S fairing longer turn signal stalks

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by crazydrummerdude, Jun 9, 2019.

1. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm installing an S fairing and know that I need the longer turn signal stalks. I was doing a deal on other airhead parts at an inmates shop and bought a set of longer stalks he had on a shelf. When I got home and looked at my original stalks, I saw that the new ones are not quite as different as I was expecting. Google and MAXBMW confirm this and show a much more dramatic, longer stalk. So, what do I have here?

The narrow part of the stalks measure about 0.85" long on my originals and about 1.2" on the new ones.

20190609_171517.jpg 31421233943_1_B.jpg
  2. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's all you need. The longer stalks just make room for the eccentric grommets.
  3. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, they both work. I had long stalks on my first R80 "s"
    img02222016_003.jpg
    and I used short stalks on my second R80 "s" and I honestly couldn't tell much difference.
    c.jpg

The turn signal housing clamp still engages the notch in the stalk just as it should and there is enough room for the fairing hardware.
    IMG_8011.JPG

Here's an original R90S with later style turn signal housings.
    IMG_2325.JPG
    Square1 likes this.
  4. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    What I mean is, the MAXBMW picture I posted looks another half inch longer than the long ones I have.

I guess if you can also run the short ones, then my indeterminate ones will also work since they're longer than the short ones. Ok, cool.
  5. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are 3 lengths AFAIK. The shorter /5, the normal /6 and the 'S' length. I found the normal /6 did NOT work with my S fairing- the fairing had to be forced in to allow the stalk to engage the turn signal. But if you use the /5 signals, which are aluminum and clamp directly on the the stalk, then the normal /6 will work with the S fairing.
    lucky6600 likes this.
  6. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that the aluminum and plastic turn signals attach differently. I guess it makes sense for grounding purposes. I have aluminum signals on my /6 so it sounds like I'm safe.

According to maxbmw, the same stalk is used on naked /5, /6, and /7; 31 42 1 233 941. Applications with the S fairing get 31 42 1 233 943, which I included a picture of in the first post. It just looks significantly longer than my own long stalk.

I have the parts, so I guess I just need to mock it up and see.
  7. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:
    I may have a longer set here. I'll see if I can find them.
  8. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    The max ones do look significantly longer. As difficult as it is to "stretch" the fairing over the short ones, it's hard to imagine getting it over those.
  9. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect that the later /6 stalks supersede the older /5. BMW often only makes a later part if it also fits an earlier bike and can be a direct substitute.
    In the old days, if you mounted a Windjammer on a /5, the stalks could stay on. They had just enough clearance. On the /6 and later, you had to remove them, or as some folks did (gasp!) bend them upwards. On the /6 signals, the clamp is inside and inboard of the protruding part, so the stalk needs to be inside the housing, not just inside the clamp. The grounding can be flaky, so I have run an additional ground wire to mine, just like the /6 models have.
    And I have the longer ones on both 'S' faired /6s I have, and it is indeed a stretch to get the fairing over them. I wince every time I do it.
  10. Twinspleze

Twinspleze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 78 R100 with a Vetter, and PO just sawed them off almost flush to the ring. Luckily I have a Hannigan to replace it with, so I can get by with stumps.
  11. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that's an photographic illusion, although we've discussed what are passing for replacement parts these days. An important tip: If you have gaiters on your bike, slide them down the tubes before removing or replacing the fairing.

I have a customer who goes outside rather than watch me stretch his S fairing over the turn signal stalk.
    Kiwiabbo, ccmickelson and tlub like this.
  12. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    having “stretched” an S faring on once, i’d want the shortest ones that worked. i did not enjoy that step.
    airheadPete likes this.
  13. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a confidence test.
    Zoef zoef likes this.
  14. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    Since I'm having to replace the stalks anyway, could I sneak the fairing on with everything loose before buttoning up the triple clamp, thus negating the need to stretch it?
  15. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but it seems like more than 2 hands would be required to get that all to line up properly and go back together. Likely not worth it. Stretching it over is nerve wracking, but still easier than what you're describing, IMO.
    tlub and ccmickelson like this.