Rural Road Rambling (Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monday August 31st. Today was the Royal Enfield's turn. I just felt like I needed some two wheel time this afternoon so off I went.

aug 31 001.jpg

I went north to and through the hamlet of Crossley-Hunter where both the old school and the church have been converted into private residences.

aug 31 002.jpg

aug 31 003.jpg

aug 31 004.jpg

aug 31 005.jpg

I continued north to Avon Drive where I turned east and rode over to the hamlet of Avon. The once thriving store/residence is now only a house with empty space attached. The repair garage is doing well but the church is now a home.

aug 31 006.jpg

aug 31 007.jpg

aug 31 008.jpg

aug 31 009.jpg
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The old school in Avon has been closed for many years but until a few years ago it was used as a community centre. The township declared it surplus and it was sold and has been converted into a residence.

aug 31 010.jpg

aug 31 011.jpg

Continuing north on Putnam Road I passed Amish farms and came to the hamlet of Crampton. Smale Manufacturing has been making livestock feeders and fence gates for over 50 years and was started in an old cheese factory building. The church in Crampton has also been made into a private home.

aug 31 012.jpg

aug 31 013.jpg

aug 31 014.jpg

aug 31 015.jpg

Further travel took me past more Amish farms and closer to Putnam.

aug 31 016.jpg

aug 31 017.jpg

aug 31 018.jpg
    black 8, Brenski, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is the RE 650?
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The central school that replaced the Avon school and several others in the area was also eventually closed and sold. A company from Ingersoll that makes trophies and award plaques etc. used it for their factory for several years but it is now back in the education system as an exclusive private school. And almost across the road is a one room Amish school for contrast.

aug 31 019.jpg

aug 31 020.jpg

In Putnam I turned east to head for the Town of Ingersoll. The church here is still active doing what it was built for. Along the way is the Bonduelle vegetable processing facility where they process and flash freeze sweet corn, green and yellow beans, peas and I believe some varieties of squash for the North American market.

aug 31 021.jpg

aug 31 022.jpg

aug 31 023.jpg

aug 31 024.jpg

In Ingersoll I passed by the OSR railyard but it was devoid of train activity today. On my way out of town I went by P B's fry trailer. It was hard not to stop for a fry fix as they have super good fries but it was getting too close to supper time for a snack.

aug 31 025.jpg

I went out of town on Road 119 headed for Thamesford and on the way stopped to take pictures of the old Dickson's Corners hall which has also been converted to a house.

aug 31 026.jpg

aug 31 027.jpg
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love riding the R.E. I have over 6000 miles on it since April and have a new rear tire waiting to go on it next week.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Handling, refinement, efficiency, maintenance?
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming into Thamesford the sign informs you that this small Ontario village is where " the ( Ladies great) ride for cancer" was conceived and originated. There is also a picture of the large mill and dam that once graced the main corner of the village. The mill is now gone but the dam and millpond still exist.

aug 31 031.jpg

aug 31 032.jpg

Along the river on the way into the village the local Lions Club chapter has built a very nice park and walkway.

aug 31 029.jpg

aug 31 030.jpg

If you look closely at the picture on the sign of the mill and dam you can see a CPR railroad trestle crossing the river at the north end of the pond. Here it is up close and personal along with a view up the river a bit.

aug 31 033.jpg

aug 31 034.jpg

aug 31 035.jpg

I went west out of Thamesford on Hwy 2 headed into London. I turned north on Crumlin Road and took this picture of the Diamond Aircraft factory. This factory was originally built at the Crumlin (now London International) Airport during WWII to build the all wooden Mosquito fighter bomber. After the war it was bought by Somerville Industries and for many years they produced cardboard boxes and other packaging materials and many different board games. When that was closed it was bought by Diamond to build their Katana training aircraft as the plant still has access to the taxiways of the airport. At this point the batteries in my camera died and I didn't have any spares with me so I went back to Dorchester to my buddy's place for a beer and on home for supper. Thanks for following and there will be more as I travel.

aug 31 036.jpg
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fit and finish excellent; handles very well on paved twisties and hills and also on local gravel roads when unavoidable. Very good accelleration for a machine with only 48 HP.and I have seen 160KPH on the speedo ( not sure how close to reality it reads). Smoothest six speed I have ever ridden and the assist and slipper clutch has a very light pull and works very well. Averages about 80mpg on a 160 ounce Imperial gallon. Works out to about 65mpg on an American 128 ounce gallon. Super bike all around and the price can't be beat. Almost forgot to mention; I have not yet had to adjust the chain( first time I have worn out a tire without a chain adjustment) and the oil and filter change with it's spin on filter takes all of 10 minutes.
    zookster and Chillis like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    September 6th ride.

Today I was busy at home for most of the day ( cut grass, trimmed deadwood out of 2 shrubs, cleaned a blocked downspout,removed wall paneling from basement hall) but at about 3pm I needed some moto therapy. I checked the oil and gassed up the '48 BSA for today's ramble.

sept6 001.jpg

I went south from my place, jogged east one concession to Roger's road and continued south. At Cty. Rd. 45 ( John Wise Line) I went west to Springwater Road and turned south to Pleasant Valley Road. This is one of my favourite close local roads because of the curves and elevation changes.

sept6 002.jpg

sept6 003.jpg

sept6 004.jpg

Pleasant Valley Rd. ends at Quaker Rd. where I turned south to Sparta and then east on Sparta Line. This is another close local favourite that I usually include when I only have time for a short ride.

sept6 005.jpg

sept6 006.jpg

These steers were blissfully unaware what fate has in store for them.

sept6 007.jpg

At Imperial Rd. I turned south again and then west on Rush Creek Rd. and passed the Rush Creek Winery and the Gay Lea Dairy Museum.

sept6 008.jpg

sept6 009.jpg
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rush Creek Line tee's into Jamestown Line and I went north a bit to ride the hill and get a "Bike at the Bridge" pic.

sept6 011.jpg

sept6 012.jpg

This bridge is slated to be closed soon and not replaced. There are no houses or driveways on the stretch of road between the bridge and Rush Creek Line. This short stretch up the hill is in very poor shape and closed during the winter months and not plowed. Going north past the bridge it is a nice road and maintained year round.

sept6 013.jpg

After taking the bridge pic I went up the hill and south along Jamestown Line to take the back way into Port Bruce. No pics in Port as I will cover it on another day.

sept6 014.jpg

sept6 015.jpg

sept6 016.jpg

On the way out of Port Bruce on Imperial Road I passed one of the few remaining tobacco farms in this area. Harvest looks to be late this year as only sand leaves and firsts have been primed. Crop looks good though; hope they finish before a frost hits.

sept6 017.jpg

I continued north on Imperial Rd. to Calton Line and turned east. At Calton I turned north on the Richmond Rd which I have shown
    pictures of before so won't now. At Richmond I went west to Springer Hill Rd. and turned north again. I passed this old Ford with a huge load in the bed and a very unresponsive fellow behind the wheel.

sept6 019.jpg

At Glen Colin Line I headed west towards home. This area is considered a "rural settlement" area because of the large Amish population and as such has slower speed limits to make the horse drawn conveyances and pedestrian traffic safer. The last pic is exactly what I think when out on the old BSA. Home from here and ended up with a very pleasant ride of about 45 miles. Supper and a cold beer were waiting when I got there.

sept6 020.jpg
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I know it will sound like a broken record but that bike.. such a beauty.

Would not mind a modern interpretation maybe with a little rear suspension but not widened like modern bikes. Keep her svelte, just like yours.
    black 8 and B10Dave like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bryan; "modern" would take the fun out of it. :-)
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    True but can she do back to back 1000 mile days?
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    No; but I'm sure the RE could if I was of a mind to.:1drink
    Chillis likes this.
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday September 12th started out cool, 60F and the bike of choice today is the R.E. My purpose is twofold this morning. The rear tire on the R.E. is just about done so I want to get the last few miles out of it and the Grand River Section of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group is having a ride today that I will be joining in on.

trip22 001.jpg

The tire has just a little tread left in the middle as can be seen in the photo. No kidding about "chicken strips" please. I live in a relatively flat area with no chance of "canyon carving" roads to wear out the edges. My tires always have tread left on the edges and no way to use it here.

trip22 002.jpg

My new tire and bead breaker/tire change stand waiting patiently.

trip22 003.jpg
    My trip to join the road ride is a 60 mile cross country ramble on rural roads that pass through some small villages, hamlets and skirts around the edges of larger towns.

trip22 004.jpg

trip22 005.jpg

Brownsville had no sign on this approach for some reason.

trip22 006.jpg

trip22 007.jpg

I was headed east in the morning and west in the afternoon so lighting was a problem and I didn't have enough time to compensate with camera positioning and settings. So, the pics are what they are!

trip22 009.jpg

trip22 010.jpg

continued.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    More roads, the Jukasa Speedway 5/8ths mile race track, several pics at the meet up with the Grand River guys in the Tim Horton's parking lot in Cayuga Ontario.

trip22 012.jpg

trip22 014.jpg

The machines in the above pic are tobacco priming (picking) machines and replace a priming crew of 6 to 8 primers.

trip22 015.jpg

trip22 016.jpg

trip22 018.jpg

trip22 019.jpg

trip22 022.jpg

trip22 025.jpg

There were a bunch of car guys meeting in the same parking lot prior to their road run and they left before we did so we were treated to a rolling car show.

trip22 023.jpg

continued.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a nice 100 mile road ride we stopped at Larry and Elaine's for food, fellowship and motorcycle talk. Larry had his 60's Dot scrambler and his Sprite trials bike out on the lawn to look at. He raced the Dot and has owned it from new. The trials bike was made in England and shipped to North America in kit form to avoid import taxes. Larry's has a Hodaka engine on it.

trip22 027.jpg

trip22 028.jpg

trip22 030.jpg

trip22 033.jpg

trip22 034.jpg

When I left Larry's to head home I went around the southern edge of Brantford and took the Cockshutt Rd. to Oakland and on to Scotland. Between these villages I found the new Flux brewery so I had to stop for a six pack and glass for my collection.

trip22 036.jpg

trip22 037.jpg

trip22 038.jpg

continued.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    At Scotland I turned south and then veered right on the Vanessa Rd. At Vanessa I turned west towards Bookton where I took a "bike at a cemetery" pic and on towards Otterville.

trip22 040.jpg

trip22 041.jpg

This tobacco farm has finished harvest and the soy beans accross the road have about 80% leaf drop and will be ready to harvest soon.

trip22 042.jpg

trip22 043.jpg

trip22 044.jpg

trip22 045.jpg

trip22 046.jpg

Abundant corn fields in southern Ontario provide easy access for privacy for a "pit" stop when needed.

trip22 047.jpg

trip22 048.jpg

continued.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Otterville I stopped for a "your bike on a bridge pic" and took some of the Otterville millpond dam and the mill. Also their old railroad station has been preserved and open as a museum.

trip22 050.jpg

trip22 051.jpg

trip22 052.jpg

trip22 053.jpg

trip22 054.jpg

The waterpowered machinery is preserved in the mill and they did tours before this Covid 19 virus shut it down for now.

trip22 055.jpg

Beside the station is the former Quaker meetinghouse which is now a seniors centre and to the east and south are the Pine Street Burying Ground and Erbtown Cemetery from pioneer times in this area.

trip22 057.jpg

trip22 058.jpg

trip22 056.jpg

continued.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    A McDonald's in the background and people mulling around the fry trailer. A good sign.

aug 31 025.jpg

Edit: B10Dave - Outstanding rides in the collection. Very nice.
    popscycle, black 8 and Chillis like this.