Rural Road Rambling (Mostly but not exclusive to Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I met my riding partner Maurice at our usual spot on Dingman Dr. He was on his brand new Royal Enfield twin so now we have a pair.

Day trip 42 001.jpg

Day trip 42 002.jpg

We rode across the southern edge of London and picked up Longwoods Road in Lambeth. Longwoods Road took us through Delaware, Melbourne and Wardsville to Thamesville where we turned south across the Thames river.

Day trip 42 004.jpg

Day trip 42 005.jpg

Day trip 42 006.jpg

Day trip 42 007.jpg

As soon as we crossed the bridge we turned on Magnavilla Line for a short block and then made a right on River Line. A couple of hundred yards up this road it crosses the main CNR line between Toronto and Windsor. There is a railroad bridge immediately east of the road crossing so I stopped for a picture. I had crossed the tracks and got my camera out. I told Maurice that he might not want to park under the gate.

Day trip 42 009.jpg

I had taken a look down the tracks and seen this coming.

Day trip 42 010.jpg

Day trip 42 011.jpg

They run locomotives on both ends of the passenger trains on this stretch because there is no easy place to turn the train for the return trip from Windsor.

Day trip 42 012.jpg

continued...........
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    River line is a nice curvy small road with no centre line which winds it's way down the river to Chatham.

Day trip 42 014.jpg

Day trip 42 015.jpg

Day trip 42 016.jpg

Day trip 42 017.jpg

Day trip 42 018.jpg

At Chatham we turned north on Communication Rd./Prince Albert Rd. and then took McNaughton Ave. across the north end of the city to Hwy 40 which we took to Wallaceburg. In Wallaceburg we went west again towards the Walpole Island First Nations Territory. Just before that we stopped for lunch at the Big Chief drive in. This place has been in business since 1957.

Day trip 42 019.jpg

Day trip 42 020.jpg

We both ordered the Sunday burger special. This was a double bacon cheeseburger with fries; onion rings, deep fried mushrooms and coleslaw. No pictures as I was too busy eating. Excellent burger with fresh made patties. I will stop here again. From our lunch stop we turned north on the St. Clair Parkway which take us through Port Lambton, Sombra, and into Courtright where we stopped to stretch and use the little yellow plastic building in Waterfront Park.

Day trip 42 021.jpg

Day trip 42 022.jpg

Day trip 42 023.jpg

Continued..............
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day trip 42 024.jpg

Day trip 42 025.jpg

Day trip 42 026.jpg

The land you see on the other side of the river is the State of Michigan.

Day trip 42 027.jpg

From Courtright we continued north on the parkway through Mooretown and Corunna and the Aamjiwnaang First Nation territory.

Day trip 42 029.jpg

Day trip 42 030.jpg

Day trip 42 031.jpg

When we got to Churchill Rd. we went east across the top of the native territory to Indian Line where we turnd into the reserve to fill up with cheaper fuel. We then went north on Indian Line/road through the city of Sarnia and turned right on Lakeshore Road. This took us out through Bright's Grove, Camlachie, past Blue Point and Glendale Beach to west Ipperwash Rd. at the Kettle and Stony Point First Nations Territory. We went north towards Lake Huron and stopped at Sweet Bites for an ice cream. Mine was NOT the funny coloured one.

Day trip 42 034.jpg

Day trip 42 033.jpg

After the ice cream we returned back to Lakeshore Rd./Hwy 21 to continue along the lake through Ravenswood to Northville where we turned onto Hwy. 79 to go south through Thedford and on to Arkona.

Day trip 42 035.jpg

Continued.........
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day trip 42 036.jpg
    My family on my Father's side has a long history in the Arkona area. His mother's whole family; Father, Mother and seven children were brought over from England so my great grandfather could run the power plant at the dam on the Ausable River. Nothing is left of this now as it was removed to allow fish to come up river to spawn. The powerplant had by then been replaced by Hydro Electric power from the large generators along the Niagara river. My grand and great grand parents on his father's side also lived in Arkona. The Arkona Cemetery is rife with my ancestors and relatives.

We rode east on Townsend Line towards London where we went north of the city over to Thorndale and down to Dorchester to Maurices for a beer. Before Thorndale is a former farm which is now a gravel and sand extraction operation. The buildings are gone but all the old machinery that was in the drivesheds is now lawn art out near the road.

Day trip 42 037.jpg

Day trip 42 038.jpg

Day trip 42 039.jpg

When I left Maurice's I went south on Dorchester Rd. through Gladstone where Greeve's were combining their first wheat field of the season.

Day trip 42 040.jpg

Day trip 42 045.jpg

Day trip 42 046.jpg

South of Gladstone at Crossley-Hunter there is a 1964 Continental sitting beside the road. Not in too bad condition either.

Day trip 42 048.jpg

Day trip 42 049.jpg

Continued.......
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    After dodging the "free range" chickens in Crossley-Hunter I continued south to Home Sweet Home and parked in front of my shop beside the two bike trailer I just finished building this week.

Day trip 42 051.jpg

Day trip 42 052.jpg

Day trip 42 054.jpg

Day trip 42 055.jpg

Day trip 42 056.jpg

It was a good day out and my mileage was 429KM/255ish M. Hope you enjoyed this ramble. See you again down the road.
  6. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics as always B. :thumb

The Sit-n-Fly seat cover...is it made of cloth or a plastic type material? If it was touching a painted surface, do you think it would rub the paint off? I'm thinking of getting one for the TT, but I know it will be touching painted surfaces in spots.

I think it looks good on your Enfield. :nod She sure is looking nice!
    B10Dave likes this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chet; Sit & Fly is an Israeli company. Their seat covers are $27 U.S. to your mailbox. The product seems to be a good quality and it fit my seat perfectly. I like it because on hot days the air can circulate under your butt and if you leave the bike anywhere in the sun, although the seat itself gets hot the cover holds you above so you don't feel the heat. It appears to me to be some form of nylon..ish material. It is in contact with the paint on my tank and upper frame rails and so far does not seem to have marked it in any way. Only drawback as far as I am concerned..it took 4 weeks from ordering to delivery.That could have been the post office on his or my end. Who knows? Guy who runs the company is named Roey Azulai. He processed the order quickly; sent an emailed receipt immediately and emailed the tracking number as soon as he put it in the mail. I am glad I bought this cover. And just as a aside...I bought two because I knew my buddy Maurice was getting his R.E. so I let him ask all the questions when he saw my cover and then took one from my top box..tossed it to him and said "Merry Christmas"

cover 001.jpg

cover 002.jpg

cover 003.jpg

I shouldn't take close up flash pictures of my dirty bike.
    klaviator, popscycle, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today was the R50/5's turn.

Ride 43 001.jpg

Ride 43 002.jpg

I left home heading north at about 11:00 AM. Stopped for fuel at the Petro Can at Dorchester Rd. and the 401 Hwy. I continued on into Dorchester village and made some nostalgia stops. This is the house my parents had built for our family in the summer of 1957 and we moved in just before my 6th birthday. The garage and two bedroom addition was added in 1967. This was the second house built in Porters Subdivision and I watched all the other houses being built over the next year and a half.

Ride 43 003.jpg

Around the corner and half a mile west on Catherine St. is the house my wife and I bought in 1980. I had the shop built in 1983. The willow tree in the left of the picture was about 1 in. in diameter and 6 ft. tall when I planted it in 1981. The property slopes down to a little creek there and that tree is actually about 60 ft. tall.We moved from this house to a farm south of Dorchester in 1991.

Ride 43 004.jpg

Ride 43 005.jpg

From my old house I went north on Shaw Sideroad. It was a gravel road in 1957 when we moved to Dorchester. The building in the next picture was a brand new two room school which opened for the second school day of September 1957. On the first day we went to the old 1 room school around the corner. The original building is incorporated into the existing building. Originally flat roofed it is the part with the slightly sloping red metal roof and windows facing the road. This building is now a factory where rolls of steel sheet are made into steel roofing panels. Samples of their product can be seen on the little structure on the left in the picture.

Ride 43 007.jpg

I continued north to Hwy. 2 where I went east for a couple of hundred yards and then turned north again on Fairview Rd. to head up to the village of Thorndale. This village is in the middle of a building boom. A new subdivision and public school were built on the west end over a couple of year period and now there is construction of houses on the south and southwest ends of the village. Also the old community centre was replaced last year with the new one shown. And on the north east end of the village there is land being prepared for another subdivision. Topsoil is stripped and roads and services will be in place by later this summer

Ride 43 008.jpg

Ride 43 009.jpg

Ride 43 011.jpg

Ride 43 014.jpg

continued.......
    N-Id-Jim, klaviator, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I continued north on Fairview up to Hwy 7. The last 2 mile stretch north of Plover Mills Rd. is gravel but I don't mind riding it when I am alone. Most of my riding friends won't ride gravel at all.

Ride 43 015.jpg

Ride 43 016.jpg

Ride 43 017.jpg

Cherry Grove is the only hamlet in this area I am aware of that is still only served by gravel roads entirely.

Ride 43 018.jpg

Ride 43 019.jpg

Ride 43 020.jpg

Ride 43 021.jpg

When I got to Hwy. 7 I turned west to go across the Thames River bridge and turn right on Whalen Line. This took me to Hwy.4 where I turned north to go to Exeter.

Ride 43 022.jpg

Ride 43 023.jpg

Ride 43 024.jpg

Since it is after midnight here I will leave the rest of this report until tomorrow.
    continued...............
    N-Id-Jim, klaviator, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Exeter there is a power sports dealer. They carry the Argo line of go anywhere vehicles. Argo are now selling the Russian made "Sherp" vehicles. They literally go anywhere. They float and have a prop shaft and prop to help them move in the water. Only $167,000 per vehicle!!!!!!

Ride 43 025.jpg

I continued on up 4 Hwy. through Hensall to Brucefield where I went west towards Varna and Bayfield. At Varna they were combining wheat on the right side of the road and putting it in storage at Varna Grain on the other side of the road.

Ride 43 026.jpg

Ride 43 027.jpg

Ride 43 028.jpg

Ride 43 029.jpg

Ride 43 030.jpg

At Bayfield I stopped for lunch at the Woodland Drive-In. Nice spot with picnic tables out back. Food was just okay; not great.

Ride 43 031.jpg

Ride 43 032.jpg

Ride 43 033.jpg

Ride 43 034.jpg

More later today.

continued.............
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Bayfield I headed south on Hwy. 21 the Bluewater Hwy. towards Grand Bend. I made a stop at Bad Apple Brewing for a six pack to take home.

Ride 43 035.jpg

I continued south towards St. Joseph and Grand Bend.

Ride 43 037.jpg

Ride 43 038.jpg

Grand Bend is a seasonal beach town on the east shore of Lake Huron. Covid took a toll on their season last year but the beach is open again this year and the businesses seem to be bouncing back this year. It was busy on the main drag this Friday afternoon.

Ride 43 039.jpg

Ride 43 040.jpg

Traffic was too busy to stop for any pics other than the ones I took at the start and end of the 6 block main street. Parking lots were full and the beach was very busy. From Grand Bend I went south on Hwy. 81 to the Parkhill Conservation Area and dam. The parking lot conveniently had a little blue plastic building that my lunchtime soda had me needing.I took a few pics and had a nice hike and stretch here.

Ride 43 042.jpg

Ride 43 044.jpg

Ride 43 043.jpg

Ride 43 048.jpg

Ride 43 049.jpg

continued.......
    N-Id-Jim, klaviator, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I continued into the Town Of Parkhill proper and took a few pics downtown.

Ride 43 050.jpg

Ride 43 051.jpg

Ride 43 052.jpg

Ride 43 053.jpg

Ride 43 054.jpg

The mural in the next pic had a little "key insert" near the bottom to tell you what the buildings etc. were in Parkhill circa 1900.

Ride 43 055.jpg

Ride 43 057.jpg

From Parkhill I continued south on 81 to and through Strathroy and Mount Brydges.

Ride 43 058.jpg

Ride 43 059.jpg

Ride 43 060.jpg

Continued.......
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hwy. 81 ends with a T junction with Hwy 2 (Longwoods Rd.) where I turned left and headed east over the Thames River and into Delaware.

Ride 43 061.jpg

Ride 43 062.jpg

Ride 43 063.jpg

Ride 43 064.jpg

From Delaware I continued east to Lambeth and turned south on Hwy. 4. After passing over hwys 402 and 401 I passed the site of the former Ford Talbotville assembly plant. It produced Ford vehicles from 1967 til 2011 and was torn down in 2015. The site was vacant from then til last month when it was sold to Brocollini Construction and Development Co. They are building a new Amazon "fullfillment centre" and will also be developing the rest of the 600 acre site with as yet unknown uses.

Ride 43 066.jpg

Ride 43 067.jpg

Ride 43 068.jpg

Ride 43 069.jpg

I took Clinton Line across the south side of the former Ford property to Wonderland Rd. and on to Ron McNeil Line to head east across the north edge of St Thomas.

Ride 43 070.jpg

Ride 43 071.jpg

Continued.......
    klaviator, black 8, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I got to Belmont Rd./Hwy 74 there was a helicopter spraying insecticide on the commercial sweet corn crop on Doug MacVicar's farm. I took some pics as best I could of the moving target and in the wrong position relative to the sun and then continued east into my home township.

Ride 43 072.jpg

Ride 43 073.jpg

Ride 43 076.jpg

Ride 43 077.jpg

When I got around the curve I found the tender tank truck for the helicopter sitting in a harvested wheat field.

Ride 43 078.jpg

I stopped and asked the guy in the back how long it takes before the copter returns to refill. He told me there were two copters working in the area and one or the other would be back every 15 minutes or so. He showed me the flight path they were taking so I went back up on the road and stopped a bit west of the truck and with the sun behind me. At this point I thought the copters were landing in the field and refilling. I was wrong. The pics will tell the story.

Ride 43 083.jpg

Ride 43 084.jpg

Ride 43 085.jpg

Ride 43 086.jpg

Ride 43 088.jpg

Once landed on top of the truck the guy inside comes out the top through a hatch and fills the spray tank. Whole operation takes about 5 minutes. I thought it would take a bit longer so I had put my camera away and prepared to continue home. I missed a shot of him taking off again.
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I entered my home community of Kingsmill Corner and took a couple of shots of the local "traffic jambs" and then went north on Dorchester Rd. to home.

Ride 43 090.jpg

Ride 43 091.jpg

Ride 43 092.jpg

Hope you enjoye this ramble . I will see you next time..
  16. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, I don't suppose there's any chance you could take one of those Sherps on a test drive and give us a RR. :D
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could John. They look like a huge amount of fun toy. There are some videos on YouTube featuring Sherps. Very interesting.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is pretty neat.
    [​IMG]
    So is this. I need one of these with a snow blade where I live.
    [​IMG]
    Chillis, B10Dave and N-Id-Jim like this.
  19. napster

napster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a bit of Canadiana. expat here from S. ON. I visit every summer then Covid. I'm watching/waiting.
    Chillis, B10Dave and gpfan like this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for dropping in and commenting napster. Nice to see new names in the posts. We are also patiently waiting the border opening. My riding buddy Maurice and myself usually go to Ohio in early August to the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club summer rally. Sucks to have to miss it for the second year in a row. I have been going there for more than 30 years now.
    Chillis, gpfan and chethro like this.