S.E. Florida Rides

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Josh Leyburn, Feb 9, 2015.

1. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    If the weather cooperates I'm interested.
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. I'm not interested in being the highest item on the levees in a T-Storm however.....:doh
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish you guys luck in the swamp. I’m never coming back!!

IMG_1900.jpg IMG_1962.jpg IMG_1963.jpg IMG_1965.jpg IMG_1977.jpg IMG_1979.jpg 58527410082__37DCBB79-03D1-4485-8A7A-6A3CF71AA091.jpg IMG_1978.jpg
  4. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
  5. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    :photog:lol3
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

8 months of winter will fix his wagon! :lol3
  7. beaterktm

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. beaterktm

Oddometer:
  9. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    This was definitely the case for me up in NH because the winter lasted so long (probably a solid 6 months where temps hit below freezing at night). And even then I was definitely a lot more hardcore than average riding at temperatures below 50 when the roads were clear. Anyone else would only have 4 months to ride.

If the winter is short enough it might be OK. I'd probably save all of my maintenance for the off season. What I miss the most in the extreme south of Florida is back roads. If I hit the swamp area outside of Broward County it looks like most of it is 65+ mph straightaways. I'll have to work on that and see what I can find...
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I lived in Pembroke Pines for 15 years. There's no decent riding left in Broward. What little there was has either been developed or gated. You're going to have to travel if you want to ride anything resembling good riding.
    RiderForge, sanjoh and rider1150gsadv like this.
  11. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Dual sport hell:deal
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

It's not fun on a street bike either! :lol3
    Mikemm, rider1150gsadv and sanjoh like this.
  13. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    At least living in North West Broward helps a little in getting north of the lake pretty quick, and over some dirt....:-)
    I can at least pretend for 30 miles to be on an "epic" trip....:imaposer
    RiderForge, Ginger Beard and sanjoh like this.
  14. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Looks like nobody rode the entire month of August???:hmmmmm
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  15. LngRidr

LngRidr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's way too hot.
  16. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    I agree. Didn't do much riding myself either. Just some MTB and road cycling in the early AM...:pynd
    Ginger Beard and LngRidr like this.
  17. mrstormy

mrstormy n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, out at 7 am and home by noon or so. And this is just casual county road riding.
  18. chalaco

chalaco n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hot and wet, waiting for the area south of the Homestead Speedway to dry up.
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I rode. Mostly local and in the rain.
  20. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma

Oddometer:
    I spent an inordinate amount of time searching for a dense urban core to call home during NYC's godawful cold months, and thus spent a lot of time poking around Miami.

Just a bit of info for anyone out there that's seriously looking to leave SE Florida for somewhere with similarly warm-to-hot year 'round temps and almost eternal sunshine...but with a plethora of absolutely marvelous paved AND unpaved riding opportunities:

Los Angeles. Yes, California's politics are insanely leftist, and the govt's financial mismanagement is epic, and the tax rate is indeed very very high, but living in Downtown LA I can reach any kind of moto road I want in less than half an hour. Heavy traffic day? No problem--lanesplitting is legal in Cali. The hills surrounding LA are absolutely riddled with FABULOUS paved twisties and LEGAL dirt trails. I know having legal dirt riding in uber-environmentalist Los Angeles seems impossible, but by the grace of God this is one area where the city bucks its own trend. Desert trails, forest trails, numerous OHV parks for both bikes and 4x4s, the hills of LA have it all, and even in the dead of winter the daytime highs almost always reach 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit (although nighttime lows drop to 50F). During the "winter" the scenery admittedly gets quite brown (LA is technically in a desert basin), but outside of those months the region is absolutely gorgeous with desert scrub greenery, coast road greenery, and mountain forest greenery.

And I suppose I don't need to point out what the entire world already knows: Southern California is THE epicenter for petrolhead culture, whether your tastes are for slick modern supercars or vintage dirt bikes or big tire 4x4s or track days or land speed records or whatever. Contrary to Cal State's draconian leftist regulations on all modern forms of internal combustion transportation the laws governing vintage autos and motos are astonishingly relaxed, some of the most lax I've ever encountered, in fact. I daresay the vintage gearhead culture in SoCal is more blatant and alive and unrestricted than anywhere else in the world. There are so many rallies and races and events for any kind of motorhead preference that I couldn't even begin to list them all, from grassroots moto hillclimbs to the planet's most prestigious concours stuff like the Quail.

ALSO contrary to popular belief not all of LA is an endless suburban stain on the landscape. Downtown LA is dense and urban and completely opposite in vibe to the rest of the city's suburban blight; imagine Downtown Denver and Center City Philadelphia had a child and that place would be Downtown Los Angeles. It's nowhere near as lively as Midtown or Lower Manhattan, of course, but I guarantee it will surprise you with its buzzy street vibe. Many, many homeless folks and weirdos roaming about, obviously, but even Downtown Denver has that problem (I don't know of a major urban center that is free of such these days). Furthermore, outside of weekday morning and afternoon rush hours DTLA's streets are free of traffic congestion, none of the snarled nightmare that you've been conditioned to expect, absolutely none of it. In fact on weekends LA's downtown can be eerily quiet, as quiet as Downtown Miami on a weekend. And there's motorcycle parking everywhere.

And of course if you're not an urban person like myself there's a seemingly endless array of suburban neighborhoods to choose from, and at least almost as many little hill towns, too, each so quiet and quaint living there you'd hardly believe the glitter of LA proper is less than half an hour away.

As a New Yorker I used to absolutely despise Los Angeles and everything it stood for. I thought LA was the worst joke of a "city" that human civilization had ever played upon itself. But don't knock it 'till you try it, as the saying goes. Now I like DTLA so much that I'm even considering moving there full time; I resisted the pull with all my might for a long time, the pathological New Yorker in me screaming in rage, but the easy urban living of the city's Downtown coupled with the endless year 'round riding opportunities on and off pavement less than 30 minutes away have completely changed my mind.

Watch this episode of MotoGeo for some great visuals of what I'm talking about; all this filming was done just in the hills and mountains surrounding Los Angeles, nowhere else. To reiterate, living in DTLA I can be riding these exact same roads and trails in less than half an hour from leaving my home.

Oceandiving954 and lnewqban like this.