S.E. Florida Rides

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Josh Leyburn, Feb 9, 2015.

1. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good choice on everything. White is a little harder to keep clean, so stock up on the Oxyclean and heavy duty detergent :rayof

Those boots I think are based on older O-Neal Elements. They will last a long time, though I would recommend save up for a mid-level boot like an A-Star Tech 7 enduro in the future. Better protection, replaceable parts, etc.
    RiderForge and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    I'm not worried about getting dirty. Almost all my motorcycle gear has always been dark in color; I'm sick of being too hot! I'm curious as to whether it makes a big difference.
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    A white helmet is cooler than a darker colored one and offers the best visibility to other motorists, unless you go hi viz yellow.
    I made the mistake of having a dark colored Shoei (RF 900) once, great lid other then the color...
    RiderForge likes this.
  4. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Did a quick loop to Holeylands this AM and confirmed that the gate is indeed back open to get to or from Snake road. Apparently the gate has been opened a few weeks back..:-)
  5. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    Headed to the Bahamas this morning. Looking forward to seeing that reopened road when I get back!
  6. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    All the gear came in while I was on vacation. Everything fit great first try. Basically good to go now! Let me know if you're going out! :clap
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    We did quite a loop today going through Holeylands twice to avoid the major roads as we went to Ft Meyers and Punta Gorda to meet up with some friends. The levees are dry and dusty but fast :evil
    Don’t know when we’ll be out there again as my brother needs new tires for his bike and mine needs a 12K service.. DIY projects of course :-)
  8. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    I'll send you my info. I have a birthday for my fiancé Saturday 6/1. Other than that I'm free. Happy to help out with maintenance too. I'm no expert but I have completely rebuilt a few 70's UJMs and a 90s gsxr 750. I'm sure the BMW is a bit more modern :beer
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer:beer but we’ll be fine as we have all the tools and It’s just tires and oil. Not a biggie :D
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. Downeyman

Downeyman Saddle up bitches, let's ride!

Oddometer:
    Did you ever get an answer to your e-mail?
    Ginger Beard and rider1150gsadv like this.
  11. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    No. They did not reply. It's sad. Looking at Google maps there are a ridiculous amount of ohv trails...

Still struggling in general to find places to ride around here. No luck.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma

Oddometer:

I went through exactly the same frustrations when searching for places to ride off pavement near downtown Miami. Yes, all those Big Cypress trails seem to be completely off limits to motorcycles...yet entirely open to 4x4s, buggies, and airboats! Shakin my head. :bluduh

After poring over GoogleMaps and trolling through various dirtbike and Jeep websites I never found any worthwhile off pavement places to ride in South Florida. I did find one very tiny motocross park near Miami, but nothing more; I am now convinced there simply isn't anything more.

:muutt
  13. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    We're even losing the last remaining places that do exist (Janes Scenic Drive) through the whole "oops there's no budget to maintain the road" technique.

Which 2-wheeler s**t in everyone's cornflakes? I don't understand the attitude around here. The further north you go the more people don't seem to single out 2-wheel vehicles.

Even if there was merit to the argument that "2-wheeled vehicles do more damage" (which there isn't) why isn't the solution to maintain the trail instead of ban everyone? All we have to do is charge a permit or admission fee to cover trail maintenance. I don't even care what it costs.

I don't believe any vehicle riding up a trail can "destroy" a habitat of 800 zillion acres either. They're saying the 600 million cars in Miami spewing fumes and countless industrial places of business about 5 miles to the East have no impact, but a dual sport getting 60-100 mpg on a trail within the park itself is killing all the penguins? I ain't buying it. No sir. Trails only makes up about 0.0000000001% of the geographic area of any park down here.
  14. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Youre dead wrong if you dont think there is a constant battle everywhere across this country to keep trails open to motorcycles. The battle isnt isolated.
  15. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    I'm not really looking to derail this discussion. I should not have even mentioned anywhere else. I'm sure you're right.
  16. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. Get the fuck out of here before it’s to late. I’ve stayed way to long.
    RiderForge likes this.
  17. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    The only thing my brother and I are riding are the levees and gravel roads in the Holylands area and the reservation west of there.... Not much else is left. :becca
  18. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    You ever make it further West to Okaloacoochee or just west of Lake Okeechobee? The terrain appears to change there on the map and roads are a lot less straight.

South of Lake Okeechobee (in the Cypess area or above it near Clewiston) looks dead flat and every road is completely straight. I also imagine most of those farms have gates everywhere and they probably don't like people using their dirt roads.
  19. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    We go up to Sebring on a few more twisty paved roads but there is a lot of private roads and gates on most of the dirt roads there too... It isn't easy finding open dirt roads here for sure...
  20. coletrain

coletrain All aboard!

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding Sunday? was thinking about doing all of loop road. Or anything gravel/levees. Would be nice to ride the middle of no where and not be alone.