1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rural Road Rambling (Southwest Ontario)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by B10Dave, Jul 26, 2020.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for dropping in. Glad you enjoyed my ramblings. Hopefully there will be many more.
    choppahead and Chillis like this.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Brian they are white when ripe. There are not many grown around here and I don't know what they are used for. Decoration? Pie?
    klaviator and Chillis like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weather was too nice today to not go for a short afternoon ramble. Mix of clouds and sun and high 50's temps. Went towards Ingersoll hoping to find trains and colour. All the employee cars were gone from the OSR parking lot so all trains were done for the day. The usual suspects were on the "dead track" on the west side of the building and the active locomotives were parked on the east side and inside.

oc 7 20 002.jpg

oc 7 20 004.jpg

OSR were the contract operator of the Guelph Junction RR for the City Of Guelph Ontario for 24 years. When the contract came due this year they either didn't bid it or were not successful in their bid but the job went to the Goderich & Exeter RR; a Genessee&Wyoming company. OSR built a new storage track to hold the power units they brought back from Guelph. I don't know if they will be used or sold but for now they are sitting on the new siding.

oc 7 20 001.jpg

I continued on into Ingersoll and then east to Woodstock with a specific quest in mind. Too make an excellent grilled cheese sandwich you need three things; fresh rye bread, a slice of mild red onion and real cheddar cheese. Cheese with a bite. Cheese with proper flavour. This cheese can be found at the Springbank Cheese outlet store. Woodstock is known as the "Dairy Capital of Ontario" and is surrounded with dairy farms of all sizes. I bought $20.62 worth of 9 year old and $27.92 worth of 8 year old cheddar. I have the onions from my garden and will get some fresh rye bread from my local on farm Amish bakery on Saturday. Saturday lunch will be a gourmet delight.

oc 7 20 007.jpg

oc 7 20 018.jpg

From the cheese store I headed towards home. I kept looking for fall colour and when the sun came out from behind the clouds there were a few places to catch some.

oc 7 20 009.jpg

oc 7 20 011.jpg

This guy kept me company for the whole ride.

oc 7 20 012.jpg

When I got home I took another pic of the woodlot across the road from my place. I think the colour is better then yesterday even but it could be that there was more sun on it today.

oc 7 20 013.jpg

Tomorrow is the CVMG London Section History Tour so there will be more "rambling" to show you...Thanks for tagging along.....Dave
    zookster, chethro, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  4. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Never heard of that before Dave... but I agree, the rye bread and mild red onions would give the grilled cheese a bite.
    Chillis and B10Dave like this.
  5. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang,,, thats not too far from my next of kin folks out there,,, Harley/ Wood Stock,,, London and Burford...

I hope too get out there next spring...

Little bike and the pickup truck...

Awesome thread... :clap
    Chillis likes this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comments Jeathrow Bowdean. Great little ice cream shop beside the butcher shop in Burford. I like to stop there whenever I go through there. Really good food wagon at the top of the hill in Paris as well. Couple of places for you to look up next spring.
    Chillis likes this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    There were 10 bikes and 11 riders and a chase vehicle out for our history tour yesterday. I took the BMW as the '48 BSA is not a motorcycle I would use for a group ride.

his tour 003.jpg

We met up and left from the Dorchester Legion parking lot.

his tour 014.jpg

his tour 016.jpg

A nice drive east on Cromarty Drive and it's extension had us stopping in Salford at a plaque commemorating Aimee Semple McPherson. Details in the photo.

his tour 018.jpg

his tour 017.jpg

From Salford we went south on Plank Line (Hwy 19) to Ostrander and made a left to go east to the village of Springford. Our stop there was at the Community Centre where there is a plaque with info about the start of free rural mail delivery in Ontario.

his tour 020.jpg

his tour 019.jpg
    More to come in next post.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Springford we continued east to Otterville where a stop was made at a rural church and cemetery which were established by free black people and escaped slaves from the U.S. Next few pics tell the story.

his tour 024.jpg

his tour 025.jpg

his tour 026.jpg

his tour 023.jpg

his tour 027.jpg

his tour 028.jpg

his tour 030.jpg

More of the tour in the next post.
    zookster, popscycle, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Otterville we backtracked past Springford and turned south on Cranberry Line to take us to Tillson Street and on south through Tillsonburg to our next stop.

his tour 034.jpg

his tour 031.jpg

his tour 035.jpg

After we left the Tillson plaque we proceeded south on Vienna Rd to the village of Vienna to explore the Edison connection in Ontario.

his tour 038.jpg

his tour 039.jpg

his tour 036.jpg

his tour 037.jpg

An extra bit of Edison history in Ontario is the info that T.A.E as a 17 or 18 year old worked as a telegrapher for the Grand Trunk railroad at the St Mary's Junction station in St Mary's Ontario. From Vienna we continued south to Port Burwell to see the oldest wooden lighthouse on the north shore of Lake Erie. After that stop we went a short distance up the street to Joe's "Q" for a nice barbeque lunch and said our goodbye's as we all went our separate ways home. I stopped in town at Martin's fish market to get 3 lbs. of pickerel to bring home with me.

his tour 042.jpg

his tour 040.jpg

That concludes the history tour report. I hope to get in many more rambles before the weather turns too cold or snowy to ride. Thanks for coming along...Dave
    zookster, EmmEff, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  10. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are the food pics? Especially when it is barbecue!
    black 8 likes this.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Left the camera in the tank bag Brian. I usually take a food pic but don't often post them.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like you are getting some nice colors up there. Hard to believe but we are already starting to get some way down here!
    black 8, B10Dave and Chillis like this.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Win, colours are good here right now. I think peak will be in about a week and then it is all downhill until next April..:vardy
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday afternoon was fairly warm but mostly cloudy. After installing the topper on on my pickup I went for a short " 2 Port Tour". South and east from home brought me to and past "Clovermead Adventure Farm" a local tourist attraction geared to the under 12 crowd. It was an orchard/apiary operation but when the second generation bought out the parents they went all out ( and continue to add to) tourist attraction. They still keep bees by the millions and have added quite a play ground operation. There are old trucks and tractors; a fort; a large boat and many other things for the kids to climb on and under and generally have a good time. They also have a "bee beard" contest each year where live honey bees are enticed to cling to and form a "beard" on contestants faces.

ride 26 016.jpg

ride 26 017.jpg

ride 26 018.jpg

ride 26 019.jpg

Further south on Imperial Rd. brought me into the town of Aylmer. I took pictures of the plaque commemorating the founding of Aylmer; and the present Town Hall/ Municipal Offices which was the Post Office/Customs House in it's previous life.

ride 26 024.jpg

ride 26 025.jpg

ride 26 027.jpg

ride 26 028.jpg

ride 26 029.jpg

More to come in next post.
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The building that was the previous Town Hall has been restored and is now the town library and a live performance theatre/concert venue.

ride 26 032.jpg

ride 26 034.jpg

ride 26 035.jpg

These two buildings are around the corner from each other and the space behind them is taken up by a parking lot and Palmer Park. In the park is a beautifully restored band shell which is used every Wednesday evening in the warmer months for live music and in December after the parade the kids meet Santa there.

ride 26 031.jpg

On my way south out of Aylmer I stopped for a " your bike at a cemetery" pic. From there I continued on down into Port Bruce; the first port on my two port tour. The lake was rough and waves were dropping water across the pier and leaving standing water in the parking area.

ride 26 036.jpg

ride 26 037.jpg

ride 26 038.jpg

ride 26 040.jpg

Not much going on in Port Bruce so I left town headed west on the Dexter Line for my second port of the tour Port Stanley.

More in the next post.
    zookster, chethro, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I turned from Dexter Line onto East Road and down the hill into Port Stanley. The Central Elgin Port Stanley fire station is at the bottom of the hill but not too much longer as they are building a new bigger building to replace it.

ride 26 081.jpg

Around the corner on the main street I took pictures of the 1889 United Church;

ride 26 077.jpg

ride 26 080.jpg

the 1854 Presbyterian Church;

ride 26 076.jpg

ride 26 075.jpg

and the 1845 Christ Church Anglican church.

ride 26 043.jpg

ride 26 044.jpg

This third church is the most historically interesting of the three and the plaque will explain why.

ride 26 041.jpg

ride 26 047.jpg

More in next post.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went around to the Port Stanley Terminal Railway station where I took pictures of the station; historical plaque and got up close and personal with "Stanley" the GE locomotive. The tourist train has not operated at all this year because of the virus so there was no activity at the station or in their rail yard.

ride 26 051.jpg

ride 26 052.jpg

ride 26 055.jpg

ride 26 056.jpg

ride 26 057.jpg

ride 26 060.jpg

There were several fishing tugs already tied up in the harbour and the tug "Cosley Brothers" was coming in off the lake when I was there.

ride 26 061.jpg

ride 26 065.jpg

One more post to come to finish off my "Two Port Tour".
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left Port Stanley and headed north on Sunset Drive to St Thomas. In St Thomas I stopped to photograph this mural and it is right beside another historical plaque so I took that as well.

ride 26 084.jpg

ride 26 083.jpg

Down the street and around the corner is a large mural which is significant to my family history. My grandfather served with the "Elgins" in both the first and second world wars and my father's first cousin also served with the "Elgins" during the second world war while my dad opted to join the RCAF instead.

ride 26 085.jpg

ride 26 086.jpg

ride 26 087.jpg

Further east along Talbot St. is another mural with a RR theme.

ride 26 089.jpg

After taking this pic I headed towards home for supper and a nice cold beer. I stopped for a "colour" pic and a pic of a combine in a dusty bean field.

ride 26 090.jpg

ride 26 092.jpg

Very soon after that I was back in my community and ready to turn up my road for the half mile ride to my house.

ride 26 093.jpg

Thanks for coming on the tour and I hope you enjoyed it....Dave
    zookster, chethro, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  19. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A very nice collection of pics! Your bike collection is nice too. I really like the BSA. It really looks good.

My rear tires wear the same even when ridden almost exclusively in the WV curves.
    B10Dave and Chillis like this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for commenting chethro. It is nice to know people are enjoying my efforts to document my ramblings. Unfortunately the weather will soon put a stop to things until next spring.