RX3+R3 = XT3 TENERE

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 79thunder, Feb 11, 2018.

1. 79thunder

79thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
    I think the recent big bore kits are definately a viable option for anyone who already owns an RX3.
    With the recent sale price of $111 (reg $300) it would be a no-brainer!! I would think it would be a no-harm-done, it's worth a try type of deal.

For myself, I was committed before the big bore kits hit the market.
    I have no regrets what-so-ever, the big bore might net 5hp and 6 ft/tq ? (no idea, just a guess)
    The engine swap has gained much more power than that, and was alot more fun to put together.

I'm not going to lie.... half the fun was just seeing if it would work!!
    Obviously, maybe not something everyone can tackle, but not terribly complicated or costly either.
    FR700, Eatmore Mudd, GlennR and 5 others like this.
  2. MalcolmReynolds

MalcolmReynolds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very impressive build. You built the mythical bike that so many of us are looking for. Why manufacturers don't take note and fill this gap in the market is mind boggling. If Zongcheng will hurry up and bring the 380cc twin to market they will have a big hit on their hands. IMO that is right in the sweet spot.
  3. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a wrecked R3 for sale.east of me for 650$. I am thinking about picking it up to see if it will fit in a klr250 or klx frame.

Do you have engine dimensions? Length and width at the bottom of the valve cover specifically.
    JagLite and crk like this.
  4. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do not pass GO, Do not pay $200,
    Pay $650 and have FUN, FUN, FUN !!!

Don
    Roadracer_Al, JagLite and 79thunder like this.
  5. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

I'm not sure it's quite mythical.
    There are many guys searching for that something special on this forum.
    There will never be a consensus on what that is !!
    Until they invent a magic button that transforms a 250 lb enduro racer into a 100 hp canyon carving touring bike, it's all about compromise I'm afraid.

This just represents what and where I was willing to compromise. (other riders will have much different results but apparently a few are looking for something similar to me)

I do think the upcoming RX4 450cc single and RX3s 380cc twin from Zongshen are really going to be great bikes and will come much closer to "filling the gap".
    I would like to see a little more power out of each engine.
    I do realize that it's early yet and the spec's may change.
    Zongshen seems to be fairly conservative with the engine tune and strives for reliabilty and durabilty. (nothing wrong with that either!)

While it may seem as though I only focused on the R3 engine, I think I had a pretty good look at all of the currently available, and relatively modern, engines in the
    250-450cc range. (singles and twins)
    In my head, 440cc has a nice ring to it!

The power, size, weight, serviceabilty, reliability, availability, maintenance intervals, cost, etc, of the Yamaha R3 engine won in the end.
    (I also like Yamahas for some unknown reason, but I don't think I'm blindly loyal?)

When I started this project, the new Ninja 400 was unheard of. That looks like a very nice engine.
    It will take a couple of years before it's readily available in the salvage yards.
    It will also take a couple of years before the Zongshen 380cc twin hits the North American market.
    (For now it appears my bike is lighter than the proposed 380cc twin and has more horsepower)

I want to spend the next couple of years riding my bike, even though it's not perfect, instead of waiting for the perfect one, which may never come.

DKCJ, MalcolmReynolds and JagLite like this.
  6. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Did you see this from page 1...?

Yamaha R3 engine dimensions (585x640).jpg

I can also add this..from the same side. (That reads 5.5" and 6 3/8" by the way.)

DSCF0058 with measurements (640x552).jpg

And the front...

DSCF0054 with measurements 1 (640x577).jpg

The Right side....(the wide side of the valve cover, with the timing gears)

DSCF0052 with measurements (640x497).jpg
  7. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could i trouble you for one more dimension,

Width at the sproket?
  9. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the picture, I didn't know there was going to be a test!
    Measurement is a little tough to get now (in the bike) but from the outside face of the sprocket to the opposite side of the case is around 9 3/4".

DSCF0095 with measurements (640x480).jpg
    Navin likes this.
  10. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    Wow. Great job realizing your vision. I believe there are many who would buy that bike if Yamaha made it. Maybe you project will male them realize it's possible!
    79thunder likes this.
  11. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    I like it. You did a good job and the fit seems like its supposed to be that way.
    Been playing with the suspension?
    How's the rest of the bike holding up? Anything break yet?
    79thunder likes this.
  12. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    I have no idea if Yamaha will ever actually build a smaller sized Tenere.
    I kind of doubt that they would pop the R3 engine into a dirt worthy chassis like the WR 250 or WR 450.
    I am really surprized by how dirt worthy the upcoming T7 appears to be!

I can imagine them developing something to compete with the Versys 300 and GS 310 bikes.
    More like a scaled down Super Tenere. An adventure bike. Which I think has a broader, more universal appeal->higher sales numbers.
    I think it would end up very much like this one did.

I'm sure people would still find lots to criticize about it if Yamaha did build one. (too heavy, too expensive, ABS, no ABS, it needs more...(fill in the blank)
    It's hard to please everyone!!

This bike only needs to make me happy, I wouldn't want to be a Yamaha engineer or marketing analyst.

Thanks!!
    That's very nice to hear coming from you.
    You did a pretty phenomenal job on your bike.

I have not had time to play with the suspension yet. I've hit the busy season at work.

I'm very happy with the rear suspension, someone at the factory apparently set it up just for me!

Up front, step one will just be an exploratory tear down along with some new fork seals and a known quantity of heavier weight quality fork oil.
    I'll be taking measurements of the front springs, etc..
    I basically would like to establish a "base line".
    As far as I can tell, none of the other RX3 owners have made any changes or improvements to their forks yet. So I don't have anything to go by.

The front suspension is a little soft for me. Not much, maybe 10-15% soft.
    For most off-road trail riding, it's pretty good.
    On the trails, the bike has a nice light feel to it and I forget which bike I'm on. Ruts, rocks, creek crossings, etc are all good.
    There is a local "rock garden" that is full of basket ball to yoga ball sized rocks, that the bike handles just fine. Sharp, abrupt hits can be a little harsh.

It is not untill I jump the bike do I really notice that the front is a little too soft.
    There is a trail section where there are some man-made erosion control berms (about 4-5ft high) that turn me into a total holigan.
    Like I said, I forget which bike I'm on!
    This will never be a MX bike, but I think I'll start with some 10W fork oil. Ideally, down the road, I'd prefer slightly stiffer springs.
    I have a feeling they may spec out really close to XT250 springs, so off-the-shelf aftermarket springs may be possible.

In fact, in my experience, the front forks feels kinda similar to an XT's when off road. Not quite that light, but fairly supple and controllable.
    When I do bottom them out, there is no wallowing, drama or headshake though.

If I ride it the way I should, and use my legs to soak up the big hits and keep the bike closer to terra firma, I'm surprized at how well it does.
    I likely cover the terrain faster that way as well.
    It probably forces me to be a better rider, ride more fluidly and choose better lines.

As far as the rest of the bike, It's holding up very well. Nothing broken.
    Before tearing it down, I beat on it fairly hard, I wanted to be sure it was going to hold up!!
    I think the frame is way overbuilt, as is the rear subframe. This is where some of the "extra" weight comes from. Excellent quality robotic mig welds on the frame.
    The crash bars are quite well designed and built. (and tested)

All of the wheel bearings, head bearings, axles, etc are all of sufficient size, strength, and quality. Like every bike made today, more grease would be nice, but definately not the worst I've seen. The bearings are common sizes if replacements are needed.

The electronics are very good, the connectors are excellent, handlebar controls are very good, all the chassis hardware is tight, maybe even slightly overtorqued. (some seem to have soft heads and will be replaced as necessary) factory loc-tite was used everywhere!!
    Plastics are very good(fenders and trim panels). I had some reservations about the plastic luggage, but it seems pretty rugged and the latches and locks have held up well so far.

I've been all over the bike and have had some parts on and off several times during the build. (that reminds me, I should put the trim screws back in it eventually).
    I honestly believe it to be built at least as well as any Japanese bike built today.
    At around 1/2 the price.

I think the only real deficiencies were the:
    stock headlight bulb (35w replaced with a 55w Silverstar)
    stock front brake rotor (since upgraded to 11.5" floating rotor)
    stock chain (mine was still in great shape, but I'm fairly religious with maintenance)

These were all items I knew about in advance, but I had to give them a try first.

Anything else on the horizon is just maintenance. Unless I crash into something really solid!!

crk, JagLite and DKCJ like this.
  13. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That 90° bend on your adapter before the brake piston clevis/rod might bind upon full travel. Maybe I missing how you have that working, but when the brake pedal rotates down, it looks the clevis will bind.
  14. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Good eye!
    I know that it doesn't look like it should work but it does.
    There is enough play between the bracket and the clevis.
    The pivot ball at the brake cylinder allows for the slight change in angle.
    There is also only about 1/2"-3/4" of verticle travel so there isn't much "arc" to the swing.

That being said, I beat you to it.
    I changed it a while ago...
    Like you, I just thought it looked kinda funky.
    I moved the brake cylinder outboard about 1/4" for better alignment and ditched the adapter.
    DSCF0013 (640x480) (640x480) (428x320).jpg
    JagLite and OHjim like this.
  15. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Can you recall which EBC floating rotor you used? As I recall, the Zong bolt pattern or radius was slightly different from some of the Japanese bikes.
    79thunder and Huck369 like this.
  16. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done. My compliments.
    crk and 79thunder like this.
  17. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    I'd also like to know this........and GREAT JOB by the way!
    79thunder likes this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    how did I not run across this build earlier?

Freaking fantastic work Man. Really. I'd probably be on a RX4 right now if they were available. Mulled over motor swaps, but didn't (don't) have the skills you do. Simply beautiful work, and great choice in motor
  19. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Did somebody leave the barn door open? :scratch
    Who let the RX3 guys in here!!
    Now the place is full of Danimals...:lol3

Sure do, Sending PM

Thanks for the compliment, thanks for stopping in, but more importantly, thanks for the inspiration!!!

The fantastic photography, the stories, the people behind the scences and of course-> the bike!
    I quite simply wouldn't own an adventure bike if the RX3 hadn't been brought to our market.

I've got to thank you for this tidbit as well..

"Here’s the bottom line: If you’re waiting for tomorrow’s RX4 or RX3S instead of buying an RX3 today, I think you’re cheating yourself out of a lot of good riding. That’s something I’m not doing. I’m riding today. You could be, too."

That might have been the one that tipped the scales for me.

Thanks again!

Thank you!
    PM coming your way.

Thanks Dan!

But again, I'd like to thank you!

I certainly enjoyed your ride reports, photography, and the overall honest experience and opinions of the RX3.
    I know you had some trials and tribulations, but you also had some great times and fantastic trips.
    For me the take away was that you still really enjoyed "Merry" and still miss the bike.

Your experiences sold me on not only the RX3, but just getting out there and riding your own ride, wherever you ride.
    Your contributions to this forum inspired me to try and contribute what little I can...

Your new bike looks fantastic by the way!
    Nicely done, I know alot of thought went into the prep work on that baby.

My bike tells me it wants to go south too!!! (not going to happen for awhile, I'm afraid)

The good news is, it actually didn't snow today. (what a year!)
    I might be able to take the bike for a test ride this weekend or later next week.:ricky
    Pezz_gs, JagLite and Huck369 like this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words.

And her name was Merry

As in “Going Merry “, the first main ship used by the lead characters in an old Manga/anime called “One Piece” that I really enjoy
    The Merry (in the story) was destroyed in an emotional climax of year 16 for the show (now over 1000 episodes)
    The new ship that replaced the Merry was built by a Shipwright that became a crew member
    The new ship’s name is “Thousand Sunny” (Sunny for short)....which happens to be the new bike’s name
    Weird I know, but perfect in my world lol
    If you change your mind and head South, let me know. I’m on the road mid-June, riding the TAT West to the Oregon coast and South from there.
    Will probably cross into MX around 3rd week of August