Rural Road Rambling (Mostly but not exclusive to Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Vienna I continued south to Port Burwell where I stopped at the historic Trinity church for some photos. I think the one with the stained glass illuminated by the sun coming through the windows on the opposite wall is my favourite from this set.

day trip 29 078.jpg

day trip 29 081.jpg

day trip 29 084.jpg

day trip 29 085.jpg

day trip 29 090.jpg

day trip 29 091.jpg

On the way out of town I stopped at the wind generator interpretive centre for a few last pics and then went home for supper and a cold beer.

day trip 29 092.jpg

day trip 29 093.jpg

day trip 29 094.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for tagging along.....Dave
    chethro, zookster, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  2. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    All good stuff. I liked the info on the Quaker town, as my ancestors are from the US East coast and I believe Quakers. I also noticed your info on Burwell,we have a good friend from Minnesota named Bill Burwell. Only about a 100 km from a town by my name, Hallock ,Mn. Never made it there yet!
    And yes, we need to ride when the weather is good, I am looking to buy some Hippo Hands for winter, can't go south yet. Steve
    Chillis and B10Dave like this.
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was that a record back then for longest number of years lived?

Impressive.

I don't mind cemeteries. Keep them coming.
    B10Dave likes this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian; I don't know if it is a record but he certainly lived a long full life. I see many cemeteries in my area and will slow down on pictures. However there a a few very old ones with famous (in Canadian history) people buried in them and in the interest of history I will record them. One project I have in mind is to visit and take pictures of all the historical plaques and signs in my home county. I believe there are somewhere around 100 so it will take some time and enjoyable rides.
    Chillis likes this.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been just over a month since I last posted in this thread. Although our riding season is over until at least late March 2021 I will post some of my rides from years ago just to keep it semi active.This ride took place August 28th 2011. I do not seem to have any pics of my motorcycle in these pics but I would have been riding my 1978 Kawasaki KZ400C1 at that time. I headed north from home and rode up near the town of St Mary's and stopped in front of Fawcett used tractor parts yard for a picture.Take note of the Ford tractor atop the silo behind the main building. It has been there for many years.

SunRide 092.jpg

From St Mary's I rode southeast down to Ingersoll where the annual Harvest Fest show was going on. It is held in a park where there is plenty of room to display "old stuff". They have an antique car show as part of the festivities. There were two Hupmobiles from the same owner on display along with about a hundred other cars and the Ingersoll fire department's restored Stewart fire truck. Stewart trucks were made in NY state, I think in the Buffalo area.

SunRide 022.jpg

SunRide 037.jpg

SunRide 052.jpg

SunRide 067.jpg

SunRide 082.jpg

SunRide 091.jpg

SunRide 107.jpg

SunRide 033.jpg
    chethro, zookster, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also at the show were various tractors and old farm machinery and someone had a display of antique clothes washing machines.

SunRide 069.jpg

SunRide 100.jpg

SunRide 042.jpg

SunRide 057.jpg

SunRide 110.jpg

SunRide 036.jpg

SunRide 097.jpg

Also in the park is the Ingersoll Cheese and Dairy Museum

SunRide 030.jpg

From Ingersoll I rode south on Hwy 19 through Tillsonburg and Vienna to Port Burwell to look at the lighthoue. I have posted pics of it earlier in this thread.

SunRide 062.jpg

continued..
    chethro, zookster, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Port Burwell I went west along the Lake Erie road to Copenhagen to the chip truck in front of the General store and stopped for a perch and chips lunch.

SunRide 096.jpg

From there I went further west through Port Bruce and over to Port Stanley for a visit to the harbour. Back in 2011 the harbour was still controlled by the federal government. The responsibility for it has since been downloaded to the Municipality of Central Elgin. The grain silos in the pictures no longer exist and that land has been redeveloped more for tourism.North of the lift bridge is mostly pleasure boats and the commercial use of the harbour now consists of mostly fishing tugs. It is no longer dredged deep enough for the lake freighters to dock. The large tank with the mural contains liquid asphalt and even that commodity is now trucked into and out of Port and no longer arrives by ship.

SunRide 112.jpg

SunRide 071.jpg

SunRide 102.jpg

SunRide 044.jpg

From Port I went back east on the Lake Road to a vegetable stand and bought some corn to go with supper. Then to the Sparta Store for ice cream before heading home for the day. A most pleasant late August ride.

SunRide 089.jpg

SunRide 105.jpg

SunRide 001.jpg

I will try to post a different ride every so often so you don't forget me and my "Rambling"......hope you enjoyed the trip....Dave
  8. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:

I like the Beemer. Not sure how I missed this. The pics are OK too! :rofl Very nice!

All the food pics in different threads are killing me. Trying to lose 10#'s put on due to working from home since Covid.
    B10Dave and Chillis like this.
  9. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, Dave. Appreciate it!
  10. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread...

I cant wait too hit the Ontario Pan Handle...

Every 4 too 5 years too hang out with Relitives at Harley /// Wood Stock...

Lots of them...

Ill throw up some kool photos too if you don't mind...

And we could link up for a coffee ride,,, ride or coffee,,, coffee or just a short ride...

Of course we would have too do a Chapman's lce cream /// Coca a Cola float,,, at least 3 of them reach... Ha...

I heard they are healthy... :clap

Can wait too get some pavement and gravel down there,,,

Yes,,, link up since id be there for a strech of a month,,, and looking for shade...

Us western packer heads dont handle the heat that well...

Talking about my self that is... Ha...

Ill do a 1 month heads up next year before i head yours way...

Live in run about,,, pack the bike in the box...
    Get the unit unloaded and pin-it... Ha...

Western'er Canada Don
  11. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:

Chapman's is a great Canadian ice cream brand to be sure, but when I'm out in that area of Ontario, I'm looking for Shaw's Ice Cream, out of St. Thomas. It's pretty damn fantastic.

https://www.shawsicecream.com/
    B10Dave likes this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The following RR was from a ride on June 23rd 2019. I left home and headed somewhat northeast to the southern limits of Brantford Ontario where I picked up Old Hwy. 54 over to Caledonia. From Caledonia I continued on 54 towards Cayuga. Just before Cayuga I stopped in at Ruthven Park. This is the site of the Ruthven Mansion. Here are some pictures of the house and grounds. Along with being a historic site this venue is used for weddings, conferences,antique car shows and various other gatherings.

prowan 201.jpg

prowan 223.jpg

prowan 202.jpg

prowan 203.jpg

prowan 204.jpg

prowan 205.jpg

prowan 206.jpg

prowan 207.jpg

prowan 208.jpg

continued.....
    Chillis, TheAdmiral, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    prowan 210.jpg

prowan 211.jpg

From Ruthven Mansion & Park I continued south on Hwy. 54 into Cayuga and the junction of Hwy 3. I turned west on 3 and went over through Nelles Corners to Balmoral where I turned south on Regional Rd. 53 and rode down to the historic Cottonwood Mansion where I stopped for some pictures.

prowan 166.jpg

prowan 167.jpg

prowan 168.jpg

prowan 169.jpg

prowan 170.jpg

prowan 171.jpg

I have toured the mansion a few years ago and it is quite interesting. As the signage says from 1911 to 1988 only the back portion of the house was occupied. In 1988 the property was purchased by Larry Hamilton from Boston who is related to the original owners/builders of the property. He built the rear addition of garage and living space so he would have a home while he restored the main house to it's former glory. From here I went further south to Selkirk where I turned west and rode a series of back roads over to the Aylmer area where I turned north for home. Thanks for following and I will post more rides from the past until the 2021 riding season arrives here in southern Ontario.........Dave
  14. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope your stayin' warm up there Dave...

Happy New Year...
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year back to you Rudy. Yes; I'm staying warm and our weather hasn't been too bad so far this winter. I have blown out the driveway twice but it is clear right now and temps are hovering around the freezing level so thankfully very little snow still on the ground here. I just came from your thread and reading about your new camera setup. I hope the US and Canadian vaccination programs can do their job and give us some normality and an open border sometime in the spring. As "seniors" my wife and I should be able to get the vaccine as soon as the care workers, doctors, first responders, residents of care facilities etc. are done. Hopefully sometime in the late spring/early summer. Enjoy the Florida weather that I won't get to this year. Stay safe and healthy and enjoy your trip planning and day tripping.
    Chillis and black 8 like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures from a nice day trip I took in August 2016. I didn't take any pictures til I reached my first destination that day as I didn't know I would be posting it here at a later date. I left home and made my way westwards on back roads to Chatham Ont. and from there up Hwy 40 to Wallaceburg. From there it was further northwest over to Mitchell's Bay on Lake St. Clair for their annual car and tractor show. I took lots of pictures but I of course will only post some of them in this ride report.

M'bay16 028.jpg

It was a bit overcast and very hot that day. Pics from the little point and shoot I was using that day are just okay but they will have to do.

M'bay16 001.jpg

M'bay16 004.jpg

The blue Dodge had a very appropriate engine.

M'bay16 005.jpg

M'bay16 038.jpg

This one also.

M'bay16 039.jpg

The '64 Comet has a reworked 5 Liter. I owned a Canary Yellow example back in the late 60's with a 4 spd. and 289 CI with 225 HP.

M'bay16 049.jpg

M'bay16 054.jpg

continued.....
    zookster, chethro, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uh, Dave, don't feel as if you have to hold back on pics of this. We can handle it. :lol3
    black 8, Chillis and B10Dave like this.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are some of the tractors also on display that day.

M'bay16 193.jpg

M'bay16 194.jpg

M'bay16 195.jpg

M'bay16 201.jpg

From Mitchell's Bay I rode up the St Clair Parkway and took some shipping pics. The land you see in the background is the State of Michigan. The St. Clair river is a very busy waterway that serves both Canada and the US as a border and major transportation link to the upper Great Lakes.

M'bay16 209.jpg

The Algoscotia was built in 2002 as a double hull 488ft. long petroleum tanker. It is "upbound" heading for Sarnia/Port Huron and on into Lake Huron.

M'bay16 213.jpg

The John J Carrick is 407 ft. barge built in 2008 and usually pushed by the tug Victorious. In this picture it is "down bound" towards Lake St Clair and Lake Erie.

M'bay16 215.jpg

In this last picture the Carrick is meeting the "up bound" Algoma Olympic. This was a 730 ft. self unloader built in 1976. It is empty in this photo as can be seen by how high in the water it is riding. I said was a sentence ago because this ship was scrapped in Turkey in 2018.

continued.....
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I reached the intersection of the St Clair Parkway and Hwy 80, I turned right and headed east to the town of Glencoe where the downtown merchants had a Craft Festival and car show going on. Part of the main street was closed off for the car show and the craft festival vendors were set up in front of the restored C.N. train station. Some of the cars.

M'bay16 222.jpg

M'bay16 226.jpg

M'bay16 230.jpg

M'bay16 238.jpg

M'bay16 239.jpg

I parked near the train station which is located beside an active track. To the west of town an eastbound ViaRail passenger train was waiting on a siding for the westbound train to pass before continuing on to London and on to Toronto.
    M'bay16 247.jpg

M'bay16 248.jpg

M'bay16 249.jpg

Here is a pic of the restored Station and my bike in the foreground. You can see the craft vendors set up in front of the station.

M'bay16 252.jpg

My daughter is a "quilter" and she and my wife were set up in the craft area. Too hot for me to hang around so I continued on east via backroads to go home for some shade and a cold beer or three. Thanks for tagging along and I hope you enjoyed this "Ramble".
    zookster, TheAdmiral, chethro and 3 others like this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time for a report of another day trip I made on Nov. 15th 2015. The London Ontario area has quite a few bridges both railway and roadway over the railroads. Both Canadian National and Canadian Pacific have main lines that run through London. On this day I set out to photograph some of these area bridges. The first pictures are of a disused former farmer's bridge over the CP tracks in west London. This bridge is not used anymore because the land on both sides of the track have been bought by developers and are being made into residential subdivisions.

lonbr 001.jpg

lonbr 003.jpg

lonbr 004.jpg

Continuing west you come to Wonderland Rd. which has recently been rebuilt and widened so CP had to build a new bridge over it. The bridge was built a couple of years before the planned roadworks.

lonbr 005.jpg

A little bit more to the west is an older bridge that has been reinforced to handle the weight of the newer six axle locomotives and the heavier trains they pull.

lonbr 008.jpg

When you come to the south end of Denfield road, which is the next one west of Wonderland, there is an old wooden bridge which only serves 4 houses to the south of the tracks. At this point the CN and CP are close enough together that this bridge spans both tracks.

lonbr 020.jpg

lonbr 016.jpg

lonbr 015.jpg

CP track to the left and CN to the right. This view is to the east back towards London.

lonbr 014.jpg

Continued...........
    Chillis, zookster, chethro and 2 others like this.