Russell Seat for 640 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmnate, Aug 11, 2004.

1. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally broke down and got a Russell seat for the Adventure. Man is it comfy. It did make touching the ground a little harder but it's worth it. I still have my Factory Comfort seat for the real dirt. I will be trying the Russell this weekend on a Dual Sport ride and report back later. Here is link to the ride report.

This is what the seat looked like during the process.[​IMG]

this is what it looks like finished.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Well, nobody ever bought a Russel because it looks good... this one is no exception! :evil
  3. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I'm glad somebody had the guts to say what I was thinking. I hate to call your baby ugly but I sure hope it feels better than it looks... :cry

CC
  4. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've got a Russell for my F650. It looks silly, but it's really comfortable. It does make flatfooting with both feet a little difficult, but it makes a 600 mile trip comfortable. Of course, when you are sitting on it, no one can see it, and that's all that matters.
  5. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    no problem. I already know it's ugly but it feels soooo goood.
  6. GoGriz

GoGriz Gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    Nate-

When I went up there for my RT's seat, Jim showed me all of the 950 pans they had waiting to be built up. When I came back a second time I had my 640, and one of the other guys on an ST1300 waiting on his seat mentioned that he'd heard KTM seats sucked. Jim said that was largely true for the 950s and that is why so many are getting Russellized. He said they basically put a motocross seat on the bike!

Let us know how you like yours as you break it in and after! Way to go, man!
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Sucks to be a fashion victim eh? Although if you need fashion and feel I hear boejangles' seats are da bomb.
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:

No Offense but are you F^^^ING Kidding me...
  9. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope! I know it's not up to the Ricky standard but man is it comfy. I still have the factory comfort seat for the dirt. But this thing makes going the distance much more fun. Before the seat, the best I could do was 60 miles without having to stop. On the way home, I did 180+ miles non-stop. It is actually more comfortable than my GS. It will probably suck off road, but will test this weekend just for shits and giggles.
  10. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    its far better then the cinder block seat that KTM throws on, the katoom seat is made for fashion , pure and simple, if the stocker were a true off road seat it would be a flat deck not the sharp angle rising to the rear.

I too first thought these seats were ugly, however if your concerns are motorcyle fashion , prehaps a sportbike or a cruiser is the way to go , but really who gives a shit about looks here? hmm look at the popular bikes here, KLR-whoa even kawasaki execs admit its one homely MoFO, GS? might be pretty to you, thats 'cause it works, the rest of humanity however its arolling ferry boat... KTM950? see last line, DL650? Frickin Alien front end ( just bought one too) ... do i need to go on?

A comfortable seat, a non burning ass, to me thats a thing of beauty. Thanks for posting this, if I had known they made 'em I might still have my LC4, ( 5 gallon tank- butt ugly to most people) . I think KTM must of studied seat design in a Turkish Prison. :1drink
    sanjuanbum likes this.
  11. doc riverz

doc riverz anatra di seduta

Oddometer:
    Right on, ktmnate. Now you can go both ways. Who cares if others don't like how you seat looks as long as your ass does? Not many KTMs out in the world have comfy seats. Now your's does. Way to go. I wish you many, many happy miles.
  12. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

sorry nate i was not trying to offend you or anything,since you are such a cool guy,but the first pictures were like a nightmare scene in a "the Zombies from Sturgis"

somebody will say,,,hey what ever float your boat,the good thing is in this case you already have the Boat already

again this is not to offend you,but everytime i see the pictures i think of this other pictures
    [​IMG]
    sanjuanbum likes this.
  13. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offence taken. I know the seat is ugly. The factory seat was just so bad, I had to do something. My daily comute is 36 miles each way. My ass would be soar before I got to work. I thought about Corbin, but had 4 of them in the past and didn't like any of them.
  14. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    oh yeah believe i feel you pain,i use to have a 640 ADVenture and for sure the seat was a big pain in the butt,not to mension the little b^^e balls,,that stock seat on the ADVenture is pretty much the wrost you can get,well actually many of the dirt bikes feature wrost ones but then the bikes are not soppose to go so far.

well how about increasing the room for your legs so your feet can sopport more or the body mass and you butt suffer a little less,also remenber the angle and location of the bars plays a big roll ,,is all about mass distribution the more you spread it,the least each contact point needs to carry,the better you body feels at the end of the day
  15. QMan

QMan prof. dirt mover

Oddometer:
    Each one his own taste etc, but NO WAY that will ever get on my bike.
    Freedom of speech, sorry I had to say this!

A rally seat on the other hand... :p
  16. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ Supporter

Oddometer:
    kick ass seat ...........looks fine. Only thing I'd do different is do it in orange instead of grey.....if you got it, might as well flaunt it.
  17. oygaromur

oygaromur Mr.Orange

Oddometer:
    They re looks like very confertable and very ugly...640 ADV is a hard-enduro touring machine...Ä°f you have one you must very strong guy...My sits orginal...I can ride over 280 km non-stop.:)) But your sits looks like a chooper cycle...Sorry guys...I dont like them...:(

Attached Files:

• ktm5.jpg
      ktm5.jpg
      File size:
      52.3 KB
      Views:
  18. twistedmind

twistedmind wrenching mostly

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE/]= I think KTM must of studied seat design in a Turkish Prison. :1drink[/QUOTE]

:rofl :rofl :rofl

amen brother.
  19. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    What is the difference between the Russell seat and the Rocky Mayer seat? Is one better than the other? I thought the thing that made the Russell seat unique was the use of springs in the wings, but it doesn't look like they did that with your seat.

BTW, I have a new Boejangles seat and like it. Beautifully made. Looks terrific. It is a significant improvement over the stock seat.

But no one should think that it is a real live touring seat. It is basically an upgraded off road seat. The contour is rounder from side to side and the valley is partially filled in, so you can move fore-aft more easily. All this is good for off roading. But it is still a very firm seat. BJ puts some gel in the seat just behind where your butt sits that you can slide back onto when your rear gets sore, but it is a bit too far back to sit there all the time (at least for me, and I have long arms, so probably for others too.) The section of the seat where you spend most of your time is more or less just as firm as the stock seat. My rear end still hurts when I use this seat, but it takes longer than the stock seat before the pain kicks in and there are more postions that you can get into on this seat once the pain actually starts so that you can take pressure off the butt. I have only put a few hundred miles on this seat so far, and I expect that it will break in over time, but I can't see it becoming a multi-thousand mile touring sofa. Time will tell.

So at this point it seems to me that if you want a really comfy seat for long days in the saddle, particularly if you are planning on staying on the pavement, I think that you really DO need to get a touring seat like those from Russell or the Mayers.

Probably the ideal solution is to get one of each. Then you can have the best off-road seat on the market for dual sport days and sport riding and a super touring seat for long days on pavement. Its only money, right?

:freaky
  20. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen the Mayer on a GS and it does look better. The Russell is prety damn comfy. It's not the best off road seat but it works. Oh, it has wings. Or as Dino said it's an "Ass Bucket". I did some dirt stuff this weekend. In the technical stuff where you must stand and lean back, it sucks. If you like to slide back on braking and then forward when you gas out of a turn, it sucks. The seat makes it hard to slide back and forth but it can be done.

That would be awsome. I still have my comfort seat and might consider doing that.

ps- for what it's worth, I do think it's ugly but I think it was the best investment for the KTM yet.