RX3+R3 = XT3 TENERE

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 79thunder, Feb 11, 2018.

1. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great build! Perfect amount of info/detail... I am interested to hear more about the end product once you are able to get out and find some roads/trails without the winter challenges. I agree that the 250's could use a bit more power. I have a Yamaha WR250X which I have considered modding into an adventure version but it really needs a bit more power to be able to run on the highways safely.

Thanks for sharing your build!:thumb
    Eatmore Mudd and 79thunder like this.
  2. 79thunder

79thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm going to look into that.
    From what I understand HDPE is used extensively in oilfield applications, so it should be easy to find here.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback, it makes posting the build worthwhile.

Thanks.
    I also have to admit that i do think they are great looking bikes.
    The fit and finish is very nice. The proportions are bang on the money.
    While it does borrow some styling cues, I don't think it looks like a knock-off.
    (even though it has been mistaken for both a BMW and a Tiger, I don't think it really looks like either one.)

The one aspect that I did not cover and maybe should have on page one, is that the ergonomics are absolutely perfect for me.

It is the most comfortable bike that I have ever ridden!
    I've had some 12-13 hour days on the bike.

So while it may be physically a little smaller (and obviously lighter) than a GS800 , Super Tenere, or Vstrom, the bike's ergonomics are full size.

All of that contributed heavily in favour of my willingness to use it as a "build platform".

For what it's worth I'm around 5'10", 190lbs and a 34-35" inseam.

Thank you.
    I do really appreciate it when you guys take the time to reply.

The one aspect which I find hard to put into words is that, when riding at highway speeds on a 250, it feels like you're riding a dirtbike on the highway.
    The Zongshen was significantly better than most.

With this bike, I aim to eliminate that feeling all together.
    The extra power, as well as the smooth, vibration-free parallel twin engine should be blissful at highway speeds.

Of course, there are always those who believe that you need at least 800cc to ride the tarmac while others can do it with 90cc's.

Huck369, Dutch idiot, DKCJ and 3 others like this.
  3. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow - this is awesome. I keep thinking about projects like this. It's always great to see someone build what they want when the manufacturers won't.
  4. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Ok, Here is where I had left off on the bike project.

XT-3.JPG

While it looks nearly finished in this picture, it was mostly just in "mock-up" stage.
    Although I was very tempted to sprint to the finish, I was glad that I didn't.

I was able to take a few steps back and look at the overall package and to make sure that I was satisfied with the
    looks, layout, serviceability, reliablity, material choices and finishes, etc...

In the end, I don't think that I changed much at all, but it was nice to be able to walk past it, or sit on it and fire it up now and then, before "locking in" the final product.
    I also found that it helped to look at pictures of the bike.
    It seemed to give me a broader picture, sometimes I think it's easy to get to focused on the smaller details when working on a project.
    I'm certainly not building a killer one-off custom bike, so the thought process may seem like overkill, but I am looking for a well laid out and thought-out, robust and easy to work on package.

As you can see, I had been playing around with the layout of some cooling slots for the skid plate.
    As well as fabricating many of the unseen, yet required small brackets and tabs for securing the ECU, regulator, fuel filter, coolant recovery resevoir, etc..

Happy with how everything had come together, there was only one thing left to do....
    Take it all apart again.
    plumer1kt, Anthiron, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  5. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    I pulled the engine out of the bike and was able to finally weigh the engine. DSCF0022 (2).JPG

The Yamaha R3 engine weighs in at exactly 90lbs.
    (97.5lbs minus 7.5lbs for my engine cradle)
    I'll add that information on the picture with the dimensions on page one.
    Huck369, racingxtc7 and JagLite like this.
  6. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    While the engine was out of the bike, I gave it a nice little clean-up and detail and installed some fresh spark plugs.

DSCF0065.JPG

The engine had just received a fresh synthetic oil and an oil filter change from Yamaha due to the outstanding oil pump recall, so it's ready to run in that regard.

Of course one of the major contributing factors in my choosing this engine is the fantastic service intervals.

Engine oil change at every 10 000kms. (6000 miles)
    Engine oil filter at every 20 0000kms (12 000 miles)
    Valve clearance inspection every 40 000kms. (24 000 miles)

All with a 87 octane regular unleaded fuel requirement!
    In my opinion, this is why the R3 engine is such a great candidate for a light weight adventure bike.
    These are the type of intervals that every properly engineered ADV bike should have.
    I will likely run shorter intervals than recommended, but it's nice to not have to change the oil every 1000kms or after every weekend like some other bikes.
    plumer1kt, Navin, 16VGTIDave and 3 others like this.
  7. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    I couldn't quite decide on what type of skid plate material to use.
    When I inquired about Titanium and UHMWPE locally, the guys looked at me like I was from a different planet.

In the end, I took the easy route and decided to spend a little on the exhaust and save some money on the skid plate.
    I can always build another skid plate, it's so easy to remove. The exhaust system I would like to be a one-time affair.

I grabbed a piece of 10 guage from the free scrap metal pile and bent up a new plate.
    It may cost me a small weight penalty, but i'll never worry about my oil pan getting damaged !!!!

I added some air flow vents, I'm sure the air flow will help and it visually breaks up the area as well.
    DSCF0031 (2).JPG

I also added some of the same perforated stainless steel that I used to form the radiator guard.
    Trial fit on the subframe:

DSCF0040 (2).JPG
  8. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    While the skid plate was clamped to the bench, some local guys dropped in for a visit.
    One of whom offered to take the skid plate to work and have it powder coated for a case of beer by Friday afternoon.
    I ran it through the sandblaster and tossed it in the back seat of his truck before he could change his mind.

He convinced me to have it done in "Silver Vein", I'm still warming up to it. Black would have been easy. I was expecting more of a contrast or a closer match to the silver body work.
    Couldn't beat the price though.
    DSCF0103.JPG
    plumer1kt, JagLite, crk and 1 other person like this.
  9. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    I also fabricated a small trim/filler panel that sits under the speedometer. It just gives it more of a finished look.

csc-rx3-7 028.JPG

csc-rx3-7 032.JPG

I may still add a couple of charger ports, but for now, I really like the clean and uncluttered look.
    plumer1kt, FR700, nuggets and 2 others like this.
  10. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    I finished off the aluminum rear splash guard. I used some dynamat on top and some rubber on the bottom side.
    DSCF0031.JPG

DSCF0032.JPG
    plumer1kt, JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    I did all of the finish welding to the subframe, crash bars, motor mounts, brackets and tabs and painted everything to match.
    I reinstalled the engine and accessories.
    I had to come up with a brake pedal that mounted on the outside of the frame. I picked up a used one from a Yamaha Wr450.
    Installation was easy, with a small bit of fab work for a pedal return stop.
    The fit turned out great.

DSCF0014 (640x373).jpg

I removed the tiny triangular MX style toe pad and welded on the larger one from the R3.
    DSCF0011 (640x480).jpg
    plumer1kt, JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  12. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    I had scored a free tinted windsheild from a member of the Chinariders forum and I decided to see how it looked.
    I don't mind the look on the silver bike. It is the exact same height and shape as the original windsheild.
    The tinted might be a pain to keep clean.

I have found the windsheild to be excellent on the RX3. I get no buffetting whatsoever and I have no problems seeing over it when off-road.
    Nice and quiet around my helmet, I do seem to get a lot of bugs on my helmet sheild though.
    Just part of riding a motorcycle. I'm tempted not to mess with it, but I may try a small laminar lip.
    come to think of it, I do have the tinted R3 windsheild that I could cut up for trial and error.
    csc-rx3-7 052.JPG

I also removed the factory bar end weights which allowed me to tuck the hand guards in about 2".
    I like the fit much better.
    I don't think I'll miss the weights with the super smooth R3 Ptwin.
    I can always reinstall them if I want.
    csc-rx3-7 044.JPG

Yep, I've added some Yamaha Logos.
    I'm not trying to fool anyone, I'd just like to at least get some heads scratching and a conversation started.
  13. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely magnificent! :clap
    79thunder likes this.
  14. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the build in this thread :thumb

Can I also say this image is a great resource and just wanted to say Thank you :thumbup

[​IMG]
    79thunder and JagLite like this.
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I gotta say it man, what I see at shows isn't custom anymore in my book. It's some kind of impressionist modern art or something.

Street custom in my book is something better than factory that improves function in every way and looks a little different, like it was made that way by the factory. Shelbys Cobra for one example.

This XT3 Tenere wins custom bike of the year in my personal book.
  16. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic job!!!!!!!!

Looking foreword to a ride report.
    79thunder and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  17. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    The most endearing comment I've ever heard about any of the bikes I've built is "it looks factory". I think this absolutely applies here! An excellent job there sir!!

Cheers... Paul
    79thunder and JagLite like this.
  18. cycletlh

cycletlh Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer:
    I agree on the looks factory! Congrats
    JagLite, 79thunder and more koolaid like this.
  19. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much!!

Wow! I don't even really know how to respond to that....Thank You!!
    That's very humbling, I was very hesitant about even putting the bike "out there".
    I am glad that some of you like the bike,
    or better yet, have taken something away from the either the process or the thread.

For myself, it has been interesting to say the least.
    Posting the build thread is far more work then actually building the bike.

I think the thread has many more views then I thought it would, but I can't quite tell if there are 5 of you that really enjoy it and keep coming back,
    or if there are just alot of passive readers surfing through.

Either way, thank you very much for the feedback!
    Now, where's my prize?
    (just kidding!)

I'm sure one of the CRF500L's would take it. Or any of the others down in this section, there's some very nice bikes in here.

Thank you very much!

Ride report??!!!!
    Crap! I thought I was almost done here!
    By all means, I'll report back if anyone's interested.

Thank you, again I really appreciate the feedback.
    Although I hadn't mentioned it, I was aiming for a factory look, I'm glad that it translates that way.

The 2 obvious visual deterrents are the exhaust system and the skid plate.
    I have struggled with that a little, but I can live with it.
    It kind of looks like I've added aftermarket exhaust and a skid plate to a factory bike, I'm ok with that.

Thanks!
    Again, I'm glad that the bike is perceived that way.
    DKCJ and JagLite like this.
  20. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    You're more than welcome!!
    I hope someone can put it to good use.
    I think that engine would be great in a WR or similar chassis.
    I find it difficult to find any real and/or useful information on the internet anymore, so I'm just trying to help out.
    JagLite and Pezz_gs like this.