Rural Road Rambling (Mostly but not exclusive to Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Surprised I hadn't seen this yet, nice to see some local stuff, keep up the good work :thumbup
    B10Dave likes this.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went looking for water again today. Found some!! Took the Royal Enfield because....it was the one with a full fuel tank. There will be no "road" pics in this installment because I didn't ride any worthy of stopping for a pic. I left home about 11:00 AM heading north to Wilson Line which took me east to Pigram Rd. where I made a short jog south to connect with Ostrander Rd. This took me to the village of Otterville for pics of the bridge; dam/waterfall and mill.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 001.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 002.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 003.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 004.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 005.jpg

I continued east to Brown's Corner at Hwy. 59 which I took south to Arthur's Corners where I went east on New Rd. I continued east on a series of smaller roads to take me over near the City of St.Catherines and to the Ball's Falls Conservation Area. There are two waterfalls on the Twenty Mile Creek in this conservation area. I hiked up past the foundation ruins of the old woolen mill to the upper falls first.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 006.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 007.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 008.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 009.jpg

After a good look around at the falls I hiked back down along the Creek towards the lower falls and and historic buildings site.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 013.jpg

Continued.......
    popscycle, zookster, GAS GUY and 2 others like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The next pic shows which historic buildings are where on the site near the lower falls.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 018.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 019.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 025.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 020.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 021.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 022.jpg

The Ball house and grist mill are original to this site. The other buildings have been moved here from various locations nearby.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 030.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 034.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 032.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 033.jpg

It's getting late so I will continue this report tomorrow.

Continued.......
    popscycle, zookster, GAS GUY and 2 others like this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride 45 Waterfalls 035.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 036.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 042.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 043.jpg

Since it is midsummer the water flow in the creek is low and the falls are not as impressive and scenic as they would be in the spring. After viewing the lower falls I walked back out to the road, past this plaque and out on the road bridge to look up and down the creek.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 051.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 052.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 053.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 054.jpg

The conservation area staff use the paved water crossing to go back and forth with tractors and other equipment so they stay off the road bridge and out of car traffic.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 056.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 057.jpg

Continued........
    popscycle, chethro, zookster and 2 others like this.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I left Balls Falls I took a short ride to the Rockway Community Centre where there is a trail out of the parking lot which connects to the Bruce Trail. A short distance down this first trail is an observation point where you can look down into the gorge and just see some of Rockway Falls.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 060.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 059.jpg

From that vantage point the trail goes 300 meters to connect with the Bruce Trail; which you take for another 300 meters to get to the Rockway side trail. This goes 900 meters along the gorge floor beside the creek to get to the falls. The whole trail system is rough; rocky and steep ups and downs. I almost decided not to go as from the top the falls didn't look worth the effort. But, as I am not likely to be back there for some time I went down the trail anyways.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 062.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 063.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 065.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 066.jpg

At the gorge bottom it was hot and no breeze of any kind. When I did get to the falls there was a lot more to see than what the view from the top of the gorge indicated. I was glad I made the hike..........however I now faced a 1 1/2 kilometer hike back a mostly uphill trail to the parking lot where I left the bike. Ride 45 Waterfalls 069.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 070.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 078.jpg

This was a very welcome sight when I made it back.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 080.jpg

Continued.......
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the parking lot at Rockway Falls it is another short drive to the site of Decew Creek and falls and the site of the Morningstar grist and saw mills.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 116.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 101.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 106.jpg

The falls at this sight are not easy to see in their entirety as the gorge is overgrown with vegetation all along the pathway at the top. Next pic is the house Wilson had built for Emma to replace the one that was there when they purchased the mills.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 115.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 114.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 130.jpg

There are two waterfalls at this site but you can only see the second one by looking out over the brink of the first one and across the gorge. It is otherwise hidden from view along any of the paths that are open to the public.

Ride 45 Waterfalls 135.jpg

Ride 45 Waterfalls 134.jpg

From Decew Falls I mostly retraced my earlier route to make the 2 1/2 hr. ride home. Total distance today was 355km/213m. Very enjoyable ride and mostly enjoyable hiking. Thanks for coming along once again. Until next time.............
    pitbull, gpfan, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last night after supper my wife was busy doing her thing so I decided to go for a short ride in the still 80 F. warmth. I have not been to Port Bruce for awhile to check on the progress of the bridge move. I headed south from home on my R.E. taking various small roads to basically bypass the town of Aylmer and head to Port Bruce.

Port to Port 001.jpg

Dorchester Road.

Port to Port 002.jpg

College Line.

Port to Port 003.jpg

Rogers Rd. where I stopped to view the abandoned C.N. Cayuga Sub. and the long out of use coaling tower on the west end of Aylmer. Mother nature is fast reclaiming her own.

Port to Port 004.jpg

Port to Port 005.jpg
    The track is still there and also a second track/siding right at the coaling tower. Hard to believe the right of way abandonment process was only started a year ago April. The last train traveled this route on April 11th 2020. Nature sure works fast when left alone. I continued south on Rogers Rd. to Talbot Line/Hwy. 3 where you have to jog left about 100 ft. to continue south on Rogers Rd. At that corner is the Aylmer Evangelical Missionary Church where several guys were enjoying the weather and throwing horseshoes in the corner of the property.

Port to Port 006.jpg

Port to Port 007.jpg

Port to Port 008.jpg

Port to Port 012.jpg

Port to Port 010.jpg

Continued.......
    chethro, gpfan and popscycle like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I continued south on Rogers Rd. past a watermelon field. The bee hives they had used to pollinate the vines were still in place.

Port to Port 013.jpg

Port to Port 014.jpg

Guess the bees did their part.

Port to Port 015.jpg

At Conservation Line I went east to get to Imperial Rd./Hwy 73. I passed a pumpkin field which seems to be ahead of schedule and also a tobacco farm where the harvest is about half done. They appear to be done with third leaves and starting on fourths. For those who don't know, tobacco is harvested from the bottom of the plant and continues up the stalk as the leaves mature. They are then cured in the bulk kilns shown in a process called flue curing. The machine in front of the kilns is a priming machine which replaces a crew of about 6 primers. Tobacco priming (picking) is a labour intensive job when done the old way by hand and the primers hands get covered in tar like nicotine which sometimes caused tobacco poisoning. Priming machines came into existence because farmers found it almost impossible to get enough help to get their crops off before the first frost which effectively ends the harvest done or not.

Port to Port 016.jpg

Port to Port 017.jpg

Port to Port 018.jpg

Port to Port 019.jpg

Queen of Peace Catholic Cemetery is at the corner of Imperial Rd. where I went south a bit more to turn west on Jamestown Line and into the setting sun.

Port to Port 020.jpg

Port to Port 021.jpg

Port to Port 022.jpg

Continued......
    popscycle, chethro and gpfan like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I followed Jamestown Line through it's gentle curves for a couple of kilometers to the intersection of Rush Creek Line where I turned towards Port Bruce.

Port to Port 023.jpg

Port to Port 024.jpg

Port to Port 025.jpg

Rush Creek Line is a nice curvy road with a long curving down hill section to get down to water level as you approach Port Bruce. Port Bruce harbour and the creek are used exclusively by pleasure boats and there is no commercial fishing from this port. When I got into Port I checked for the temporary bridge and found that it had been dismantled and moved. There are pictures of it in an earlier posting.

Port to Port 026.jpg

At least this guy was attempting to blow the cut grass back off the road. I don't understand why people blow the grass onto the road to start with. In Ontario it is illegal to do this or put your snow on the roadway but people do it anyway. Dumb or ignorant of the law?

Port to Port 027.jpg

Port to Port 028.jpg

Port to Port 029.jpg

Port to Port 030.jpg

Port to Port 031.jpg

I rode the loop down past the Provincial Park beach and stopped at the park/pavilion beside the pier.

Port to Port 032.jpg

Continued.......
    popscycle and chethro like this.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    While stopped there I took a few pictures. A fisherman returning to port from Lake Erie, gulls on the breakwater wall and floating on the lake and some of the ugly scenery destroying wind turbines foisted on us by the previous Liberal ( left wing) provincial government.

Port to Port 033.jpg

Port to Port 034.jpg

Port to Port 035.jpg

When I left the park area I went out of Port on the Dexter Line heading west into the sun again until I turned north on Fairview Rd. I was on my way to Sparta line to check the site where the bridge is being moved to . It will be re erected as a permanent replacement for the 100 year old one lane bridge that was removed from over Kettle Creek a couple of kilometers upstream from Port Stanley.

Port to Port 036.jpg

Port to Port 037.jpg

Port to Port 038.jpg

Where Fairview Rd intersects Roberts Line I turned left to go west on Roberts Line/ Sparta Rd. to the site being prepared for the re-erection of the bride moved from Port Bruce.

Port to Port 039.jpg
    The sun was getting low and picture taking was becoming an iffy proposition.

Port to Port 040.jpg

Port to Port 041.jpg

I crossed the Port Stanley Terminal Rail tracks where they are getting set up to replace some rotting ties. This rail line used to run from Port Stanley through St. Thomas and on to London. It was one of the first rail lines in Southern Ontario and did a great deal of freight and passenger hauling until the 50's when passenger service stopped and freight hauling continued into the 60's. The railroad started as a steam operation but was converted to all electric operation eventually. This part of the trackage now only goes from Port to St Thomas and is run as a tourist train.

Port to Port 042.jpg

Continued.......
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the bridge site they are still pouring concrete to reinforce the original abutments and adding some new higher up structure for the bridge deck/road surface to exit on.

Port to Port 043.jpg

Port to Port 044.jpg

Port to Port 048.jpg

The disassembled bridge is sitting on the road across the creek waiting to be reassembled and put back in use sometime in the next three or four weeks.

Port to Port 047.jpg

Kettle Creek can have a substantial flow during spring flooding and there is a concrete breakwater just past the bridge site to stop any erosion that would threaten the roadway.

Port to Port 049.jpg

I went into Port Stanley past the new fire hall and did a quick circuit. Nothing really to see on a Wednesday evening. Port is very busy on weekends during the summer as there is a terrific beach which draws lots of people during the warmer months. I went up Sunset Drive/Hwy. 4 into St Thomas where I got gas and a Wendy's frosty before heading home to park the bike with it's stablemates.

Port to Port 050.jpg

Port to Port 051.jpg

Port to Port 052.jpg

Port to Port 053.jpg

Port to Port 054.jpg

A very enjoyable little ride to take up a bit of time while the Mrs. was busy. Thanks for coming along. Until next time................
    beRto., olddude53, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tonight, Monday Aug. 30th it was the BMW's turn for a ramble. My riding partner Maurice and I decided to go to Stratford Ont. to attend Perth County Moto's weekly bike night. PCM is a parts and accessory supplier to mostly the Brat and Bobber builder crowd. They also do moto clothing and helmet sales. We rode to Stratford (about 40 miles from my place) and had supper at the Erie Drive In before going to the bike night.

PCM bike night 001.jpg

PCM bike night 003.jpg

The bike in the next picture is a 1958 Triumph T110. It is owned by a friend of mine. Bob is around 80ish and has been working on and restoring Triumphs all his adult life. If you look closely at the primary cases you can see where he modified the inner chaincase to adapt a Harley Sportster starter motor to give this Triumph an electric foot. He says at his age he may need the modification to keep riding his bike. The tank top case is a rare original 50's accessory piece.

PCM bike night 004.jpg

There was a fairly good turnout tonight and I will show some of the bikes that were there.

PCM bike night 007.jpg

Newer BMW

PCM bike night 009.jpg

Newer Triumph.

PCM bike night 010.jpg

An unusual choice of bike to chop. CB650 Honda.

PCM bike night 011.jpg

A V45 Interceptor and a nice CBX beside it.

PCM bike night 012.jpg

PCM bike night 038.jpg

And a pair of E Global electric bicycles/mopeds ? Not true electric motorcycles as they have pedals and a chain like a moped. The motor is in the rear wheel hub.

PCM bike night 021.jpg

Continued........
    GAS GUY, popscycle and chethro like this.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    A new Triumph 1200 Scrambler

PCM bike night 014.jpg

An R50/2 BMW.

PCM bike night 015.jpg

A BMW and a V Strom for the adventure bike crowd.

PCM bike night 016.jpg

A brand new Bonneville. The guy standing behind it on the right is the owner/modifier of the '58 T110 Triumph with the electric start.

PCM bike night 018.jpg

A Harley Shovel outfit.

PCM bike night 023.jpg

A just completed Norton Commando restoration/modification.

PCM bike night 024.jpg

Ducati Monster for the EuroBike enthusiast.

PCM bike night 029.jpg

Norton Commando Combat. Very well setup and much ridden bike of another friend.

PCM bike night 032.jpg

Indian Chief. If you look closely you can see the sidecar mounts and brake linkage for the third wheel. This bike hails from Clinton Ont. and is usually seen with it's attached chair. I asked about it and he said about 4 hours prior to me taking the photo the chair was still mounted. He decided spur of the moment that tonight he wanted to ride it solo, so off with the sidecar.

PCM bike night 040.jpg

In the front window of Perth County Moto the current feature is a Kenny Roberts replica/tribute RZ 350 LC Yamaha for your viewing pleasure.

PCM bike night 042.jpg

At this point Moe and I decided it was time to head back home. Thanks for looking in. Until next time............
    pitbull, Brenski, GAS GUY and 4 others like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great shots. Many of the photos remind me of parts of New England, especially the short roof eves. You don’t see eves like that in Alberta.

Also, I went to school in Connecticut with two sisters named Morningstar. I briefly dated one of them. Until your report on such a family, I’ve never heard of anyone else with that name. They were blonde haired, blue eyed Caucasians when I might have associated such a name to someone indigenous.

I sure do admire that Royal Enfield - for much the same reasons I’m drawn to Sportsters.
    B10Dave likes this.
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for dropping in and commenting RDA. I am really enjoying my R.E. I have over 21,000 klms. on it now.
    chethro and RedDogAlberta like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a couple of hours before supper today so I went to check on the bridge move progress. They are starting to reassemble it on the roadway on the south side of the creek. More pics as progress is made.

milton 053.jpg

milton 054.jpg

milton 051.jpg

milton 052.jpg

until next time.......
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today; Sat. the 11th. I set off about 8:00 AM to meet up with my ridding buddy Maurice and his R.E..It was the turn for the '48 BSA to get some miles as it has been neglected for quite some time now.Our first destination was to be Cycle Works shop in Wellesley Ont. for a ride in show & shine for older bikes along with a few vendors selling parts etc. From my house this is a 60 mile jaunt. BSA proved up to the task.

Ride 51 001.jpg

Waiting for Maurice and looking north on Elgin road.

Ride 51 002.jpg

Ride 51 003.jpg

Mister late as usual gets here and informs me he needs gas. Told him to head for Thamesford and fill and when I get the old girl restarted I will meet him at the gas station.

Ride 51 004.jpg

After that it was an uneventful ride to Wellesley along rural roads to see the bikes at Cycle Works. Here are some of the bikes that turned out while we were there.

Ride 51 005.jpg

Ride 51 007.jpg

The BSA bobber in the next pic has a Whizzer fuel tank but it is hard to see because of the helmet. Should have taken pic from the other side.:fpalm

Ride 51 008.jpg

750 Bonneville, '70 T100R for sale and a Shovel head in front of the shop.

Ride 51 009.jpg

Ride 51 012.jpg

Ride 51 014.jpg

continued..........
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few "creations" in front of the shop.

Ride 51 015.jpg

Ride 51 016.jpg

I can't decide if this is an early Sporty or a Sporty motor in a "K" frame. Newer front end and brake setup of course. Has the seat spring tube in the frame which is throwing me off.

Ride 51 017.jpg

Some bikes on display inside the shop.

Ride 51 020.jpg

Ride 51 021.jpg

Ride 51 022.jpg

Ride 51 023.jpg

Ride 51 025.jpg And a '59 Ford car and late '60's Ford pickup that were parked along the street.

Ride 51 026.jpg

Ride 51 027.jpg

continued.......
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just around the corner there is an old mill building which houses a store selling "reclaimed" furniture. Not fancy enough to be antiques I guess..:scratch

Ride 51 030.jpg

Ride 51 036.jpg

The mill pond, complete with resident swans is across the street. I believe the water to run the mill was piped under the street to a turbine before exiting back into the creek adjacent to the mill.

Ride 51 033.jpg

A nice Guzzi sport bike and an old Indian showed up while I was looking at the mill and pond.

Ride 51 038.jpg

Ride 51 039.jpg

Also a "Norsa"; Norton engine and what I believe to be an A10 BSA frame with a Benelli double sided front brake setup. Note the cable to both sides of the front hub along with the speedo cable.

Ride 51 041.jpg

A pair of Honda 400/4 Super Sports and another nice oil in frame Triumph.

Ride 51 042.jpg

Ride 51 043.jpg

It was time to continue our trip to the next destination for the day. We rode another 60 miles back south through Shakespear, Tavistock, Woodstock ( where we stopped for lunch) Holbrook, Springford and Courtland and we turned west at Gopher Dunes motocross track and off road riding park.

continued.....
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The owner of Gopher Dunes is a retired motocross racer and also a car enthusiast. He has put on a car/bike/tractor etc. show for the past 11 years. In this post I will show pics of some of his bike collection and some of the cars that caught my interest in the show. There were over 400 vehicles on the grounds this afternoon. First pics are some of Frank's collection of motocross bikes.

Ride 51 169.jpg

Ride 51 170.jpg

Bike on the right in the last pic is the current year championship winner and the bikes in line in the next pic are the championship winning bikes from the last several seasons.

Ride 51 172.jpg

Our bikes can be seen behind the Karmann Ghia in the next pic.

Ride 51 052.jpg

Nice pair of 427 big block Corvettes. One 4 spd and one auto.

Ride 51 063.jpg

Ride 51 151.jpg

Next two are a '60 Dodge with a 413 wedge engine with 2 four barrel carbs on a cross ram manifold. This is also a 4 spd. car.

Ride 51 138.jpg

Ride 51 139.jpg

Next pic is an original paint, unrestored '49 DeSoto. Owner told me he found it in a garage in the Toronto area where it had been dry stored for about 60 years. He replaced brakes, hoses, battery , rebuilt the carb, replaced the tires
    and spent 140 hours polishing and detailing the car. Chrome is also all original. You can see the results and I think the time was well spent. Not too many survivor cars in this condition with the original paint.

Ride 51 122.jpg

Last pic for the day is an iconic little Isetta with the 300cc BMW air cooled single cylinder engine.

Ride 51 109.jpg

It was now time to head for home so I rode an additional 30 miles to make my total for the day about 150. BSA ran flawlessly for the whole trip. Thanks for coming along on this ramble. Until next time................