Rusty chain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomasv, Sep 29, 2019.

1. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

would like to ask for your opinion. For the first time I got a rusty chain:

On Friday we were riding a nasty single track and at one point my master chain link snapped - the chain went down to the mud. We replace the link , installed the chain but there was a lot of mud on it. Rode another 50+ miles - in the evening we got hit with snow and I trailed the bike home Saturday night in rain and snow.

When I woke up this morning the chain was super rusty and there was some rust on the rear and front sprockets as well. I am assuming all the mud, sand etc. wore of the protective coat and the rain/snow did not help - but it happened so fast.

I cleaned the sprockets and chain with WD40 and nylon brush, wiping it clean. But there is still some rust on some of the links and it looks like there is still some gunk on the inside rings.

The sprockets look OK

Does it mean I need to get a new chain? Or is it just a cosmetic issue and I can keep riding as long as I lubricate regularly? I would like to avoid shorten live for the sprockets. Chain is only about 9 months old, with ~ 1200 miles. Bike is Husky 701.

2019-09-29 14.20.32.jpg
    2019-09-29 14.19.23.jpg
  2. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Buy some kerosene and put some in a spray bottle. Spray and brush with toothbrush till clean. Lube with whatever but I like 90 weight gear oil lately after trying every spray known to man. Rust actually doesn’t mean anything if it just on the side plates. Scary that you lost your master link. That shouldn’t happen.
    Zuber, Richy and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    it's fine. just get it reasonably clean and keep some lube on it. Surface rust isn't going to hurt anything as long as your O-rings are OK.
    Richy, Renegade3, MNdirt and 2 others like this.
  4. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Done cleaning with kerosene and lube it with a silicon lubricant in a spray that I had in my garage.

Yeah, the link just snapped in the middle - bot sure if it was the rear wheel bouncing off the rocks under power or if it actually caught a rock on the side - but snapped clean:

2019-09-29 16.33.38.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I don't know much about SRT chains but if you are replacing it then DID X and O-ring chains are hard to beat.
    Big singles put a lot of stress on a chain and the last thing you need is a damaged case from a chain getting wedged.
  6. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Only reason I can see the master link snapping is if the side plate came off. Then for sure the remaining side would snap pretty easily. Cheers.
    spokester and LuciferMutt like this.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    My thoughts too, and I see a groove in that pin which makes me think OP had a clip style master link on there. He did a master link replace out in the field where it was muddy and dirty -- the new one probably did not get seated right because of grit or something and came off again.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

check your chain guide for wear, gouges/alignment. if you roll backwards and the master catches on it, you can dislodge the clip (clip style master obviously) and then work off the slip link until it breaks.

that chain looks toast, considering the west on the rear sprocket
    spokester likes this.
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    SRT chains are junk. It will break again. They are overly wide to get enough strength from the weak metal. The master link clips will hit the chain guides and knock them off or break them. The round o-rings tend to collect dirt in the grooves they make to the side links. You should replace it with a quality X-ring type chain.
    spokester likes this.
  10. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Thanks - any recommendations
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any X-ring quality chain will do. DID, EK, Reynolds, etc. Should probably get a riveting master link too. These big singles are tough on chains.
  12. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Must have gold side plates for more HP.

QUOTE="tomasv, post: 38576958, member: 31618"]Thanks - any recommendations[/QUOTE]