jpg

Further south I passed migrant workers picking strawberries for the Howes family market garden operation.

Ride 40 016.jpg

Their store and greenhouses are around the corner on Cty. Rd. 45.

Ride 40 017.jpg

East on 45 brings me to Imperial Rd. where I turn right past the new Malahide South fire hall and go down through Copenhagen to Port Bruce.

Ride 40 018.jpg

Ride 40 019.jpg

Ride 40 020.jpg

Ride 40 021.jpg

continued.......
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imperial Rd where it enters Port Bruce comes down a steep curving hill and then sweeps left over the new bridge. I turned after the new bridge to check the status of the temporary one. Nothing changed yet.

Ride 40 023.jpg

Ride 40 024.jpg

Ride 40 025.jpg

Ride 40 027.jpg

After checking the bridge I left Port Bruce on Rush Creek Line to head over to the sight where this bridge will be moved to and set in place permanently. Rush Creek Line is a nice curvy quiet road that brings me out to Jamestown Line where I go down the hill to the old iron Jamestown Line Bridge. It was one of the bridges in the running to be replaced with the temperary Pt. Bruce bridge but as it does not get the traffic the Sparta Line bridge gets it was passed over. Jamestown line is not maintained south of the bridge in the winter and I expect when this bridge needs more expensive repairs it will be closed permanently.

Ride 40 028.jpg

Ride 40 029.jpg

Ride 40 030.jpg

Ride 40 031.jpg

Ride 40 032.jpg

Ride 40 033.jpg

continued......
    chethro, popscycle and Chillis like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stopped for a couple of pictures at the bridge and them continued west on Jamestown Line. After it goes up a steep hill and a couple of curves it turns to gravel.

Ride 40 034.jpg

Ride 40 035.jpg

Ride 40 036.jpg

Next three pics are looking ahead to the hill and then looking back and up
    at the halfway point of the hill.

Ride 40 037.jpg

Ride 40 038.jpg

Ride 40 039.jpg

Ride 40 040.jpg

This barn has not seen livestock for many years.

Ride 40 041.jpg

At the intersection of Roberts Line I turn left and head west towards where the bridge will be placed at the intersection of Roberts Line, Sparta Line and Kettle Creek.

Ride 40 042.jpg

Ride 40 044.jpg

continued.....
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the site where Roberts Line; Kettle Creek and Sparta Line come together they are preparing to pour new bridge abutments around and over the existing ones which are being left in place.

Ride 40 045.jpg

Ride 40 046.jpg

Since the road is closed I have to retrace my route back to Sunset Rd. (Hwy. 4) and head north towards St. Thomas. There were three buzzards feasting on a rotting corpse ( one flew away just as I took the pic) as I neared Hwy. 4.

Ride 40 047.jpg

On the way into St Thomas I went through the village of Union and then a little further on passed by the former Provincial Psychiatric Hospital. It was commandeered during the second world war to become a training school for ground crew for the various air forces of the Allies. It is now closed ( and has been used as a movie location shoot several times ) and was replaced with the new Provincial Forensic Psychiatric Facility built just to the north.

Ride 40 050.jpg

Ride 40 054.jpg

Ride 40 055.jpg

Ride 40 056.jpg

Ride 40 057.jpg

Once into St Thomas proper I went by Memorial Arena where I will be going tomorrow for my second dose of Pfizor vaccine for the covid 19 virus that we all wish would just disappear.

Ride 40 058.jpg

Next door to this building is the St Thomas Armoury which is the headquarters of the 31st. Combat Engineers Regiment. ( Known as the Elgin Regiment; this is the regiment both my grandfather and my dad's cousin served with in WW 2. My Dad served with the RCAF as a gunnery instructor.)

Ride 40 059.jpg

continued....
    black 8, TheAdmiral, chethro and 2 others like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left St. Thomas heading east via Edgeware Rd. over to Belmont Rd. and beyond to Springwater Rd. where I turned north to Kingsmill and on to Kingsmill Corner. I continued north to a "T" junction with Mapleton Line where I turned right and rode a couple of hundred yards and turned right on Dorchester Rd. and into my laneway.

Ride 40 071.jpg

Ride 40 072.jpg

Ride 40 073.jpg

Ride 40 074.jpg

Ride 40 079.jpg

Ride 40 080.jpg

Great day for a ride. Hope you enjoyed it. See you next time.......Dave