Rural Road Rambling (Mostly but not exclusive to Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stopped for a couple of pictures at the bridge and them continued west on Jamestown Line. After it goes up a steep hill and a couple of curves it turns to gravel.

Ride 40 034.jpg

Ride 40 035.jpg

Ride 40 036.jpg

Next three pics are looking ahead to the hill and then looking back and up
    at the halfway point of the hill.

Ride 40 037.jpg

Ride 40 038.jpg

Ride 40 039.jpg

Ride 40 040.jpg

This barn has not seen livestock for many years.

Ride 40 041.jpg

At the intersection of Roberts Line I turn left and head west towards where the bridge will be placed at the intersection of Roberts Line, Sparta Line and Kettle Creek.

Ride 40 042.jpg

Ride 40 044.jpg

continued.....
    klaviator, gpfan, zookster and 4 others like this.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the site where Roberts Line; Kettle Creek and Sparta Line come together they are preparing to pour new bridge abutments around and over the existing ones which are being left in place.

Ride 40 045.jpg

Ride 40 046.jpg

Since the road is closed I have to retrace my route back to Sunset Rd. (Hwy. 4) and head north towards St. Thomas. There were three buzzards feasting on a rotting corpse ( one flew away just as I took the pic) as I neared Hwy. 4.

Ride 40 047.jpg

On the way into St Thomas I went through the village of Union and then a little further on passed by the former Provincial Psychiatric Hospital. It was commandeered during the second world war to become a training school for ground crew for the various air forces of the Allies. It is now closed ( and has been used as a movie location shoot several times ) and was replaced with the new Provincial Forensic Psychiatric Facility built just to the north.

Ride 40 050.jpg

Ride 40 054.jpg

Ride 40 055.jpg

Ride 40 056.jpg

Ride 40 057.jpg

Once into St Thomas proper I went by Memorial Arena where I will be going tomorrow for my second dose of Pfizor vaccine for the covid 19 virus that we all wish would just disappear.

Ride 40 058.jpg

Next door to this building is the St Thomas Armoury which is the headquarters of the 31st. Combat Engineers Regiment. ( Known as the Elgin Regiment; this is the regiment both my grandfather and my dad's cousin served with in WW 2. My Dad served with the RCAF as a gunnery instructor.)

Ride 40 059.jpg

continued....
    klaviator, gpfan, zookster and 5 others like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left St. Thomas heading east via Edgeware Rd. over to Belmont Rd. and beyond to Springwater Rd. where I turned north to Kingsmill and on to Kingsmill Corner. I continued north to a "T" junction with Mapleton Line where I turned right and rode a couple of hundred yards and turned right on Dorchester Rd. and into my laneway.

Ride 40 071.jpg

Ride 40 072.jpg

Ride 40 073.jpg

Ride 40 074.jpg

Ride 40 079.jpg

Ride 40 080.jpg

Great day for a ride. Hope you enjoyed it. See you next time.......Dave
    klaviator, gpfan, zookster and 4 others like this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today, July 5th. I pulled the R.E. twin out of the garage for a ride. At 2 pm it was 80 degrees in the shade inside the garage. Hotter outside. The soy beans in the field beside my driveway are looking good. They have had lots of heat and last Friday we got 3 1/2 in. of rain followed by another 2 1/2 in. on Saturday.

Day trip ride 41 001.jpg

Day trip ride 41 002.jpg

I went south through Aylmer with a stop to top up my fuel. At John Wise Line I turned west and went over to Jaffa and turned south on Springwater Rd.

Day trip ride 41 003.jpg

Corn and beans looking good here as well and I expect there will be a combine in the wheat field within a week or so.

Day trip ride 41 004.jpg

Day trip ride 41 006.jpg

From Jaffa I went south and turned onto one of my favourite roads when I only have time for a short ride. Pleasant Valley Line has it all in a short 4 mile stretch. Hills, curves and a bridge over a creek make it interesting riding.

Day trip ride 41 010.jpg

Day trip ride 41 011.jpg

Day trip ride 41 012.jpg

Day trip ride 41 013.jpg

continued.........
    klaviator, gpfan, chethro and 2 others like this.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the corner of Pleasant Valley Line and Quaker Rd. there was a landmark type house. No more!!!!! Someone from the city probably bought the property to build their dream home in the country. Wouldn't do to live in a 150 year old house don't you know!

Day trip ride 41 014.jpg

I turned left and went to Sparta where I went right to go over to Union. The county was having the road milled and then relaid in place with new "binder" added to the millings as they were put back in place. A lot of roads around here get "recycled" this way. At Union I turned south on Stone Church Line and passed the building the road is named for.

Day trip ride 41 015.jpg

Day trip ride 41 016.jpg

Day trip ride 41 017.jpg

Day trip ride 41 018.jpg

At Roberts Line I went west to the site where the temporary bridge from Port Bruce will be moved to. The abutments are coming along well and the bridge should be moved later this month.

Day trip ride 41 020.jpg

Day trip ride 41 021.jpg

Day trip ride 41 022.jpg

Day trip ride 41 023.jpg

continued......
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I retraced my route back past the PSTR tracks to Sunset Dr. and went south into Port Stanley.

Day trip ride 41 024.jpg

Day trip ride 41 025.jpg

Day trip ride 41 026.jpg

The Port Stanley Terminal Railroad has reopened their tourist train operation for the first time in 18 months. The main beach in Port was busy today.

Day trip ride 41 028.jpg

The rail yard and tracks through the bridge over Kettle Creek will now be busy again on the weekends.

Day trip ride 41 032.jpg

Day trip ride 41 033.jpg

The pleasure boats have all the marina dock space taken and on the commercial side of the harbour there are as many as 10 fish tugs calling Port Stanley home. Also today the two masted sloop "Playfair" out of Hamilton was docked in Port.

Day trip ride 41 034.jpg

Day trip ride 41 035.jpg

Day trip ride 41 037.jpg

continued.....
    klaviator, gpfan, TheAdmiral and 2 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The beach on the east side of the harbour, known as Little Beach was also busy today.

Day trip ride 41 039.jpg

Day trip ride 41 040.jpg

I left Port Stanley on the Dexter Line and headed over towards Port Bruce. On the way I stopped for my first sweet corn of the season at a roadside stand.

Day trip ride 41 041.jpg

Day trip ride 41 042.jpg

In Port Bruce I went to the renovated pier at the mouth of Catfish Creek to check out the fishers and the wave action against the pier.

Day trip ride 41 043.jpg

Day trip ride 41 044.jpg

Day trip ride 41 045.jpg

Day trip ride 41 047.jpg

Day trip ride 41 048.jpg

The beach in Port Bruce is a Provincial day use park and is usually busy on weekends but not on this fine Monday. It is not as sandy as Port Stanley but that doesn't seem to deter the sun seekers.

Day trip ride 41 050.jpg

continued......
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 3064623 It was very hazy over Lake Erie today and the water was restless because of an onshore breeze.

Day trip ride 41 049.jpg

Day trip ride 41 051.jpg

Day trip ride 41 056.jpg

There is constant erosion along most of the Lake Erie north shore and some of the road between Port Stanley and Port Bruce was moved several hundred feet north a few years ago to prevent it's eventual demise to the constant wave action erosion taking place. There is a section of road further east past Port Burwell that is permanently closed because it is compromised by the erosion.

Day trip ride 41 057.jpg

I left Port Bruce and went up through Copenhagon and turned east on the Calton Line. I stopped for a picture in front of the Dunboyne Church and Cemetery and then continued east through Mount Salem and on to Calton.

Day trip ride 41 058.jpg

Day trip ride 41 059.jpg

Day trip ride 41 060.jpg

At the west edge of Calton there is a junk yard which has been the scene of several large fires over the past 10 or so years. Earlier this spring there was another one which hopefully has put them out of business permanently. There is only some charred scrap metal left this time. The volunteer fire fighters had a drone in the air during the fire to look for hot spots to direct the water to. It was up about 75 feet and exploding drums of some sort of volatile compounds were going straight up in the air and passing in front of the drones camera.

Day trip ride 41 061.jpg

Day trip ride 41 062.jpg
    continued.....
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day trip ride 41 063.jpg

Day trip ride 41 064.jpg

You can see an air compressor and lathe in the last picture. They must have been inside a shop of some sort. Before the fire the junk and used wood and other stuff was piled so high and densely that you could not even see a building from the road. I have been past this yard hundreds of times and did not know there was a building in it. Just before the main intersection in Calton there were migrant workers hoeing weeds in a cucumber crop.Farmers around here would be in big trouble without these Mexican and Carribean workers coming each year as the locals are not interested in doing the manual labour required to grow and harvest vegetables. I left Calton going north on the Richmond road. It is very curvy and hilly but I have posted pics of it many times before. This time I stopped only once at the first bridge to take 3 pics and then continued a most pleasant ride.

Day trip ride 41 065.jpg

Day trip ride 41 066.jpg

Day trip ride 41 067.jpg

Those were the last pictures I took today and when I got to Richmond I turned left on Heritage Line and headed for the barn. Hope you enjoyed going along on today's ramble. Til the next time.........
    klaviator, gpfan, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I met my riding partner Maurice at our usual spot on Dingman Dr. He was on his brand new Royal Enfield twin so now we have a pair.

Day trip 42 001.jpg

Day trip 42 002.jpg

We rode across the southern edge of London and picked up Longwoods Road in Lambeth. Longwoods Road took us through Delaware, Melbourne and Wardsville to Thamesville where we turned south across the Thames river.

Day trip 42 004.jpg

Day trip 42 005.jpg

Day trip 42 006.jpg

Day trip 42 007.jpg

As soon as we crossed the bridge we turned on Magnavilla Line for a short block and then made a right on River Line. A couple of hundred yards up this road it crosses the main CNR line between Toronto and Windsor. There is a railroad bridge immediately east of the road crossing so I stopped for a picture. I had crossed the tracks and got my camera out. I told Maurice that he might not want to park under the gate.

Day trip 42 009.jpg

I had taken a look down the tracks and seen this coming.

Day trip 42 010.jpg

Day trip 42 011.jpg

They run locomotives on both ends of the passenger trains on this stretch because there is no easy place to turn the train for the return trip from Windsor.

Day trip 42 012.jpg

continued...........
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    River line is a nice curvy small road with no centre line which winds it's way down the river to Chatham.

Day trip 42 014.jpg

Day trip 42 015.jpg

Day trip 42 016.jpg

Day trip 42 017.jpg

Day trip 42 018.jpg

At Chatham we turned north on Communication Rd./Prince Albert Rd. and then took McNaughton Ave. across the north end of the city to Hwy 40 which we took to Wallaceburg. In Wallaceburg we went west again towards the Walpole Island First Nations Territory. Just before that we stopped for lunch at the Big Chief drive in. This place has been in business since 1957.

Day trip 42 019.jpg

Day trip 42 020.jpg

We both ordered the Sunday burger special. This was a double bacon cheeseburger with fries; onion rings, deep fried mushrooms and coleslaw. No pictures as I was too busy eating. Excellent burger with fresh made patties. I will stop here again. From our lunch stop we turned north on the St. Clair Parkway which take us through Port Lambton, Sombra, and into Courtright where we stopped to stretch and use the little yellow plastic building in Waterfront Park.

Day trip 42 021.jpg

Day trip 42 022.jpg

Day trip 42 023.jpg

Continued..............
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day trip 42 024.jpg

Day trip 42 025.jpg

Day trip 42 026.jpg

The land you see on the other side of the river is the State of Michigan.

Day trip 42 027.jpg

From Courtright we continued north on the parkway through Mooretown and Corunna and the Aamjiwnaang First Nation territory.

Day trip 42 029.jpg

Day trip 42 030.jpg

Day trip 42 031.jpg

When we got to Churchill Rd. we went east across the top of the native territory to Indian Line where we turnd into the reserve to fill up with cheaper fuel. We then went north on Indian Line/road through the city of Sarnia and turned right on Lakeshore Road. This took us out through Bright's Grove, Camlachie, past Blue Point and Glendale Beach to west Ipperwash Rd. at the Kettle and Stony Point First Nations Territory. We went north towards Lake Huron and stopped at Sweet Bites for an ice cream. Mine was NOT the funny coloured one.

Day trip 42 034.jpg

Day trip 42 033.jpg

After the ice cream we returned back to Lakeshore Rd./Hwy 21 to continue along the lake through Ravenswood to Northville where we turned onto Hwy. 79 to go south through Thedford and on to Arkona.

Day trip 42 035.jpg

Continued.........
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day trip 42 036.jpg
    My family on my Father's side has a long history in the Arkona area. His mother's whole family; Father, Mother and seven children were brought over from England so my great grandfather could run the power plant at the dam on the Ausable River. Nothing is left of this now as it was removed to allow fish to come up river to spawn. The powerplant had by then been replaced by Hydro Electric power from the large generators along the Niagara river. My grand and great grand parents on his father's side also lived in Arkona. The Arkona Cemetery is rife with my ancestors and relatives.

We rode east on Townsend Line towards London where we went north of the city over to Thorndale and down to Dorchester to Maurices for a beer. Before Thorndale is a former farm which is now a gravel and sand extraction operation. The buildings are gone but all the old machinery that was in the drivesheds is now lawn art out near the road.

Day trip 42 037.jpg

Day trip 42 038.jpg

Day trip 42 039.jpg

When I left Maurice's I went south on Dorchester Rd. through Gladstone where Greeve's were combining their first wheat field of the season.

Day trip 42 040.jpg

Day trip 42 045.jpg

Day trip 42 046.jpg

South of Gladstone at Crossley-Hunter there is a 1964 Continental sitting beside the road. Not in too bad condition either.

Day trip 42 048.jpg

Day trip 42 049.jpg

Continued.......
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    After dodging the "free range" chickens in Crossley-Hunter I continued south to Home Sweet Home and parked in front of my shop beside the two bike trailer I just finished building this week.

Day trip 42 051.jpg

Day trip 42 052.jpg

Day trip 42 054.jpg

Day trip 42 055.jpg

Day trip 42 056.jpg

It was a good day out and my mileage was 429KM/255ish M. Hope you enjoyed this ramble. See you again down the road.
  15. chethro

chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    Nice pics as always B. :thumb

The Sit-n-Fly seat cover...is it made of cloth or a plastic type material? If it was touching a painted surface, do you think it would rub the paint off? I'm thinking of getting one for the TT, but I know it will be touching painted surfaces in spots.

I think it looks good on your Enfield. :nod She sure is looking nice!
    B10Dave likes this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chet; Sit & Fly is an Israeli company. Their seat covers are $27 U.S. to your mailbox. The product seems to be a good quality and it fit my seat perfectly. I like it because on hot days the air can circulate under your butt and if you leave the bike anywhere in the sun, although the seat itself gets hot the cover holds you above so you don't feel the heat. It appears to me to be some form of nylon..ish material. It is in contact with the paint on my tank and upper frame rails and so far does not seem to have marked it in any way. Only drawback as far as I am concerned..it took 4 weeks from ordering to delivery.That could have been the post office on his or my end. Who knows? Guy who runs the company is named Roey Azulai. He processed the order quickly; sent an emailed receipt immediately and emailed the tracking number as soon as he put it in the mail. I am glad I bought this cover. And just as a aside...I bought two because I knew my buddy Maurice was getting his R.E. so I let him ask all the questions when he saw my cover and then took one from my top box..tossed it to him and said "Merry Christmas"

cover 001.jpg

cover 002.jpg

cover 003.jpg

I shouldn't take close up flash pictures of my dirty bike.
    klaviator, popscycle, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today was the R50/5's turn.

Ride 43 001.jpg

Ride 43 002.jpg

I left home heading north at about 11:00 AM. Stopped for fuel at the Petro Can at Dorchester Rd. and the 401 Hwy. I continued on into Dorchester village and made some nostalgia stops. This is the house my parents had built for our family in the summer of 1957 and we moved in just before my 6th birthday. The garage and two bedroom addition was added in 1967. This was the second house built in Porters Subdivision and I watched all the other houses being built over the next year and a half.

Ride 43 003.jpg

Around the corner and half a mile west on Catherine St. is the house my wife and I bought in 1980. I had the shop built in 1983. The willow tree in the left of the picture was about 1 in. in diameter and 6 ft. tall when I planted it in 1981. The property slopes down to a little creek there and that tree is actually about 60 ft. tall.We moved from this house to a farm south of Dorchester in 1991.

Ride 43 004.jpg

Ride 43 005.jpg

From my old house I went north on Shaw Sideroad. It was a gravel road in 1957 when we moved to Dorchester. The building in the next picture was a brand new two room school which opened for the second school day of September 1957. On the first day we went to the old 1 room school around the corner. The original building is incorporated into the existing building. Originally flat roofed it is the part with the slightly sloping red metal roof and windows facing the road. This building is now a factory where rolls of steel sheet are made into steel roofing panels. Samples of their product can be seen on the little structure on the left in the picture.

Ride 43 007.jpg

I continued north to Hwy. 2 where I went east for a couple of hundred yards and then turned north again on Fairview Rd. to head up to the village of Thorndale. This village is in the middle of a building boom. A new subdivision and public school were built on the west end over a couple of year period and now there is construction of houses on the south and southwest ends of the village. Also the old community centre was replaced last year with the new one shown. And on the north east end of the village there is land being prepared for another subdivision. Topsoil is stripped and roads and services will be in place by later this summer

Ride 43 008.jpg

Ride 43 009.jpg

Ride 43 011.jpg

Ride 43 014.jpg

continued.......
    N-Id-Jim, klaviator, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I continued north on Fairview up to Hwy 7. The last 2 mile stretch north of Plover Mills Rd. is gravel but I don't mind riding it when I am alone. Most of my riding friends won't ride gravel at all.

Ride 43 015.jpg

Ride 43 016.jpg

Ride 43 017.jpg

Cherry Grove is the only hamlet in this area I am aware of that is still only served by gravel roads entirely.

Ride 43 018.jpg

Ride 43 019.jpg

Ride 43 020.jpg

Ride 43 021.jpg

When I got to Hwy. 7 I turned west to go across the Thames River bridge and turn right on Whalen Line. This took me to Hwy.4 where I turned north to go to Exeter.

Ride 43 022.jpg

Ride 43 023.jpg

Ride 43 024.jpg

Since it is after midnight here I will leave the rest of this report until tomorrow.
    continued...............
    N-Id-Jim, klaviator, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Exeter there is a power sports dealer. They carry the Argo line of go anywhere vehicles. Argo are now selling the Russian made "Sherp" vehicles. They literally go anywhere. They float and have a prop shaft and prop to help them move in the water. Only $167,000 per vehicle!!!!!!

Ride 43 025.jpg

I continued on up 4 Hwy. through Hensall to Brucefield where I went west towards Varna and Bayfield. At Varna they were combining wheat on the right side of the road and putting it in storage at Varna Grain on the other side of the road.

Ride 43 026.jpg

Ride 43 027.jpg

Ride 43 028.jpg

Ride 43 029.jpg

Ride 43 030.jpg

At Bayfield I stopped for lunch at the Woodland Drive-In. Nice spot with picnic tables out back. Food was just okay; not great.

Ride 43 031.jpg

Ride 43 032.jpg

Ride 43 033.jpg

Ride 43 034.jpg

More later today.

continued.............
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Bayfield I headed south on Hwy. 21 the Bluewater Hwy. towards Grand Bend. I made a stop at Bad Apple Brewing for a six pack to take home.

Ride 43 035.jpg

I continued south towards St. Joseph and Grand Bend.

Ride 43 037.jpg

Ride 43 038.jpg

Grand Bend is a seasonal beach town on the east shore of Lake Huron. Covid took a toll on their season last year but the beach is open again this year and the businesses seem to be bouncing back this year. It was busy on the main drag this Friday afternoon.

Ride 43 039.jpg

Ride 43 040.jpg

Traffic was too busy to stop for any pics other than the ones I took at the start and end of the 6 block main street. Parking lots were full and the beach was very busy. From Grand Bend I went south on Hwy. 81 to the Parkhill Conservation Area and dam. The parking lot conveniently had a little blue plastic building that my lunchtime soda had me needing.I took a few pics and had a nice hike and stretch here.

Ride 43 042.jpg

Ride 43 044.jpg

Ride 43 043.jpg

Ride 43 048.jpg

Ride 43 049.jpg

continued.......
    N-Id-Jim, klaviator, black 8 and 5 others like this.