1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rz350

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by rd400racer, May 21, 2013.

1. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like his are Toomey, they’re on my ‘85:

74E1E227-DE3B-4B9E-AF80-FE7C6CE5B6FA.jpeg

I had an ‘84 with John Loomis, to me, they were mechanical art, and have a much better sound than Toomey:

AC696147-7135-4D13-A46A-671DEFF37CAC.jpeg
    EricV likes this.
  2. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The MF'r from Cape C. is back for an RZ350 update.......

I will keep this one short. I finally got all the parts and pieces I needed for the repair (with one exception) and buttoned up the bike on Saturday. A minor set back was I had an accidental gear oil spill and was short by about 700ml. Got a quart today topped off the gear box to the proper level and managed to put about 3 hours and 100 miles on the bike before dark. All indications are the coolant is staying in the coolant loop and the gear oil is staying in the gear box. Suffice it to say, I had a very enjoyable evening. So doing some quick math in my head.....this current set of pistons now have a total of 250 miles and several hours so I am calling them broken in and as such I spent some time getting on it to see how the current ignition map is performing. The bike spins up nicely until about 7000rpm and then when things are suppose to go ape shit the power flattens out and almost seems to fall off. I believe this is due to Wheeler being extra conservative on the ignition curve to avoid more piston meltdowns. My plan is to ride it for a few weeks and get some time on the bike and then make an appointment with a shop up the road that says they can get things improved.

When I got home tonight my jacket and clothes were delightfully saturated with the sweet sweet smell of burnt Klotz!!!

[​IMG]IMG_1946 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_1950 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_1956 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_1961 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_1967 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_1971 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
  3. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you progressing, it’s sure a nice looking bike and you’ve got a great eye for photography, hope you get it sorted out real soon.

Real soon.
  4. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Power valves are cycling, yes?
  5. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    Yes, I believe so. When I turn on the key I hear it do a full sweep. While I am riding, however, I am not yet in-tune with the bike to tell if it is operating properly.
    dave0 likes this.
  6. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
  7. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    ***Defeated***. Some of you may remember my previous posts regarding my 1984 RZ350 and its long drawn out saga. Yesterday was a beautiful day in Central Florida and at approximately mile 32 of a 40 mile loop my left piston suffered what I believe to be a TOO LEAN seizure event. Over the last week or so I was slowly going farther and farther away from home as I was gaining trust in the bike. I was on a highway doing about 75mph in 6th gear (about 6500 rpm I think) and I heard the left side go. Thankfully there were no cars immediately behind me or next to me because I was in the fast lane. And another blessing was there was a large pull off area to the side of the road. I pulled in the clutch and gently rolled off the pavement into the pull off area. I called a friend that was literally 4 minutes away at the time and he came and picked me up so I could go get my truck--perfect timing. I am always fully prepared for this scenario--I have a remote controlled winch mounted in the front of my truck bed in the event I need to pull a dead bike inside my truck by myself (yes I have done it before). Got the bike home and pulled the plug and it looked guilty of a lean carb. I pulled the head and the damage seems consistent with a lean event. I specifically asked my "trusted' mechanic when I picked up the bike a couple months ago if he felt he had the carbs jetted right. He told me that he rode the bike and checked the plugs several times. The only other possibility is my oil pump starved the left carb of precious Klotz???

With everything that has happened with this fucking bike since Dec 2016 when I bought it this last set-back has left me........ DEFEATED.

[​IMG]IMG_2091 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr[​IMG]IMG_2092 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2093 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2094 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2095 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2109 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2110 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2111 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2112 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2113 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2114 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2115 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2116 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2117 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
  8. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    My condolences.
    I think you have more going on here if the bike wouldn't pull past 7K. You may need a different mechanic. Maybe try a Banshee builder.
    Meanwhile, my RZ is still hiding under a tarp waiting on crank seals and a refresh...sad I know, but life happens, and bikes cost you money! My Buell X1 just blew the transmission, and my Ulysses has an ominous noise that is likely a rod pin gone. At least my Guzzi runs!
  9. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    Whoa. Lack of piston-cylinder clearance?
  10. snarlyjohn

snarlyjohn Human money repellant

Oddometer:
    Nope, and it didn't run short of oil either. The crown is partially melted, almost certainly through running lean. The fact that the bike had been jetted, had done a considerable amount of miles without problems and then failed after some distance cruising on the highway leads me to suspect a problem with the fuel supply to the left hand carb.
  11. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo of the crown for your viewing discomfort!!

[​IMG]IMG_2134 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    aptbldr likes this.
  12. snarlyjohn

Oddometer:
    While we're doing show and tell, here's one I cooked a few weeks ago. Cause: my own stupidity in not having a fuel filter fitted which resulted in flakes of paint partially blocking the main jet... I understand your frustration but I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it.
    DSC07481.JPG
  13. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:

Piston tops are so dry & clean.
    Is this a normal condition?
    Snarlyjohn's example piston top looks more familiar (without the hole).

Thanks for the story & pictures.
    Wonderful machine, best wishes getting it sorted.
  14. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's funny, RD's and RZ's run really well stock, and particularly in the case of the RD350LC and RZ, are pretty darn quick. But they can be made to go really fast with mods, so the temptation to get more out of them is too strong to ignore. That's usually when trouble occurs.

I'm really pondering my own 2-stroke collection these days. They all need more work than I have time for or even want to do, injuries make kickstarting painful and I don't know if I want to be seen leaving a trail of blue smoke in these increasingly environmentally sensitive days. But god, I love these bikes.
  15. snarlyjohn

Oddometer:
    You make a very good point. There are very few mechanics around now who are truly competent with modified two strokes. I tend to believe that if someone wants to run anything other than a basically stock two stroke they need to have the ability to tune it themselves. And while a two stroke can make enormous power we have to remember there's a catch - if the ignition timing is a few degrees off at the wrong rpms, or the jetting is a little lean at one particular throttle opening, or the chamber outlet is a little undersized, then it's bye-bye piston(s). They aren't as forgiving as a four stroke. And unlike a four stroke you don't have to be running at WOT to cook a piston, they'll quite happily do it at part throttle. They can be challenging but on the other hand they can be very, very fast and that's what makes it worthwhile.
  16. snarlyjohn

Oddometer:
    OP's piston is cast and has a much thicker crown than the forged Wossner in my pic. I'd expect it to burn from the exhaust port in as it did, while the very thin top on my piston overheated and holed pretty quickly.
  17. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    I never intended to stray from stock--ever. However, 28 months of bike ownership and I have yet to enjoy this fucking bike for any measurable length of time. A failed OEM ignition module (that is not made anymore) was just the beginning of: 3 sets of pistons, a warped head, cracked side case allowing coolant into the crank case and now we have last Saturdays failure. The bike has been to 4 different mechanics because I am not mechanically inclined. I am always just one step away from getting it sorted out but the actual real reality is that money and time are not prevailing here.
  18. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    busa1300 likes this.
  19. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear all the issues you are having with your stroker.
    I would check what the timing and powervalve settings are on the Zeel....too much advance, and powervalves not opening as needed...or opening too fast...?
    I twisted my crank on my RZ350 back in 85, and sent out all my parts to Spec II and had them do a stage 3 port/head/PV job.
    They sent the parts back, I put it together and it has been running great for well over 30 years now.

ads-cars-bikes 119.jpg

I would say try to become somewhat mechanically inclined, and rebuild it yourself and learn your way through this time.
    The RZ350 is a reasonably simple stroker compared to the GP style 2 strokes that come after it.

The guys on the RZRD forum will love to help.
    aptbldr likes this.
  20. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    I am with you on that. My initial inclination is to sell the fucking devil girl as is but I will not sell it unless I garner about 50% of what I have into it. I truly would not expect any sane person to pay that much for a bike with a blown up engine so I will put the RZ off to the side and start working on it when the time is right. I am now 53 and need to start thinking about my first retirement project. Hello there you Yellow and Black demon, I have plans for you!!!
    dave0, motrhead and DirtMerchant like this.